PDA

View Full Version : Need some Argo news! Now!!

1argoholic
02-09-2012, 12:47 PM
After all the excitement just after Grey Cup Argo news has dried up. Was hoping to hear about some free agent signings or something by now. Perhaps a few more receivers to bring into camp.

R.J
02-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Less than a week until FA opens, but from what I have read lately, Barker is not planning on big FA signings, plus he actually seems quite happy/content with the current receiving core and feels that with Ray in the fold the offense should be fine. http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/football/montreal-alouettes/Barker+Argos+will+spend+recklessly/6125828/story.html

Should also point out that the Argos are one of the likely destinations for Anwar Stewart, along with Hamilton and Saskatchewan. Greg Carr looks to heading to free agency according to his agent.

ArgoRavi
02-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Barker's comments sound reasonable to me. At the end of the day, signing other teams' free agents might help you to fill a hole here or there but a team's success will be determined mostly by their off-season recruiting and drafting.

eiben35
02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Jim Barker is an idiot if he thinks our receivers are going to be fine. Him and Mike Hagen sat on their collective asses last off-season and did nothing to improve the team and it clearly showed. David Braley should have shown him the door after the disastrous 2011 season. Spencer Watt took a step backwards last season, Andre Durie has to get open down the field more and Chad Owens has to learn to catch and not fumble once a game. :fart:

Will
02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Less than a week until FA opens, but from what I have read lately, Barker is not planning on big FA signings, plus he actually seems quite happy/content with the current receiving core and feels that with Ray in the fold the offense should be fine. http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/football/montreal-alouettes/Barker+Argos+will+spend+recklessly/6125828/story.html

Should also point out that the Argos are one of the likely destinations for Anwar Stewart, along with Hamilton and Saskatchewan. Greg Carr looks to heading to free agency according to his agent.

While I (like others) would like to see what Mann, Boldin, Tranks and Ballard have to offer, I'm not exactly pleased that Barker seems satisfied with the current receiver corps. While I agree that the QB situation partially contributed to the problem, the receiving corps is not something I'd like to just sit on and say that the new QB will change everything.

1argoholic
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Unreal! I can't believe he's going to operate the same way as last year. You need more than Ricky Ray to be a quality team. If he thinks we don't need receiver help than he's a moron!!!

ArgoRavi
02-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Let's not panic. It isn't like Barker is saying that he won't be bringing other receivers into camp. Obviously, Milanovich has his own idea about whether the current crop of receivers is good enough or not as well.

gilthethrill
02-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Rest assured, there will be new blood in the receiving core coming from a FA camp down south, expect signings soon. I am however concerned about the lack of news regarding a new OC. What is the "Contingency Plan" anyway?

Will
02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Rest assured, there will be new blood in the receiving core coming from a FA camp down south, expect signings soon. I am however concerned about the lack of news regarding a new OC. What is the "Contingency Plan" anyway?

To address your two points:

[1] There may be new blood in the receiving corps from FA camps, but who says any of them will amount to anything?

[2] Maybe there isn't a rush to get a new offensive co-ordinator precisely because Milanovich knows he'll be handling a lot of the offensive duties?

argolio
02-11-2012, 03:03 PM
This should be renamed the panic thread.

ArgoRavi
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
[1] There may be new blood in the receiving corps from FA camps, but who says any of them will amount to anything?

The Argos could sign Andy Fantuz and Greg Carr and they could both be busts as well. We will only know once we get into the season whose off-season recruits have panned out or not. I have confidence that with Chris Jones, who has a good reputation for evaluating personnel and not only on defence, and ten free agent camps so far having been run in the U.S. that the Argos will find some excellent competition for the receiving spots for training camp. We still have a good bit of the off-season left, including a mini-camp in April, so there is still lots of time to find those diamonds in the rough and it certainly sounds like they are looking for them.

RoRoYoBoat
02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
No GM is going to tip his hand as to what his plans are for free agency. He hasn't released half his starters for nothing. Just follow the money...

1argoholic
02-12-2012, 12:53 AM
He says that he isn't into signing other teams free agents. We have had zero transactions since the cutting of Lin J Shell almost a month ago. Why not panic? We were CRAP last year.

KCargosfan
02-12-2012, 01:10 AM
He says that he isn't into signing other teams free agents. We have had zero transactions since the cutting of Lin J Shell almost a month ago. Why not panic? We were CRAP last year.

If you were planning to make some moves why would you tell the media? Speak softly and carry a big stick.

True. As should the one that gets started in June when one of our stars doesn't have an incredible performance in a meaningless preseason game and people on here start wondering whether he should be cut.

bluto
02-12-2012, 01:42 PM

you say that in jest, fair enough... but with 3 days until the FA deadline and i have no clue (due to our lazy local sports departments who don't get stories for us) what is happening with our team and its players... i have to admit i'm beginning to feel some anxiety about our roster.

