PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we'll be in suspense until Tueday

bluto
07-21-2013, 12:28 PM
ARGOS MUM ON RAY’S KNEE
Even if the Argos had a better handle on Ricky Ray’s knee injury, no one associated with the organization is willing to discuss it for public consumption.
All that is known is Ray was able to put weight on his left knee, the same knee he injured last season in a loss to Montreal, when he left Friday’s game in Winnipeg.
The Argos arrived Saturday and won’t be back on the practice field until later in the week as the team next plays on July 30. against visiting B.C.
Head coach Scott Milanovich has a scheduled media availability on Tuesday, but even then there’s no guarantee anything concrete on Ray’s health will be provided.
In football, no card gets played until the last moment.
Chad Kackert’s right knee injury appears to be much serious than Ray, providing rookie tailback Curtis Steele with his opportunity.
In Trevor Harris and Zach Collaros, the Argos have two very promising young arms who have each seen action in the past two weeks.
If Milanovich does go public at some point this week about Ray, it’s expected he’ll name a starter for the B.C. game if Toronto’s incumbent can’t play.
Before Ray was hurt in the third quarter, he had completed 19 of 20 passes, a CFL record for completion percentage in a game, his lone incompletion courtesy of a dropped ball by rookie John Chiles.
“Rookie nerves,” Milanovich said of the Chiles drop.
Chiles, though, made amends by hooking up with Harris on a deep sideline route that showcased Harris’ arm strength and Chiles’ speed.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/20/argos-mitchell-finds-himself
(http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/20/argos-mitchell-finds-himself)

Wobbler
07-21-2013, 12:43 PM
It would be pretty surprising if Ray doesn't miss at least a game.

I would vote for Harris getting the start, without any noise about him "sharing" it with Collaros. ZC can handle short yardage and come in if needed, but Harris is better equipped to run our normal offense and it would make sense for one guy to get all the first team reps next week.

bluto
07-21-2013, 01:25 PM
our screwy schedule may actually be our friend in this instance...

we don't play until a week Tuesday (30th) and the following week is our bye... so if a few guys need a bit of time to recuperate, sitting out one game will get them nearly 3 weeks rest.

Will
07-21-2013, 03:51 PM
About what I expected on how long we'd have to wait for news.

AngeloV
07-21-2013, 04:04 PM
It would be pretty surprising if Ray doesn't miss at least a game.

I would vote for Harris getting the start, without any noise about him "sharing" it with Collaros. ZC can handle short yardage and come in if needed, but Harris is better equipped to run our normal offense and it would make sense for one guy to get all the first team reps next week.

Have to disagree. I would definitely go with Collaros. Harris threw a good ball to Chiles, but I don't see as much in him as others do.

Argo57
07-21-2013, 04:19 PM
I would go with Collaros as well, but whichever way they go leave the guy in for a decent amount of reps to see what he can do.

1argoholic
07-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Collaros seems to have a good strong arm but I'm excited about both he and Harris. Hope we don't lose one to Ottawa. Hopefully Mitchell in Calgary is now on their radar.

Will
07-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Collaros seems to have a good strong arm but I'm excited about both he and Harris. Hope we don't lose one to Ottawa. Hopefully Mitchell in Calgary is now on their radar.

(i) Like Angelo I like Collaros a little bit more at this point.

(ii) Was I the only one who wasn't overly impressed by Bo Levi Mitchell yesterday?

Stevoman
07-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Collaros is my pick as well but that's also because #17 has always been my favourite number. It was good to see Harris though. I think he is a decent backup but maybe not as ready to be starter.

Will
07-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Collaros is my pick as well but that's also because #17 has always been my favourite number. It was good to see Harris though. I think he is a decent backup but maybe not as ready to be starter.

We frankly don't know if either of them are ready to be a starter.

ArgoRavi
07-21-2013, 06:24 PM
(i) Like Angelo I like Collaros a little bit more at this point.

(ii) Was I the only one who wasn't overly impressed by Bo Levi Mitchell yesterday?

I am even on Collaros and Harris. I thought that Mitchell played very well last night. He has impressed me almost every time I have seen him play.

Wobbler
07-21-2013, 06:41 PM
It really is great to have the opportunity to properly evaluate a backup QB this early in the season, even though Harris/Collaros will have the extra challenge of lining up in front of a rookie RB. Having said that, I'm glad we'll be able to evaluate Steele, who might never have even dressed this season without Kackert's injury.

Wobbler
07-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Speaking of decisions for next week, what did you think of Chiles' performance, Angelo? I thought it was ironic that Barnes saved his bacon on that fumble, considering that to keep playing Chiles we'd probably need to move Inman inside and sit JB.

For the record I wouldn't do that yet *unless* we do start Harris and he likes throwing to Chiles.

Will
07-21-2013, 06:57 PM
I am even on Collaros and Harris. I thought that Mitchell played very well last night. He has impressed me almost every time I have seen him play.

I felt Mitchell looked a little shaky at times, but I suppose you have to give him credit for coming in and keeping the Stampeders momentum going after Glenn went down.

AngeloV
07-21-2013, 07:28 PM
I felt Mitchell looked a little shaky at times, but I suppose you have to give him credit for coming in and keeping the Stampeders momentum going after Glenn went down.

In fairness to Mitchell, he moved the ball as well as either of the other QB's going into the wind. He didn't have much time with the wind, but did lead his team to a TD.

AngeloV
07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Speaking of decisions for next week, what did you think of Chiles' performance, Angelo? I thought it was ironic that Barnes saved his bacon on that fumble, considering that to keep playing Chiles we'd probably need to move Inman inside and sit JB.

For the record I wouldn't do that yet *unless* we do start Harris and he likes throwing to Chiles.

I liked what I saw of him. Good size and speed to burn. I'll give him a mulligan on the drop. I wouldn't replace Barnes as of yet either, but it's nice to have the option to scratch a receiver that isn't performing. Always a good wake up call, and worked with Barnes last year.

jerrym
07-21-2013, 07:32 PM
I hate to sound repetitive but I prefer Collaros to Harris, although both have shown a lot of promise in limited action. I'm also excited about seeing Steele, not simply because of his very good game in the preseason, but also because his running style is very different from Kackert's (whose combination of running and receiving has been outstanding), making it harder for the opposition to adjust to him. In addition, Steele seems to have the power to pick up those short yardage first downs.

bluto
07-21-2013, 09:43 PM
I liked what I saw of him. Good size and speed to burn. I'll give him a mulligan on the drop. I wouldn't replace Barnes as of yet either, but it's nice to have the option to scratch a receiver that isn't performing. Always a good wake up call, and worked with Barnes last year.

yup. file that under the "nice problem to have" category.

Rocket
07-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Lets hope chad and ray are ok to go for Tuesday game. Who would we replace chad with if he is out would it be durie or would the Argos bring in another player to the team?

Will
07-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Curtis Steele is our back-up running back. He impressed the coaches during training camp and will probably get the opportunity to start.

argos1873
07-22-2013, 12:07 AM
I also hate to be repetitive, but I've yet to see Harris do anything in game action like Collaros has. That's not to say he hasn't, but I haven't seen it, given I haven't seen him play much. From what I've seen Collaros deserves to start.

Rich
07-22-2013, 12:31 AM
In addition, Steele seems to have the power to pick up those short yardage first downs.

I don't think so. Steele's a skinny little guy, reminded me of Dexter McCluster. They used to call them scat backs.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8