PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have $12K to spend?

ArgoGabe22
06-17-2013, 11:04 PM
You can buy a 2012 100th Grey Cup ring issued to the players for only $12,000! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-100th-CFL-GREY-CUP-RING-Toronto-argonaut-Player-/221242371638

Now the question is who's is it? Are they selling it themselves or have pawned it to someone else. Any Argo on last years roster from the Bronx?

matchuk
06-17-2013, 11:27 PM
i just saw it on twitter...wtf...maybe horne since he was complaining about not getting paid, or watkins has gone nuts....either way, i wish i had an extra 12 grand cash lying around

AngeloV
06-17-2013, 11:27 PM
You can buy a 2012 100th Grey Cup ring issued to the players for only $12,000! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-100th-CFL-GREY-CUP-RING-Toronto-argonaut-Player-/221242371638

Now the question is who's is it? Are they selling it themselves or have pawned it to someone else. Any Argo on last years roster from the Bronx?

Well a certain DB was complaining about wanting to get paid. Maybe he just did.

gilthethrill
06-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Last year I wisely spent a considerable amount of $$ on E-Bay for an office chair that once belonged to Cody Pickett...so the Grey Cup ring will have to wait.

AaronInToronto
06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Tactless move. Years from now he'll regret this hasty decision. His property though. Wish I had $12K lying around

1argoholic
06-18-2013, 10:36 AM
I know that Lori Bursey owns A Grey Cup ring from I believe Joe '747' Adams. That would be 83 I guess. Doubt she dropped that much.

Maybe dude he needs new 20" rims for his lowered Honda. haha.

mchesher03
06-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Watkins is in florida IIRC

my guess is Horne - esp. since he 'wants to get paid' and now obviously is no longer getting paid!

$12k tho - yikes. good luck w that one 'allbusinessbruh'

gilthethrill
06-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Why does someone not e-mail the vendor & ask him what # is on the ring?

Rocket
06-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah I am curious to know who is selling that ring??

Mulder
06-18-2013, 12:45 PM

I already did.

From what I can pick out. It looks like it starts with an F, C or a E. My guess is Flemons.

argomANIA
06-18-2013, 01:23 PM
I already did.

From what I can pick out. It looks like it starts with an F, C or a E. My guess is Flemons.

I can't see Flemons selling his ring. i don't think those are the actual photos. Looking at the pics, Durie has the same pic on his FB wall.
I think it would be someone form like the Practice roster or something that it wouldn't mean much too.

paulwoods13
06-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I can't see Flemons selling his ring. i don't think those are the actual photos. Looking at the pics, Durie has the same pic on his FB wall.
I think it would be someone form like the Practice roster or something that it wouldn't mean much too.

I really doubt they gave rings that expensive to people who were not on the active roster or the legitimate injured list.

argomANIA
06-18-2013, 01:36 PM
I really doubt they gave rings that expensive to people who were not on the active roster or the legitimate injured list.

Sandy Annunziata and Mike Hogan got one...along with the team chaplain...

gilthethrill
06-18-2013, 01:48 PM
I already did.

Always 1 step ahead!!!! I thought Gabe ran into Flemons at the gym late in the offseason....is his wife not from Calgary? By no means that mean he can't relocate.

He being such a long serving member of the Argos it would be a suprise to me if it was him though.

paulwoods13
06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Sandy Annunziata and Mike Hogan got one...along with the team chaplain...

That's great, and well-deserved for guys who made contributions to the team's success all season long. But I cannot see a practice roster guy getting a ring. I may be wrong, but I would bet they drew the line at guys who were not regular players and/or on the active roster at the end of the season.

ArgoGabe22
06-18-2013, 02:39 PM
That's great, and well-deserved for guys who made contributions to the team's success all season long. But I cannot see a practice roster guy getting a ring. I may be wrong, but I would bet they drew the line at guys who were not regular players and/or on the active roster at the end of the season.

For what it's worth I know Jovon Johnson was on the PR with the Riders before signing with WPG. He also sold his 2007 GC ring. The Argo staff get cheaper rings with glass instead of diamonds, I know the "water boy" and he had to pay for his but it only cost several hundreds not thousands.

I saw Flemons a few days before his release but he's from Texas. I understand relocation but the Bronx is a little strange don't you think?

