PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hawkins fired

Will
08-01-2013, 08:55 AM
As per RDS en Francais (http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/hawkins-à-la-porte-1.645958)

Here is for those who weren't successful in French class (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=428903)

Argocister
08-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Crap.... And just before we get to play them. :(

294life
08-01-2013, 09:10 AM
wow. and i got it here first.

matchuk
08-01-2013, 09:49 AM
damn, did he ever look confused every single game on the sidelines

Will
08-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Popp wasn't exactly successful as Alouettes head coach in his last stint IIRC, but I believe it was also when Calvillo's wife was ill and he took some time away.

matthew
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
I called this at the press conference when he was introduced!! I was just 2 games shy of my projected termination date. Spooky!!

Will
08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
The rumor around Montreal is that Wettenhall was behind this move and not Mr. Popp.

ArgoGabe22
08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Popp wasn't exactly successful as Alouettes head coach in his last stint IIRC, but I believe it was also when Calvillo's wife was ill and he took some time away.

Went to the GC that year after firing Don Matthews.

294life
08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
The rumor around Montreal is that Wettenhall was behind this move and not Mr. Popp.

Wetenhall is behind all alouette moves. To think that they went through that lengthy interview process for this. lol.

mchesher03
08-01-2013, 11:59 AM
can't say I'm surprised - calvillo didn't appear to be a big fan either after that week 1 post-game press conference.

think the als may be entering their twilight years after a long run at the top of the east....

argonaut11xx
08-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Went to the GC that year after firing Don Matthews.

Matthews fell ill that season...i dont think he was fired....

That said, say what you want about Dan Hawkins...Kavis Reed is the worst CFL coach...YES...worse than Hawkins by a country mile

argonaut11xx
08-01-2013, 01:00 PM
listening to TSN 690 Montreal....its ALL CFL, the press conference is coming up LIVE in about 90 mins....

facinating stuff, lots of talk about the owner being behind the firing

294life
08-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Hawkins was signed to a three year contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wetenhall sell the team. It's lookin' like he's a got a few screws loose upstairs. :ohno:

1argoholic
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
WOW, He just enrolled in French lessons. haha

argonaut11xx
08-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Strange Stuff.....Ricky Ray's MOM was Dan Hawkins wife's babysitter when she was young....

Dan Hawkins recruited Ricky Ray when he was at Boise state (he went elsewhere)

AND

Travis Lulay went to school with Dan Hawkins children.....

these interesting comments (start at approx the 15 min mark)

This from his last segment of "The Hawks nest" on sunday evening (he seems bummed after the win, maybe he knew something sooner?)

http://www.cjad.com/blog/AlouettesNews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10572331

294life
08-01-2013, 02:31 PM
It was as if the 24-0 collapse did it. Unless the als won convincingly over the esks Hawkins was done. Still a bush move by Wetenhall.

argonaut11xx
08-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Doug Berry takes over the offence...Mike Miller stays on in a reduced role on offence...

gilthethrill
08-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Crap.... And just before we get to play them. :( I was thinking the same thing...but why wait a week after their last game? Why not do the deed much sooner????

ArgoRavi
08-01-2013, 03:06 PM

IIRC, the Als were 8-8 at the time that Calvillo left the team in '07. That was the last year prior to this one where Calvillo looked uncomfortable with the offence as Marcel Bellefeuille was the OC in '07. I don't think that Popp's strength is as a head coach but I guess that he (or Wetenhall) didn't feel like there was much choice at this point.

argolio
08-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Calvillo: That's it, I can't work with Hawkins anymore. He has to go!

five minutes later.....

Popp: coach, you're fired!

(of course, I'm only guessing)

294life
08-01-2013, 07:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing...but why wait a week after their last game? Why not do the deed much sooner????

since they signed him for 3 years i guess they wanted to be absolutely sure. :o

Irishargo
08-03-2013, 07:09 AM
There's no team I like seeing struggle more than Montreal and maybe they are entering their twilight years. I would probably side with the idea that Calvillo played a part in Hawkins departure. I have respect for Calvillo for what he has achieved but I don't think much of him as a sportsman and when things don't go his way i think he can throw the toys out of the pram.

He basically called out Hawkins after the bombers loss in week 2, any other player would have been reprimanded.

