PDA

View Full Version : Former Argo Ricky Williams retires from football.

R.J
02-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Via the Assiociated Press/Tsn.ca http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=387151

Also an article in the WFP, as Damon Allen wonders what Williams could have done in the CFL. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/former-argos-quarterback-allen-wonders-how-good-williams-couldve-been-in-cfl-138895419.html

On a side note, not sure if this was ever posted, but Williams contract with the Argos was reportedly 240K.

matchuk
02-07-2012, 09:19 PM
did he say something like he was going to come back here and play linebacker for 1 year after he retired from the nfl?

jerrym
02-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Although Ricky always said nice things about his one year stay in the CFL and Toronto, he did not always show a burning desire to excel on the field while here. This is always a danger when you bring in a big star American college or NFL player to the CFL. Theismann admitted that he was not always focused on getting ready for the game while in the CFL and Tobin Rote, the former NFLer who played in Toronto in the 1960s, often was partying heavily the night before the game.

argonaut11xx
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Ricky Williams is a POTHEAD....

I have no use for him, and Joe Thiesman was right when he chastized the Argo's for signing this loser.

1argoholic
02-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Keep watching Cops you'll see Ricky getting nailed for a joint and being put away. I have no issue with a guy wanting to smoke a bit of pot. Just don't smoke and drive Ricky.

R.J
02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
The 55 yard Line's Andrew Bucholtz' take on Ricky Williams retiring and his "impact" during his time in the CFL. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/run-ricky-run-why-ricky-williams-time-toronto-234609988.html;_ylt=AtaR4MdCMB4hLmWBz0RsY0.pYQM6

ArgoRavi
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM

I have no use for him, and Joe Thiesman was right when he chastized the Argo's for signing this loser.

Honestly, I have no use for the stuff, hate the smell and have observed chronic users whom one would classify as "losers" with no ambition or motivation among other symptoms as a result of using this drug. Having said all of that, a lot of people including CFL players use the stuff. We know from a sexual assault case in which former Argo Bernard Williams was acquitted that both he and Jonathan Brown used the stuff - this was testified to in court - and I doubt that they are the only ones so I don't think that one should judge Williams too harshly. BTW, Theisman's son had a drug problem.

paulwoods13
02-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Although Ricky always said nice things about his one year stay in the CFL and Toronto, he did not always show a burning desire to excel on the field while here.

I'd love to know what you are basing this observation on. I didn't see anything that suggested he was anything less than fully focused on helping the team on the field. He was not utilized properly -- the offence that year was not built to run the ball effectively -- but he always fulfilled his blocking assignments and whenever he got the ball he appeared to me to be going flat out.

KCargosfan
02-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Always rooted for Williams because he seemed like a good guy. Yeah, he smoked weed. Not a big deal in my book. If most of us had as many personality disorders as him, we might as well.

Will
02-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I never thought of Ricky Williams showing a lack of effort during his time with the Argonauts. Rather that the broken arm suffered during the summer took a lot out of him and that he wasn't utilized properly or at least that was got Kent Austin fired. Out of all the years (2003-2007) that the Argos were descent during the Pinball-era, 2006 was the one year where our excellent defense and special teams helped us the most. I really could care less about his marijuana habits.

R.J
02-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I'd love to know what you are basing this observation on. I didn't see anything that suggested he was anything less than fully focused on helping the team on the field. He was not utilized properly -- the offence that year was not built to run the ball effectively -- but he always fulfilled his blocking assignments and whenever he got the ball he appeared to me to be going flat out.I was actually going to bring that up as well. IMO Williams did his job, he didn't tear it up like some people thought, but I thought he did a pretty good job running the ball and did exceptionally well with his blocking assignments, Williams even said himself he wasn't in "CFL-Shape", so who knows what he could have done a second season up North.

ArgoGabe22
02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Just to add I thought Williams was also excellent at catching the ball out of the backfield. As for his drug issue, I personally don't do drugs, never have and don't plan to but you and I have no idea what its like to go through as an athlete. Do you consider Brett Favre a bum? Not trying to start a fight but I think the CFL has had worse players, Trevis Smith, Lawrence Phillips just to name a few.

argolio
02-08-2012, 10:29 PM

I have no use for him, and Joe Thiesman was right when he chastized the Argo's for signing this loser.Joe Theismann is, was, and always will be a self-promoting, self-serving tool.

Ricky Williams has/had some pretty serious emotional issues so I get how he turned to drugs. But he overcame that/controlled it and finished out what already was a pretty good career, in addition to being one of the most interesting and unique characters in modern pro sports (and I mean that in a good way).

AngeloV
02-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Can't believe some of the comments on here. Ricky Williams is a great guy, and even though I don't touch the stuff, I have no problem with recreational pot smokers. Anyone that drinks alcohol and complains about someone smoking some pot, is nothing but a hypocrite. Total idiotic comments, but I guess I should be used to that by now.

ArgoRavi
02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Can't believe some of the comments on here. Ricky Williams is a great guy, and even though I don't touch the stuff, I have no problem with recreational pot smokers. Anyone that drinks alcohol and complains about someone smoking some pot, is nothing but a hypocrite.

I agree with this as well. I think that some football players may use pot for some kind of pain relief so it isn't a simple case that a person who uses this or other drugs (illegal or otherwise) is a bum. The whole drug issue is a complicated one that is beyond the scope of this forum. However, there is no evidence that Ricky Williams was anything but a committed football player for the Argos and a good teammate.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8