I think the pictures are fake, the one with the case may be the only actual photo and the seller just took the photos from the players who shared them online. The first pic looks to be from the night they received their rings. Usually guys looking for quick cash get them pawned but I'm guessing an American pawn broker will low ball for an item like this. Sammy Tranks is from Philadelphia and Younger is from Trenton but I doubt Younger would ever sell it plus I heard he lives around here year round.

Mulder
06-19-2013, 12:05 AM
The seller has told me that the player has asked to remain confidential. The seller said and I quote "I can tell you that the player was on the active roster last season. ". Well duhhhhh

KCargosfan
06-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Not sure I see the big deal. If a person needs to sell a ring to pay rent, buy food, gas, etc., we shouldn't hold it against them.

Midnight Blue
06-19-2013, 04:17 AM
Not sure I see the big deal. If a person needs to sell a ring to pay rent, buy food, gas, etc., we shouldn't hold it against them.

I agree. If you need to sell it to survive, then fine.

There were similar concerns in Canada several years ago, where some families of Victoria Cross (VC) recipients, were selling them to get money. The Victoria Cross, is the Highest Decoration for Bravery, on the planet, more so, because it is so rarely awarded. Now, I am not qualified to speak on this matter, since I was never a Soldier, but merely a RCAF Cadet, but since several friends, and one of my immediate family were front-line Troops, I will say that an effort should be made, to keep these treasures in Canada. And there has been an effort, to keep VCs in Canada. Mostly successful, but many have disappeared to buyers, unknown.

God Save The Queen !

Mulder
06-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Someone at Riderfans.com also asked and got a similar but more detailed answer

The player who dealt it to me wished to keep his name private until it was out of my possession. I understand this information is important to the buyer within the buying process, so I will say that he was on the active roster as well as the practice roster (to my knowledge) bouncing back ad forth. I believe he stills plays for the Argonauts.

- allbusinessbruh

ArgoGabe22
06-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Something isn't right here. A new seller just posted the same ring for $8k http://www.ebay.com/itm/100th-CFL-Grey-Cup-Ring-/281123867342

argos1873
06-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know what these rings are worth, I mean in material and workmanship, not in sentimental value? Basically what the organization would have paid for them.

I think the rings look pretty sharp, and if I had that type of scratch laying around, I would pick one up in a heartbeat. Add the fact that its an Argo GC ring, and the 100th GC ring.

ArgoGabe22
06-19-2013, 04:55 PM
The BC Lions had a replacement fee of $30,000 for theirs last year. Speaking of rings Arland Bruce had his '04 ring stolen and Pelley promised to get a replacement for him but his promise never came to be.

1argoholic
06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Real sad that everything comes done to dollars and cents now days and zero respect for the sentimental value. That ring could work miracles for you for many years to come even if you never saw the field. Wouldn't you feel special to have practiced hard with your fellow Grey Cup Champs and friends.

argos1873
06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Real sad that everything comes done to dollars and cents now days and zero respect for the sentimental value. That ring could work miracles for you for many years to come even if you never saw the field. Wouldn't you feel special to have practiced hard with your fellow Grey Cup Champs and friends.

Its sad, but I assume whomever is selling their ring may be in financial difficulties. Its not like playing in the CFL sets you up for life. I make more than many CFL players, and I'm in a financial hurt zone myself.

1argoholic
06-19-2013, 06:09 PM
I guess it does depend of circumstances but I'd have huge issues in dealing something like that away. I'm not even into the bling like that. Perhaps they should all get a little Grey Cup replica and a bonus.

paulwoods13
06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Speaking of rings Arland Bruce had his '04 ring stolen and Pelley promised to get a replacement for him but his promise never came to be.

Oops. Don't tell Rocket.

Ballstothewall
06-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Oops. Don't tell Rocket.
nice one!!!!

ArgoRavi
06-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Oops. Don't tell Rocket.

You beat me to the punch, Paul. :D

AngeloV
06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
The BC Lions had a replacement fee of $30,000 for theirs last year. Speaking of rings Arland Bruce had his '04 ring stolen and Pelley promised to get a replacement for him but his promise never came to be.

My guess is C & S promised to replace the ring...until Braley rejected their expense receipt.

