PDA

View Full Version : 24 people on site

Ballstothewall
07-19-2013, 11:06 PM
How do we have 24 people on this site after the Winnipeg game, but yet it's the same 5 people posting. Come on guys , join the debate/discussions, we don't bite. Well some of us don't

1argoholic
07-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Stop reading and start posting you slackers.

ArgoGabe22
07-20-2013, 12:31 AM
This might sum up the fan base as a whole. High TV ratings but lots of empty seats at the stadium.

Ballstothewall
07-20-2013, 12:50 PM
This might sum up the fan base as a whole. High TV ratings but lots of empty seats at the stadium.

good analogy

Argocister
07-20-2013, 04:51 PM
The storm didn't help much.... Even my iPad was having troubles getting thru without power ..... Still down, guess its cooking up the freezer stuff tomorrow BBQ!

ArgoAnge
07-20-2013, 07:38 PM
I like to read the posts, but I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of people on the site so I tend not to post if I don't think I can legitimately contribute.
:)

West Coast Boatman
07-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Very long time reader and lifelong Argo fan (met some of you I'm sure), but not a poster. Sorry guys, but aside from the actual content being offered - this site is run WAY too militantly for my chosing. No swearing, no opinions, banning posters etc. Not my style. I believe in freedom of speech. Enjoy.

ArgoZ
07-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Very long time reader and lifelong Argo fan (met some of you I'm sure), but not a poster. Sorry guys, but aside from the actual content being offered - this site is run WAY too militantly for my chosing. No swearing, no opinions, banning posters etc. Not my style. I believe in freedom of speech. Enjoy.

Not good enough reasons not to post. This kind of reminds me as why people don't go to the games. They list completely irrelevant or untrue reasons. Swearing is not allowed in almost every forum. And to be honest, it's quite hard to have any conversation when someone is f'ing everything. Opinions are what this site is all about, definitely allowed. There is only a problem when you list a particular opinion in every single post or topic, you just tick people off.

jerrym
07-21-2013, 07:41 PM
I've been on quite a few different sites and found this one to be the friendliest and most supportive. Believe me there are sites in other sports where, even when their team is in first place for most of the season, more fans are making negative than positive comments about their team's players or coaches and insulting other fans. Here the vast majority of people willingly help others find info, team merchandise, etc. when asked. You're welcome to jump right in.

Argo57
07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
I've been on quite a few different sites and found this one to be the friendliest and most supportive. Believe me there are sites in other sports where, even when their team is in first place for most of the season, more fans are making negative than positive comments about their team's players or coaches and insulting other fans. Here the vast majority of people willingly help others find info, team merchandise, etc. when asked. You're welcome to jump right in.

This is the first site I have joined and I really like it, there is definitely a friendly feel about this site.
Why would you even bother with a site that entertains personal attacks and insults???

ArgoRavi
07-21-2013, 08:36 PM
This is the first site I have joined and I really like it, there is definitely a friendly feel about this site.
Why would you even bother with a site that entertains personal attacks and insults???

CFLZone.com tried to be the kind of site where anything and everything goes and now it is lucky to get two posts a week. The mods on here have a tough and thankless task which I would not want but I think that they do a pretty good job of balancing freedom of speech while keeping a level of decorum on here.

Wobbler
07-21-2013, 08:39 PM
WCB has a point - we have overmoderated a few times. I really think that this is a quite friendly environment for Argo fans, however. Opinions expressed in the S&I forum will be taken seriously, FWIW.

Fungi
07-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Bullshit! The over sensisitive moderator and his soccer and Ticat buddies make this sight non sequitor. Ravi is a sponge. Not all people are like that. I've seen a guy attack argosister....
1argoholic has threatened to jump ship a few times...and our poet laureat MB is malighned alot. AV is a football guru.
I lurk...that's it...I won't participate because of the negative BS. Argo's rule...
I'll still lurk... but won't be back.
Good luck in Gods country 1Argoholic! I miss that place. Get a canoe!

Wobbler
07-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Thank you for the clear illustration, Fungi.

What sort of forum do Argonauts fans want?

Mulder
07-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Bullshit! The over sensisitive moderator and his soccer and Ticat buddies make this sight non sequitor.

I asked you to stop attacking them. Because every second post of yours was attacking Cossack, or T-bone. You then complained to me about the site being negative. Meanwhile you were contributing to much of the negativity. funny how that works

ArgoRavi
07-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Bullshit! The over sensisitive moderator and his soccer and Ticat buddies make this sight non sequitor. Ravi is a sponge. Not all people are like that. I've seen a guy attack argosister....
1argoholic has threatened to jump ship a few times...and our poet laureat MB is malighned alot. AV is a football guru.
I lurk...that's it...I won't participate because of the negative BS. Argo's rule...

