PDA

View Full Version : Chris Rudge on TSN Drive with Dave Naylor & Steve Milton

R.J
06-18-2013, 08:18 PM
http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Rudge%20On%20Naylor%20June18th.mp3

Talks about Pre-season game at Varsity, how it came about and track standing room.

New Stadium talk, Argos won't get involved with York, a bit of a hint on BMO though, and looking at other spots, and getting potential funding etc.

bluto
06-18-2013, 09:16 PM
shut up Snow Rogue! haven't you heard that Rudge is doing nothing whatsoever (other than sit on his arse) to earn his paycheque?!?

AngeloV
06-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks for posting Snow Rogue. Missed the show today.

dmont
06-18-2013, 11:35 PM
http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Rudge On Naylor June18th.mp3

Talks about Pre-season game at Varsity, how it came about and track standing room.

New Stadium talk, Argos won't get involved with York, a bit of a hint on BMO though, and looking at other spots, and getting potential funding etc. Thanks for posting. I'm a sucker for stadium talk. I thought York was the best fit for the Argos (would have required removing the track, digging down, adding seats on one side and a whole grandstand on the other) but I guess that ship has sailed, at least under Rudge (who seems to be Braley's man at least until the Argos have moved). It wouldn't make much sense for the Argos to build their own facility, unless the stadium is close to Ryerson, which would also have to have some kind of renewed interest in CIS field sports and want to be a tenant as well. Rudge seemed very impressed with the size and economics of IGF in Winnipeg, and it has a university as a co-tenant. BMO is certainly one scenario. I doubt MLSE and TFC are looking for a bigger stadium, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind a nicer stadium in terms of luxury boxes and concessions. Given the size of Hamilton's stadium and the availability of Rogers Centre for Grey Cups, the Argos might want to aim for around 23k for their permanent home as well. The cost of moving/putting the south stands on rails would be expensive, but I bet not nearly as expensive as building a whole new stadium. Could it be that, seeing the situations in Vancouver, Seattle, and New England, that TFC and MLSE have gotten over "natural grass" as the savior? Something that would draw the big international players and matches? It certainly hasn't turned out that way, given the team's record, and anytime they've had a major team come to town they move it to Rogers Centre anyway. That just might be the most likely scenario. The Argos get a place to play and (hopefully!) a favorable lease with a less-pushy landlord. MLSE and TFC get free stadium upgrades (maybe a roof!), more corporate boxes, and the ability to host concerts. Sure, they lose natural grass, but maybe they've lost interest in it given the success of Seattle and Vancouver, and maybe the pros outweigh the cons. PLUS, causing a big stink might just bring down the hammer of the stadium's owner: the city. Rob Ford (for all his faults) likes football and in the last interview I saw said the Argos should go to BMO. Plus both of MLSE's new owners, Bell and Rogers, have an interest in getting the Argos out of Rogers Centre, healthy and on their feet somewhere else. This BMO thing's becoming more plausible by the minute, come to think of it.

Rocket
06-19-2013, 04:27 AM
shut up Snow Rogue! haven't you heard that Rudge is doing nothing whatsoever (other than sit on his arse) to earn his paycheque?!?

YES! Couldn't agree with you anymore! Snow rudge is all talk no action.

Rocket
06-19-2013, 04:32 AM
http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Rudge%20On%20Naylor%20June18th.mp3

New Stadium talk, Argos won't get involved with York, a bit of a hint on BMO though, and looking at other spots, and getting potential funding etc.

Wow! So surprised to here Chris rudge on the radio talking Argos! It's nice for him to wake up from his sleep!

Midnight Blue
06-19-2013, 04:50 AM
YES! Couldn't agree with you anymore! Snow rudge is all talk no action.

At the risk of fostering another round of admirers, for my suddenly seemingly well-thought-out thoughts,

I will invite you, Rocket, to never, ever pick on Snow Rouge !

Snow was around in 1873. He is around now. Without him, there would be no Football, much less Argos.

Rocket, I've been polite to you, but could you kindly give it a break?

Persistent thoughts on one subject, suggest a one-dimensional mind.

(This is fine, and expected for Ti-Cat fans, but we Argo fans set a higher standard.)

(Just kidding ... T-Bone.)

Assuming you know what that means, you will stop.

Otherwise, don't be surprised if one of the Mods nukes you.

Frankly, you are becoming quite boring.

Cheers !

-----------------------------------

Bloody Ti-Cat fan. Eat any good books lately?

Midnight Blue
06-19-2013, 05:10 AM
At the risk of fostering another round of admirers, for my suddenly seemingly well-thought-out thoughts,

I will invite you, Rocket, to never, ever pick on Snow Rouge !

Snow was around in 1873. He is around now. Without him, there would be no Football, much less Argos.

Rocket, I've been polite to you, but could you kindly give it a break?

(This is fine, and expected for Ti-Cat fans, but we Argo fans set a higher standard.)

(Just kidding ... T-Bone.)

Assuming you know what that means, you will stop.

