PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Alfredsson leaves Ottawa for Detroit

ArgoRavi
07-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Well, isn't that a kick in the teeth for Ottawa fans? Alfredsson, the city's hero for many years, leaves the Sens for Detroit because he perceives that the Wings have a better chance at the Stanley Cup. If I were an Ottawa fan, I would be quite bitter about this today because a case could be made that Detroit isn't all that much better than Ottawa at this point.

paulwoods13
07-06-2013, 08:17 AM
a case could be made that Detroit isn't all that much better than Ottawa at this point.

Them's fightin' words, Ravi! (I'm a Wings fan.)

Argocister
07-06-2013, 08:41 AM
I tend to agree with some sports commentaries.... Ottawa should have wrapped up the deal before it even went to free agency. Alfie stated that about 2 weeks ago he wasn't even thinking of changing. Let others suggest reasons to go ... and if something favourable comes up... All of a sudden an opportunity arises and he signs elsewhere.
Murray commented that they put on the table what they could do as a team so I'm thinking it wasn't a very respectable offer if his agent started looking elsewhere.

matchuk
07-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Well, isn't that a kick in the teeth for Ottawa fans? Alfredsson, the city's hero for many years, leaves the Sens for Detroit because he perceives that the Wings have a better chance at the Stanley Cup. If I were an Ottawa fan, I would be quite bitter about this today because a case could be made that Detroit isn't all that much better than Ottawa at this point.

what about leaf fans with sundin? i am not a leaf fan so dont care, but i hope you (if you are a leaf fan) were upset when sundin did the same thing?

ArgoRavi
07-07-2013, 04:44 PM
what about leaf fans with sundin? i am not a leaf fan so dont care, but i hope you (if you are a leaf fan) were upset when sundin did the same thing?

In all fairness, Sundin had not been with the Leafs for his entire career as Alfredsson has with Ottawa and Sundin really did have a better chance at a Stanley Cup in Vancouver than he did in Toronto. I personally think that Detroit is a better team than Ottawa but they made it no further in the playoffs this past season than the Sens did and their regular season records were comparable IIRC.

Will
07-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Didn't Sens fans tease Leaf fans when Sundin left that their precious Alfie would never leave their beloved Ottawa?

matchuk
07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Didn't Sens fans tease Leaf fans when Sundin left that their precious Alfie would never leave their beloved Ottawa?

im not a fan of either team at all, but find it funny that leaf fans think sundin leaving was ok because he wanted to win a cup, but alfredson leaving was the worst thing, and hes such an evil guy now

both players did the same thing

Will
07-10-2013, 04:45 PM
How is Alfredsson any more likelier to win a cup at this point going to Detroit than he is in Ottawa? Both teams both made it into the second round of the playoffs. When Sundin left Toronto the Leafs were a joke.

ArgoRavi
07-10-2013, 11:31 PM
How is Alfredsson any more likelier to win a cup at this point going to Detroit than he is in Ottawa? Both teams both made it into the second round of the playoffs. When Sundin left Toronto the Leafs were a joke.

Exactly! That is the big difference to me. Alfredsson was also a career-long Senator as Ottawa had even drafted him whereas Sundin had played elsewhere in the NHL.

Will
07-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Exactly! That is the big difference to me. Alfredsson was also a career-long Senator as Ottawa had even drafted him whereas Sundin had played elsewhere in the NHL.

I honestly don't rate that as that huge of a factor. Sundin started in Quebec that is true, but that's probably an afterthought in many people's minds.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8