PDA

View Full Version : F.O.A Cornboil

AaronInToronto
08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Why are we just finding out about this date now???? Lori and team, you need to get better at communicating this stuff. Doubtful I can make it with my family on such short notice.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 (http://www.argofans.com/events/calendar/2013/August/10)

1:00pm until 6:00pm

<tbody>

11363 Bathurst St., Richmond Hill

</tbody>

<tbody>
https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/yT/r/K6_TY47YS3x.png

NOTE: THIS EVENT IS HOSTED BY THE FRIENDS OF THE ARGONAUTS FAN CLUB

Toronto Argonaut players from today and yesterday!

•Live Entertainment
•Silent Auction
•Raffle
·BBQ courtesy of Marc Angelo’s

•Player Interviews by Media Personality Don Landry

Silent Auction proceeds to:

The Argos Foundation and Michael “Pinball” Clemons Foundation

Only $15.00 Admission

Children under 12-Free

Please bring your own lawn chair

</tbody>

gilthethrill
08-06-2013, 03:02 PM
I still am waiting for Fan Day.

ArgoGabe22
08-06-2013, 03:25 PM
I still am waiting for Fan Day.

Quite disappointing isn't it? You would think they would have organized something by now especially after being the 100th GC Champions. Someone said they were going to do it later on at another venue but I don't see that happening.

AaronInToronto
08-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Fan Day may not come this year. I was told it would be late June, then late July, then early August. Now, seems I'm not getting a response at all. Maybe they are too busy drawing cartoons that appeal to the comic guys who don't actually watch or attend sports games?

matthew
08-06-2013, 04:28 PM
ZING!!!! Yes Guy!

Fan Day may not come this year. I was told it would be late June, then late July, then early August. Now, seems I'm not getting a response at all. Maybe they are too busy drawing cartoons that appeal to the comic guys who don't actually watch or attend sports games?

ArgoZ
08-06-2013, 07:34 PM
There was no Fan Day this year? Wow, that's surprising. Rudge wonders why season seats are down. Gotta market and promote the team man!

ArgoRedneck
08-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Its not my cup of tea.....BUT to all the critics, I am sure next year they will be looking for some people to help out. Step up to the plate and help organize next year if one has a issue with the way it happened this year.

ArgoGabe22
08-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Its not my cup of tea.....BUT to all the critics, I am sure next year they will be looking for some people to help out. Step up to the plate and help organize next year if one has a issue with the way it happened this year.

The Corn Roast or Fan Day?

ArgoRedneck
08-06-2013, 10:06 PM
The Corn Roast or Fan Day?

Yes on both

1argoholic
08-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Fan Day and the FOA Corn Roast are one big event in 2014 and will be called The Argonaut, FOA Cornhole. I'll pass.

Rocket
08-07-2013, 03:14 AM
There was no Fan Day this year? Wow, that's surprising. Rudge wonders why season seats are down. Gotta market and promote the team man!

It's to bad the CEO and mangement of this team don't try to do a better job with this kinda stuff. I guess his thinking is that they play at the skydome and that they are now not going to bother with marketing of this team!

gilthethrill
08-07-2013, 06:31 AM

I just want to confirm, there is no Fan Day this year because of lack of volunteers?

ArgoRedneck
08-07-2013, 07:25 AM
I just want to confirm, there is no Fan Day this year because of lack of volunteers?

Don't know about fan day, Roast is largely vounteers and my comment was directed towards the first thread comment mostly.

gilthethrill
08-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Don't know about fan day, Roast is largely vounteers and my comment was directed towards the first thread comment mostly.

Ok...I always thought Fan Day workers were comprised of Argo staff, I could be wrong though. My annual tradition appears to be broken this year however. It was always great time.

ArgosRule
08-07-2013, 08:46 AM
My son remembers this Fan Day. Who wouldn't forget to be part of practice with a pro team as a kid. Yeah, an easy way to market. Maybe it is coaching/football ops not wanting to lose a day in camp. However, a shortend day of practice vs kids having this memory. The cool thing is he caught the pass but that picture didnt turn out as it is half of him in it because I was trying to watch and take the picture hahaha318

AaronInToronto
08-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Here's my problem - As I continuously state here, on Facebook, etc - Our fan base is way too fractured; we have NO true fan group. The FOA is a farce; a self-proclaimed 'official fan group'. There is a lot of bitterness towards the fact that you pay for a membership and get squat. Plus, a lot of concern about the group's management and their lack of engagement with other splinter groups. a true 'official fan group' would be all encompassing. AND much more proactive. There is sooo much potential here to lead a unified group, but until some egos get put aside, that's not going to happen. I am more than willing to volunteer, but won't do so for an event that doesn't appeal to the entire fan base. Make the annual Official Fan Group event a Family BBQ, or an Argo-themed nautical event on Centre Island. Something that engages everyone. Make it free, and something that is covered by the membership fees. Speaking of fees, what do those membership fees pay for? If they are paying anymore than $9/month for website hosting they are getting scammed. There are no shirts or FOA giveaways, so money isn't going there. See my concern?

Its time for a new Official Fan Group. I'll force the issue myself if I don't begin to see positive change within FOA. Specifically, to be more inclusive towards all groups and the younger fan base. Corn boils don't appeal to 20 and 30 somethings - the group that we need to most appeal to at this time.

I am NOT trying to disparage the individuals who run the group. This is not about that. Its more about what can be done, or how its being done that I take issue with.