ArgoGabe22
06-19-2013, 10:34 PM
You beat me to the punch, Paul. :D

Come on guys isn't it obvious I added that line for a reason, thought it was a good knock out blow.

Will
06-19-2013, 10:35 PM
My guess is C & S promised to replace the ring...until Braley rejected their expense receipt.

Hit it right out of the park Angelo!

paulwoods13
06-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Come on guys isn't it obvious I added that line for a reason, thought it was a good knock out blow.

All credit to you, AG!

LLB997
06-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Cash is King, and at the end end of the day maybe the memory means more than a piece of jewlery. As a buyer though i would be offput by buying a GC ring i did not earn through sweat and hard work.

argos1873
06-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Cash is King, and at the end end of the day maybe the memory means more than a piece of jewlery. As a buyer though i would be offput by buying a GC ring i did not earn through sweat and hard work.

I would have no problem buying a GC ring, that I did not earn through sweat and hard work, besides the sweat and hard work it took to earn the money to buy it. Its not like I would wear it, and pass it off as if I played to win it. Unlike Keith vePelley, when he proudly showed off his 04 ring to me when I went to the Skydome in 05 to buy some Argo tickets and he was hanging around...Ok he deserves a ring more than me, but still.

argos1873
06-21-2013, 07:18 PM

You're a moderator, why don't you just ban him if you feel his posts are so offside, instead of passive aggressively baiting him. Odd way to run a forum that lacks members, for a team that lacks fans.

paulwoods13
06-21-2013, 08:45 PM
You're a moderator, why don't you just ban him if you feel his posts are so offside, instead of passive aggressively baiting him. Odd way to run a forum that lacks members, for a team that lacks fans.

So banning a new member would be better? Mods on this forum take enough abuse as it is -- imagine the uproar if Rocket were banned solely for ceaseless Rudge "baiting" (to use your word).

Argocister
06-21-2013, 08:55 PM
?........passive aggressively baiting ..........

Is that a fishing term?

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2013, 09:01 PM

His posts aren't offside and I'm certainly not going to ban someone who posts Pelley was great and Rudge should get fired but if you do, you sure need to back it up. All I did was purposely post a fact that happened under the Pelley regime. We can debate what Rudge has done compared to Pelley but it's hard to keep the discussion going if someone is so sold on the fact that Pelley was the best.

argos1873
06-21-2013, 09:02 PM
So banning a new member would be better? Mods on this forum take enough abuse as it is -- imagine the uproar if Rocket were banned solely for ceaseless Rudge "baiting" (to use your word).

So in your opinion a mod teasing and berating a new member is better? Either ban him and be done with him, or leave him alone. We get it that Rocket is a Rudge hater, and that certain members here don't like it. How is it better when a mod adds fuel to the flames? Not professional as far as I'm concerned. Is this an Argos fan site, or a site where people who get together at Argos games post?

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2013, 09:16 PM
How is it better when a mod adds fuel to the flames? I'm not sure how a fun tidbit related to this thread adds fuel to the flame. I don't really see myself as "moderator", I'm just a regular member who was asked to help out but if any member thinks my posts are inappropriate for a mod then I have no problem of letting those duties go. I didn't intend to berate a new member, when I was looking up the cost of rings I came across an article on Bruce winning the GC and how he lost his ring with Argos and how Pelley promised to replace it but didn't. It's just a fact I wanted to share.

paulwoods13
06-21-2013, 09:43 PM
So in your opinion a mod teasing and berating a new member is better? Either ban him and be done with him, or leave him alone. We get it that Rocket is a Rudge hater, and that certain members here don't like it. How is it better when a mod adds fuel to the flames? Not professional as far as I'm concerned. Is this an Argos fan site, or a site where people who get together at Argos games post?

I don't agree a mod "berated" Rocket. Teased him, sure. And yes, teasing is far better than banning in this case -- Rocket has done nothing to deserve banning. Nor should he be "left alone," any more than anyone else should be.

This is a site for Argo fans -- I don't know what you mean by an "Argos site" but as far as I know it is neither sanctioned by nor paid much attention to by the organization itself.

Ballstothewall
06-21-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't agree a mod "berated" Rocket. Teased him, sure. And yes, teasing is far better than banning in this case -- Rocket has done nothing to deserve banning. Nor should he be "left alone," any more than anyone else should be.

