PDA

View Full Version : August 8, 2013: Toronto Argonauts vs. Montreal Alouettes

T-Bone
08-01-2013, 08:37 AM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/mtl.png

Week 7
Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 7:30pm EDT.
Percival Molson Memorial Stadium. Montreal, QC.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508) - RDS (http://www.rds.ca/football/lcf)
Video Webcast: Mobile TV (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/) - ESPN3 (http://cfl.ca/page/us-broadcast-schedule)
Team Radio TOR: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/feature/?fid=43622) - MTL: CJAD 800 (http://www.cjad.com/Sports/Alouettes/)
Audio Webcast: TOR: Here (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/) - MTL: Here (http://www.cjad.com/player.aspx)
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM (http://www.siriusxm.ca/sports-schedules/cfl/)

Depth Charts: TOR: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2013) - MTL: Here (http://en.montrealalouettes.com/depthchart/charts/team/9)

Away Game Viewing:

Post Game: Argos Annihilate Als, Take Control of Eastern Division (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/recap-boatmen-annihilate-alouettes-at-mcgill)

Will
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
T-Bone and I are off to Montreal for our yearly trip to watch the Argos play. This game just became a whole lot more interesting with Jim Popp taking over head coaching duties from Dan Hawkins. The win over British Columbia has me feeling quite confident, but a trip to Molson Stadium is never easy.

294life
08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Als fans might be cheering with you in order to get Miller out and Popp's fan-o-meter isn't exactly on high either.

Stevoman
08-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Wow, Hawkins was fired fast, quite ridiculously fast. I know that when Stubler was fired the Argos didn't win another game and I hope that happens to the Al's too. I'm sure this was because Calvillo balked at the changes he was being forced to make and was not happy. The Al's might be a looser and therefore more dangerous opponent on the 8th but I really want their struggles to continue.

mchesher03
08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I was hoping before the season for a hamilton - toronto east final but somehow montreal will still manage to stick around most likely.

Always a tough game but I think the Argos should win it just the same - in spite of our struggles in Montreal over the last few years

294life
08-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Wow, Hawkins was fired fast, quite ridiculously fast. I know that when Stubler was fired the Argos didn't win another game and I hope that happens to the Al's too. I'm sure this was because Calvillo balked at the changes he was being forced to make and was not happy. The Al's might be a looser and therefore more dangerous opponent on the 8th but I really want their struggles to continue.

Could go either way. The argos firing Stubler was a panic move as is this one. The one thing about having your GM as your head coach is that it keeps players on their toes.

294life
08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Whitaker is out for next week. Looks we'll be seeing Lumbala unless Messam is ready to return. Now with the Berry offence about to be implemented Jones may have to forget about watching tapes of the als' last few games and anticipate what he already knows about AC+ Berry, his 2 former mates.

ArgoFan1
08-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I am off to Montreal as well !!! Got my tain tickets and game ticket today !!! Last year was my first at Molson Stadium and I hope to do that trip every year. Argos won when I was there last year, so I have to keep going now. Unfortuantely will not be able to go for their September game there. Hopefully we don't have to go there for a playoff game. Would be great to have just the one playoff game and have it at home !!

ArgoZ
08-03-2013, 05:11 PM
A coach firing seems to always produce a good effort for the following game. With a recharged effort, I predict a close Als win. Ricky Ray will not start and we learn it's the same injury as last year.

argos1873
08-03-2013, 05:26 PM
A coach firing seems to always produce a good effort for the following game. With a recharged effort, I predict a close Als win. Ricky Ray will not start and we learn it's the same injury as last year.

I'm also predicting a ZC start in Montreal. I think RR would've started in Montreal if ZC didn't play so well against BC. Not entirely certain how serious the RR injury is, but I don't think its that serious, and if ZC didn't play well, RR would be starting. No sense in pushing Ray at this point.

Ron
08-04-2013, 01:10 AM
As for the firing I think it played out this way.

Popp struck gold by hiring Trestman. But I am sure he had the "The CFL is different" conversation with him. Trestman says the right things and goes out and learns the CFL game and becomes a master at it.

This new dude said the right things and got hired. But he didn't learn the "CFL way" and it cost them. I recall recently a comment he made saying that he brought his highly successful system with him and expected it to be a success up here. That's the recipe for quick failure in the CFL.

