PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a new CEO for the Argos?

Rocket
06-17-2013, 07:00 PM
I think that we need to get a new CEO here for the Argos to replace Chris rudge. I have yet to see any type of marketing or news for the upcoming season.This years Argos should be one of the most exciting teams to watch since the Doug fluite era. I just find it really sad that guys like Rickey ray,chad Owens,chad kackeret,Marcus ball etc.. Are not household names to the regular sporting person in the Gta! I think we need more aggressive marketing like what was done when Keith pelley was working with the Argos! I am curious to hear what you Argo fans think about this?

bluto
06-17-2013, 07:13 PM
just not sure what you get out of this. you're obviously trolling since you've been called out by several posters for your agenda of bashing Rudge and (baffling) longing for the c&s days... and what do you do in response? you double-down on stupid: this thread.

trying to squeeze out that last bit of trolling before you're banned again?

Rocket
06-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Never been banned from this site. Just started on this site a couple of weeks ago,don't know why you like complaing to me so much. If you don't have nothing to say don't comment at all to my post. I am a big time Argo fan and am concerned with how this Argo franchise is being run the last couple of years. I just want this Argo franchise to be successful and prosper for many years to come.

bluto
06-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Never been banned from this site. Just started on this site a couple of weeks ago,don't know why you like complaing to me so much. If you don't have nothing to say don't comment at all to my post. I am a big time Argo fan and am concerned with how this Argo franchise is being run the last couple of years. I just want this Argo franchise to be successful and prosper for many years to come.

i know that this is the part where you hope i get all mad and fly off the handle to satisfy your bizarre troll sensibilities, but i'm happy to watch you re-state your agenda and making your claim of fandom to attempt to shield yourself from your impending ban.

it has reverse trolled... you're actually amusing us.

u mad bro?

Rocket
06-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Bro don't bother commenting to my post then. Leave it alone if you want to start your own thread go talk about something else then I won't bother you.

argos1873
06-17-2013, 09:56 PM
No, I don't think Rudge should be fired. Not yet anyhow. He did a decent to excellent job on the Grey Cup, albeit with lots of extra money, ie., Federal, which I agree with anyhow. I say you cool your jets Rocket, and see how this year plays out. If attendance is down, or doesn't grow, then I say he failed. If anything, the Argos need a new owner, and that's not a beratement to Braley, its just that they need an owner who is commited to the Argos completely. Obviously easier said than done.

Some people may think that Rocket is a troll, maybe he is, or maybe he's just a frustrated fan which their are plenty of, who don't bother posting, or even know about this site, because everything Argos is on the backburner of this city, as per usual, except for a few glorious weeks last November. I'll admit, I'm pretty frustrated myself. It would be nice if this city took this team seriously, on a consistent basis. I'm not sure if Rudge or anyone is up for that task though.

Rocket
06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
No, I don't think Rudge should be fired. Not yet anyhow. He did a decent to excellent job on the Grey Cup, albeit with lots of extra money, ie., Federal, which I agree with anyhow. I say you cool your jets Rocket, and see how this year plays out. If attendance is down, or doesn't grow, then I say he failed. If anything, the Argos need a new owner, and that's not a beratement to Braley, its just that they need an owner who is commited to the Argos completely. Obviously easier said than done.

Some people may think that Rocket is a troll, maybe he is, or maybe he's just a frustrated fan which their are plenty of, who don't bother posting, or even know about this site, because everything Argos is on the backburner of this city, as per usual, except for a few glorious weeks last November. I'll admit, I'm pretty frustrated myself. It would be nice if this city took this team seriously, on a consistent basis. I'm not sure if Rudge or anyone is up for that task though.

Yeah but wouldn't you think that the 100th grey cup would have been a huge success to no matter who was running it? I think that game could have been played anywhere in Canada and it would have been successful. I do agree to a point that it might not be all Chris rudges fault the owner has not really allowed him to make a big splash marketing the team by opening up his wallet. But i do thank David Braley for coming to buy this team and paying the bills but I wish he would just tell the commissioner of the cfl to look for a more committed owner to this team while he is running this team right now for the future of this team.

Midnight Blue
06-17-2013, 11:17 PM

Well said, Argos1873.

I too believe, and have mentioned on another thread, that I agree with Rocket, and others who have noted, that the Argos could do with a bit more marketing in the off-season....

I mean, some simple stuff; 8 or twelve billboards downtown, proclaiming that the Toronto Argonauts are the 2012 Grey Cup Champions!; maybe some similar ads on subways/buses/streetcars ... no big deal. Just to let people know that the Argos still exist, in this town.

Actually, it has just occurred to me, that the Argos need their own beer!

Maybe a local brewery (Steam Whistle?) can brew an Argonaut beer?!!

