PDA

View Full Version : Alan Thicke and O.J could have Owned the Ticats

R.J
02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
as per TSN.ca (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=387159)
Canadian actor Alan Thicke is best known for his role as Jason Seaver on the television series Growing Pains, but his name could have also been synonomous with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats - along with an infamous sports celebrity.

"I rounded up this group and it all disappeared in one day," Thicke told The Mike Richards Show on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto on Tuesday. "I was going into the studio one day and everybody was watching the television, riveted to the screen. I looked over and (realized) one of my partners is going down the freeway in a Bronco. It was O.J. Simpson. That was as close as I got to ownership."

Thicke was asked if he was ever close to being a part of an ownership group in the Canadian Football League much like the Toronto Argonauts had in 1991 with their high-priced owners in NHL great Wayne Gretzky, actor John Candy and former Los Angeles Kings owner Bruce McNall.

"I did come close enough that I got a call from my favorite team, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, saying 'we like what McNall, Candy and Gretzky have done by fronting the Argos and being defecto spokespersons of that team," he said. "Do you think you could put together a little consortium that could become the face of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats?'

Thicke, a native of Kirkland Lake, Ontario, said he told the Tiger-Cats he would think about it and then began rounding up a group of people he felt could help.

Thicke said he got support from actor Martin Short, musician and producer David Foster and Simpson to join the venture. Thicke said he felt Simpson was nearby and had the Buffalo experience, so he knew the Toronto and Hamilton market.

"It all made perfect sense until he (Simpson) got badly out of line that day," said Thicke.

R.J
02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Also, the podcast that lead to the article. http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/AThicke_020712.mp3

zontar
02-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Thought the Cats desperately needed ownership its good this never happened. Once the bills starting pouring in and the fun stopped, like Gretzky, McNall, Candy. Cats would have been dropped like a hot potato.

argolio
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I remember the Martin Short rumours regarding possible Ticats owners but this is the first I've heard about O.J. Simpson.

Much like with Frank D'Angelo, the CFL dodged a major bullet not having to deal with O.J. as an owner.

AngeloV
02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
I remember the Martin Short rumours regarding possible Ticats owners but this is the first I've heard about O.J. Simpson.

Much like with Frank D'Angelo, the CFL dodged a major bullet not having to deal with O.J. as an owner.

I don't believe a word that Thicke says. His timelines don't seem to add up. He mentioned in the interview that the Ti-Cats came to him in 1994, because they liked what was happening in Toronto with McNall, Gretzky and Candy, and that the OJ Ford Bronco incident ended all of that. Well, the double murder happened on June 13, 1994. By that time, McNall had already killed the buzz the Argos had, and had sold the team to the Brewery that owned the Blue Jays. I don't think anyone in the CFL liked what was happening in Toronto at that time.

IMO, he is a complete phony that sensationalized the story he told on the air.

ArgoRavi
02-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't believe a word that Thicke says. His timelines don't seem to add up. He mentioned in the interview that the Ti-Cats came to him in 1994, because they liked what was happening in Toronto with McNall, Gretzky and Candy, and that the OJ Ford Bronco incident ended all of that. Well, the double murder happened on June 13, 1994. By that time, McNall had already killed the buzz the Argos had, and had sold the team to the Brewery that owned the Blue Jays. I don't think anyone in the CFL liked what was happening in Toronto at that time.

IMO, he is a complete phony that sensationalized the story he told on the air.

Good catch, Angelo! Something doesn't add up here.

argonaut11xx
02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Hmm....Alan Thicke...Frank D'Angelo.....

both had/have invented the cure for insomnia....their respective late nite show's...

Im not sure which one was worse, "Thicke of the Night", or "Being Frank"....

Hmmm...D'Angelo also cured Alcoholism by producing "steelback".....YUK...

DanTheFan
02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
How does Frank D'Angelo have any money? Most of the products I see him advertising I don't know anyone who buys them.

shayman
02-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Alan Thicke is reduced to doing commercials on the radio where he urges people to welch on their debts and consider bankruptcy because hey, times are tough. I cringe every time I hear them.

ArgoGabe22
02-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Not going to lie but I have no clue who Alan tThicke is except for that guy on 22 minutes last night.

Will
02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e3f4sWNFh4&feature=related

Alan Thicke is in this video. It's awful, so absolutely awful.

R.J
02-09-2012, 09:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liFmMcmigsQAlan Thicke of "Growing Pains" fame.

argolio
02-11-2012, 02:08 PM

IMO, he is a complete phony that sensationalized the story he told on the air.Someone from Hollywood lying? How dare you!!!

ArgoRavi
02-11-2012, 06:25 PM
The video of the SkyDome opening is even worse than how I remember it. It was nice to see Argos and Blue Jays working together that night though. :)

ArgoRavi
03-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Did anyone else see Celebrity Wife Swap on ABC tonight? I almost never watch that show but wanted to see it because Gilbert Gottfried was on. Anyway, he was swapping wives with none other than Alan Thicke. Thicke had a dinner party and Bruce McNall was there. Thicke was telling everyone at the party about how McNall owned the Argos (no mention of his ownership of the L.A. Kings interestingly enough) and Thicke repeated his story about how he was going to buy another team with David Foster, Martin Short and O.J. Simpson which got a few laughs around the dinner table.

ArgoRavi
03-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Alan Thicke is reduced to doing commercials on the radio where he urges people to welch on their debts and consider bankruptcy because hey, times are tough. I cringe every time I hear them.

Considering how much Thicke's wife seems to like being wined and dined - why else would she be with him? - Thicke probably knows a thing or two about bankruptcy or soon will. :D

bluto
03-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Considering how much Thicke's wife seems to like being wined and dined - why else would she be with him? - Thicke probably knows a thing or two about bankruptcy or soon will. :D

she's got her work cut out for her:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/alan-thicke-net-worth/

but then, as someone twice divorced, i wouldn't put it past a woman...

294life
03-13-2013, 02:18 AM

Especially 'Chad Kackert' Lol! :sick::ohno:

gilthethrill
03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Not going to lie but I have no clue who Alan tThicke is except for that guy on 22 minutes last night.

C,Mon Gabe...he was Ricky Schoeders tv dad...wait, no, Kirk Camerons tv dad...that should clear it up for you.

ArgoGabe22
03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
C,Mon Gabe...he was Ricky Schoeders tv dad...wait, no, Kirk Camerons tv dad...that should clear it up for you.

Who? I checked that link on his networth and says he wrote the song for Different Strokes. Finally something I've heard of. I think he was way before my time.

Will
03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Who knew that a thread about Alan Thicke could get such mileage!

paulwoods13
03-13-2013, 05:19 PM

I finally watched this -- utterly amazing. Notice Mike Hameluck, Gill Fenerty and the "Argos" were wearing their 1988 unis but had logo-less helmets. Of course that was the year Harry Ornest unveiled the atrocious script logo, and added a bit of red to the uni.

Ron
03-14-2013, 01:46 AM
How does Frank D'Angelo have any money? Most of the products I see him advertising I don't know anyone who buys them.

Frank is the current king of Canadian late night TV

7dj83r8f78t4alf8