One thing Popp gets credit for is that he doesn't waste time with a losing proposition.

ArgoGabe22
08-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Ray will play if he is medically cleared. Watt is most likely ruled out as per Milanovich.

ArgoRavi
08-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Ray will play if he is medically cleared. Watt is most likely ruled out as per Milanovich.

What happened to Watt? I don't remember him getting hurt during the B.C. game.

ArgoRedneck
08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
If you "play" the stats a team that has a new coach after a coach is let go usually wins. Like to know who is the favorite this week by the bookies. Any predictions? I say the Als +2.5 .

1argoholic
08-04-2013, 07:07 PM
I think we're a better team and we win on our last night on Vancouver Island.

Wobbler
08-05-2013, 03:12 PM
What happened to Watt? I don't remember him getting hurt during the B.C. game.
Seems as though there are a number of injured players we haven't heard enough about. Apparently Inman *still* isn't ready to go, despite allegedly being a game-day decision against BC. No one knows what happened to Watt, and some clarity on Washington and Reinders would be very welcome.

According to Scianitti, Jonathan Williams is also questionable this week, and Alonzo Lawrence has been practicing at DB in place of Gatlin.

294life
08-05-2013, 03:49 PM
As for the firing I think it played out this way.

Popp struck gold by hiring Trestman. But I am sure he had the "The CFL is different" conversation with him. Trestman says the right things and goes out and learns the CFL game and becomes a master at it.

This new dude said the right things and got hired. But he didn't learn the "CFL way" and it cost them. I recall recently a comment he made saying that he brought his highly successful system with him and expected it to be a success up here. That's the recipe for quick failure in the CFL.

One thing Popp gets credit for is that he doesn't waste time with a losing proposition.

again it was the owner not Popp who got fed up. Popp wanted Hawkins to go from nobody to somebody like he did with trestman and had Bob not interfered he probably would have stuck with him figuring that sooner or later he was going to get through his thick head. Panic move if I've ever seen one. Jim is the one on the hot seat now.

ArgoGabe22
08-05-2013, 04:31 PM
The Als have just lost Jamel Richardson for the season with torn ACL & LCL. Huge loss but the Als always have a receiver deep in its pipeline waiting for their chance.

Wobbler
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Sad news about Richardson. I think SJ Green can expect to see a *lot* of Pat Watkins on Thursday.

294life
08-05-2013, 05:32 PM
To be honest Richardson hadn't really been doing much. Time for other guys to step up.

Will
08-07-2013, 10:34 AM
This is our depth chart. (http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/pdf/en/depth/2013/2013_RegSeasonGame6vsMTLAug8083956.pdf)

Mike Bradwell will start for Spencer Watt, but we don't even know what happened to Watt. I know there's nothing we can really do, but I'm not too happy about this as I thought Watt has been all right this year. Alonzo Lawrence starts at right corner it looks like over Gatlin who is back on the PR.

Wobbler
08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
This is our depth chart. (http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/pdf/en/depth/2013/2013_RegSeasonGame6vsMTLAug8083956.pdf)

Mike Bradwell will start for Spencer Watt, but we don't even know what happened to Watt. I know there's nothing we can really do, but I'm not too happy about this as I thought Watt has been all right this year. Alonzo Lawrence starts at right corner it looks like over Gatlin who is back on the PR.
And four days after being signed, Auston English comes off the PR to start at DE in place of Williams.

Will
08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Was Williams hurt as well or did English show enough in practice to get the nod?

Wobbler
08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Scianitti tweeted that Williams had a stinger.

294life
08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
It'll be interesting to see how AC fares with the 'new regime'. If the als lay another egg there will be quite the brouhaha.

AngeloV
08-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Watt had some sort of leg injury last game. I noticed that Bradwell played a lot in his place in the 4th quarter.

doubleblue
08-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Watt had some sort of leg injury last game. I noticed that Bradwell played a lot in his place in the 4th quarter. I remember one of Watt's catches he took quite a lick. He got up and kept playing, but that may have been something that flared up as the game went on. Bradwell is an experienced receiver and generally makes a few key catches per game once the defenses start concentrating on the Owens, Durie and Barnes.

294life
08-08-2013, 10:14 AM
should be at least 23,000 in the house. gonna be loud.

Bleeds Double Blue
08-08-2013, 04:35 PM

A little eye candy prior to the game courtesy of Bleeds Double Blue. You're welcome.