Here are the known splinter groups right now. Most of which aren't engaged with each other:

Friends of the Argonauts
Argos Army
Argo Lifers
Argos Endzone
Double Blue Crew
ArgoFans (though only a blog site to keep comments separate from the Fan group)
Argos Admirals (though team-managed)

herrington2828
08-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Here are the known splinter groups right now. Most of which aren't engaged with each other:

Friends of the Argonauts
Argos Army
Argo Lifers
Argos Endzone
Double Blue Crew

So as an argos season tix holder for 9 years and lurking around the internet this is the only "fan group" I have found ... all 20 guys who post on a weekly basis, and had never heard of these others ... for years have looked for a pre-game tailgate or pre-game pints .. instead since 2007 and the lot has been closed, I have donated $35 for overpriced beer and food at either East side marios or the Moose ...

AaronInToronto
08-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Most of these groups have no web presence other than on facebook or twitter. But, in the stands and at team events they can be seen pocketed together. ArgosLifers are the very loud group in Section 134B (much like the Box J Boys in Hamilton). End zoners is self-explanatory. The Argos Army and Double Blue Crew appear to be groups that are trying to supplant the FOA. Or, that's what I was able to surmise.

Wouldn't it be nice though to have one voice for the Fans - A big group that every other CFL team, and the media, could envy and say "Wow, the Argos' fans have finally got it together! Look at that support."

I'll continue to dream and watch the Argos and the FOA screw it up.

Mulder
08-07-2013, 09:47 AM
So as an argos season tix holder for 9 years and lurking around the internet this is the only "fan group" I have found ... all 20 guys who post on a weekly basis, and had never heard of these others ... for years have looked for a pre-game tailgate or pre-game pints .. instead since 2007 and the lot has been closed, I have donated $35 for overpriced beer and food at either East side marios or the Moose ...

Tailgate pretty much died after we lost that huge lot at York and Bremmer. There is a few who tailgate at the smaller lot. I used to BBQ every game when I lived in Toronto, but when I moved away it didn't make sense to haul the BBQ. At one point I suggested a new spot for a tailgate.

AaronInToronto
08-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Tailgating has to be really discreet to work in Toronto. The SOBs tailgate at small lot at York and Bremer as noted. With a new stadium in the future, it'll be up to us and the team to lobby government to loosen the restrictions around tailgating. It can be done safely in coordination with police.

Mulder
08-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Here's my problem - As I continuously state here, on Facebook, etc - Our fan base is way too fractured; we have NO true fan group. The FOA is a farce; a self-proclaimed 'official fan group'. There is a lot of bitterness towards the fact that you pay for a membership and get squat. Plus, a lot of concern about the group's management and their lack of engagement with other splinter groups. a true 'official fan group' would be all encompassing. AND much more proactive. There is sooo much potential here to lead a unified group, but until some egos get put aside, that's not going to happen. I am more than willing to volunteer, but won't do so for an event that doesn't appeal to the entire fan base. Make the annual Official Fan Group event a Family BBQ, or an Argo-themed nautical event on Centre Island. Something that engages everyone. Make it free, and something that is covered by the membership fees. Speaking of fees, what do those membership fees pay for? If they are paying anymore than $9/month for website hosting they are getting scammed. There are no shirts or FOA giveaways, so money isn't going there. See my concern?

T-Bone had tried to get the ball rolling on Argofans meetups. And I agree that the Argo fanbase is fractured. There needs to be someone who can step up and bring them together. I'll touch on this after.

Its time for a new Official Fan Group. I'll force the issue myself if I don't begin to see positive change within FOA. Specifically, to be more inclusive towards all groups and the younger fan base. Corn boils don't appeal to 20 and 30 somethings - the group that we need to most appeal to at this time.

I am NOT trying to disparage the individuals who run the group. This is not about that. Its more about what can be done, or how its being done that I take issue with.

Friends of the Argonauts
Argos Army
Argo Lifers
Argos Endzone
Double Blue Crew

I just heard of Argos Army last night to be honest, Argo Lifers not sure.

Argos Endzone is a small group who sit in 122 I think. Double blue crew used to be a strong group of 30+ that stopped going. There is about 5-10 who still have season tickets. They sit in center of the Endzone. (121)

There is not alot of online engagement with Argo Fans. We have a small presence.

I suggest you take the ball with Toronto Fan Group, If you even want a section here or Mod, I will help you with that.

Since I moved to Ottawa, I've been looking into starting a RedBlacks Fan club. Just need a name :) Sadly Redblacksfans.com was taken by a guy who says "I'm not sure what I'll do with the domain"!!

I'll start the forum setup in the coming months, and try and get a discount at a bar or pub near lansdowne. Make it the official post game watering hole or something. We'll see.

T-Bone
08-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Most of these groups have no web presence other than on facebook or twitter. But, in the stands and at team events they can be seen pocketed together. ArgosLifers are the very loud group in Section 134B (much like the Box J Boys in Hamilton). End zoners is self-explanatory. The Argos Army and Double Blue Crew appear to be groups that are trying to supplant the FOA. Or, that's what I was able to surmise.

Wouldn't it be nice though to have one voice for the Fans - A big group that every other CFL team, and the media, could envy and say "Wow, the Argos' fans have finally got it together! Look at that support."

