PDA

View Full Version : The Kicking Game

argonaut11xx
02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
The Argo's already got rid of Prefontaine once, due to the fact he was inconsistant, and getting old. Last year he was average at best.

Should the Argo's look at Justin Medlock?, he is 10 years younger, and is on the upside of his career.....

Are there any other options?

I'd suggest that because the Argo's were so terrible on offence, and defence, that our below average kicking game was given a free pass.

Will
02-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Medlock certainly has a better FG% than Prefontaine, but Pre is still the better punter. Medlock may also be younger, but to quote a common theme, Prefontaine has the right passport.

argonaut11xx
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
if we want to take a serious shot at the grey cup, Can we survive with the 6th best FG kicker in a 8 team league?...and he is a year older (39) this year...

again...he is a fan favorite...but if you look at his skill set honestly, he has regressed since 2009-2010...

Skinny G
02-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Couple questions to potentially consider about Pre's season...

How many holders did he have? (I can count 3 off the top of my head - Eiben, Copeland, Shaw) What were his stats prior to Eiben being knocked out for the season?

We all know how important that lefty holder is.... so that might have had a little bit to do with the bad stats...and if McCallum can do it.... we should have some faith in Pre!

1argoholic
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I still think pre has what it takes.

ArgoGabe22
02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Don't even think the Argos moved the ball past half to give him a chance to score a FG or was barely in the redzone for an automatic score lol

I thought Pre's worst game was in the Finals last last season and after that wasn't bad at all. I remember once Shaw fumbled the snap and then Pre/Shaw tried throwing it and failed.

eiben35
02-09-2012, 04:26 PM
The Argos have to draft a kicker or sign a free agent and try to develop them like BC does. That is a quality organization. Look at Sean Whyte and what he did in Montreal. Last year they drafted Hugh O'Neill and he will be ready to take over once Paul McCallum hangs them up.

ArgoRavi
02-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I really didn't think that kicking was an issue last season. We do need to draft or sign a young kicker to replace Shaw as Prefontaine's backup. Also, Shaw was excellent with kickoffs and Prefontaine is not quite as good in that area so that might be a cause for concern.

argolio
02-11-2012, 02:58 PM
I'd suggest that because the Argo's were so terrible on offence, and defence, that our below average kicking game was given a free pass.Among starting punters and FG kickers, Pre was third in punting average, fourth in net punting, and fifth in field goal percentage (and that was with a slow start). What exactly was below average about that?

paulwoods13
02-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Pre's more than adequate -- he made better than 80% of his field goal tries, and is a fantastic directional punter who can also run or throw it if need be. I don't see kicking as a weakness on this team at all. I do hope we find a depth guy after losing Shaw, but I see no reason Pre can't kick for a few more seasons.

AngeloV
02-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Pre's more than adequate -- he made better than 80% of his field goal tries, and is a fantastic directional punter who can also run or throw it if need be. I don't see kicking as a weakness on this team at all. I do hope we find a depth guy after losing Shaw, but I see no reason Pre can't kick for a few more seasons.

Agreed Paul. I guess some people on here can only be happy when they have something to complain about.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8