This is a site for Argo fans -- I don't know what you mean by an "Argos site" but as far as I know it is neither sanctioned by nor paid much attention to by the organization itself.

Well said,some on here have thin skin, banter is good, if you don't like what someone said, either respond or move on

argos1873
06-21-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure how a fun tidbit related to this thread adds fuel to the flame. I don't really see myself as "moderator", I'm just a regular member who was asked to help out but if any member thinks my posts are inappropriate for a mod then I have no problem of letting those duties go. I didn't intend to berate a new member, when I was looking up the cost of rings I came across an article on Bruce winning the GC and how he lost his ring with Argos and how Pelley promised to replace it but didn't. It's just a fact I wanted to share.

Ok you are not really a mod, that's ok. Its not clear to us, not in the know, when your title says moderator though. But you clearly said that you added that line to "add the knock out punch". I'm not trying to start anything, nor do I even agree with Rocket at least not fully, I just don't get all this Rocket bashing. He has at least some point, and is passionate about his point. I know there are regulars here, who have their own opinion, and that seems to be for the most part the opinion of the board, but do we really have to beat into the ground the differing opinions of others? Seriously, can this board afford to ridicule everyone who doesn't agree with the core few?

argos1873
06-21-2013, 10:08 PM

OK Paul, I said fan site...not Argo site, so do we want to talk semantics now?

argos1873
06-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Well said,some on here have thin skin, banter is good, if you don't like what someone said, either respond or move on

I agree, I just don't know why some people take such offence to Rocket's posts. It seems some don't have such thick skins as they think, and then because the majority don't agree, make him the whipping boy. So much so that the supreme mod tells everyone which provider he posts from. Pretty unprofessional as far as I'm concerned.

argos1873
06-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Is this an Argos fan site, or is this a site where people who get together personally and know each other personally post?

KCargosfan
06-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Is this an Argos fan site, or is this a site where people who get together personally and know each other personally post?

I know no one on here and post here. I may be the exception, but if I am or am not I'd have no clue.

KCargosfan
06-21-2013, 10:23 PM
And yes, teasing is far better than banning in this case

Speak for yourself, hahaha. Sorry, cheap joke at Rocket's expense. Continue on.

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm not trying to start anything, nor do I even agree with Rocket at least not fully, I just don't get all this Rocket bashing.

I see what you're saying and I'm not trying to start anything either but I still don't see how my post is bashing Rocket. It was really just good fun and I was just playing along with various responses I got from members. Out of all the posts he's made there was plenty of time to "bash" him so I don't see how a fact and something that's not even a response as bashing, sure it's poking fun at the Pelley vs Rudge issue but is no where near a bash IMO.

AngeloV
06-21-2013, 10:26 PM
I agree, I just don't know why some people take such offence to Rocket's posts. It seems some don't have such thick skins as they think, and then because the majority don't agree, make him the whipping boy. So much so that the supreme mod tells everyone which provider he posts from. Pretty unprofessional as far as I'm concerned.

The reason many take offence to his posts is because it's way over done. He rips Rudge in 90% of his posts, no matter what thread it is in. We get it. He's made his feelings known.

ArgoGabe22
06-21-2013, 10:27 PM

I've seen some faces but I can't say I personally know anyone on here.

KCargosfan
06-21-2013, 10:41 PM
The reason many take offence to his posts is because it's way over done. He rips Rudge in 90% of his posts, no matter what thread it is in. We get it. He's made his feelings known.

This. +10 ...

Ballstothewall
06-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey I agree with some of rockets statements, and I understand what you are saying, I know people, some major Argo fans who won't come on site site, because a few of the regulars, chase them off. I get that, I' m just saying don't let them.

bluto
06-21-2013, 10:50 PM

^^ et voila.

argos1873
06-21-2013, 10:51 PM

When there's so few posters here, 2 thread starts seem like a lot. I'm sorry but it says more about this board than Rocket. I'm not trying to rip this board, because I know the reality of the situation, but lets just say on a`Leaf board Rocket's posts wouldn't even matter.

argolio
06-21-2013, 11:14 PM
lets just say on a`Leaf board Rocket's posts wouldn't even matter.I don't know about that. HF boards bans people for the silliest of reasons.