I'll continue to dream and watch the Argos and the FOA screw it up.
Unfortunately it is never going to happen. You will never have everyone agree on one way of doing things. I do agree though that the Argos fan base appears to be much more fractured then other fan groups and it would be nice if instead of so many smaller groups we could have two or three larger groups that work together. I'm not a fan of groups that charge for membership, especially when they don't tell you where the money is going. That is why I never joined the Friends of the Argonauts or the Red Patch Boys. I prefer the more laid back approach of getting together at a bar or restaurant, getting to know people and building from there. I've tried to organize a few get togethers through this site to meet other fans but the only people that show up are the few Argo fans that I already know outside of argonaut11xx that is. If people here want to get together pre-game or post-game we should pick a place and be consistent. Only if people consistently show up can we build on things. If over time people know there are always Argo fans at such and such place before and/or after games will the event grow.

Will
08-07-2013, 10:01 AM
There were never any major problems when we used to tailgate at the lot firstly across the street approximately south of where the Simcoe Street underpass is today and then across the street at the SW corner of York and Bremner. But, the lots simply keep getting converted to condos and another option (Harbourfront) would likely object to the beer drinking. Most people simply find it easier to go to Badali's or someplace else along Front Street. But, we never had any problems (that I'm aware) with the police coming by and objecting to our presence. In fact, Keith Pelley used to come by on occasion to the tailgate area. That lot at SW corner is still there in some form, but it's probably unfair to call it an SOB tailgate (don't worry I know what SOB means) as I don't even know who's running it anymore.

There isn't a tradition of large supporters groups in North American sports. But, the advantages to the Argo fan base of such a group is self-evident. However, I think a failure to form one is indicative of the demographics that the team faces. These supporters groups are likely to consist of 20-somethings and 30-somethings, which is an area that Argos have problems drawing from. But, it doesn't hurt to try.

I, too, have the same questions about F.O.A that Aaron and T-Bone do. The F.O.A seems to have this corn roast (have to pay) and the bus trips (have to pay) so what is your $20.00 getting you? I'm honestly curious to know. This site used to be under the auspices of F.O.A, but the impression I got as to why it split was the F.O.A higher-ups were upset that we dared to be critical of a 6-12 team.

It seems to have gotten a bit better this year, but I can also honestly say I was embarrassed by the Argo Admirals last season. I didn't care for their "back-and-forth" with the BC Lions prior to one of the games last year and some of the articles were poorly written particularly one written after the first away game in Hamilton. To be honest, I haven't heard of anything cringe-worthy this year, but I've largely put them on the ignore.

To my knowledge the Argos only officially acknowledge F.O.A and the Admirals. I realize that the Argos can't endorse every site like this one because we aren't going to necessarily tow the boat, but even a list of different Argo blogs and sites might be useful in determining what is out there.

paulwoods13
08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
The FOA arranges great seats (directly behind the Argo bench) at reduced prices for games at Ivor Wynne/Guelph, and organizes bus trips there. You could not get the same price directly from the Ticats that you get through the FOA. I don't have any direct knowledge of Montreal games, but I know they have organized bus/train trips there in the past and I would bet the price was better than a direct purchase. Last year's FOA Labour Day excursion also included a private function in Scott Park with hamburgers and soft drinks (and possibly even beer, IIRC) free of charge to those in attendance. All that plus the corn roast and a membership pin seems to me like a pretty fair bargain at a mere $25.

If there truly were big organized masses of Argo fans (in one group or many), that would be a great thing for the team. I don't see anyone stepping up from any of these other loosely organized groups (some of whose members are also members of FOA) to start a formal group or try to improve things with the one formal group we have. If this discussion spurs an infusion of new blood/ideas into FOA, or leads to the start of another formal group open to anyone, that would be great and I'm sure Lori Bursey of FOA would be the first to agree.

argomANIA
08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
The FOA arranges great seats (directly behind the Argo bench) at reduced prices for games at Ivor Wynne/Guelph, and organizes bus trips there. You could not get the same price directly from the Ticats that you get through the FOA. I don't have any direct knowledge of Montreal games, but I know they have organized bus/train trips there in the past and I would bet the price was better than a direct purchase. Last year's FOA Labour Day excursion also included a private function in Scott Park with hamburgers and soft drinks (and possibly even beer, IIRC) free of charge to those in attendance. All that plus the corn roast and a membership pin seems to me like a pretty fair bargain at a mere $25

To be fair, the Corn Roast now charges $15 used to be $10.
I personally stopped my membership. I don't see the value in it. I usually buy a Flex Pack for Hamilton, so all I was getting was a pin.
The FOA used to have BBQ's for the players on weekends. As far as I know that has all stopped. So that leaves a good chunk of us wondering where the money is going.

T-Bone
08-07-2013, 12:23 PM
To be fair, the Corn Roast now charges $15 used to be $10.
I personally stopped my membership. I don't see the value in it. I usually buy a Flex Pack for Hamilton, so all I was getting was a pin.
The FOA used to have BBQ's for the players on weekends. As far as I know that has all stopped. So that leaves a good chunk of us wondering where the money is going.
The bus trips are also not included in the $20, there is understandably an additional charge. If I were to go on a bus trip or to the Corn Roast I at least know where my money is going but the $20 fee seems to get you a pin and e-mails which to me is not worth it, to each their own though.

Rich
08-07-2013, 01:51 PM

Friends of the Argonauts
Argos Army
Argo Lifers
Argos Endzone
Double Blue Crew

Don't forget the Old Faithfuls.