GAME ON!

ArgoGabe22
08-08-2013, 07:28 PM
David Lee is scratched. So who starts in his place? Where will another CDN start?

argos1873
08-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Well that was quick!

Mulder
08-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Well that was quick!

And another!

Mulder
08-08-2013, 08:04 PM
And another!

And that's why we pay Owens the big bucks.

Wobbler
08-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Wow. I started watching just in time to see Owens' missed FG return. Why are we running away with this one? Have we been that good, or is Montreal making it easy?

argos1873
08-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Wow. I started watching just in time to see Owens' missed FG return. Why are we running away with this one? Have we been that good, or is Montreal making it easy?

3 or 4 Al fumbles has made it fairly easy for us.

Mulder
08-08-2013, 08:29 PM

ALS fumble on the opening kickoff. We recovered. Scored 2 plays later.

Wobbler
08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, Montreal doesn't look like a confident team.

I love that even before Ray was dinged a bit, we put Collaros in for a second and two play.

Mulder
08-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Bradwell with a nice catch. First down! Ad now to Barnes. Wow. When was the last time this team was this dominating

294life
08-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Smells like east final at Rogers nov 17

Stevoman
08-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Chiles is the new Inman! Let Ray play a bit of the 3rd and then hand the ball to Collaros and Harris for the rest.

tennyis
08-08-2013, 08:51 PM
looks like they might have rushed Ray back :(

Wobbler
08-08-2013, 08:52 PM
I really like the way Steele spins off tackles. He is not an easy man to bring down.

Wobbler
08-08-2013, 08:57 PM
I was going to ask why we were trying a 43y FG with 50 seconds left in the half, but I would have been wrong. Apparently Pre can still make those, which is good news!

ArgoGabe22
08-08-2013, 09:01 PM
I was expecting a great offensive performance but not a 31-3 lead at halftime.

Wobbler
08-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Indeed, Dunnigan. Why would we play Ray at this point? He might want to pad his stats, but from a team perspective there is no reason to risk his health even if he is perfectly healthy. Go ZC!

argos1873
08-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Indeed, Dunnigan. Why would we play Ray at this point? He might want to pad his stats, but from a team perspective there is no reason to risk his health even if he is perfectly healthy. Go ZC!

I almost thought before the Argo announcement that Ray would start, that Ray would dress but not start. I figured Montreal would be reeling, although not this bad, and they could give Ray another week of rest, unless things went south. But hey, whatever works.

AaronInToronto
08-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Watkins looking really good. So is Chiles. Nice to see some future talent hitting it big right now

Wobbler
08-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I'd like to see Harris start the next possession. This game is well in hand.

AaronInToronto
08-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Would be good to get Harris some reps as well. I agree. Looks like Collaros might run this game out though.

Deerkeeper
08-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I'd like to see Harris start the next possession. This game is well in hand.I don't think it's that well in hand.

Deerkeeper
08-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Strange move for the Als to go for a field goal there.

argos1873
08-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Alright, who replaced Noel Devine's stick-um with Vaseline?

argolio
08-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Great effort all-around, with the defense and special teams leading the way.

I'm not sure if the Als have as much talent as they used to, but their team psyche is definitely not what it used to be. They looked confused even after a good play.

Argo57
08-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Good all around effort, defence is looking better week by week.
Montreal has a tough schedule coming up, hopefully the Riders continue to roll (next week anyway) and lay a beating on the Alouettes.
Way to go Argonauts!!!!!!

argotom
08-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Great win tonight, by and large gift wrapped by the Als with what 7 giveaways. As for the Als, their problems run deeper then a head coach position.
AC looks like he has hit the wall this season.
They better have the back ups get some reps as this team may be without a first stringer next year.

Argo57
08-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Great win tonight, by and large gift wrapped by the Als with what 7 giveaways. As for the Als, their problems run deeper then a head coach position.
AC looks like he has hit the wall this season.
They better have the back ups get some reps as this team may be without a first stringer next year.

Calvillo probably regrets not retiring after last season!!

flafson
08-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Mesam looked scary, half the time our guys went down when they tried to tackle him.

