PDA

View Full Version : Who will watch Super Bowl?

1argoholic
02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I watch the NFL but not into every single game and I don't get into all the betting crap. I watch the Vikes and certain other games. I'll watch the Super Bowl but the hype pisses me off. I hate the World Champ talk. I have to admit I hope for a blowout or a boring game. I just can't help myself as a huge CFL supporter to see the so called biggest game in the world to not live up to all of the hype. I hope former Wolverine Brady crushes Eli. If not that it's no skin off my arse.
I can't watch ten hours of pregame BS with Actors marketing tv shows and former players plugging all sorts of bs products. I watched an Alaska St Troopers marathon on National Geographic. It's all about guns, drinking and drugging while driving. Crazy.

Deerkeeper
02-05-2012, 05:25 PM
I'll be busy scrubbing my toilet.

294life
02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Me and my dad are settling in now. Gooo Giants! But if Pats win I won't be disappointed, Doug Flutie will be thrilled. It's win-win for me.

Will
02-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I will be watching because I love the game of football. I agree that it is a giant "hype-machine" and CTV News seems to be eating it up right now.

ArgoRavi
02-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I wish that the Canadian media hyped the Grey Cup as much as they do the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is the top story on all of the newscasts in Canada which wasn't the case with the Grey Cup. There is something very wrong with that IMO.

I will watch most, if not all, of the Super Bowl as this is the only NFL game all year that I watch that much of. I really don't care who wins though. BTW, it looks like people from Manitoba and Saskatchewan will tune into the Super Bowl in the largest numbers here in Canada: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/poll-suggests-more-canadians-could-watch-super-bowl-ads-than-game-itself-138603344.html

ArgoRavi
02-05-2012, 06:23 PM
I watch the NFL but not into every single game and I don't get into all the betting crap. I watch the Vikes and certain other games. I'll watch the Super Bowl but the hype pisses me off. I hate the World Champ talk. I have to admit I hope for a blowout or a boring game. I just can't help myself as a huge CFL supporter to see the so called biggest game in the world to not live up to all of the hype. I hope former Wolverine Brady crushes Eli. If not that it's no skin off my arse.
I can't watch ten hours of pregame BS with Actors marketing tv shows and former players plugging all sorts of bs products. I watched an Alaska St Troopers marathon on National Geographic. It's all about guns, drinking and drugging while driving. Crazy.

The Puppy Bowl is on Animal Planet at the same time so that might be more worth your while. :)

ArgoRavi
02-05-2012, 06:47 PM
There is a bit of an Ottawa flavour to the Giants. Former Renegade Lawrence Tynes is their kicker and former Rough Rider offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has the same job for New York.

R.J
02-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I wish that the Canadian media hyped the Grey Cup as much as they do the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is the top story on all of the newscasts in Canada which wasn't the case with the Grey Cup. There is something very wrong with that IMO.

I will watch most, if not all, of the Super Bowl as this is the only NFL game all year that I watch that much of. I really don't care who wins though. BTW, it looks like people from Manitoba and Saskatchewan will tune into the Super Bowl in the largest numbers here in Canada: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/poll-suggests-more-canadians-could-watch-super-bowl-ads-than-game-itself-138603344.html
Completely agree Ravi, it perplexes my mind. The CFL is our game yet the Canadian media doesn't give the League the push it needs, particularly in the Southern Ontario market. The hype of the NFL is unreal, as an example, my father.... a man who is in no way shape or form a football fan, watches CFL games with me from time to time, but that about it. He's a Habs fan and rarely even watches hockey, yet every year, the Super Bowl is a must watch for him. I have a lot of friends that know nothing about football let alone watch football, yet they have Super Bowl parties. I wonder what it would take for Canadians to think of the CFL in the same light.

294life
02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Giants dominated possession but Brady makes up for his 2-point mistake and the Pats' too many men penalty to keep it close at the half.

