PDA

View Full Version : Scullers Scouting

bluto
06-10-2013, 08:27 PM
SCULLERS SCOUT THE REST

The evaluation process across the CFL becomes more magnified this week as the pre-season begins.

Teams continue to look at the players they’ve assembled, but they’ll also be playing close attention to what the competition has compiled.

In the case of the Argos, the team will conduct its live scouting on Wednesday when Toronto plays the host Blue Bombers.

Following the game, GM Jim Barker will head to Calgary, where the Stamps play host to the B.C. Lions on Friday.

On the same night, Ted Goveia, the team’s director of player personnel, will scout Saskatchewan and Edmonton in Regina.

On Thursday, player personnel assistant Chris Rossetti will be in Montreal, where the Als play host to the Ticats.

“We’ll collectively evaluate our team,’’ said Barker. “What we’ll also do is make cut-ups of players who fit what we’re doing.’’

As much film work as the Argos have done and continue doing, even more awaits as roster decisions will soon be made.

The Argos close out the pre-season next Thursday at home in a game to be played at Varsity.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/10/argos-carter-relishes-chance-to-lead

i wonder if this means that picking up a castoff or two may be in the cards...

also: the link is a good article by Zicarelli about Jalil Carter

OV Argo
06-10-2013, 09:45 PM

There are always, IMO, some very good football players cut by every CFL team at TC cut-downs; smart scouts should be able to identify those players and bring in guys in areas of need; some teams' thinkers prefer their own guys though and have little use for other teams' cast-offs.

The Stumps & Als both have a decent stock-pile of NI O-linemen - might be someone to be had there; also - some safety candidates (with Younger now gone - unexpected need/depth ?) - bound to be a few decent pick-ups worth a look at that position IMO.

bluto
06-10-2013, 09:56 PM
i was wondering about Safety candidates too. wonder if Barker has reached out to Ian Logan... if nothing else, he'd be a good veteran backup for Black and would solve ratio issues when you make a sub.

ArgoRavi
06-10-2013, 09:59 PM
i was wondering about Safety candidates too. wonder if Barker has reached out to Ian Logan... if nothing else, he'd be a good veteran backup for Black and would solve ratio issues when you make a sub.

Bringing Etienne Boulay back as depth could be another option.

bluto
06-10-2013, 10:04 PM

i suppose we'll be able to gauge how much of a problem spot Jones et al think that Safety (and other DB spots) are based on upcoming personnel moves (if any)

OV Argo
06-10-2013, 10:36 PM

Boulay is not that old, and unless he has lost interest or is out of shape or not into playing pro ball anymore ... ???

Guy was a very good starting safety at times for the Als IMO - very fast and can hit/tackle; Logan is another name who has shown he can play the position in the CFL. A number of very good CIS DBs from this year's draft class are in CFL TCs now too (Ticats have several NI safety types and they are likely going to start import Patrick (?)) I hope Matt Black can do the job, but little playing experience at the position.

AngeloV
06-10-2013, 10:45 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, the safety position with the Argos (and I believe trending in the CFL) has changed considerably. Logan and Boulay are traditional type safeties. With multiple blitzes happening on almost every down these days, you need a safety that can cover a receiver 1 on 1. IMO, Logan and Boulay can't do that. Matt Black can, and hopefully with the great speed he has, Jermaine Gabriel can develop into that type of player.

OV Argo
06-10-2013, 10:59 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, the safety position with the Argos (and I believe trending in the CFL) has changed considerably. Logan and Boulay are traditional type safeties. With multiple blitzes happening on almost every down these days, you need a safety that can cover a receiver 1 on 1. IMO, Logan and Boulay can't do that. Matt Black can, and hopefully with the great speed he has, Jermaine Gabriel can develop into that type of player.

??? - Logan may not be the fastest, but Boulay ran an outstanding 40 time at the CFL Combine in his draft year ( i doubt Black is faster, but maybe); plus he has lots of CFL experience at the position; Black was a US college ball corner (so was Boulay) = coverarge skills needed, but has zero safety playing time experience that i know of ?

AngeloV
06-10-2013, 11:32 PM
??? - Logan may not be the fastest, but Boulay ran an outstanding 40 time at the CFL Combine in his draft year ( i doubt Black is faster, but maybe); plus he has lots of CFL experience at the position; Black was a US college ball corner (so was Boulay) = coverarge skills needed, but has zero safety playing time experience that i know of ?

I've never thought much of Boulay in cover skills. Speed and college accomplishments don't necessarily mean a guy is a good cover guy in the pro's. Montreal's secondary as a whole hasn't been that great over the years but have been the benefactors of good cover LB's and a great front 4 IMO. Don't get me wrong, it is going to be a challenge for Black this season. From what I have seen of him in practice over the years, I think he's up to that challenge.

Argo57
06-11-2013, 08:07 AM

I think this is exactly what is in the works as one teams needs and talent evaluation can vary greatly from another's.
Some very good players will become available after the first pre season game, don't be surprised if someone starts very early in the season that isn't even on the roster at this time. Should be an even more interesting couple of weeks!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8