PDA

View Full Version : Almost 30K in attendance

KCargosfan
06-28-2013, 10:29 PM
29,852. Good work everyone.

Wobbler
06-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Largest crowd for [regular season] Argos' home game since 2009, according to Drew Edwards.

1argoholic
06-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Terrific crowd and crazy game. We need to get it together on D but hey we still won. Yah Baby!!! What a fun league.

jerrym
06-28-2013, 11:01 PM
29,852. Good work everyone.
Great news! I believe we need a new stadium with at least 32,000 seating capacity.

LLB997
06-29-2013, 12:20 AM
awesome loud crowd. fun night and the post game was awesome with AAARRRGGGOOOSSS echoing all up and down BJ's way and Front st.

Argocister
06-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Awesome game ..... Even more awesome that we had many in attendance. There were 14 of my group this time.... Usually only 6 but I'll see what I can drum up next game. :)

doubleblue
06-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Read the pinko Star in a coffee shop this morning. Rather negative write ups. The glass is always half empty with them when it comes to the Argos. I'm so glad I stopped taking it several years ago. But it was a good crowd, that's all the Argos need is the lower bowls filled for a 30,000 average. Who wants to sit up in those cramped 500 seats anyway. The Argos did fine with the old 33,000 seat Ex Stadium for years so why do people think they have to have 50,000 to be successful.

ArgoZ
06-29-2013, 11:29 AM
What a game! The crowd was so pumped after the game. I heard cheers and horns all the way to the Gardiner. So fun.

AngeloV
06-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Read the pinko Star in a coffee shop this morning. Rather negative write ups. The glass is always half empty with them when it comes to the Argos. I'm so glad I stopped taking it several years ago. But it was a good crowd, that's all the Argos need is the lower bowls filled for a 30,000 average. Who wants to sit up in those cramped 500 seats anyway. The Argos did fine with the old 33,000 seat Ex Stadium for years so why do people think they have to have 50,000 to be successful.

Cathal Kelly is a geek that shouldn't be writing about sports, period. Having said that Did you read Ziccarelli's column after the game at Varsity last week? Does that make the Sun "Pinko" as well?

I agree that the Sun carries better Argos and CFL coverage these days than the Star does, but I think it goes in cycles. During the CFL "dark days" the star (mostly thans to Rick Matsumoto) had way better Argos coverage than the Sun did, where 90% of their articles were negative.

ArgoRavi
06-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Cathal Kelly is a geek that shouldn't be writing about sports, period. Having said that Did you read Ziccarelli's column after the game at Varsity last week? Does that make the Sun "Pinko" as well?

I agree that the Sun carries better Argos and CFL coverage these days than the Star does, but I think it goes in cycles. During the CFL "dark days" the star (mostly thans to Rick Matsumoto) had way better Argos coverage than the Sun did, where 90% of their articles were negative.

Having a sports editor at the Star who doesn't appear to be CFL-friendly doesn't help the situation.

paulwoods13
06-29-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm not a fan of Kelly's writing, but I think the column is actually both fair comment and mostly positive. The Argos are not, and likely never will be, on a par with the Leafs and Blue Jays in the city's sporting consciousness. They were at one time, but things have changed. I'm perfectly comfortable with them being a very successful "niche product" that draws 25,000 fans to games and attracts probably six times that watching at home in this market. it seems to me that's his point, too.

The only truly dumb thing Kelly wrote today was saying that soccer was a niche sport in Toronto 20 years ago, because it implies (absurdly) that it is something more than that now. There's definitely greater -- and, in fact, great -- interest here in the World Cup and Euro, and moderately high interest in EPL, but the soccer that exists in this market has a much, much smaller niche than the Argos do. That's not a knock on TFC, just a statement of my belief that many, many more Torontonians care about the Argos than about TFC.

shayman
06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
That's not a knock on TFC, just a statement of my belief that many, many more Torontonians care about the Argos than about TFC.

Agreed, and I'd say many more care about the Argos than the Raptors, too.

Ballstothewall
06-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm not a fan of Kelly's writing, but I think the column is actually both fair comment and mostly positive. The Argos are not, and likely never will be, on a par with the Leafs and Blue Jays in the city's sporting consciousness. They were at one time, but things have changed. I'm perfectly comfortable with them being a very successful "niche product" that draws 25,000 fans to games and attracts probably six times that watching at home in this market. it seems to me that's his
The only truly dumb thing Kelly wrote today was saying that soccer was a niche sport in Toronto 20 years ago, because it implies (absurdly) that it is something more than that now. There's definitely greater -- and, in fact, great -- interest here in the World Cup and Euro, and moderately high interest in EPL, but the soccer that exists in this market has a much, much smaller niche than the Argos do. That's not a knock on TFC, just a statement of my belief that many, many more Torontonians care about the Argos than about TFC.

Paul I could not agree more with your thoughts on the " niche product comment regarding soccer. I sent Kelly a note asking him if the Argos with 30,000 and a TV rating of 750,000 are a niche product" then what does that make TFC who have been playing in front of family and friends for the last 3 years, who also get a TV rating of below 100,000 . What does that make them. In fact what does that make the Raptors who have whole sections of empty seats and a TV average of 180,000, who also make Leafs season ticket holders buy Raptor tickets and they can't give them away. I also did not care for his comments, that the CFL and the Argos used to much Canadina in their marketing of the game, it is after all the Canadian Football league

shayman
06-29-2013, 04:19 PM
That was a lot of fun last night. Did anybody else try the 200-level terrace thing in the outfield that replaced Windows restaurant? The band wandered up there in Q4. Check it out yourself, it's a neat perspective on the game.

herrington2828
06-29-2013, 06:51 PM
I emailed cathal Kelly. will post in a new topic

matchuk
06-29-2013, 09:15 PM
That was a lot of fun last night. Did anybody else try the 200-level terrace thing in the outfield that replaced Windows restaurant? The band wandered up there in Q4. Check it out yourself, it's a neat perspective on the game.

can you get up there with any type of ticket? i heard they did that with the jays but wasnt sure with the argos

Rocket
06-29-2013, 10:27 PM
can you get up there with any type of ticket? i heard they did that with the jays but wasnt sure with the argos
Yep they allowed anyone up there to watch!

BATKINSON001
06-30-2013, 09:02 AM

I checked it out during the 3rd quarter, and I like what they have done. I would like to see fans in the seats below that though, those are NEVER used.

Argocister
06-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Saskatchewan had about 35,000
Winnipeg 33,500
Toronto 29,800
Calgary 26,600

Pretty good attendance for season openers

Will
06-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Not a bad crowd in Calgary considering...

herrington2828
06-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Not a bad crowd in Calgary considering... Happy they got the game in to restore a bit of a distraction and normalcy to the city

7dj83r8f78t4alf8