ArgoRavi
02-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Completely agree Ravi, it perplexes my mind. The CFL is our game yet the Canadian media doesn't give the League the push it needs, particularly in the Southern Ontario market. The hype of the NFL is unreal, as an example, my father.... a man who is in no way shape or form a football fan, watches CFL games with me from time to time, but that about it. He's a Habs fan and rarely even watches hockey, yet every year, the Super Bowl is a must watch for him. I have a lot of friends that know nothing about football let alone watch football, yet they have Super Bowl parties. I wonder what it would take for Canadians to think of the CFL in the same light.

Football is about third on the list of what the Super Bowl is about. Commercials are #1 and the halftime show is #2. The Super Bowl is a celebration of capitalism first and foremost and, as such, has a very wide appeal. The Grey Cup is a celebration of football first and foremost so isn't quite as sexy to as much of the public. Unless we "water down" or "sell out" what the Grey Cup is all about, I don't know that there is anything that can be done for the Canadian media to treat the Grey Cup as they do the Super Bowl.

294life
02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Giants wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!!!!!!! Oh yeah baby!!!!!!!!

ArgoGabe22
02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Had work so i watched 0 min. I honestly couldn't care less who wins or how good of a game it was. To be money kills the game of football which is why I don't watch the NFL . Who gets the Super Bowl? The owner not the players.

LLB997
02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
watched the game, wife is a new yorker. the game was less boring than i expected . Thats about the best endorsement i could give it.

1argoholic
02-05-2012, 11:19 PM
It was no classic but fairly boring. To me the play of the game was Wes Welker the leading receiver in the league dropping a catch that would have kept a drive going late for NE. Plenty of drops for Brady. Hard to watch two classical non movement NFL qb's. I always hope for former Wolverines to play well as a Michigan fan. Have to cheer for something since I hate both teams.Manningham looked great especially with that great catch on the final Giant drive. The game was very sloppy for two teams who had two weeks to prepare. A good example is both teams has 12 men on the field called against them.

argolio
02-06-2012, 01:52 AM
It was obviously a competitive game throughout but it sorely lacked big plays. Too much nickel and diming.

6.5/10

1argoholic
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Good call argolio. The first half put me to sleep.

Mulder
02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I watched about 30 seconds before half time when I left for the arena to play hockey and About 2 minutes of the start of the second half before I had to suit up to play

DanTheFan
02-06-2012, 02:36 PM
It was obviously a competitive game throughout but it sorely lacked big plays. Too much nickel and diming.

6.5/10

Good call. I was pulling for the Giants, but it wasn't nearly as intense as their previous SB matchup. I tuned in at 6 to avoid all the pre-game stuff. Can't stand the hype either.

ArgoRavi
02-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Good call argolio. The first half put me to sleep.

That's not saying much considering that the first half was the better half IMO.

Will
02-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Football is about third on the list of what the Super Bowl is about. Commercials are #1 and the halftime show is #2. The Super Bowl is a celebration of capitalism first and foremost and, as such, has a very wide appeal. The Grey Cup is a celebration of football first and foremost so isn't quite as sexy to as much of the public. Unless we "water down" or "sell out" what the Grey Cup is all about, I don't know that there is anything that can be done for the Canadian media to treat the Grey Cup as they do the Super Bowl.

So the Grey Cup is a celebration of communism? :)

R.J
02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
And the Numbers are in, an average of 8.15 million Canadians watched the Super Bowl. (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=387093) Also a great site to watch the Super Bowl Commericals (http://mashable.com/2012/02/06/super-bowl-2012-commercials/), my favourites would have to be the Coke ones (a bit biased as Polar Bears are my favourite animals) or "Fuerris Bueller".

ArgoRavi
02-06-2012, 08:10 PM
And the Numbers are in, an average of 8.15 million Canadians watched the Super Bowl. (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=387093) Also a great site to watch the Super Bowl Commericals (http://mashable.com/2012/02/06/super-bowl-2012-commercials/), my favourites would have to be the Coke ones (a bit biased as Polar Bears are my favourite animals) or "Fuerris Bueller".

