PDA

View Full Version : Greg Barton - Where are they now?

Oarsman
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Interesting article about former Argo Quarterback Greg Barton:

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_19897494

I was not aware that Barton was involved in bringing Joe Theismann to Toronto:

As a personnel official, one of his first recommendations was to sign a quarterback out of Notre Dame who wasn't sold on the NFL after being drafted by Miami, which had a young starter named Bob Griese.
So Toronto signed Joe Theismann.
"It was kind of odd to be signing a guy who could beat you out of your starting job," Barton said. "But I really liked being in management and getting involved in personnel decisions. And we know Joe was a pretty good quarterback."

argolio
02-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Learn something new every day -- I never knew Barton had a management role with the Argos.

From what I've heard he looked fine in '71 when he alternated with Theismann for part of the season, but when Theismann broke his leg in '72 and Barton became the starter, his nerves got to him. He threw nine picks with no TDs before he was released as a player.

ArgoRavi
02-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Learn something new every day -- I never knew Barton had a management role with the Argos.

From what I've heard he looked fine in '71 when he alternated with Theismann for part of the season, but when Theismann broke his leg in '72 and Barton became the starter, his nerves got to him. He threw nine picks with no TDs before he was released as a player.

Yikes. Didn't Tim Cowan have similar numbers as an Argo in '86?

argolio
02-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Yikes. Didn't Tim Cowan have similar numbers as an Argo in '86?I could be wrong but I think he had one decent game that season.

Found his season stats: In 9 games (not sure if that means he saw action in all nine or just dressed), he completed 20 of 48 for 302 yards, 7 interceptions and 2 touchdowns. He had very similar stats with BC that season in 9 games (20 of 47, 4 INT, 0 TD). Looking further back, his 1984 stats with the Lions were pretty decent (10 INT, 13 TD), and I remember there was some talk of him being a future star, but he never played after '86.

ArgoRavi
02-06-2012, 08:00 AM
I could be wrong but I think he had one decent game that season.

Found his season stats: In 9 games (not sure if that means he saw action in all nine or just dressed), he completed 20 of 48 for 302 yards, 7 interceptions and 2 touchdowns. He had very similar stats with BC that season in 9 games (20 of 47, 4 INT, 0 TD). Looking further back, his 1984 stats with the Lions were pretty decent (10 INT, 13 TD), and I remember there was some talk of him being a future star, but he never played after '86.

I recall him going to the NFL (Seattle, I think) after the '86 CFL season but I never heard anything about him after that. I know that he had one or two sons play NCAA football and one of them was a QB (Canadian-born IIRC).

7dj83r8f78t4alf8