PDA

View Full Version : Did the Ticats tamper with Evan McCollough?

ArgoRavi
06-08-2013, 10:59 PM
It sure sounds like it from McCollough's comments in this article: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/07/mccollough-embraces-new-ticats-home

From the article:
Knowing Steinhauer would be in Hamilton made that business call to leave Toronto easier. Still, how did this all go down?

“I’m at home (in Maryland) with free agency coming up and wanting to go back to Toronto after winning the Grey Cup. Being there three years I know the fans love me and everything,” said McCollough. “I’m getting a call in the off-season and he’s telling me he’s going to Hamilton. He’s not telling me I need to come here or anything. He was just letting me know that Hamilton is looking out for me if I’m going to free agency.”

Argo57
06-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Just read it myself and thought the exact same thing. I'm sure The Ticats cringed when they read his comment.

Stevoman
06-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Hopefully he'll be adequately replaced but I liked his swagger out there. I don't know about tampering. It's a small league and so I'm sure there is more of this type of communication but we've been fined for as much.

AngeloV
06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
After the way the Argos got Chris Jones, I think it would be foolish to complain about this.

Midnight Blue
06-09-2013, 06:14 PM
After the way the Argos got Chris Jones, I think it would be foolish to complain about this.

All is fair in Love and War and Football !

I'm just glad that Saskquatchewan no longer has 47 Quarterbacks on their negotiation list, like they did several years ago.

Argo57
06-09-2013, 06:26 PM

I'm ok with it when it works in our favour, if McCullough would rather play in Guelph then so be it.

Stevoman
06-09-2013, 06:44 PM

We were fined for that. That gives us a right to now complain.

doubleblue
06-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Some guys probably don't like Chris Jones rough edges. Orlando is a much nicer guy. McCullough is a good DB but there a lot more out there just waiting for the chance, so he is replaceable.

Argo57
06-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Some guys probably don't like Chris Jones rough edges. Orlando is a much nicer guy. McCullough is a good DB but there a lot more out there just waiting for the chance, so he is replaceable.

This is when you put your faith in the Management Team and Coaching Staff to continuously keep replenishing the talent pool which fits the Argonauts offensive and defensive systems, so far so good.

ArgoRavi
06-09-2013, 10:38 PM
We were fined for that. That gives us a right to now complain.

Exactly! Fine the Ticats and I will be happy.

zontar
06-10-2013, 05:19 AM
A player was approached before offically going to free agency. Alert world media.

ArgoRavi
06-10-2013, 08:16 AM
A player was approached before offically going to free agency. Alert world media.

The Esks were just fined for doing that this year.

AaronInToronto
06-10-2013, 10:58 AM
It wouldn't pass the sniff test for 'tampering'. Tampering would need to have some dicussion on contracts, deals, terms, or a demonstrable sign of influence. These conversations happen all the time.

AngeloV
06-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Exactly! Fine the Ticats and I will be happy.

Who really cares about a fine? It would have zero impact on either team. I'm sure the Argos were more than happy to pay last years fine considering the results. I'd bet that virtually every player that signs day 1 of free agency has had some sort of contact with the new team prior to the official opening of free agency.

ArgoRavi
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Who really cares about a fine? It would have zero impact on either team. I'm sure the Argos were more than happy to pay last years fine considering the results. I'd bet that virtually every player that signs day 1 of free agency has had some sort of contact with the new team prior to the official opening of free agency.

Come on, Angelo! You have to hate the Ticats and want them to pay for this! You are being too nice. ;)

AngeloV
06-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Come on, Angelo! You have to hate the Ticats and want them to pay for this! You are being too nice. ;)

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age. Should they ever again make it to the Grey Cup, I will cheer the Ti-Cats over any Western team. They act as if they invented the game out there.

mchesher03
06-11-2013, 02:36 PM
had to go off-thread too but I'd back the Tabbies over any team out west - hell I even back them vs. the Als. Maybe we need a few good years with some Hamilton - Toronto east finals to get the heat back up.....

that said if all that came out of this was a fine (which evidences seems to support) - yawn.

Argo57
06-11-2013, 05:55 PM
had to go off-thread too but I'd back the Tabbies over any team out west - hell I even back them vs. the Als. Maybe we need a few good years with some Hamilton - Toronto east finals to get the heat back up.....

that said if all that came out of this was a fine (which evidences seems to support) - yawn.

I think we will see a much better Ticat team this year, they actually are in a similar mode as the Argonauts (pretty much set on offence and rebuilding the defence), the most important difference is the Grey Cup Championship.

ArgoRavi
06-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Might we see a Hamilton/Toronto Eastern Final this year at SkyDome (hopefully)? It would be a shame if such a game had to be played in Guelph before 15k capacity though so hopefully the Argos will finish first. BTW, I don't mean to count out the Als as they could still very well be a force this year. I don't see the Bombers being much of a factor however.

OV Argo
06-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Interestin' Ravi : i see a dog-fight for first in the East (agreed the Bummers are not going to do much); the Argos could have a high powered O, but maybe question marks on D (Jones knows how to fix that i trust (sort of)); the Als have a raw rookie HC with zero Canadian ball experience (hoping for another Trestman - good luck), but still have Calvillo, a great O-Line and some other weapons on offence - their D is a HUGE question mark though IMO; Pussycats have Austin running the show now and have to have some respect for what he did in leading the Riders to a GC win - sort of like the Als maybe in that they have some big weapons on O, but D maybe even more questionable ? - not going to win in Austin's first year IMO.

Argos take first; Als in 2nd with Ticats close - and Argos play the Als in TO in the East final - and crush them en route to Regina - to REPEAT as GC Champs - love to see them play the Green Riders at their home park and stomp them good ! Arrrrrrrrrrrgooooooooooooos !!!

KCargosfan
06-11-2013, 11:30 PM

This. +10

7dj83r8f78t4alf8