Argocister
08-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Great win for the Argos ..... Of course we will see a different team from Montreal in Sept for the back to back series. Ricky looked as if he was putting on a clinic ..... The lines were playing well...... Specials came up big ..... Collaros became human, amazing what a good week of practice and getting the main reps can do .
Hopefully Ricky is still good to go for next week. and if not then let Collaros get the reps.
At one point Robinson was down.... Was he still okay at the end of the game? I wasn't paying attention.
I'm glad Pre is getting some of his old form back.

I'll wait and see what happens in the next few games for Montreal. If they don't look like they are improving, then I say Popp blows the team up .... Including AC ..... And they bring in a new HC . (As in not promoting anyone they have now)

Sooooo true !
:D

294life
08-09-2013, 12:21 AM

thought i saw T-Bone fiddling in the dressing room before game time.

Wobbler
08-09-2013, 12:23 AM
This remarkable team deserves a better host city.

Rich
08-09-2013, 12:45 AM
I thought I was having an acid flashback seeing Leon McQuay #24 laying out Devine and recovering the fumble. Similar build to Alonzo Lawrence. What a debut for the guy. Man this defence was hitting hard tonight.

I read on the website that this is the first regular season 3-game winning streak since 2007. Amazing. But it's a winning streak that really should go a lot longer than three.

flafson
08-09-2013, 02:04 AM
As much as i love winning every week, it's about how you finish the season and not how you start. As long as we are able to finish strong, i could care less about the results in the middle (as long as it's watchable)

paulwoods13
08-09-2013, 04:22 AM
Didn't see it, but just saw the extended highlights on TSN.ca. All I can say is I sure hope we let Ottawa have Ricky Ray next season. Obviously I'm being facetious, and I know there is more involved in the decision than how he performs mid-season against a disorganized and dispirited bunch of Alouettes. But the guy is playing better than he ever has in what was already a Hall of Fame career. Last four quarters he has played: 34/38 (89%) for 436 yards and five TDs. Last seven quarters he has played: 61/75 (81%) for 770 yards and seven TDs. Averaging better than 10 yards a pass. Thirteen TDs and no interceptions in five games played. Collaros is gonna have to be out of this world to justify being protected over RR, IMO.

294life
08-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Strange move for the Als to go for a field goal there.

the crowd booed in agreement.

Will
08-09-2013, 11:19 AM
I do not think that I have ever seen the Alouettes play as poorly as I did last night and certainly not at Molson. How many times have the Argonauts gone in there and played that badly? Plenty of times and certainly my last two visits there prior to last night. It does not need saying that Noel Devine did not have the best game yesterday. You cannot turn the ball over to the Argos the way the offense is clicking right now. I think that John Chiles may still be open in the endzone. I did not remember Ray getting hurt except for T-Bone turning to me and saying that he was limping. Collaros did not play all that well although it was not as if he had to shoot out the lights. To me he looked like he did in the first quarter against BC before he found his rhythm.

Defensively we were solid except for one brain fart from Robinson on a Brandon London touchdown. I do not think we got tremendous pressure on Calvillo but he is not throwing the ball accurately anymore. Messam had a good game for the Alouettes but they only started to utilize him in the third-fourth quarter when the game was out of hand.

Special teams were also very good. No significant returns allowed and several fumbles recovered. Prefontaine was fine as well and of course Chad Owens with the big missed FG TD. He also had the punt return TD that was called back.

All in all a great effort.

AngeloV
08-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Combination of strong Argos performance and very poor, disorganized Als team.

Ricky Ray was magnificent as he has been all season. His reads are so good it's scary. John Chiles has looked very good too. I'm guessing when Inman is back it will be Iglesius that sits. Makes for quite a rotation between Chiles, Inman and Barnes, with 2 of the 3 on the field. Great debut for Alonzo Lawrence. As Rich said, I believe it was the hardest hitting game by an Argo D in quite some time with Lawrence and Matt Black leading the way in the secondary.

Anyone remember the complaints of the Argos d after the Saskatchewan game? Well, if Calgary gives up 10 points tonight, the Argos will be second in the league to the Greenies in fewest points allowed. Quite the turnaround. Chris Jones has done a great job. What I have noticed specifically is that they seem to be mixing in a lot more zone looks and making it a difficult read for the QB.

As for Montreal, I kind of have to agree with AT, I think AC is done. He just looks as if the hits are hurting him a lot more this year. Foolish move by Popp not pulling him last night and getting a better look at what he has after AC.