Not sure if a beer company sponsors us now (and that's saying a lot, 'cus my memory ain't that bad), but Double Blue is probably out, unless Labatt's sponsors us, though I believe most beer companies sponsor Baseball (or at least used to). But I don't watch Baseball, so wouldn't know.

Argos Blitzburger? A German-style Lager?

Give me time ... and more beer; I'm sure I'll come up with other possible names --- unless I hit the wall, and then floor, first....

Cheers !

And, Ka' Pla !

AngeloV
06-17-2013, 11:25 PM
You know Rocket, you are all over Rudge and seem to have on the past trumpeted the promotional skills of the Mcnall/Candy/Gretzky ownership group. You do realize that the '92 Grey Cup (promoted by that great group) had close to 15,000 empty seats, right?

Rocket
06-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Well said, Argos1873.

I too believe, and have mentioned on another thread, that I agree with Rocket, and others who have noted, that the Argos could do with a bit more marketing in the off-season....

I mean, some simple stuff; 8 or twelve billboards downtown, proclaiming that the Toronto Argonauts are the 2012 Grey Cup Champions!; maybe some similar ads on subways/buses/streetcars ... no big deal. Just to let people know that the Argos still exist, in this town.

Actually, it has just occurred to me, that the Argos need their own beer!

Maybe a local brewery (Steam Whistle?) can brew an Argonaut beer?!!

Not sure if a beer company sponsors us now (and that's saying a lot, 'cus my memory ain't that bad), but Double Blue is probably out, unless Labatt's sponsors us, though I believe most beer companies sponsor Baseball (or at least used to). But I don't watch Baseball, so wouldn't know.

Argos Blitzburger? A German-style Lager?

Give me time ... and more beer; I'm sure I'll come up with other possible names --- unless I hit the wall, and then floor, first....

Cheers !

And, Ka' Pla !
Yeah I think anything would be better then what they are getting right now!

Look at when Keith Pelley was running things with the Argos
-installed banners on empty seats to make it feel more of a football stadium
-had there own Argo tv show on sports net each week
-brought in the first field turf at the Rogers centre
-installed the sideline lounge and end zone lounge to not make it such an empty feeling when you look at the field
-promoted team at grocery store a&p by selling a shirt and ticket to game with a giant display of when the Argos schedule of games were being played during season
-closed bremmener st in front of sky dome during home games for a big party at all home games
-had local bands playing different kinds of music at each corner outside of the sky dome
-selling tickets at 7 eleven with poster at store showing when games being played
-giving tickets to charities and kids in 500 level to get a better atmosphere in stadium
-setting up the anti-bullying campaign
-pelley was practically on every single radio and tv station during the week when Argos had a home game
Etc... I am sure there is a lot more that I can mention but from all of this Argos attendance was over 30,000 and they were talk of the town everywhere I remember the Argos logo everywhere in the Gta when pelley was there

Could anyone tell me what Chris rudge has done to make the Argo brand relevant in this city?

You know Rocket, you are all over Rudge and seem to have on the past trumpeted the promotional skills of the Mcnall/Candy/Gretzky ownership group. You do realize that the '92 Grey Cup (promoted by that great group) had close to 15,000 empty seats, right?
Did you know that great group from 92 had about 32,000 avg att for home games while last years team was 18,000! Don't bother to look at the grey cup lets just concentrate here on what the owners are doing during the Argos season! Don't get me wrong I don't think that the Argo owners of 91 were all that great either except for the first year where they made a big splash for this team.but still I think they did way better then this group of guys they got running this team right now!

Midnight Blue
06-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Yeah I think anything would be better then what they are getting right now!

Look at when Keith Pelley was running things with the Argos
-installed banners on empty seats to make it feel more of a football stadium
-had there own Argo tv show on sports net each week
-brought in the first field turf at the Rogers centre
-installed the sideline lounge and end zone lounge to not make it such an empty feeling when you look at the field
-promoted team at grocery store a&p by selling a shirt and ticket to game with a giant display of when the Argos schedule of games were being played during season
-closed bremmener st in front of sky dome during home games for a big party at all home games
-had local bands playing different kinds of music at each corner outside of the sky dome
-selling tickets at 7 eleven with poster at store showing when games being played
-giving tickets to charities and kids in 500 level to get a better atmosphere in stadium
-setting up the anti-bullying campaign
-pelley was practically on every single radio and tv station during the week when Argos had a home game
Etc... I am sure there is a lot more that I can mention but from all of this Argos attendance was over 30,000 and they were talk of the town everywhere I remember the Argos logo everywhere in the Gta when pelley was there

Could anyone tell me what Chris Rudge has done to make the Argo brand relevant in this city?

I have no problem with Chris Rudge.

He was at the helm, and deserves as much credit as anyone, for the 2012 Grey Cup.

Step one, is to bring a winning team to this town. Check.