There are certainly a lot of different personalities on here which makes it difficult to please everyone though. Again, I wouldn't want the task of being a moderator. I probably shouldn't have brought the topic of moderating up. :peekaboo:

Mulder
07-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Every cfl forum has no swearing. The only onion not being shared is the people who don't post. Only banned 2 people EVER. One for insulting members and releasing personal information about players, the other (which expires today) for having a personal agenda against Chris Rudge and hijacking every thread after repeated warnings.

Wobbler
07-21-2013, 09:33 PM
You aren't responsible for "summoning" Fungi, Ravi. He is a natural disaster.

argolio
07-21-2013, 10:15 PM
LOL, Fungi lives!!!

BATKINSON001
07-21-2013, 10:59 PM
I read, I comment when I feel like it.

Rocket
07-21-2013, 11:15 PM

Couldn't agree anymore fungi! This site looks like it is just four or five people that are on here! I wish maybe if the Argos organization could do something about it were they can promote the site at the games and encourage younger people to the site no matter if they have postive or negative views about the team.

Couldn't agree anymore with you west coast boatman except maybe for the swearing part! It's to bad that a couple of guys on here ruin this site by not allowing new fans or any Argo fan to express there opinion on the team no matter postive or negative to the team. Been a fan of the Argos for over 25 years I will always support this team no matter what in any way except for this site! Go Argos!!!

Wobbler
07-22-2013, 12:03 AM
The Argos could certainly use more fans. But on the other hand, psychiatrists need more patients...

argolio
07-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Well he didn't last long.

LLB997
07-22-2013, 02:02 AM
I like this site. I think people are pretty critical of how things are run here. I am on a few other sports forums and most will ban you for typo's. I find the moderators pretty laid back here. Alot of knowledgable fans who call it like they see it which i respect. PS- Chris Rudge is a douche. just kidding.

Mulder
07-22-2013, 09:20 AM
How do we have 24 people on this site after the Winnipeg game, but yet it's the same 5 people posting. Come on guys , join the debate/discussions, we don't bite. Well some of us don't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

This also relates to the 1% rule of Internet forums. Where 1% of the users create content and participate, while 99% lurk.

Few ways to deal with it.
1) Hide some forums from Lurker view. Forcing registration, if they want to see more.
2) Limit unregistered user views. (ala "Paywall" but without actually paying) To say 10 threads a month.
3) Encourage discussion on multiple topics to increase participation in topics users care more about.

I've chosen number 3. People here are free to discuss anything and everything, so long as it's in the right place and follows the forums rules.

ArgoGabe22
07-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I'll admit that when I was new on the other site, I barely posted about football because I was intimidated by the more experienced members (I was only 18 at the time). Not that any members attacked me or anything, I just didn't know what people would think of my opinions so I understand that point. As time went by, I got familiar with the members and now have no problems posting. Never really understood the whole "I can't swear" thing.

herrington2828
07-22-2013, 10:37 AM
I'll admit that when I was new on the other site, I barely posted about football because I was intimidated by the more experienced members (I was only 18 at the time). Not that any members attacked me or anything, I just didn't know what people would think of my opinions so I understand that point. As time went by, I got familiar with the members and now have no problems posting. Never really understood the whole "I can't swear" thing.

i lurked for 4 years before finally diving in. just didnt see a need to post but now I am happy I do here and there. I like how ppl help eachother out on here!

T-Bone
07-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Never really understood the whole "I can't swear" thing.
I don't get it either. Most boards don't allow swearing and some will actually ban people for something as simple as this:

Bullshit!
It's pretty obvious that around here the occasional BS here and there will be tolerated but I'm sure excessive swearing would not. We all get pissed off about things from time to time, myself included but this is one of the most laid back boards I've seen. People that complain about moderation here don't know how good they got it. Personally I don't care as much about quantity as I do quality and this board overall is quality.

Mulder
07-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Never really understood the whole "I can't swear" thing.

I don't get it either. Most boards don't allow swearing and some will actually ban people for something as simple as this:

It's pretty obvious that around here the occasional BS here and there will be tolerated but I'm sure excessive swearing would not.

It's pretty simple to get your point across without swearing. Sure what some people consider swearing like BS is ok. But if you start dropping F-bombs or try and avoid the profanity filter your asking for trouble.

There's also a difference in swearing at the teams performance or a call. And swearing at another member of the forum.

Ex.

That was a *bad word* call by a stupid ref.

T-Bone you are stupid and an *excrement emitter*.

T-Bone
07-22-2013, 11:30 AM
T-Bone you are stupid and a bullshitter.I'm not going to be talked to like that, I'm done with this board.