ArgoRavi
06-21-2013, 11:26 PM
When there's so few posters here, 2 thread starts seem like a lot. I'm sorry but it says more about this board than Rocket. I'm not trying to rip this board, because I know the reality of the situation, but lets just say on a`Leaf board Rocket's posts wouldn't even matter.

Part of the issue with Rocket is that I am pretty sure that he was on this forum in the past doing the same sort of thing that he has been doing lately. If it isn't the same Rocket, it is quite the coincidence that two people with the same nickname seem to have the same m.o.

argos1873
06-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Oh well, y'all keep doing the same you're doing and keep getting the same results.

Mulder
06-21-2013, 11:55 PM

While I get what your saying, there is 2 things at play.
1) a known history with that name with under older versions of the forum. Which he was very confrontational
2) this person while claiming not to be this person, his posts read in the same manner

Lots of old timers have a history with this guy.

I wouldn't worry what the mods are going to do or are not going to do, We have ongoing discussion about it. We are also working on a developing ideas on how we can get more exposure.
We are going to try and have our twitter account more engaging, we've looked and got the permission for a banner at Argo home games. We just need some funds to make it happen. (And the design to finish).

As for what moderators can and can't do. That s up to me to decide. My preference is for them to be treated and act as if they are regular posters. And follow the exact same rules at laid out in the rules thread, they don't need to be thought of as above anyone else because the the privileges they have nor do I want them to think that.

At times it can be though, mods can't and don't sit at the forum all day editing and changing posts. Some of it is subjective too. One persons joke is another's insult. That being said. Use the report button if you want something it be looked it!

Will
06-22-2013, 12:12 AM

This and...

Part of the issue with Rocket is that I am pretty sure that he was on this forum in the past doing the same sort of thing that he has been doing lately. If it isn't the same Rocket, it is quite the coincidence that two people with the same nickname seem to have the same m.o.

this.

KCargosfan
06-22-2013, 12:58 AM
1) a known history with that name with under older versions of the forum. Which he was very confrontational
2) this person while claiming not to be this person, his posts read in the same manner

I wouldn't worry what the mods are going to do or are not going to do, We have ongoing discussion about it. We are also working on a developing ideas on how we can get more exposure.
We are going to try and have our twitter account more engaging, we've looked and got the permission for a banner at Argo home games. We just need some funds to make it happen. (And the design to finish).

As for what moderators can and can't do. That s up to me to decide. My preference is for them to be treated and act as if they are regular posters. And follow the exact same rules at laid out in the rules thread, they don't need to be thought of as above anyone else because the the privileges they have nor do I want them to think that.

At times it can be though, mods can't and don't sit at the forum all day editing and changing posts. Some of it is subjective too. One persons joke is another's insult. That being said. Use the report button if you want something it be looked it!

Mulder, can you give us an idea of what you/site owners are spending out of pocket to keep the site up? Maybe the board can come up with some ideas to help raise money? Or single out a day every year as a fundraising day where people donate to support the cost of the site?

That may not be for public knowledge, just a thought.

argos1873
06-28-2013, 08:42 PM

Sorry, I wasn't aware of a previous history, besides some posts that may have alluded to it.

Second, I really don't mean to rip this board, or even any members (hence why I was sort of sticking up for Rocket). I guess I was just throwing in the devil's advocate in the situation, and partially thought that Rocket may have been treated unfairly.

Third, I may have posted under the influence of a few wobbly pops, which at times may make me overstate my intentions ;)

Fourth, I understand that running an internet forum can be a tough proposition, and even being a mod can also be. There's no pay for most sites, and its done on a part time basis.

Fifth, all that being said, mods should refrain from teasing, just to at least show a bit of professionalism. I may have called this wrong, and don't wish to further call out the mod in question. However I respect that its your board, and respect the way you handle it for the most part. (Nothing is perfect)

Sixth, we are all Argo fans, with different opinions of how things should be done, but 1 thing we all want is another Grey Cup in 2013...I'm pretty sure we can all agree on point number 6...

ArgoGabe22
07-08-2013, 11:13 PM
If anyone is wondering the ring was listed for $5,000 and no bid was ever made which ended today. Either this ring has no interest or no one trusts the story.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8