Rich
08-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Tailgating has to be really discreet to work in Toronto. The SOBs tailgate at small lot at York and Bremer as noted.

I'm one of the SOBs who've been tailgating regularly at this location since the other lots closed. There's usually between 15-30 of us having a great time, throwing em back and eating great food while you thankfully wallow in your negativity elsewhere.

AaronInToronto
08-07-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm one of the SOBs who've been tailgating regularly at this location since the other lots closed. There's usually between 15-30 of us having a great time, throwing em back and eating great food while you thankfully wallow in your negativity elsewhere.

I've actually joined you Rich, as I am an SOB. It was fun, but I moved on to Shoeless Joe's to support a sponsor. I wouldn't call myself negative, nor do I "wallow in my negativity". I am direct, and mostly positive. I am very practical, however, and also quite astute on open alcohol policies across multiple jurisdictions across Canada given I used to enforce them ;) My statment was related to being the need to be discreet vs. having it legal. There was no criticism of the SOBs. Again, I am one.

This thread has gone sideways. It was a discussion regarding the Corn Roast and the communication breakdown around it. Let's get back to basics.

Ballstothewall
08-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I've actually joined you Rich, as I am an SOB. It was fun, but I moved on to Shoeless Joe's to support a sponsor. I wouldn't call myself negative, nor do I "wallow in my negativity". I am direct, and mostly positive. I am very practical, however, and also quite astute on open alcohol policies across multiple jurisdictions across Canada given I used to enforce them ;) My statment was related to being the need to be discreet vs. having it legal. There was no criticism of the SOBs. Again, I am one.

This thread has gone sideways. It was a discussion regarding the Corn Roast and the communication breakdown around it. Let's get back to basics.

The corn roast info, went out to all FOA, months ago, its also been up on their web page for months, as well as Twitter. Most members of the FOA gave up on this site, due to the few people on here, who bully and think they run this place. i'm not saying your one of them, but i have never met a more fractured group, then Argo fans and its very very sad.

Ron
08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
The corn roast info, went out to all FOA, months ago, its also been up on their web page for months, as well as Twitter. Most members of the FOA gave up on this site, due to the few people on here, who bully and think they run this place. i'm not saying your one of them, but i have never met a more fractured group, then Argo fans and its very very sad.

Well ... if you knew about it for months ... thanks a bunch for mentioning it before now. You're awesome. :)

T-Bone
08-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Most members of the FOA gave up on this site, due to the few people on here, who bully and think they run this place.You speak for the collective?

AngeloV
08-07-2013, 04:06 PM

Well said Rich. I'm am not a tailgater, and I don't get involved with a lot of groups, but I can't believe the slagging going on of the FOA on here. I may be wrong, but it looks like some on here have some sort of agenda.

Ballstothewall
08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Well ... if you knew about it for months ... thanks a bunch for mentioning it before now. You're awesome. :)

i just went on their (FOA) web site today, and checked it out myself, sorry if your incapable of doing the same thing, next time, i will remember to spoon feed you the information

T-Bone
08-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Well said Rich. I'm am not a tailgater, and I don't get involved with a lot of groups, but I can't believe the slagging going on of the FOA on here. I may be wrong, but it looks like some on here have some sort of agenda.
No agenda. I just don't see the FOA doing much as the "official fan club" of the Argos. Not everything is a conspiracy. One of the good things about this place is that people are free to express their opinions openly as we are not linked to the team officially, just a group of fans.

Ballstothewall
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Ron, the Argos have a game on Aug 8th, in Montreal and Ray is starting, just to keep you up to speed on things.

Ballstothewall
08-07-2013, 04:22 PM
You speak for the collective?

I speak for the 30 or so members of the FOA, that i know, who will no longer post on here. let me asks you this. do you really think there is a large group of FOA who post on this site?

T-Bone
08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
I speak for the 30 or so members of the FOA, that i know, who will no longer post on here.
To each their own. Message boards are not everyone's cup of tea.

do you really think there is a large group of FOA who post on this site?
I don't see how the quantity of FOA members on this message board is relevant to the topic nor did I say I thought there was a large group of FOA members who post on this site.

AaronInToronto
08-07-2013, 04:26 PM
No agenda here - only commentary based on observations of the communication gap. An official fan club wouldn't simply communicate to the membership, or post it on their site. They would be actively working with Argos Marketing to use email pushes, in-games promotions, social media strategies, etc. But hey, what do I know about marcom right? I'm just a dumb Argo fan.

Mulder
08-07-2013, 04:55 PM
FOA donates excess funds to Mike Pinball Foundation and Argos Foundation for Level the playing field. If your that upset about your $25 going towards those causes, then don't sign up.

If someone living in Toronto wants to catch the ball on this, your wide open.
Start a fan group that gets 15% off at Joe Baladili's, Loose Moose or any other bar for pre and post and away game events, and hand cards out to season ticket holders you know. Then start with new people in your section. Problem is someone needs to step up and lead. Others will follow :)

bluto
08-07-2013, 05:08 PM
the concern over cost for FOA membership and what the funds actually go to is what has kept me from ever joining (a group which would be a natural fit for me).

i co-founded the tailgate (which has dies a slow death due to lack of a proper location). i co-founded the DBC 00's (which, while still having many people wearing our 00's, has also died off somewhat).

having one true by-the-fan-community for-the-fan-community group would be a huge boon. pity FOA just isn't willing/able to fill this gap and bring everyone in under the same umbrella.