Step two, is to add more marketing, in the off-season.

I'm sure the Argos Brass read this site, and are thrilled by the ideas presented here on this forum.

They deserve our congratulations, and I'm sure they appreciate the fans' ideas, and criticisms, here.

Ka' Pla !

Rocket
06-18-2013, 12:22 AM
I have no problem with Chris Rudge.

He was at the helm, and deserves as much credit as anyone, for the 2012 Grey Cup.

Step one, is to bring a winning team to this town. Check.

Step two, is to add more marketing, in the off-season.

I'm sure the Argos Brass read this site, and are thrilled by the ideas presented here on this forum.

They deserve our congratulations, and I'm sure they appreciate the fans' ideas, and criticisms, here.

Ka' Pla !

Yes I agree about bring a winning team to the town 100% but would you get a little more excited for this team if they played in front of 30,000 fans on a regular bases. This team should market itself more winning does not always bring in fans just look at the flutie era where it was a struggle to get 20,000 fans to the games.

Argocister
06-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Rudge is doing a good job. Perhaps his marketing is not what you prefer, but thats probably not the market he is going after. He already has you as a fan.
The CEO will have hired marketing experts. Rudge will do fine , and will be able to balance not only the marketing and communications but also the finances and the goals of the Argo organization. Marketing is but one segment of his responsibility. Improving the product on the field is one segment where the Argos have succeeded... and it looks like the product may have a few years of success. They are obviously focusing much attention to a younger fan base. ..... see superheroes thread. Sure, you think providing kids with a pre season afternoon last year was a waste? Perhaps for those the Star found, but I know of a few that got to go .... they're following the Argos now. Perhaps just teens now, but building a base for the future. Lets see how he does with the next goal of a practice facility and field.
.... perhaps you have brought this up again because you want the job? ;)

Midnight Blue
06-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Yes I agree about bring a winning team to the town 100% but would you get a little more excited for this team if they played in front of 30,000 fans on a regular bases. This team should market itself more; winning does not always bring in fans just look at the Flutie era where it was a struggle to get 20,000 fans to the games.

Sure, I agree that more fans in seats would be awesome.

That is the next goal.

(And please pardon my wee bit of editing.)

I have no doubt that we are all on the same page, including Management;

It is still an uphill struggle, to get serious recognition in this town.

We may have to win three to five Grey Cups in a row.

It is within the realm of possibilities, for this team.

Ka' Pla !

jerrym
06-18-2013, 12:37 AM
I thought Chris Rudge did a great job last year organizing for the Grey Cup. However, as has often been the case in the past when the Argos had success, the Argos have not done a good job of marketing this year. The Argos also need a new practice field. When Bobby Ackles came back to the Lions, he spiffed up the training facilities, even digging out pictures of past Lions heros to hang on the walls to develop a sense of pride in the players and to give the feeling of a professionally run team to the media and fans. Since Rudge did such a great job last year, I doubt that the lack of a good marketing job is all his fault and he might be restricted in what he can do by financial factors determined by Braley. Nevertheless, if there was no Braley there would be no Argos or Lions.

KCargosfan
06-18-2013, 12:39 AM
I think that we need to get a new CEO here for the Argos to replace Chris rudge. I have yet to see any type of marketing or news for the upcoming season.This years Argos should be one of the most exciting teams to watch since the Doug fluite era. I just find it really sad that guys like Rickey ray,chad Owens,chad kackeret,Marcus ball etc.. Are not household names to the regular sporting person in the Gta! I think we need more aggressive marketing like what was done when Keith pelley was working with the Argos! I am curious to hear what you Argo fans think about this?

I'm assuming Rudge has to work under a budget given to him by Braley.

1argoholic
06-18-2013, 12:40 AM
This is not new news in Toronto. This has gone on since we left the CNE. Marketing on a consistant and strong basis has lacked. Perhaps Rudge is bashing his head into a brick wall and getting nowhere with what he's trying to accomplish. TO is a very strange sports town, that's for sure. I think instead of playing nice and kissing up to other TO teams you have to mock them in a fun way about how you're the only team that ever wins anything. Why not?

Rocket
06-18-2013, 12:51 AM
I'm assuming Rudge has to work under a budget given to him by Braley.
Yeah I probealy would have to agree with that one. But if Braley is not so committed to this team he should tell the commissioner of the cfl to start looking for a new owner with deeper pockets to spend on this team.

This is not new news in Toronto. This has gone on since we left the CNE. Marketing on a consistant and strong basis has lacked. Perhaps Rudge is bashing his head into a brick wall and getting nowhere with what he's trying to accomplish. TO is a very strange sports town, that's for sure. I think instead of playing nice and kissing up to other TO teams you have to mock them in a fun way about how you're the only team that ever wins anything. Why not?
Hey why not try something new and different it's better then just standing there and doing nothing!