Otherwise, don't be surprised if one of the Mods nukes you.

Frankly, you are becoming quite boring.

Cheers !

-----------------------------------

Bloody Ti-Cat fan. Eat any good books lately?

EDIT : Should read, Snow Rogue. He's so bloody old, that the spelling of his name, changes whenever we enter a new century. I wouldn't be surprised, if he was one of the original Nordic Gods; perhaps Odin, or Thor.

Ka' Pla !

matthew
06-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I think working with the feds and getting a stadium at downsview park is the only option here. Great accessiblity on a east west and downtown/Barrie axis.

argonaut11xx
06-19-2013, 09:22 AM

I must be 2 dimensional....."Boobie's--Argo's--Boobie's--Argo's"

Brian45
06-22-2013, 10:35 AM
I know I am going down an old road (Jeff Giles, Sherwood) but I feel a lot has changed since 2001. Lamport Stadium. Yes, its a dump but it has the initial 10,000 (or close to it) seats, in downtown, city owned and in an area that is vastly improved and already now a sports destination because of BMO Field and the Marlies. Rob Ford's comments this week at least in theory show the city may be willing to assist in some manner. The place needs work, a lot of it, but location is good (TTC, GO Train and CNE Parking). If the city handed off control of the stadium (a la BMO Field to MLSE) to the Argos who could sell the naming rights, invest in the renos and probably look to the city/province/feds for a boost of some kind they could make 22,000 happen there. Would need a south end zone grandstand on which is now a parking lot a.nd then upper tiers. Not sure if the footprint would allow for all that and not even sure if Lamport fits a CFL field, but just thinking out loud. Someone mentioned Ryerson, maybe there is an opportunity with them on this too, i bet they already play games there

Will
06-22-2013, 10:37 AM
The footprint is extremely tight for the Lamport site.

paulwoods13
06-22-2013, 03:51 PM
I've been solidly in favour of exploring Lamport as an option for some time. I fear the footprint may be too small, but if not it could be ideal. It is in an area that is central, trendy and close to public transit. It could even allow for tailgating on the Exhibition grounds.

T-Bone
06-24-2013, 10:29 AM
I know I am going down an old road (Jeff Giles, Sherwood) but I feel a lot has changed since 2001. Lamport Stadium. Yes, its a dump but it has the initial 10,000 (or close to it) seats, in downtown, city owned and in an area that is vastly improved and already now a sports destination because of BMO Field and the Marlies. Rob Ford's comments this week at least in theory show the city may be willing to assist in some manner. The place needs work, a lot of it, but location is good (TTC, GO Train and CNE Parking). If the city handed off control of the stadium (a la BMO Field to MLSE) to the Argos who could sell the naming rights, invest in the renos and probably look to the city/province/feds for a boost of some kind they could make 22,000 happen there. Would need a south end zone grandstand on which is now a parking lot a.nd then upper tiers. Not sure if the footprint would allow for all that and not even sure if Lamport fits a CFL field, but just thinking out loud. Someone mentioned Ryerson, maybe there is an opportunity with them on this too, i bet they already play games there
Have you been to Lamport Stadium, seen the change rooms, the practically non existent concession area? My soccer group has a summer league that plays out of there and I've played in that league, the facility is not up to standards of a professional football team at all. PM me if you want to go watch one of there games and get a feel for the facility. Dump is right, it is far too old and does not have the facilities that the Argos would need to play out of. Some people thought the Varsity game last week was amateur hour, Lamport as is would be a huge step down from that. Footprint size aside, if Lamport could work it would need to be torn down and rebuilt in my opinion.

1argoholic
06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Honestly how much downtown land could be left that isn't full of new sky rocketing condos? I couldn't believe the change at Grey Cup since my last visit that wasn't that long ago. Perhaps it needs to be in an area like Lamport. Just blow it up real good and start from scratch. If it's a small foot print they could also dig a bowl into the ground. Michigan Stadium holds over 1114 odd thou now and it's a big bowl dug into the ground. They better get on something fast. I'm not big on another mistake by the lake in BMO. I was a teen and in my 20's hitting those windy, rainy,cold, drunken games back then. I sat in the Scotia Bank endzone seats for Grey Cup 82 and got pissed on all game long. Horrible, miserable weather that is a pain to dress for in Oct and Nov. If they build along the lakeshore cover the fans.

Argo57
06-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I used to park at the Dempsters building when they played at the Ex, my brother played at a high school all-star game there in 1981 and the place was a dump back then. It would obviously need to be a total demolish and rebuild but the location is pretty decent, I still like the BMO location the best but who knows if that will ever happen.

ArgoZ
06-24-2013, 10:20 PM
The footprint is extremely tight for the Lamport site.

Satellite maps shows there is just enough room for a "BMO like" stadium at the site. It would stretch to the boundaries and would fit a CFL size field but would require a full demolition (which is what I do!), and eliminate all parking.

Rocket
07-21-2013, 11:43 PM
18,211 ??????? Wow

7dj83r8f78t4alf8