ArgoRavi
08-03-2013, 03:53 PM
There's no team I like seeing struggle more than Montreal and maybe they are entering their twilight years. I would probably side with the idea that Calvillo played a part in Hawkins departure. I have respect for Calvillo for what he has achieved but I don't think much of him as a sportsman and when things don't go his way i think he can throw the toys out of the pram.

He basically called out Hawkins after the bombers loss in week 2, any other player would have been reprimanded.

As I recall, the coaches - I believe Hawkins and perhaps Miller - sat Calvillo down down after that game and told him that he had to change his demeanour on the field.

OV Argo
08-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Calvillo: That's it, I can't work with Hawkins anymore. He has to go!

five minutes later.....

Popp: coach, you're fired!

(of course, I'm only guessing)

Could well be? - AC is far from a smart football type though - just IMO.

Popp was busy chasing an NFL gig last off-season; so he loses Trestman and decides that same recipe - an American football guy with zip-o Canadian ball experience, is an easy recipe for success and hires Hawkins - who has no clue and brings with him a similar coaching staff. Nice try Popp but i guess it didn't pan-out and having Bobby Wetandalll as your boss and a veteran QB whispering loudly in your ear changing your thinking there?

The Als had their time as big guns in the East for so many years; and IMO it will look good on them to be on the way out there now; Popp is not a HC and Calvillo is an aging QB who doesn't have the smarts to take it on himself to lead the offence (how many GC or play-off chokes now?). The Als have lots of good talent on their roster (as all CFL teams do) - BUT - Popp with Calvillo (and zip to take-over at QB) are not going to lift this team in anyway IMO; combine that with a mediocre to average defence and less on special teams = IMO they are going to slide big-time and be lucky to get close to being a 500 team in the future. Hawkins was a big change their and it didn't work out. The Als might be better off with wayyyyyy bigger changes - NFL wannabe Popp and Bobby Wetandall leaving town would probably help a lot more than Hawkins being punted/scape-goated.

Love to see the Argos pound the Als 40 some nothing like next time they play; I'll be very disappointed in an Argo loss or even a close game.

OV Argo
08-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Could well be? - AC is far from a smart football type though - just IMO.

Popp was busy chasing an NFL gig last off-season; so he loses Trestman and decides that same recipe - an American football guy with zip-o Canadian ball experience, is an easy recipe for success and hires Hawkins - who has no clue and brings with him a similar coaching staff. Nice try Popp but i guess it didn't pan-out and having Bobby Wetandalll as your boss and a veteran QB whispering loudly in your ear changing your thinking there?

The Als had their time as big guns in the East for so many years; and IMO it will look good on them to be on the way out there now; Popp is not a HC and Calvillo is an aging QB who doesn't have the smarts to take it on himself to lead the offence (how many GC or play-off chokes now?). The Als have lots of good talent on their roster (as all CFL teams do) - BUT - Popp with Calvillo (and zip to take-over at QB) are not going to lift this team in anyway IMO; combine that with a mediocre to average defence and less on special teams = IMO they are going to slide big-time and be lucky to get close to being a 500 team in the future. Hawkins was a big change their and it didn't work out. The Als might be better off with wayyyyyy bigger changes - NFL wannabe Popp and Bobby Wetandall leaving town would probably help a lot more than Hawkins being punted/scape-goated.

Love to see the Argos pound the Als 40 some nothing like next time they play; I'll be very disappointed in an Argo loss or even a close game.

Well - a suitable beat-down anyhow.

Popp is a moron thinking he can be a HC (and he's slipped big-time as a GM too IMO); Calvillo is old and over the hill and stupid; the Als have some good talent on their roster but are weak in some areas and clueless in the coaching/ strategey departments - looking great on them IMO; LOVE to see them finish in last place and out of the play-offs; maybe Bobby Wet&all will sell the team and the Als can get a fresh start.

Argo57
08-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Alouettes look lost, looks good on Popp and the rest of that organization, long may it continue.

294life
08-09-2013, 12:18 AM
still a decent crowd. can toronto expect as many next sunday to congratulate their boys?

Argocister
08-09-2013, 12:24 AM
still a decent crowd. can toronto expect as many next sunday to congratulate their boys?

How many attended? Sounded good on TSN.

294life
08-09-2013, 10:01 AM
How many attended? Sounded good on TSN.

22,068. Surprisingly our lowest crowd this year. I'd have expected more after a win and a first place showdown. Montreal didn't deserve to win.

In that small stadium anything over 20,000 still sounds good so you can imagine what a new argo stadium would be like.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8