294life
08-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I got an invite myself and was actually tempted in spite of the long travel it entailed. Argofans are welcome to our tailgate tomorrow which is actually accompanied by an alouette organized pre-game party right next to it. Team officials have finally figured out there's something to this whole 'tailgate' idea.

ArgoRedneck
08-07-2013, 07:29 PM

Great, you were a Door Man and would not let people leave with their booze. We all know the rules in Ontario, and most PO's use great judgement when dealing with a "tailgate" situation. Beer in a can you deserve a fine, beer in a cup "how's the apple juice boys".

AngeloV
08-07-2013, 08:41 PM
FOA donates excess funds to Mike Pinball Foundation and Argos Foundation for Level the playing field. If your that upset about your $25 going towards those causes, then don't sign up.

If someone living in Toronto wants to catch the ball on this, your wide open.
Start a fan group that gets 15% off at Joe Baladili's, Loose Moose or any other bar for pre and post and away game events, and hand cards out to season ticket holders you know. Then start with new people in your section. Problem is someone needs to step up and lead. Others will follow :)

Well said Mulder.

I just don't understand the apparent animosity towards other Argos fan groups. Last year when Argos Admirals started, a bunch on here were po'd because they referred to themselves as the home of the "real Argo fan". The way I see it, all Argos groups should embrace each other.

Will
08-07-2013, 09:02 PM
That wasn't my reason for being unhappy with the Argo Admirals. I found some of the articles that they wrote at the beginning of the 2012 season to be really lacking. I also didn't care for the back-and-forth they engaged in with other teams on twitter early that season. They don't seem to be engaging in as much of that in 2013 so maybe they reversed their ways, but I'm not really paying much attention to them to begin with.

Ron
08-07-2013, 11:45 PM
i just went on their (FOA) web site today, and checked it out myself, sorry if your incapable of doing the same thing, next time, i will remember to spoon feed you the information

Firstly. I didn't look because I could care less. Never went ... never will.

Since you missed the point I was making ... that just makes you even more awesome.

Rich
08-07-2013, 11:59 PM

Sorry Aaron, not knowing what SOB meant in this case, I assumed it wasn't a compliment. I take back my slight.

I with you regarding the team needing to improve marcom.

AaronInToronto
08-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Great, you were a Door Man and would not let people leave with their booze. We all know the rules in Ontario, and most PO's use great judgement when dealing with a "tailgate" situation. Beer in a can you deserve a fine, beer in a cup "hows the apple juice boys".

Ah, no. I was a Police Constable. Now, enough with personal insults please.

Well said Mulder.

I just don't understand the apparent animosity towards other Argos fan groups. Last year when Argos Admirals started, a bunch on here were po'd because they referred to themselves as the home of the "real Argo fan". The way I see it, all Argos groups should embrace each other.

I have no animosity towards any group. FOA does have its merits. My concern is that because there is no formal executive, nor any formal constitution, that I'm aware of, there is little direction and strategy. I've attempted to reach out no less than 3 times to the group with some creative ideas. I was shut down completely. In fact, I tried to engage some of the various group leaders to have a meeting together. Some saw no need, a couple were game. Guess who was the only group to not even acknowledge my request? F.O.A. I may go to Lori directly. I've run many community events and member-driven clubs over the past 10 years and am willing to help. I need someone willing to truly listen though, and put their ego aside.

Anyway, I never started this thread to bash the event. I was simply concerned that there wasn't sufficient communciations around it to drive participation to what it could be.

I speak for the 30 or so members of the FOA, that i know, who will no longer post on here. let me asks you this. do you really think there is a large group of FOA who post on this site?

Really, you guys are going to leave en masse because I questionned the group's communication strategy. C'mon guys. Open your closed group up a bit.

herrington2828
08-08-2013, 09:34 AM
What a beautiful thing this is .. my only confusion what is SOB's then lol? I thought sons a b***es but I guess not?

Mulder
08-08-2013, 09:36 AM
What a beautiful thing this is .. my only confusion what is SOB's then lol? I thought sons a b***es but I guess not?

Southern Ontario "Boys" A facebook group of people who love the CFL and are fans of Ticats/Argos/RedBlacks

AaronInToronto
08-08-2013, 09:37 AM
SOBs is short for the Southern Ontario Boys of the CFL. Its a cool group of people who live in Southern Ontario (primarily) and have a genuine interest in the CFL, not only their team. You can join on Facebook. The group is quite active.

LLB997
08-08-2013, 12:15 PM
SOBs is short for the Southern Ontario Boys of the CFL. Its a cool group of people who live in Southern Ontario (primarily) and have a genuine interest in the CFL, not only their team. You can join on Facebook. The group is quite active. This sounds like a group worth looking into. 1 group active in promoting and enjoying the league.

AaronInToronto
08-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Yep, SOBs is fun, and fairly laid back. Like any group, it has its ups and downs, but its fairly stable and casual. Meetups are typically announced by concensus, and are sporadic - but that works for them.

ArgoRedneck
08-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Ah, no. I was a Police Constable. Now, enough with personal insults please.

You retired out of the RCMP. Love to see your retirement badge at a tailgate. We will have to hook up brother. I would think being a cop that you would have thicker skin.