AngeloV
02-12-2012, 02:26 PM
you say that in jest, fair enough... but with 3 days until the FA deadline and i have no clue (due to our lazy local sports departments who don't get stories for us) what is happening with our team and its players... i have to admit i'm beginning to feel some anxiety about our roster.

I really feel no anxiety at all. With the complete overhaul of the coaching staff, and especially philosophical differences on defence, I expected to see a huge roster turnover from last season. I believe you may see the Argos go heavy after Fantuz next week, and as such, will need to go with a lot of cheaper, hungrier and younger players (as far as inports go) to fill a lot of the roster. May mean some growing pains to start the season, but as long as the offence can put up some points, it should work out well.

ArgoRavi
02-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I really feel no anxiety at all. With the complete overhaul of the coaching staff, and especially philosophical differences on defence, I expected to see a huge roster turnover from last season. I believe you may see the Argos go heavy after Fantuz next week, and as such, will need to go with a lot of cheaper, hungrier and younger players (as far as inports go) to fill a lot of the roster. May mean some growing pains to start the season, but as long as the offence can put up some points, it should work out well.

I feel exactly the same as you, Angelo. After going 6-12 last year, we had to expect a significant number of changes and we will get it. It is unfortunate that some fan favourites won't be re-signed but that is the nature of the business. As I have said before, the success or lack thereof over the course of a season will be determined by off-season recruiting as much as anything. There will likely be several players on the Argo roster to start the season that few of us will be familiar with but eventually they will become household names as happened with the departing veterans.

bluto
02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
fair enough. and i expect changes too, but not having a guy like Picard or Pottinger signed doesn't make you wonder how/where we could get like replacements?

ArgoRavi
02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
fair enough. and i expect changes too, but not having a guy like Picard or Pottinger signed doesn't make you wonder how/where we could get like replacements?

Gagne-Marcoux's natural position is centre and Jonathan St-Pierre is a centre as well so either of them could replace Picard. As far as Pottinger's spot goes, does he fit into the new system being implemented? There are also ratio considerations with his spot. Coming off major knee surgery, I can't see a strong market for Pottinger so if the Argos want him back, I am optimistic that it can be done.

Nob
02-12-2012, 09:57 PM
The only problem that I foresee doesn't deal with the talent that is unsigned and heading into free-agency, but the fact that we are looking at saying goodbye to some non-import starters (Pottinger, Eiben, Robertson, and Picard). The Canadian content is a little weak.

If Barker is able to sign Fantuz then all could be forgiven, but I don't see that happening.

Another year of Watt starting will be maddening for me.

KCargosfan
02-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Am I the only one who wants LaBatte? Let's go after this guy hard.

I know we have Ray's $400K salary, but with Copeland's retirement and the likelihood we won't bring back Murphy, Parker and some others, we should have a fair amount of $ to throw around.

AngeloV
02-12-2012, 11:19 PM

So you've given up on a 22 year old that is as fast as any receiver in the league? I still believe that Watt will be a huge contributor in the not so distant future. Hopefully he isn't given up on too soon.

Nob
02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
I like his speed. Hate his dropped passes. Also wish he was bigger (but then again I wish that i was lighter......but I digress...).

My first choice for Canadian receiver is Fantuz. He is the best Canadian receiver out there, and he will be available this week. Not only is he the best Canadian receiver, he is simply one of the best receivers on the CFL, regardless of passport.

Watt is a good prospect, but that is exactly what he is - a prospect. He shouldn't be a starter. I don't consider him to be in the top 10 of Canadian receivers. I would prefer to see more of Bradwell than Watt.

I am also anxious to see what Duome can do, and the kid from Laval looks like a keeper.

With those kids, and Durie, we are alright. Not great, not good, but alright. Add Fantuz and we get a whole lot better. Sadly I don't see it happening though.

ArgoRavi
02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Don't forget, Nob, that Fantuz had problems with drops early in his career too.

Nob
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't recall Fantuz's drops, but I won't dispel it either.

I've watched Fantuz play since he was an Essex Raven in the OVFL (I was on another sideline coaching against Essex). You could telltale kid was going to be good, but I never thought that he would be tis good.

I think that Fantuz offers more than Watt does. Size, experience, and I like the fact that Andy can play inside. I think that you need to have good inside receivers I this league. Ultimately this is where the Argos are failing.

If you look at the league, in general, the passing game is built inside then out. Most (not all,there are exceptions) great wide outs benefit from a great slot receiver, or two.

All in all I think that the Argos' receiving corps needs a massive upgrade. In saying that it is tough to upgrade the receiving corps by bringing in all rookies. That is why I would like to see Fantuz in double blue. You can add him, with Durie, have your two Canadian starters, and then bring in some upgrades for the other receivers.