ArgoRedneck
08-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Pumped for Sept. 3rd.

gilthethrill
08-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I was happy that golf did not drag on & take away the 1st quarter of a CFL game like it has been known to do. Very interesting game. I had a feeling going in either the Argos would wake up a Sleeping Giant or else it would be a blowout. It was the latter. Love the killer instinct the O showed with the early turnovers. Ricky Ray now has 9 days to rest up after the late hit from Kuale. Was not sure about demoting Gatlin, but this Lawrence kid was dynamite, Shane Horton also continues to impress as does rookie sensation Cleyon Laing, who recorded a sack while being held. Who started the thread stating the Argo D was Swiss Cheese????????? As Matt Dunigan stated over & over again last night.."Montreal is Disconbobulated"....

Stevoman
08-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Great game by Lawrence and I agree, Horton has also really played well. I was very critical of Jones after the release of Isaac but 2 games in and it looks like he knew what he was doing.

argonaut11xx
08-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Who started the thread stating the Argo D was Swiss Cheese?????????

guilty as charged...

But i really dont think the Al's gave them much of a test, Calvillo looks alot like Condredge Holloway did when he played his final year in BC...looking more to avoid the hit , rather than make the play.

Will
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Then how do you evaluate the defense` performance against British Columbia?

argonaut11xx
08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Then how do you evaluate the defense` performance against British Columbia?

improving...

gilthethrill
08-09-2013, 02:00 PM
guilty as charged...

But i really dont think the Al's gave them much of a test, Calvillo looks alot like Condredge Holloway did when he played his final year in BC...looking more to avoid the hit , rather than make the play. You are a good man for stepping up & admitting it!! :)

argolio
08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
As Matt Dunigan stated over & over again last night.."Montreal is Disconbobulated"....Interesting that Matt suggested the Argos believe the Ticats are (or will be) a bigger threat this season in the East than the Als. He goes to a lot of Argo practices, so maybe he does the same with the Ticats and sees potential there.

flafson
08-09-2013, 04:55 PM
I really like this forum and people around here but... i find it odd that Riders forum has a 10 pages long thread about our game last night while ours is only 4 pages long.

ArgoGabe22
08-09-2013, 05:05 PM
I really like this forum and people around here but... i find it odd that Riders forum has a 10 pages long thread about our game last night while ours is only 4 pages long.

Agreed. They do have more members but then again here some silly thread gets like 20+ pages of just nonsense (Ex. FOA Cornroast, started out as a perfectly normal thread which then turned kind of sideways) while football threads get barely noticed.

Argocister
08-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Which riders forum is that?
Is it the Riderville forum under the Argonauts or the Alouettes ? which is the CFL forum. The 10 pages you see under the Alouettes section is the CFL forum and it is basically the Als fans and other CFL fans that frequent that site.
I can't imagine the Rider fans showing 10 pages worth of interest in any colour but green.

flafson
08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Riderfans.com, it's in their main discussion at argos - als.
You guys are right though, they have ALOT more members than we have, i wonder why though, our forum over here is pretty good IMO.

Wobbler
08-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Well, if Calgary gives up 10 points tonight, the Argos will be second in the league to the Greenies in fewest points allowed. Quite the turnaround. Chris Jones has done a great job. What I have noticed specifically is that they seem to be mixing in a lot more zone looks and making it a difficult read for the QB.
I was impressed by how different - but equally successful - our scheme against Montreal was compared to what we ran against BC. Last night we hardly blitzed at all, and the week before it was lots and lots of pressure. Gotta like versatility!

ArgoRavi
08-09-2013, 09:29 PM
the crowd booed in agreement.

I loved the reaction of Montreal fans after the Whyte FG at the end of the first half. That was hilarious!

Argo57
08-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Horton, Lawrence and Matt Black look great on defence, easy to see why the organization signed Chiles immediately at the evaluation camp, I was critical of the organization after the Saskatchewan game but I am gladly eating my words after the last couple of games!!

