PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Fergie Olver?

ArgoRavi
07-15-2013, 03:56 PM
I was just watching the Weather Network and host Carrie Olver and started wondering whatever happened to her father, Fergie "How About Those Blue Jays" Olver? Even prior to becoming one of the faces of the Blue Jays in the 1980s, Olver was a prominent member of the Toronto sports media covering the Argos and Leafs. His stardom rose in the 1980s along with the Blue Jays as he was one of the greatest promoters of that team during his time as a broadcaster for them. He even co-hosted his own game show during that decade - the classic "Just Like Mom". And then he just disappeared in the mid-1990s. What happened to him? How did he go from being such a large figure in baseball/sports broadcasting in Canada to a complete non-entity? Does anyone know?

Will
07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
According to Wikipedia CTV had rights to Blue Jay games until 1996 and it says that Oliver worked for them until that time. I don't know what's become of him since.

1argoholic
07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Ravi I just googled him after reading your post. He should be in jail as I watched a clip from his old show. WOW! I just remember that it was bad but I didn't remember what he got away with.

ArgoGabe22
07-15-2013, 04:14 PM
He should be in jail as I watched a clip from his old show. WOW! I just remember that it was bad but I didn't remember what he got away with.

Just saw that video for the first time. Very creepy, was that normal in the 80's?

ArgoRavi
07-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Just saw that video for the first time. Very creepy, was that normal in the 80's?

Honestly, I used to watch that show on occasion back in the 1980s and never gave a second thought about it or thought that Fergie was creepy although I certainly thought that the show was awful. Watching those clips tonight makes me cringe though. Any male today trying to do what Fergie did on that show would not last long at all on TV but I wouldn't necessarily conclude, like some seem to be, that Fergie was a pedophile as it was a much different time. Anyway, that certainly wasn't what killed his career but I can't recall why the Jays got rid of him. I would say that viewers either loved Fergie or hated him on those Blue Jays telecasts.

argolio
07-16-2013, 12:40 AM
I'll never forget him saying "I love the Blue Jays, especially when they win" in the middle of a game. There are a lot of shameless homers in sports broadcasting today, but it was rare back then, especially in Canada.

294life
07-16-2013, 10:36 AM
looks like they want to revive the show and call it 'Just like mom.....and dad.'

he was nominated for the Ford C. Frick award in 2004.

Will
07-16-2013, 10:46 AM
In the early days of TSN he was actually the play-by-play guy. On CTV he was the host or whatever you want to call it to Don Chevrier and Tony Kubek who weren't bad.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8