And yeah, I know that our receivers are unproven because of poor QB play, play calling, etc., for the last two years, but they don't look like they scare anyone.

1argoholic
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Being fast doesn't mean you'll be a quality receiver. The Argos have brought in a few sprinters over the years that failed. Didn't they give Ben Johnson a try? I realize that Watt is an actual football player. With the proper coaching and qb we are sure to improve.

Skinny G
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM

Watt has skill... but he is not ready to be our prime time receiver yet. He will be challenged this camp. I hope they give Bradwell a better opportunity to start, because he was a pretty solid receiver for us. He seemed to be a decent possession guy, with some ok speed. I believe his route running was one of the better ones. Also, with Feoli-Gudino coming into camp... I think he could make some noise with the way he played in the Vanier Cup.

As for others, I don't want to lose too many vets, especially non-imports. Also, still waiting for them to sign Parker.... I really don't want to see him go!

R.J
02-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Some Argo News for the day, it is being reported that the Argos are interested in bringing in Jarious Jackson to Back-up Mr. Ray.

byronparker28
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM
HEY HEY beautiful people....Hope everyone is enjoying the offseason. I for one am excited about the things to come in the next couple of days.:D IF, IF, things don't work out and I'm no longer part of the Double Blue, I thank each and everyone of you for your support throughout my career. I have enjoyed being part of the Argonaut organization, but more importantly, I've enjoyed being around and interacting with the fans. You will never know how much each and everyone of you have helped me grow as a player, both on and off the field. We all know the nature of the business and things don't always go the way we want. As I have been told and have experienced......Football is a GREAT/FUN game, but a SH!*TY business. Once again, thank you all and hopefully I'll see you all soon.

bluto
02-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks for checking in Byron. Wish you all the best and of course am hoping to see you in Double Blue.

paulwoods13
02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Some Argo News for the day, it is being reported that the Argos are interested in bringing in Jarious Jackson to Back-up Mr. Ray.

Source of this report?

Skinny G
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
HEY HEY beautiful people....Hope everyone is enjoying the offseason. I for one am excited about the things to come in the next couple of days.:D IF, IF, things don't work out and I'm no longer part of the Double Blue, I thank each and everyone of you for your support throughout my career. I have enjoyed being part of the Argonaut organization, but more importantly, I've enjoyed being around and interacting with the fans. You will never know how much each and everyone of you have helped me grow as a player, both on and off the field. We all know the nature of the business and things don't always go the way we want. As I have been told and have experienced......Football is a GREAT/FUN game, but a SH!*TY business. Once again, thank you all and hopefully I'll see you all soon.

Hey Byron.... we're all excited for the off season... and I think almost all of us are hoping your back in Double Blue next year! I know me personally would love to see you finish your career here in TO. I think you still have a few more INTs to return for TDs for us! Hoping the teams sees the value of your veteran presence in the secondary! Good luck Byron and hoping for some good news about you in the next couple of days!

1argoholic
02-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Oh man I hope your back where you belong in double Blue. Footballs only a sh!ty business if you end up in Hamilton. haha.

paulwoods13
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
So there is no source identified, just an unsourced radio report attributed to no one. I hope it's true as I think JJ is an excellent backup and a guy who is content to play that role, but I can't put a lot of stock in such a flimsy report.

ArgoRavi
02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Oh man I hope your back where you belong in double Blue. Footballs only a sh!ty business if you end up in Hamilton. haha.

You would have to figure that Hamilton would be one of the interested teams in Parker as they appear to need some help in their secondary (although they did have a lot of injuries last season).

Byron, I hope that you come back to the Argos and get a chance to win a Grey Cup with Toronto. This team will contend in 2012 and I hope that you are part of it but I think that all fans understand that you have to look out for yourself as well in this business.

KCargosfan
02-13-2012, 07:33 PM

Thanks for all you've done BP and for being a class act. Thanks for also putting up with some of the "fans" on here.

I hope we re-sign you, but if we don't, good luck in BC.

Midnight Blue
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Thank you, Mr. Byron Parker ... for everything....

Every Argo backfield needs a Klingon ... and YOU, are the one!

This team wouldn't be the same, without you.

We need to win the 100th Grey Cup ... for the sake of History ...

For the sake of Tradition ...

And for Honour, and Glory, and Pride !

Your style and determination, is the core of this team.

I cannot imagine, a 100th Grey Cup Victory, without you, Sir.

Ka' Pla !

Will
02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
An interesting tweet.

I don't know if it's interesting. The Argos already got into trouble on the Jones thing, and I bet Barker doesn't want it to happen again so he's being extra careful.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8