PDA

View Full Version : CFL Video Game

DanTheFan
02-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Although a very unlikely possibility, as a casual video game fan I would love to play a game with CFL teams, rosters, and rules. I was surprised to learn today that years ago, there was an official CFL computer game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFL_Football_'99

There was also a game that allowed you to use Canadian rules. It had no teams, but allowed you to customize rosters.
http://www.wintervalley.com/games.htm (also shows screenshots of CFL Football '99)

Has anybody played either of these titles? I'm in the midst of searching for where I could get my hands on a copy of the CFL one.

I also stumbled across the following in an FAQ with the commish from 2009(http://www.cfl.ca/article/commissioner-q-and-a-part-iv):
4. Commissioner, why does the CFL still not have a video game? There's been a lot of discussion about it for a decade now, but still nothing. When can CFL fans expect to finally see one?

I’d love to see one. In fact, I’d love to play one. Unfortunately, video game makers advise us that it costs millions to develop state-of-the-art video games and it would be virtually impossible for them to recoup that investment in a market the size of Canada. Let’s hope that changes as the technology evolves. We at the CFL would love to see it happen.

I'm not one who keeps up-to-date with the latest in gaming, but I'd get whatever platform a CFL game would come out on. I wonder what such a title would realistically sell (100K?). I guess I'll play one in my dreams.

Will
02-04-2012, 07:54 PM
I haven't heard the best things about the 1999 video game, although I haven't had the opportunity to play the game myself. There is a computer game on http://www.cflapedia.com that I've played, however it's not a game in the traditional sense. You can simulate games using basic plays and real players and while I commend the creator of the game it does have some bugs and other issues. The game seems pretty prone to have QB's throw multiple INT's and there are tons of penalties. Some notable seasons that he has created are 1968, 1988, 1991 and 2004. I also manipulated the player ratings on the terrible 1981 Argos team to make them competitive. I know this question has been raised plenty of times, but when Cohon says that the costs couldn't be recouped does he mean that they can't be recouped through an independent game or putting the CFL as one of the leagues on the Madden series? The NHL series features the CHL and the Swedish, German and Finnish elite leagues.

DanTheFan
02-04-2012, 10:04 PM
I know this question has been raised plenty of times, but when Cohon says that the costs couldn't be recouped does he mean that they can't be recouped through an independent game or putting the CFL as one of the leagues on the Madden series? The NHL series features the CHL and the Swedish, German and Finnish elite leagues.

A league within Madden would be, more than likely, the best I could hope for. Though I rarely played as any of the teams, I liked how the EA NHL games expanded to include other leagues. The most recent one I have is NHL 07 for X-Box, so I've never seen the CHL teams.

ArgoGabe22
02-05-2012, 11:48 AM
I agree that Madden adding on the teams would be the best bet. They used to have NFL Europa so why can't they have CFL teams?

R.J
02-05-2012, 08:37 PM
What I don't understand is how a CFL video game is extremely hard to bring out there and yet the Arena League has had a couple games come out. Am I the only one that thinks the CFL has a larger fan base then the AFL ?

DanTheFan
02-06-2012, 02:40 PM
What I don't understand is how a CFL video game is extremely hard to bring out there and yet the Arena League has had a couple games come out. Am I the only one that thinks the CFL has a larger fan base then the AFL ?

Arena football never appealed to me, though I admittedly have watched very little of it. What was the Toronto team, the Phantoms? Anybody ever attend a game?

Bomberman
02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Way too niche product to be anything but an extra content thing for Madden. I'd kill for one though. Played a CFL board game many years ago that used cards with players stats on them. Was fun playing with the "real" players.

matchuk
02-07-2012, 10:14 PM
man, i would absolutely love a cfl game for ps3...it shouldnt be too hard to actually get cfl teams added as part of the madden franchise, i guess the hardest part would be liscencing/legal issues

7dj83r8f78t4alf8