ArgoGabe22
08-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Maybe because I really only follow the Argos on a day to day basis but does any other team have so many changes to the starting lineup week in week out excluding injuries? I liked seeing Lawrence start and surprised to see Lee being scratched but assuming it sends a message and keeps players on their toes, I like it.

argotom
08-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Didn't see it, but just saw the extended highlights on TSN.ca. All I can say is I sure hope we let Ottawa have Ricky Ray next season. Obviously I'm being facetious, and I know there is more involved in the decision than how he performs mid-season against a disorganized and dispirited bunch of Alouettes. But the guy is playing better than he ever has in what was already a Hall of Fame career. Last four quarters he has played: 34/38 (89%) for 436 yards and five TDs. Last seven quarters he has played: 61/75 (81%) for 770 yards and seven TDs. Averaging better than 10 yards a pass. Thirteen TDs and no interceptions in five games played. Collaros is gonna have to be out of this world to justify being protected over RR, IMO.Of course, you kid and after yesterdays performance Zach has come down quite a bit from his unbelievable performance the week before. However I still do not like the decision the Argos will be faced with at season end. Ricky some 10 years older and for once we have a QB developed by the team and who could be the future for many years.

doubleblue
08-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Zach did look more rookieish last night. Wasn't as sure of himself as he didn't seem to have a script to follow. Getting the game plan reps are important. Chris Jones has to be the best recruiter in the CFL right now IMO. Coming up with these young players every year like Horton, Robinson, Lawrence, Childs, Jackson, King, Rogers, Tripp, Steele and others. Did the same thing in Calgary and I always thought it was Jim Barker. lol Seeing #27 Horton sure reminds me of the great former Argo Marv Luster out of UCLA, who wore the same number.

argolio
08-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Of course, you kid and after yesterdays performance Zach has come down quite a bit from his unbelievable performance the week before. However I still do not like the decision the Argos will be faced with at season end. Ricky some 10 years older and for once we have a QB developed by the team and who could be the future for many years.You screamed the loudest to acquire an all-star QB, we got one, he won a Grey Cup, he came into camp in the best shape of his career, and he's now playing as well as he ever has. What else does he have to do?

If the Argos really want to keep Collaros, they'll find a way.

Argocister
08-10-2013, 09:12 AM
If the Argos really want to keep Collaros, they'll find a way.

This is so true..... If they want him, Barker will find a way.

Will
08-10-2013, 09:31 AM
I really am shocked this debate over QB's hasn't been put to bed.

294life
08-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I loved the reaction of Montreal fans after the Whyte FG at the end of the first half. That was hilarious!

To be frank I have never been so pleased to see the als get smoked like this. Bob did Dan a real favor by firing him when he did. He must be laughing his head off.

Wobbler
08-10-2013, 10:54 AM
What debate? It looks like a pretty harmless discussion to me. Given how quiet the forum is, I think these sorts of conversations should be encouraged.

ArgoGabe22
08-10-2013, 11:09 AM

I think everyone is just thinking in the long term future of this team. For the record I want Ray for as long as possible, I think it's proven Milanovich can help improve his already HOF career with the offence we have. Fans are just getting excited with the prospect of developing our own QB. I like Collaros but who knows if he's willing to wait around and who knows if he'll be the star we all think he will turn into. McPherson, Zabransky, Printers, Pierce, Reilly (a bit early to tell) were all supposed to be the next great thing but looked how they have turned out.

ArgoZ
08-10-2013, 01:32 PM
I think everyone is just thinking in the long term future of this team. For the record I want Ray for as long as possible, I think it's proven Milanovich can help improve his already HOF career with the offence we have. Fans are just getting excited with the prospect of developing our own QB. I like Collaros but who knows if he's willing to wait around and who knows if he'll be the star we all think he will turn into. McPherson, Zabransky, Printers, Pierce, Reilly (a bit early to tell) were all supposed to be the next great thing but looked how they have turned out.

Printers was a star, but the NFL ruined him. There is so many end of season factors that will come into play with our QB situation. For now, Ray is the QB and I am happy that we have a capable backup (who needs to learn when to slide).

argolio
08-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I think everyone is just thinking in the long term future of this team.The long-term future on the field is 3-5 years. Beyond that you can't count on anything because of how much rosters turn over.

If the Argos think Ray can be a productive player for at least the next three years (and who doesn't think that?), then it's a no-brainer -- protect Ray.

AngeloV
08-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Printers was a star, but the NFL ruined him. There is so many end of season factors that will come into play with our QB situation. For now, Ray is the QB and I am happy that we have a capable backup (who needs to learn when to slide).