The NFL in this country has got to be helped by being on four different networks including two different over-the-air ones (CTV, CITY, TSN and Sportsnet). Our little, old CFL is only on one cable network (TSN). TSN promotes the CFL quite well but having four networks promoting you is certainly better than having just one. I really wish there was a way that the CFL could have a presence on a greater variety of networks while still getting the maximum amount of revenues. I don't know if this is possible though. In recent years, I have noticed the difference in hype for the Super Bowl in this country vs. the Grey Cup, as I have mentioned previously, and we are certainly seeing a difference in the numbers for each event even though the Grey Cup continues to be a very strong property. Of course, having the Super Bowl on an over-the-air network which 3 to 4 million more viewers are able to access has got to make a difference.

1argoholic
02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
People are sheep by that I mean followers that get sucked in by marketing. The NFL is a marketing machine. How many of these viewers watch just the Super Bowl and no other games during the year?

Mulder
02-06-2012, 09:32 PM
People are sheep by that I mean followers that get sucked in by marketing. The NFL is a marketing machine. How many of these viewers watch just the Super Bowl and no other games during the year?

If the regular season ratings are any indication. More than 7.5 Million

I wonder if CTV used a +2 or more rating like the blue jays used for their ratings last season. They assumed there was 2 people for every TV tuned in.

argolio
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
If CTV is not going to air the Grey Cup, it would be great if the next TV contract had a CBC game-of-the-week (Saturday nights moving to Saturday afternoons when hockey starts), and the Grey Cup on both TSN and CBC. I'd prefer the CFL to have some over-the-air exposure.

R.J
02-06-2012, 11:27 PM
If the regular season ratings are any indication. More than 7.5 Million

I wonder if CTV used a +2 or more rating like the blue jays used for their ratings last season. They assumed there was 2 people for every TV tuned in.Mulder just wondering where you read about the Jays +2, I'm a bit of a ratings junkie and always in for a good read, and to be honest Rogers would pull that off just to show the Blue Jays have a "large" fanbase and to make more money from adverts.

ArgoRavi
02-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Mulder just wondering where you read about the Jays +2, I'm a bit of a ratings junkie and always in for a good read, and to be honest Rogers would pull that off just to show the Blue Jays have a "large" fanbase and to make more money from adverts.

Flutie02 mentioned on a Globe and Mail's comments page about this 2+ rating recently but another reader said that he was making a mistake and that the "2+" simply meant viewers who were over the age of 2.

Mulder
02-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Flutie02 mentioned on a Globe and Mail's comments page about this 2+ rating recently but another reader said that he was making a mistake and that the "2+" simply meant viewers who were over the age of 2.

Does that make sense though? I have not seen any other ratings using the 2+ after the number.

I read something similar to what Flutie02 read, to me it just doesn't make sense as to what advertisers would care and why BBM would poll anyone under the age of 2 for ratings?

The Jays had the highest ratings in MLB last year. That doesn't make sense does it?

Mulder
02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Mulder just wondering where you read about the Jays +2, I'm a bit of a ratings junkie and always in for a good read, and to be honest Rogers would pull that off just to show the Blue Jays have a "large" fanbase and to make more money from adverts.

I wouldn't put it past Rogers either, Considering they own the team, the broadcaster, the channel, and the cable service.

I'm not completely sure how ratings are taken, but if Rogers can poll their own digital boxes to capture TV ratings. Who's to say Rogers isn't controlling these boxes to get higher numbers as well? I just can't understand how the bluejays would be the team with the highest TV ratings in the league.

http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?p=1276583#p1276583 For reference here is where I got that Information. Not the best but I can't seem to confirm and as I stated above 2+ for older than 2 year olds doesn't make sense

7dj83r8f78t4alf8