Mulder
07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm not going to be talked to like that, I'm done with this board.

You have this backwards. A Moderator is supposed to edit my post to remove the insult. I'm suppose to see that my post was edited, blame the moderators for being over sensitive, leave the forums for 10 months. Come back, use a curse word and blame the moderators and insult more people!

1argoholic
07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Used to go on a band site and everything was allowed. People were very cool and got along. Guys in other bands even sent me cd's and the like. Different though as it was a band we all loved. Sports gets heated. I've changed my style.

AngeloV
07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
There are certainly a lot of different personalities on here which makes it difficult to please everyone though. Again, I wouldn't want the task of being a moderator. I probably shouldn't have brought the topic of moderating up. :peekaboo:

Way to go Ravi. :D

jerrym
07-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks to the moderators for a thankless job.

Will
07-22-2013, 01:15 PM
You have this backwards. A Moderator is supposed to edit my post to remove the insult. I'm suppose to see that my post was edited, blame the moderators for being over sensitive, leave the forums for 10 months. Come back, use a curse word and blame the moderators and insult more people!

Then disappear again?

T-Bone
07-22-2013, 01:28 PM
I like to read the posts, but I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of people on the site so I tend not to post if I don't think I can legitimately contribute.
:)
I feel similar. I feel I'm an amateur of the game still because I knew very little about football until I started following the Argos in 2009. My parents aren't in to sports other than World Cup soccer so I wasn't exposed to it growing up. This site is part of the reason I started following the Argos in the first place.

herrington2828
07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm not going to be talked to like that, I'm done with this board.

please tell me you understood the context and are just joking back ...

T-Bone
07-22-2013, 04:32 PM
please tell me you understood the context and are just joking back ...
I do. It was a joke.

herrington2828
07-22-2013, 04:41 PM
I do. It was a joke.

ok phew! didn't wanna lose a great member - always enjoy your posts. Cheers!

paulwoods13
07-22-2013, 06:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

This also relates to the 1% rule of Internet forums. Where 1% of the users create content and participate, while 99% lurk.

Few ways to deal with it.
1) Hide some forums from Lurker view. Forcing registration, if they want to see more.
2) Limit unregistered user views. (ala "Paywall" but without actually paying) To say 10 threads a month.
3) Encourage discussion on multiple topics to increase participation in topics users care more about.

I've chosen number 3. People here are free to discuss anything and everything, so long as it's in the right place and follows the forums rules.

This approach (No. 3, that is, and eschewing Nos. 1 and 2) certainly makes sense to me.

Midnight Blue
07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
I think this is a great site !

Don't anybody worry about not knowing all of the prospects, and draft picks, because, well, we are fortunate enough to have more than several members here who follow them closely....

I too, feel like an amateur, when it comes to the ins and outs of up and coming players. I've watched the CFL since the Seventies ('71 loss against Calgary game I still remember watching on TV, and saying --- OH, NOOOOO!), but I while I know and love the game, I appreciate the extremely-informed members who visit here, and let the rest of us know what's cooking on the inside.

I invite everyone to join in and participate on this forum, because, we all share the Argonaut Spirit !

Ka 'Pla !

Midnight Blue
07-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Fungi, thank you for your kind words.

I only write (occasional) poetry here, because I usually visit this site when I'm drinking, and this usually corresponds with my off-time during the week. Besides, if it wasn't for poetry, I'd probably have to resort to finger-painting the walls, when I seriously drink.

Fungi, I think it would be cool if you chose to visit and comment more often here.

I, and I'm sure many others, miss you.

Life is what you make it, and an internet forum, is what we make it !

Ka 'Pla !

Ballstothewall
07-22-2013, 09:14 PM

I get and understand some of what your saying, but why give that power over to people. listen, i do think there are some people on here, who think THEIR postings and statements are just so dam correct and take themselves way to seriously. sooooo what. either debate them, or just keep posting your thoughts and move on. sometimes this site gets boring with the same 10 people who post stuff all the time. This is one of the problems with some Argo fans, they sit on the sidelines and don't get involved. i have had guys who PM me, agreeing with my post, only to say they don"t want to go on the board and say it, because so and so will get upset with them. things like that annoy me to no end. i just want to hear from other Argo fans, exchange thoughts and ideals on the Argos and CFL. The game i love,played,coached,and still get into the odd bar fight over!!!!! P.S overall i think the Mod's do a good job on here.

Midnight Blue
07-22-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree, the Mods do a great job here !

It's not easy, trying to keep track of all of us Rockers !

This forum has humour, occasional sophistication, and even white punks on dope !