I thought Chris Rudge did a great job last year organizing for the Grey Cup. However, as has often been the case in the past when the Argos had success, the Argos have not done a good job of marketing this year. The Argos also need a new practice field. When Bobby Ackles came back to the Lions, he spiffed up the training facilities, even digging out pictures of past Lions heros to hang on the walls to develop a sense of pride in the players and to give the feeling of a professionally run team to the media and fans. Since Rudge did such a great job last year, I doubt that the lack of a good marketing job is all his fault and he might be restricted in what he can do by financial factors determined by Braley. Nevertheless, if there was no Braley there would be no Argos or Lions.

What good job did rudge do to this Argos team last year? I hear people mentioning the grey cup a lot but I am here to mainly just talk for the Argos team and season. So agree with you about a practice facility being built.

Midnight Blue
06-18-2013, 12:57 AM

I love it.

Argos Rule !

Toronto's Championship Team !

Ka' Pla !

(Put that, on every billboard in town !)

Rocket, I've been catching up on threads on this forum lately,

and I gotta say, that you've made your point about Mr. Chris Rudge many times.

Sometimes, the more a topic is raised, a point is eventually reached, where it becomes a case of diminished returns.

I think everyone understands your opinion.

If you continue with it, you will be taken even less seriously.

Cheers !

Mulder
06-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Sometimes, the more a topic is raised, a point is eventually reached, where it becomes a case of diminished returns.

Cheers !

Probably the most thought out post in the history of posts by Midnight Blue!

Rocket
06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Rudge is doing a good job. Perhaps his marketing is not what you prefer, but thats probably not the market he is going after. He already has you as a fan.
The CEO will have hired marketing experts. Rudge will do fine , and will be able to balance not only the marketing and communications but also the finances and the goals of the Argo organization. Marketing is but one segment of his responsibility. Improving the product on the field is one segment where the Argos have succeeded... and it looks like the product may have a few years of success. They are obviously focusing much attention to a younger fan base. ..... see superheroes thread. Sure, you think providing kids with a pre season afternoon last year was a waste? Perhaps for those the Star found, but I know of a few that got to go .... they're following the Argos now. Perhaps just teens now, but building a base for the future. Lets see how he does with the next goal of a practice facility and field.
.... perhaps you have brought this up again because you want the job? ;)

Yes a new practice facility and a field will go along way in improving the image of the football team within the Gta!

Cheers !

Yes I hear you! But I just like to have a discussion with people here on what Chris rudge has done for this team. A lot of people on here keep saying he's done a great job marketing this team and that he shouldn't be let go. Fair enough but I just can't see anything positive coming from this guy look at all the positive things that were done when Keith pelley was running the team. Did you read all the things that I mentioned when pelley was in charge on my previous post on here! All I am asking is what has Chris rudge done for this team?

1argoholic
06-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Simple and easy start. Run ads on buses, subways and around town saying, Come Support a Winner with a big Argo Logo over the the loser team logos. You could tastefully mock the losers. WTH!

paulwoods13
06-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Probably the most thought out post in the history of posts by Midnight Blue!

What he said!

Rocket
06-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Simple and easy start. Run ads on buses, subways and around town saying, Come Support a Winner with a big Argo Logo over the the loser team logos. You could tastefully mock the losers. WTH!

Yes that sounds simple and easy to do.Just wondering how come it is not being done then?

Mulder
06-18-2013, 11:18 AM

You mean like they did last year? And the full page ads they ran, some of which posted here wishing the Leafs and Jays good luck with Playoff run/season? I live 5 hours away from Toronto now and I've noticed more marketing in the past year than I ever had before.

I'd rather have 20,000 who want to be there and paid for their ticket. Than 30,000 of which over half are only there because they got a free ticket and are busy playing on their phones to watch or care whats happening.

Rocket
06-18-2013, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Mulder;30831]You mean like they did last year? And the full page ads they ran, some of which posted here wishing the Leafs and Jays good luck with Playoff run/season? I live 5 hours away from Toronto now and I've noticed more marketing in the past year than I ever had before.

I'd rather have 20,000 who want to be there and paid for their ticket. Than 30,000 of which over half are only there because they got a free ticket and are busy playing on their phones to watch or care whats happening.[/

ads for the Argos in newspapers have been always running with every Argo regime for the last 100 years! What type of marketing is given to the Argos when you are just wishing the jays and leafs who are the main focus of attention at the time? I guess you can say at least there is a Argo logo in the newspaper at the time. But can you name something where this team is actually really grabbing the attention of the Gta?