AaronInToronto
08-08-2013, 05:11 PM
No, not RCMP. Prefer not to disclose at this moment.

Ballstothewall
08-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Firstly. I didn't look because I could care less. Never went ... never will.

Since you missed the point I was making ... that just makes you even more awesome.

yeah, sure Ron, what ever you say. The Argo game starts at 730PM tonight.I will try to keep you posted on the Game. Also the next Hamilton Tigercats game is Aug 16th. just want to make sure, i keep you up to speed on your favourite team. Go Cat's Go, right Ron!!!

Really, you guys are going to leave en masse because I questionned the group's communication strategy. C'mon guys. Open your closed group up a bit.

Aaron
Your comments about the Corn Roast, has nothing to do with the issue. FOA members that i have talked to,do not post on this site, because they feel there is 2 or 3 members on here that just bully people. Which is a sad fact. FOA is one of the largest Argo fan clubs (if not the largest, over 400 members) and I'm guessing that perhaps 4 FOA members post on here. Which is really the only Argo form around. which speaks to the bigger issue of why members of the largest Argo fan club, do not post on the only real Argo online form community. I would like to try to fix that, and try to get all the Argo fan groups/clubs to use/post on this site, but i really think there are some on here, that don"t want to see that happen, and i don"t know WHY, so to hell with it

Why are we just finding out about this date now???? Lori and team, you need to get better at communicating this stuff. Doubtful I can make it with my family on such short notice.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 (http://www.argofans.com/events/calendar/2013/August/10)

1:00pm until 6:00pm

<tbody>

11363 Bathurst St., Richmond Hill

</tbody>

<tbody>
https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/yT/r/K6_TY47YS3x.png

NOTE: THIS EVENT IS HOSTED BY THE FRIENDS OF THE ARGONAUTS FAN CLUB

Toronto Argonaut players from today and yesterday!

•Live Entertainment
•Silent Auction
•Raffle
·BBQ courtesy of Marc Angelo’s

•Player Interviews by Media Personality Don Landry

Silent Auction proceeds to:

The Argos Foundation and Michael “Pinball” Clemons Foundation

Only $15.00 Admission

Children under 12-Free

Please bring your own lawn chair

</tbody>

Aaron
If your trying to get a message to Lori or FOA using this form, good luck, I spoke to Lori yesterday and she has not been on this site or the site before this site, In we'll over 2 years, and she won't be back

ArgoZ
08-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Some members of FOA are very close to the team. While that's great and cool, it doesn't mix well with online forums. How can you call out Cleo Lemon for such poor play and then go for beers with him? Many members, in particular Lori, the President, had a hard time reading all the criticisms and negativity around the team on this site. It sure didn't help with the team playing terrible. But members would stick up for a player only because he was their buddy and that's not how sports forums work. You have to take the good with the bad and the team was very bad at the time, so many of us were very critical. Forums are not for everyone, but it should be every individuals choice, not following a leader. I have had no problems with this site. No one has an ego I see. When someone is out of line, it's dealt with properly. This site is very forgiving and way less negative than many other teams forums, so it just became personal somehow. If others don't want to be here, then they are missing out on the best forum for their Argonauts and that's too bad for them.

Rocket
08-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Aaron
Your comments about the Corn Roast, has nothing to do with the issue. FOA members that i have talked to,do not post on this site, because they feel there is 2 or 3 members on here that just bully people. Which is a sad fact. FOA is one of the largest Argo fan clubs (if not the largest, over 400 members) and I'm guessing that perhaps 4 FOA members post on here. Which is really the only Argo form around. which speaks to the bigger issue of why members of the largest Argo fan club, do not post on the only real Argo online form community. I would like to try to fix that, and try to get all the Argo fan groups/clubs to use/post on this site, but i really think there are some on here, that don"t want to see that happen, and i don"t know WHY, so to hell with it

Well you can just blame the two or three guys on this site to ruin it for everyone who follows this team!

argolio
08-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Well you can just blame the two or three guys on this site to ruin it for everyone who follows this team!Like who? Name names.

herrington2828
08-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Well you can just blame the two or three guys on this site to ruin it for everyone who follows this team!chris rudge. I blame chris rudge. LOL! but seriously guys, its a fricken fan site. get over it. stop chirping, and shutup and discuss football and the argos, enough with the personal BS. grow up.

ArgoRedneck
08-09-2013, 12:07 AM
No, not RCMP. Prefer not to disclose at this moment.

RCMP are the only ones that have jurisdiction over numerous provinces out west, unless you were a special constable on the railway. Stop with the BS my friend.

Argocister
08-09-2013, 12:22 AM
So I would've like to have gone to the corn roast... Er boil.... But I have company coming over that day.
So if there is anything else going on, keep us all posted.
I am planning on taking in the game in Montreal on Sept 8 th ( taking in a CIS game on the 6th) so if anyone else is going let me know. I'd rather sit with other Argofans.:)

294life
08-09-2013, 12:24 AM
So I would've like to have gone to the corn roast... Er boil.... But I have company coming over that day.
So if there is anything else going on, keep us all posted.
I am planning on taking in the game in Montreal on Sept 8 th ( taking in a CIS game on the 6th) so if anyone else is going let me know. I'd rather sit with other Argofans.:) That should be another easy 2 points if the team doesn't fold by then. May want to throw in some larks to your corn roast. i hear they can be quite delish.