This forum has not, been over-moderated.

It's just that the Mods, can't get as high as the rest of us, since they have responsibilities.

Ka 'Pla !

Ballstothewall
07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
I get and understand some of what your saying, but why give that power over to people. listen, i do think there are some people on here, who think THEIR postings and statements are just so dam correct and take themselves way to seriously. sooooo what. either debate them, or just keep posting your thoughts and move on. sometimes this site gets boring with the same 10 people who post stuff all the time. This is one of the problems with some Argo fans, they sit on the sidelines and don't get involved. i have had guys who PM me, agreeing with my post, only to say they don"t want to go on the board and say it, because so and so will get upset with them. things like that annoy me to no end. i just want to hear from other Argo fans, exchange thoughts and ideals on the Argos and CFL. The game i love,played,coached,and still get into the odd bar fight over!!!!! P.S overall i think the Mod's do a good job on here.

Flutie2, I could not agree more with your post. Everyone loves when you post stuff. Great job and keep up the good work

I agree, the Mods do a great job here !

It's not easy, trying to keep track of all of us Rockers !

This forum has humour, occasional sophistication, and even white punks on dope !

This forum has not, been over-moderated.

It's just that the Mods, can't get as high as the rest of us,

Ka 'Pla !
And what are we drinking this evening, Mr midnight. Myself, I just polished off a nice bottle of red wine. It was made from red grapes. As you can see, the wine course I'm taking is really paying off

Midnight Blue
07-22-2013, 09:59 PM
And what are we drinking this evening, Mr Midnight. Myself, I just polished off a nice bottle of red wine. It was made from red grapes. As you can see, the wine course I'm taking is really paying off

Okay, you caught me. Being a beer drinker, I occasionally get into the National Drink of Newfoundland.

Rum and Coke. Dammit, I love Rum and Cokes, but I only sometimes drink them on weekends, in order to stay in reasonable shape.

Ka 'Pla !

Ballstothewall
07-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Okay, you caught me. Being a beer drinker, I occasionally get into the National Drink of Newfoundland.

Rum and Coke. Dammit, I love Rum and Cokes, but I only sometimes drink them on weekends, in order to stay in reasonable shape.

Ka 'Pla !
Oh, I love my rum and coke too. The wife hates when I tell her, I'm going sailing with the Captain tonight. White Captain Morgen and diet coke, with lots of ice.

Fungi
07-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Yea...yea...OK...Limited only...
Only because I'm inspired by MB'screative mind
-1Argoholics resolve,ie. packing up and going back home
-the grumpy old men network
if the oversensitive admin. wants me back???
lets have a vote.

Wobbler
07-22-2013, 10:39 PM
It's pretty simple to get your point across without swearing. Sure what some people consider swearing like BS is ok. But if you start dropping F-bombs or try and avoid the profanity filter your asking for trouble.

There's also a difference in swearing at the teams performance or a call. And swearing at another member of the forum.

Ex.

That was a *bad word* call by a stupid ref.

T-Bone you are stupid and an *excrement emitter*.
We mighty mods expect more, Mulder! Please don't make me ban you.

Midnight Blue
07-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Yea...yea...OK...Limited only...
Only because I'm inspired by MB's creative mind
-1Argoholics resolve,ie. packing up and going back home
-the grumpy old men network
if the oversensitive admin. wants me back???
lets have a vote.

Fungi, Dammit, this forum hasn't been the same without you !

Seriously, you can leave at any time, if you want to.

But in the same context, I would highly recommend, that you may also wish to stay.

We're all Argo Fans !

Sure, there's some trash talk on here, but we love Ti-Cat fans too, because, they are still somehow able to post comments here, even while sharing seven teeth, between the 38 of them.

Don't let bullshit get you down. We are trying to compete with Oxford and Cambridge, for the most intellectual forum on this Planet. Sure, some of them may be marginally smarter than us, but, we Football Fans, get laid more. So it evens out.

Ka 'Pla !

1argoholic
07-23-2013, 01:27 AM
Hey I'm still hanging out here but in a much better space knowing that our days in the 1960's are coming to an end.

Ballstothewall
07-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Hey I'm still hanging out here but in a much better space knowing that our days in the 1960's are coming to an end.
just remember, we wear shoes in ONT, so no more bare feet

Fungi
07-23-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't think Rocket is all that bad. Sure, theres a bit of red glare, but why send bombs at him, they'll just be bursting in air, you have to give him proof through the night(and day) that our Argo flag is still there.
Ok, I'll stop there.
As for my opinion on Rudge...18.000 against the Riders after winning the 100th Grey Cup? I wouldn't call that much of an accomplishment. IMO

7dj83r8f78t4alf8