Mulder
06-18-2013, 11:53 AM
ads for the Argos in newspapers have been always running with every Argo regime for the last 100 years! What type of marketing is given to the Argos when you are just wishing the jays and leafs who are the main focus of attention at the time? I guess you can say at least there is a Argo logo in the newspaper at the time. But can you name something where this team is actually really grabbing the attention of the Gta?

http://www.argofans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=266

Rocket
06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Rocket;30832][QUOTE=Mulder;30831]You mean like they did last year? And the full page ads they ran, some of which posted here wishing the Leafs and Jays good luck with Playoff run/season? I live 5 hours away from Toronto now and I've noticed more marketing in the past year than I ever had before.

I'd rather have 20,000 who want to be there and paid for their ticket. Than 30,000 of which over half are only there because they got a free ticket and are busy playing on their phones to watch or care whats happening.[/

Mulder you might have found the problem with the Argos marketing its that Chris rudge is out there marketing where you are 5hrs away from Toronto! And not marketing the team in the city. Someone should tell Chris that the team is located in Toronto!l

Invader
06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
We don't really know the budget Chris Rudge has to work with. For all we know Mr. Braley has trimmed the fat to the essentials...and reducing the millions in losses which will be incurred this season. (And those Argo sky-writer ads might just blow away, anyways?)

Next year the new TV contract kicks in, with a extra couple of million to play with...and with 56 players with their hands out expecting a raise.

mchesher03
06-18-2013, 03:23 PM
my understanding (someone please correct me if i'm wrong) is that with the new tsn deal even the argos will make money this year. that being said - no the Argos do not need a new CEO.

Invader
06-18-2013, 05:01 PM
my understanding (someone please correct me if i'm wrong) is that with the new tsn deal even the argos will make money this year. that being said - no the Argos do not need a new CEO.
Yes, that's true. It was reported the Argos will be in a position to be profitable with the new TV contract, which comes into effect next season.

AngeloV
06-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I'd rather have 20,000 who want to be there and paid for their ticket. Than 30,000 of which over half are only there because they got a free ticket and are busy playing on their phones to watch or care whats happening.

Bingo!!

Until the Argos get up and out of the dome, there is nothing that Rudge, or anyone else can do to make the Rockets of the world happy. They need a smaller stadium period. Make it a tough ticket to get, and they will sell out. Right now there is absolutely no urgency for anyone to buy Argos tickets in advance. Then the game day creeps up on people (because of the lousy dates they get in the dome) and it's "Oh well, I'll just watch it on the tube".

I still believe that within 5 years the Argos will make plans to play in a renovated BMO field. With the league being such a huge commodity for Bell (TSN) they will use their stake in MLSE to get it done. At least that's what I believe will eventually happen.

Argo57
06-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Bingo!!

Until the Argos get up and out of the dome, there is nothing that Rudge, or anyone else can do to make the Rockets of the world happy. They need a smaller stadium period. Make it a tough ticket to get, and they will sell out. Right now there is absolutely no urgency for anyone to buy Argos tickets in advance. Then the game day creeps up on people (because of the lousy dates they get in the dome) and it's "Oh well, I'll just watch it on the tube".

I still believe that within 5 years the Argos will make plans to play in a renovated BMO field. With the league being such a huge commodity for Bell (TSN) they will use their stake in MLSE to get it done. At least that's what I believe will eventually happen.

I'm of the same opinion regarding BMO field Angelo, the location, size of the venue and when compared to building a whole new stadium (modest renovation cost) coupled with TFC's ineptitude I could see it happening in the next few years.
One can only hope!!

ArgoRavi
06-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Bingo!!

At the risk of getting into another stadium discussion, a renovation of BMO makes too much sense not to happen at some point.

Midnight Blue
06-19-2013, 12:26 AM
What he said!

I am honoured, for such distinguished recognition, by The Sirs, Paul Woods and Mulder.

You both obviously missed my catapult into the river by Hosers on the riverside thread, a couple of years ago, where Hosers used a kinda sling-shot chair, to catapult each other into the water;

Or the Huskies sled thread, where they reached 85 kph (53 real mph) on a downhill portion of the course....

Nevertheless, I accept your compliments with a graciousness, befitting Grand Royalty.

Cheer O !

And,

Ka'Pla !

At the risk of getting into another stadium discussion, a renovation of BMO makes too much sense not to happen at some point.

BMO would be perfect, to turn into a real Football Stadium. Dufferin and Bathurst Sts., on both sides, The Gardiner and a Go Transit Station and public transit for peasants nearby.

Alternately, the Portlands; Leslie St., and Don Cherry St., on both sides; lots of room for parking, just like the Exhibition grounds. A Stadium needs to be Downtown. Where fans from London to Trenton can easily access it.

Ka' Pla !

Wobbler
06-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Oh... MB. Like Mulder and PW I was a fan of your previous post. After something like that you should just "walk away", knowing that your point was cleverly made.