No offense, but I think you're drinking the CP kool aid. His attitude is what ruined him. Never accepting blame for anything he did wrong.

hugoagogo
08-10-2013, 02:34 PM
No offense, but I think you're drinking the CP kool aid. His attitude is what ruined him. Never accepting blame for anything he did wrong.

Yup! Casey had a lot of talent, but was a very selfish individual.

Question from out of town about Ray... is he still a little banged up after the last game, or is he looking okay to start next week? I think the Argos could afford to have him sit next week if needed.

ArgoZ
08-10-2013, 03:32 PM

I hear ya. Casey's problems/ego all seemed to come out when he went to the NFL. I agree that's its all his own fault. My point was, we have seen it many times when a player comes back to the CFL, a changed man for the worse. All of a sudden, egos get in the way and we hear every excuse for their underperforming play. It just seems once you lose a player to the NFL, failure waits for them when they return.

argotom
08-10-2013, 04:16 PM
The long-term future on the field is 3-5 years. Beyond that you can't count on anything because of how much rosters turn over.

If the Argos think Ray can be a productive player for at least the next three years (and who doesn't think that?), then it's a no-brainer -- protect Ray.Yes there is likely a way to protect both QB's, providing we can swing a side deal with Ottawa with the usual player(s) and or draft choices in order for them not to pick Zach.

Wobbler
08-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Question from out of town about Ray... is he still a little banged up after the last game, or is he looking okay to start next week? I think the Argos could afford to have him sit next week if needed.
Ray said he was fine after the game, and he looked fine.

flafson
08-10-2013, 07:21 PM
We should probably give Ray another day off, plus if Zach gets the reps with the A team, maybe he will give another performance like he did against BC. If he won't, Ottawa wouldn't want him anyway.

argos1873
08-10-2013, 10:50 PM
This remarkable team deserves a better host city.

Sad, but true.

argos1873
08-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Yes there is likely a way to protect both QB's, providing we can swing a side deal with Ottawa with the usual player(s) and or draft choices in order for them not to pick Zach.

I would be very pleased if a deal like this could be worked out, and I actually believe it will be. If the Argos want to keep both Ray and Collaros, they will make a deal the Arby's can't refuse.

AngeloV
08-10-2013, 11:55 PM
I would be very pleased if a deal like this could be worked out, and I actually believe it will be. If the Argos want to keep both Ray and Collaros, they will make a deal the Arby's can't refuse.

I think we are all forgetting that Collaros is a free agent in February. If he wants to play for Ottawa thinking he has a better chance to start there, he will gauge their interest and likely sign there whether the Argos want to keep him or not.

argos1873
08-11-2013, 12:39 AM
I think we are all forgetting that Collaros is a free agent in February. If he wants to play for Ottawa thinking he has a better chance to start there, he will gauge their interest and likely sign there whether the Argos want to keep him or not.

Yes but the draft is in December. So I assume if the Argos want to keep him, they re-sign him before the draft, and trade with Ottawa to avoid them selecting him. But I highly doubt they make any move on him without re-signing. But at the same time, if Ottawa selects him, they still have to sign him, which come February means he could sign with any team, which potentially means they lose out on one of their key picks. I definitely see a deal in the mix if Ottawa is interested in him, one way or the other. Of course a lot of this has to do with what Collaros will want. Starting with a weak expansion team, sticking with an established team such as the Argos, or going with another team. Does Ottawa select him if he's a free agent in February? There's no guarantee he stays in Ottawa if so. Depending on ZC's play the rest of the year (if he get's much more) this could turn into a Mexican stand-off.

Rich
08-11-2013, 12:41 AM

The only way Collaros goes to Ottawa is if they offer him starting QB money and the commitment to start.

If he's going to take good solid QB #2 money, he'd be better off taking it with the Argos, a winning team where he knows and likes the system, and where he knows Ricky's increasing fragility is going to keep giving him shots.

And on the basis of what they've seen so far, there's no way Ottawa gives Collaros starter money ahead of Tate or Glenn.

paulwoods13
08-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Good points, Rich.

Tons of things can and will happen between now and the draft. Injuries, performance, contract status, how the team does -- all will play into it. We're going to lose three players, but why worry now about who they might be? I'm more concerned with winning the 2013 Grey Cup than who we're going to lose after the season, or what deals we might make to avoid losing certain guys. I can guarantee that losing anyone off the roster will be more palatable if we are champions than if we are not.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8