T-Bone
08-09-2013, 02:43 AM
I would like to try to fix that, and try to get all the Argo fan groups/clubs to use/post on this site
What do you propose will fix this issue?

Mulder
08-09-2013, 08:05 AM
I am planning on taking in the game in Montreal on Sept 8 th ( taking in a CIS game on the 6th) so if anyone else is going let me know. I'd rather sit with other Argofans.:)

T-Bone, ArgoFan87, Myself and my wife are attending that game. I'm not sure where our seats are i'll have to ask.

AaronInToronto
08-09-2013, 09:39 AM
RCMP are the only ones that have jurisdiction over numerous provinces out west, unless you were a special constable on the railway. Stop with the BS my friend.

OK Redneck, to appease you and your obviously narrow belief in what police force options are available to Canadians here is my history. I started in the maritimes working for 2 years after graduating from the Atlantic Police Academy (aka Holland College), then moved to Alberta for 1.5 years, then to northern Ontario on an educational stint on how to work with Aboriginal police, then opted to go back to NB. I then decided that policing was enough for me and left on my own accord. Two incidences sealed the deal. 1) I had to stand watch over a 14-year girl who hung herself from a tree near her school becuase she apparently dropped out of the top 10 marks in her school (New Brunswick schools use to post student averages in the local papers - DUMB IDEA). that image still haunts me today 2) We stumbled upon a rape in progress, but despite evidence from the other officer and myself in the car, the guy got off with nothing more than a rap on the knuckles. The girl became addicted to drugs afterwards. the guy continued on his privy lifestyle. I started struggling with sleeping, got nasty with everyone and lost faith in what I was doing. After that I entered the marcom world, where I still have little faith in what others are doing, but I know that people's lives aren't at stake if I don't succeed.

CONVERSATION OVER.

I don't have to justify myself any further. Now cut the shit!

Rocket
08-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Stop insulting the people who write on the site! Be more welcoming to new people who come on the site even if they have a negative thing to say about the football team,obviously if they are posting on the site you got to believe that they are Argo or cfl fans!

Mulder
08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Stop insulting the people who write on the site! Be more welcoming to new people who come on the site even if they have a negative thing to say about the football team,obviously if they are posting on the site you got to believe that they are Argo or cfl fans!

What if I told you Chris Rudge posts on this site under an alias.

Good Advice however :)

Will
08-09-2013, 11:21 AM
We met several Argo fans after the game in Montreal yesterday who myself and T-Bone encouraged to check out this site.

Mulder
08-09-2013, 11:23 AM
We met several Argo fans after the game in Montreal yesterday who myself and T-Bone encouraged to check out this site.

If anyone wants, I can quickly design some business cards to hand out at games. Let me know if anyone is interested, I"ll do them up.

Will
08-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Business cards are not a bad idea.

ArgoRedneck
08-09-2013, 11:42 AM
OK Redneck, to appease you and your obviously narrow belief in what police force options are available to Canadians here is my history. I started in the maritimes working for 2 years after graduating from the Atlantic Police Academy (aka Holland College), then moved to Alberta for 1.5 years, then to northern Ontario on an educational stint on how to work with Aboriginal police, then opted to go back to NB. I then decided that policing was enough for me and left on my own accord. Two incidences sealed the deal. 1) I had to stand watch over a 14-year girl who hung herself from a tree near her school becuase she apparently dropped out of the top 10 marks in her school (New Brunswick schools use to post student averages in the local papers - DUMB IDEA). that image still haunts me today 2) We stumbled upon a rape in progress, but despite evidence from the other officer and myself in the car, the guy got off with nothing more than a rap on the knuckles. The girl became addicted to drugs afterwards. the guy continued on his privy lifestyle. I started struggling with sleeping, got nasty with everyone and lost faith in what I was doing. After that I entered the marcom world, where I still have little faith in what others are doing, but I know that people's lives aren't at stake if I don't succeed.

CONVERSATION OVER.

I don't have to justify myself any further. Now cut the shit!

I also work in that environment. I will leave it at "no comment".

Ballstothewall
08-09-2013, 01:14 PM

i"m open to all ideas. look, If there is a real possibility of the Argos getting a new stadium in 5 years, I thought it would be nice to have a united fan base and get things organized for this new place (if it ever comes to fruition) This is the only real Argo form and lets face it, there are 15 people who use this site. WHY,

argolio
08-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Stop insulting the people who write on the site! Be more welcoming to new people who come on the site even if they have a negative thing to say about the football team,obviously if they are posting on the site you got to believe that they are Argo or cfl fans!If you're going to dish it out to Chris Rudge in almost every post, then don't complain about posters giving it right back to you. Stop being a hypocrite.

Rocket
08-09-2013, 02:20 PM
If you're going to dish it out to Chris Rudge in almost every post, then don't complain about posters giving it right back to you. Stop being a hypocrite.