Midnight Blue
06-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Oh... MB. Like Mulder and PW I was a fan of your previous post. After something like that you should just "walk away", knowing that your point was cleverly made.

True enough. But being a Kozak and a Romantic at heart, if I "walked away", I would simply be displaying "automaton tendencies", which, admittedly, are really not a part of my nature.

Ka' Pla !

shayman
06-19-2013, 09:32 AM

Heartily agree. It's fun to toss around other options about a brand new facility but unless someone can explain where $250,000,000 for it would come from, those are just dreams.

Signed,
"Jealous of Winnipeg, just this once."

1argoholic
06-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Nice to here Rudge or anyone from the Argonaut organization finally talking about a new stadium. It obviously has to be done with us getting the boot from Skydome. No longer will I call it by that other name.

Shape it like a big old boat. Like the old boat logo. Yah that's it.

Invader
06-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Every team in the league is playing in a stadium which was almost entirely financed by governments. The fact is that no CFL team can afford to build their own stadium. Same as in the NFL, most teams need financing and subsidies from government for new stadiums. Many NHL teams (with player salaries averaging over $2 million) require a hundred million or more in tax dollars for new arenas (see Edm.)

The federal gov't and province have bent over backwards to facilitate the Ticats new stadium, including chipping in tens of millions extra when the project looked in doubt. Then Ontario added another $30 million (essentially to cover overtime pay) to ensure the stadium is ready for the 2014 Ticats season (the Pan-Parapan Games [remember them?] aren't until 2015). The Cats got a sweet deal there, including naming rights, which will solidify the team's revenue streams for decades to come.

Not sure who made the official pronouncement that the Argos will get nothing? Some Rogers-MLSE funded hacks?

The Argos will probably need a tie-in with a youth soccer tournament of some sort. That is perhaps the only politically-correct sport that governments could justify subsidizing in Ontario, (but aren't the REDBLACKS getting a free stadium, too?).

Ron
06-19-2013, 12:07 PM
BMO won't happen. They aren't going to ruin a nice soccer stadium for only 10 dates a year. :hi:

Rocket
06-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Heartily agree. It's fun to toss around other options about a brand new facility but unless someone can explain where $250,000,000 for it would come from, those are just dreams.

Signed,
"Jealous of Winnipeg, just this once."

Yes I have to agree with you! I don't think there are really any serious talks with regards to a new stadium.would be nice but rudge has got to focus with filling up the sky dome and not bother bringing this stadium talk unless something is serious to the public.

We don't really know the budget Chris Rudge has to work with. For all we know Mr. Braley has trimmed the fat to the essentials...and reducing the millions in losses which will be incurred this season. (And those Argo sky-writer ads might just blow away, anyways?)

Next year the new TV contract kicks in, with a extra couple of million to play with...and with 56 players with their hands out expecting a raise.
Yeah I probealy agree that he is working with a low budget. maybe Braley has got to step aside if he is not so,serious with the football team.

paulwoods13
06-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah I probealy agree that he is working with a low budget. maybe Braley has got to step aside if he is not so,serious with the football team.

Yeah, getting rid of Rudge isn't enough -- let's get rid of the owner, too. Hell, let's just get rid of the whole team.

Rocket
06-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Yeah, getting rid of Rudge isn't enough -- let's get rid of the owner, too. Hell, let's just get rid of the whole team.

No why would you wanna get rid of this team? This team is looking to be so exciting this year with a lot of points to be scored for the Argos. I cant wait for this season to start. We probealy should just release rudge from his contract and let him retire,for the better of this team.

mchesher03
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
if I don't like rudge's playcalling in the game tomorrow - i'm going to give him an earful.

argos1873
06-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Will that renovation include blue seats instead of red? One can dream can't they? Well maybe if they start playing in BMO it won't matter, because the seats will hopefully be full and you won't be able to tell what colour they are. I'm nitpicking though, because really all I want is a schedule with mostly weekend 1pm or 4pm dates. A few Friday nighters are fine too.

Rocket
06-19-2013, 03:01 PM
if I don't like rudge's playcalling in the game tomorrow - i'm going to give him an earful.

Lol you make sure he hears it be extra loud!

Will that renovation include blue seats instead of red? One can dream can't they? Well maybe if they start playing in BMO it won't matter, because the seats will hopefully be full and you won't be able to tell what colour they are. I'm nitpicking though, because really all I want is a schedule with mostly weekend 1pm or 4pm dates. A few Friday nighters are fine too.

I can't believe how bad the schedule is this year we got two Tuesday night games unreal. Always enjoyed the earlier games at 1pm or 4pm especially in the summer when they can open the roof with the sun coming down.its one of my favorite spots to be in toronto at that time!

Rocket
06-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Congradulations goes out to Chris rudge today for getting all the school kids to the u of t today. Nice to see some work being done by rudge to drum up some interests with the younger people.

Rocket
06-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Just wanted to bring up a couple of points to the pre season game last night. Read the Toronto sun this morning and the writer was all over the Argos on how poor of an atomsphere was created at the game last night. Personally I realize rudge didn't have that much money to work with marketing this game , but there are so many little things that could have been done to create a better atomsphere for the game.
Another thing I just noticed is how the tiger cats got there pre season game to be aired on local tv throughout Hamilton,guelf,Burlington,oakville on cogeco and other local stations. How come rudge can't work with a local provider in the Gta to get the game on. Rudge has to work on trying to get this team on tv as much as possible!

T-Bone
06-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to bring up a couple of points to the pre season game last night. Read the Toronto sun this morning and the writer was all over the Argos on how poor of an atomsphere was created at the game last night. Personally I realize rudge didn't have that much money to work with marketing this game , but there are so many little things that could have been done to create a better atomsphere for the game.
Another thing I just noticed is how the tiger cats got there pre season game to be aired on local tv throughout Hamilton,guelf,Burlington,oakville on cogeco and other local stations. How come rudge can't work with a local provider in the Gta to get the game on. Rudge has to work on trying to get this team on tv as much as possible!
I'm surprised Hamilton was able to do that considering the league contract with TSN. Anyway, the rest of the Argos season will be on TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508) so don't worry Rudge can focus on other things.

argos1873
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm surprised Hamilton was able to do that considering the league contract with TSN. Anyway, the rest of the Argos season will be on TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508) so don't worry Rudge can focus on other things.

Maybe there is a reserve clause in the contract for games that TSN decides not to broadcast, where a local broadcaster could pickup the game for a fee, or something along those lines.

argofandave
06-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Cogeco usually shows the Ticats pre-season home game on local tv if TSN isn't showing the game. They've been doing it for years. I live in Milton and have Cogeco cable and I set my VCR (yes, I still have one) to record the game last night but it wasn't shown live in Milton. I got some Scottish taber tossing instead.

Argocister
06-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Cogeco usually shows the Ticats pre-season home game on local tv if TSN isn't showing the game. They've been doing it for years. I live in Milton and have Cogeco cable and I set my VCR (yes, I still have one) to record the game last night but it wasn't shown live in Milton. I got some Scottish taber tossing instead.

Cogeco and Rogers do very well in showing local events on their own cable channels. The thing is Ontario is chopped up and shared between the two. I'm thinking that Rogers is in TO ..... At least when I lived downtown last century .... I'm sure they were jumping at the bit for that opportunity.... Not.

It was great to see Cohon wearing his blue shirt at the game last night .... Rudges was white ..... Dunno if that's supportive of the team
;)

Ballstothewall
06-21-2013, 09:47 PM

As one T.O media member told me leaving the game. Argo fans could always cling to the notion, that if we had a small outdoor stadium we would pack it and bring football back to this town. That notion took a big hit last night, now what? Which is exactly why I wanted the ARGOS to market this game better. 1 step forward, 2 steps back

ArgoRavi
06-21-2013, 11:10 PM
As one T.O media member told me leaving the game. Argo fans could always cling to the notion, that if we had a small outdoor stadium we would pack it and bring football back to this town. That notion took a big hit last night, now what? Which is exactly why I wanted the ARGOS to market this game better. 1 step forward, 2 steps back

I really would not read much into any empty seats at last night's game as it was a preseason game. If the Argos had a 25k stadium of their own, there is little reason not to believe that it would be full for regular season and playoff games.

Ron
06-22-2013, 12:44 AM

You actually had a media member tell you that and you didn't call him a moron? ;)

1argoholic
06-22-2013, 01:28 AM
The media member that Flutie2 is talking about is Marty York.

LLB997
06-22-2013, 01:33 AM

But hey, At least the lights didnt go out :] . Lets not put too much stock in a preseason game. Hell, i was there and i was eager to leave after the 3rd quarter. Last nights smallcrowd was no indication of how fans would receive a top notch midsize football stadium in this city.

Rocket
06-22-2013, 03:04 AM

Yeah it's to bad that the guys who run the team don't have the same passion and drive as some of the Argo fans do!

Rocket
06-22-2013, 03:17 AM

I remember even a few years back when tsn didn't carry all regular season games cogeco would still cover any of the home ticat games that weren't on tsn. I bet any money that Chris rudge has not even explored any idea like that. Why not try to even carry the games online I am sure that the cfl and tsn would be alright with it!

paulwoods13
06-22-2013, 08:55 AM
I remember even a few years back when tsn didn't carry all regular season games cogeco would still cover any of the home ticat games that weren't on tsn. I bet any money that Chris rudge has not even explored any idea like that. Why not try to even carry the games online I am sure that the cfl and tsn would be alright with it!