I really got no problem if you want to argue with me about Chris rudge! I think he is doing a lousy job with this team and I have pointed out all the mistakes this guy has made with running this team.i was asking for all the Chris rudge supporters to tell me what good has this guy done for the Argos,and most if not all of you guys can't name a single postive thing this guy has done. Only response is to call me a moron,idiot and all these other name calling is not very productive. And on top of that they ban me from here two times already with no real good reason, I post about the CEO where the state of the team is being discussed on the thread I don't go running around on every thread posting about this subject.never have sworn or name called anybody on this site.

herrington2828
08-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I really got no problem if you want to argue with me about Chris rudge! I think he is doing a lousy job with this team and I have pointed out all the mistakes this guy has made with running this team.i was asking for all the Chris rudge supporters to tell me what good has this guy done for the Argos,and most if not all of you guys can't name a single postive thing this guy has done. Only response is to call me a moron,idiot and all these other name calling is not very productive. And on top of that they ban me from here two times already with no real good reason, I post about the CEO where the state of the team is being discussed on the thread I don't go running around on every thread posting about this subject.never have sworn or name called anybody on this site.

Jesus christ. No kidding we have 15 people on this site. cry, ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodome, moan, complain about eachother, get personal. Double Blue Room is the title of this sub-forum. What does chirping eachother, getting personal and doing nothing but posting NEGATIVITY doing to help the Argos on or off the field, or to engage in intelligent discussion?

I don't smoke, but if you need to, smoke a joint, have a beer or go outside and enjoy this BEAUTIFUL weather and come back and have some fun discussing the team we love with other Argo fans. ARGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS

T-Bone
08-09-2013, 04:15 PM
i"m open to all ideas. look, If there is a real possibility of the Argos getting a new stadium in 5 years, I thought it would be nice to have a united fan base and get things organized for this new place (if it ever comes to fruition) This is the only real Argo form and lets face it, there are 15 people who use this site. WHY,
I agree it would be nice to have a more united fan base. You claim there are only 15 people that use this site because 2 or 3 members on here just bully people. Then you claim you want to fix that but when asked how to fix it you have no solution. If you look at the main page there is section near the bottom that says "Argo Fans Statistics". In there it shows that there are currently 328 members on the site and 94 of them are active members. I agree it would be good to get more members on here but I don't think the problem is as bad as you claim.

ArgoRedneck
08-09-2013, 06:25 PM

This was my point. I agree with some of the last post.

No matter what one volenteers their personal time for, I get my nose out of "joint" (that's for you H2828) about one calling the volenteers out when the are not willing to volenteer. It's like not voting but then one thinks they have the right to complain about the elected Gov. or a work place contract that they did not vote on. Topic is done like Calvillo is, for me.

Ballstothewall
08-09-2013, 06:58 PM
I agree it would be nice to have a more united fan base. You claim there are only 15 people that use this site because 2 or 3 members on here just bully people. Then you claim you want to fix that but when asked how to fix it you have no solution. If you look at the main page there is section near the bottom that says "Argo Fans Statistics". In there it shows that there are currently 328 members on the site and 94 of them are active members. I agree it would be good to get more members on here but I don't think the problem is as bad as you claim.

Great,we have 328 members and 94 active members. This is outstanding, I did not no this, because if you go through all the forms, it's all the same names Posting, perhaps 200 members are using the name Tbone. That must be . Going forward instead of encouraging fans to use this site and put their pass negative experience behind them, I will join the growing list of Argo fans who will not post on this site. So you win T-Bone, now there is 93 members.

herrington2828
08-09-2013, 08:33 PM
This was my point. I agree with some of the last post.

No matter what one volenteers their personal time for, I get my nose out of "joint" (that's for you H2828) about one calling the volenteers out when the are not willing to volenteer. It's like not voting but then one thinks they have the right to complain about the elected Gov. or a work place contract that they did not vote on. Topic is done like Calvillo is, for me. see, now we have a childish banter back and forth . Brother Argo redneck .. when did I call out volunteers? I think you need to re-read my post talking about POSITIVITY and engaging. nowhere in the post did I call out volunteers. again, now we have a personal conversation in a thread that has NOTHING to do about football. ey yi yi! lol

T-Bone
08-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Great,we have 328 members and 94 active members. This is outstanding, I did not no this, because if you go through all the forms, it's all the same names Posting, perhaps 200 members are using the name Tbone. That must be . Going forward instead of encouraging fans to use this site and put their pass negative experience behind them, I will join the growing list of Argo fans who will not post on this site. So you win T-Bone, now there is 93 members.
Your choice. I'm still curious about how you would like to "fix" things.

ArgoRedneck
08-09-2013, 08:58 PM
see, now we have a childish banter back and forth . Brother Argo redneck .. when did I call out volunteers? I think you need to re-read my post talking about POSITIVITY and engaging. nowhere in the post did I call out volunteers. again, now we have a personal conversation in a thread that has NOTHING to do about football. ey yi yi! lol

Huh? I was some what agreeing with you. Only the joint reference was towards you/for you as some humour. Although I hear that stuff makes people paranoid.

herrington2828
08-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Huh? I was some what agreeing with you. Only the joint reference was towards you/for you as some humour. Although I hear that stuff makes people paranoid.JESAAAAAAAAAAAAUS! SOMEBODY PUT EMOTICONS ON HERE. CAUSE I AM EFFIN CONFUSED lol. see - I knew u were a bro redneck ;)

ArgoRedneck
08-09-2013, 10:05 PM
JESAAAAAAAAAAAAUS! SOMEBODY PUT EMOTICONS ON HERE. CAUSE I AM EFFIN CONFUSED lol. see - I knew u were a bro redneck ;)

All is good. Although I am not a FOA member I know where their heart is and for that I have their back.

Wobbler
08-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Anyone who has suggestions regarding how to unify the local Argonaut fanbase and/or expand it should start a new thread. This one is done.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8