And who, precisely, would pay to produce a web telecast? Camera operators, producers, directors, announcers, sideline reporters -- these things don't come cheap. But of course it's all Rudge's fault.

Rocket
06-22-2013, 11:09 AM
And who, precisely, would pay to produce a web telecast? Camera operators, producers, directors, announcers, sideline reporters -- these things don't come cheap. But of course it's all Rudge's fault.

You could team up with the local colleges media program they would be more then happy to do it for free just to get experience. Or just have a feed from tsn.or have there own network just like all the 4 other major sport leagues! You just cant make excuses for rudge and his laziness with this team,how come the ticats have no trouble with getting there games on local t.v?As long as all you guys keep supporting rudge on his gravy train this team is in trouble!

paulwoods13
06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
You could team up with the local colleges media program they would be more then happy to do it for free just to get experience. Or just have a feed from tsn.or have there own network just like all the 4 other major sport leagues! You just cant make excuses for rudge and his laziness with this team,how come the ticats have no trouble with getting there games on local t.v?As long as all you guys keep supporting rudge on his gravy train this team is in trouble!

Team up with what "local colleges"? School's out for most at this time of year, and besides that, do you seriously want untrained college students producing and announcing a CFL game telecast? That would really make the league look professional, wouldn't it?

What "feed" from "tsn." are you talking about? If a game is not televised, there is no feed.

Just have "there" (sic) own network -- what network? CFL-TV? Argos-TV? Rogers Cable?

But I guess my questions are all just more excuses for Rudge and his alleged "gravy train," right? Are you secretly Rob Ford, by the way?

Rocket
06-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Team up with what "local colleges"? School's out for most at this time of year, and besides that, do you seriously want untrained college students producing and announcing a CFL game telecast? That would really make the league look professional, wouldn't it?

What "feed" from "tsn." are you talking about? If a game is not televised, there is no feed.

Just have "there" (sic) own network -- what network? CFL-TV? Argos-TV? Rogers Cable?

But I guess my questions are all just more excuses for Rudge and his alleged "gravy train," right? Are you secretly Rob Ford, by the way?

Do what the ticats do on there tv when they broadcast games. They do things on a very professional level and I am sure not of them get paid for it. I just don't understand you find all the excuses for Chris rudge for him just sitting around on his gravy train. As soon as we can get this guy of the gravy train the sooner this franchise will grow.

Will
06-22-2013, 07:11 PM
It was the opinion of some Ticat fans that the TV production of the pre-season game was very poor.

Rocket
06-22-2013, 07:23 PM
It was the opinion of some Ticat fans that the TV production of the pre-season game was very poor.

Me personally I thought the production was pretty good. It is way better to have any game on tv then not to have it at all. It gives fans more time to see the players and be able to market them.

paulwoods13
06-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Do what the ticats do on there tv when they broadcast games. They do things on a very professional level and I am sure not of them get paid for it. I just don't understand you find all the excuses for Chris rudge for him just sitting around on his gravy train. As soon as we can get this guy of the gravy train the sooner this franchise will grow.

You have completely lost whatever spindle of credibility you may once have aspired to, "Rocket." Do you even know what "gravy train" means? Or do you just like the sound of the phrase you keep hearing from Rob?

I have to give you some credit, though -- someone "sitting around on his gravy train" may be an entirely new phrase. I wonder if Go Transit Security has come to check his ticket.

Rocket
06-22-2013, 08:33 PM
You have completely lost whatever spindle of credibility you may once have aspired to, "Rocket." Do you even know what "gravy train" means? Or do you just like the sound of the phrase you keep hearing from Rob?

I have to give you some credit, though -- someone "sitting around on his gravy train" may be an entirely new phrase. I wonder if Go Transit Security has come to check his ticket.

Lets just give Chris rudge his retirement for the better of this football team and its fans. When you only have so much to spend on a football team you have to spend the money wisely. Spending the money on a guy who has no clue or any ambition to market this team properly is just a bad investment.

Wobbler
06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Discussion of this topic has been exhausted, Rocket. Let it go.

Rocket
06-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Discussion of this topic has been exhausted, Rocket. Let it go.

I will let it go as soon as I see improvements with the marketing of this team or when people on here can start to agree that this guy is not cut for this job!

Wobbler
06-22-2013, 09:13 PM
You persuaded me not to lock this thread a few days ago, Rocket, and now I feel foolish for listening to you. This is not one of my preferred feelings.

Will
06-22-2013, 09:17 PM
You persuaded me not to lock this thread a few days ago, Rocket, and now I feel foolish for listening to you. This is not one of my preferred feelings.

Then lock it now.

Wobbler
06-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the "advice", but I don't think it's worth the bother.

T-Bone
06-22-2013, 09:41 PM
http://youtu.be/5hARDXYz2io

Wobbler
06-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Case made!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8