PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Argos starters who were released

Wobbler
08-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Kuale's release prompted me to check whether any of the guys we released or declined to re-sign after the GC win are making us regret those decisions.

- EJ Kuale, signed by MTL: 4T, 1STT. Released after 6 games.
- K Huntley, signed by CGY: Started 3 games, 1T. Hasn't made much of an impact in Calgary yet.
- R Foley, signed by SSK: Starting DE, 11T, 2 sacks. Has done pretty well in Saskatchewan.
- B Isaac, signed by HAM: 2T. Injured after less than one game.
- E McCollough, signed by HAM: Starting DB, 14T. Has done well in Hamilton.
- R Flemons, still a free agent.
- M Mann, still a free agent.
- K-Y Rambo, still a free agent.
- C Gagne-Marcoux, still a free agent.
- P Horne, still a free agent.
- J Jackson, retired.
- A Belli, retired.
- A Carroll, retired.
- E Boulay, retired.

If I was a GM I don't think I'd lose any sleep over any of those outcomes. I bet we would have re-signed McCollough had Barker known we were going to lose Younger and Horne, but we've managed. Letting Foley go was and is a good financial decision.

matchuk
08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
i think mo mann has considered himself retired...but i mainly agree with mccullough

Skinny G
08-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Think we should have any consideration to bring EJ back as a DE and Special Teams guy? He was a decent fan favourite as well

ArgoGabe22
08-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Yes Mann and CGM have retired. CGM now works for Molson and Mann is helping out with that 7v7 fast football thing (IDFL?)

ArgoGabe22
08-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Jim Barker always said a team is expected to lose 25% of its roster after a GC win. Out of the 60 listed for the 100th GC only 31 are back again this year. We have 64 listed as of today so that means pretty much 50% of our roster are new to the team for this season.

AngeloV
08-11-2013, 10:34 PM
- R Foley, signed by SSK: Starting DE, 11T, 2 sacks. Has done pretty well in Saskatchewan.

It's funny to compare Foley's stats this year to last year. When he signed with Saskatchewan, he said he's glad that he gets to play the position he believes he is better at--DE as opposed to LB which is how the Argos often used him last year.

Well he finished last season with 3 sacks and 35 tackles. He's on pace for 6 sacks and 33 tackles this year. Honestly, How does that show that he's a better DL? To be honest, I haven't really noticed Foley much this season. I don't remember his other sack, but he had 1 in garbage time against the Argos when Collaros was closing out the game. He had a great Grey Cup, but personally I got tired of hearing him complain about his role last year. Other than the new uniforms, are things really greener for him these days?

Will
08-11-2013, 10:46 PM
There are lots of people who were upset when Foley wasn't resigned--I wasn't one of them despite the fact that I knew his departure left us thin on the DL. Like Angelo says he had a great Grey Cup, but there was talk on here about his problems adjusting to the new system as late as September I believe.

Wobbler
08-11-2013, 11:14 PM
It's funny to compare Foley's stats this year to last year. When he signed with Saskatchewan, he said he's glad that he gets to play the position he believes he is better at--DE as opposed to LB which is how the Argos often used him last year
He might still burn us, but if I was responsible for the payroll I'd... be comfortable.

Argocister
08-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Matthieu Boulay is on the Bombers roster.... I think as of 2 games ago

flafson
08-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Why would Montreal release Kuale? I still think he's pretty good, though not sure our staff will want him back after the hit on Ray...

ArgoRavi
08-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Matthieu Boulay is on the Bombers roster.... I think as of 2 games ago

I am pretty sure that Wobbler means Etienne Boulay rather than Matthieu Boulay who I don't believe ever played for the Argos.

paulwoods13
08-12-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm not a fan of Kuale. He was an excellent special teamer as a rookie and was pretty decent at MLB the next year, but IMO he's not a top-echelon DE. And his tweeting habits are not what I want to see from any CFLer, especially in our market.

ArgoGabe22
08-12-2013, 10:06 AM
And his tweeting habits are not what I want to see from any CFLer, especially in our market.

Agreed. This is why I sort of hate twitter, it's brings fans closer to the players but sometimes it's a little too close and then your opinion on the player changes. I must say my opinion on Ricky Foley changed due to his twitter account.

Will
08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I didn't pay much attention to Foley on twitter. His brother when he posted on here influenced my perception of him in a negative way.

Argo57
08-12-2013, 10:50 AM
I was as critical as anyone regarding the Defence after the first couple of games but like where we are right now!!
Like any player that leaves or is asked to leave there is always something behind the scenes that prompts the move.
Regarding Foley, I heard 2 separate radio interviews on Toronto stations the day he signed in Saskatchewan and he complained that Jones's schemes hurt his personal stats and also his marketability on the free agent market, I'm sure Ricky wasn't complaining when he got his Championship Ring!!!
See yah Ricky!!!!

Wobbler
08-12-2013, 11:12 AM
I am pretty sure that Wobbler means Etienne Boulay rather than Matthieu Boulay who I don't believe ever played for the Argos.
Oops. Yes, he does mean that.

ArgoRavi
08-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Some additional retirements from last year were Danny Desriveaux and Walter Spencer with Spencer and Boulay playing significant enough roles on special teams last year.

argotom
08-12-2013, 04:05 PM
It's funny to compare Foley's stats this year to last year. When he signed with Saskatchewan, he said he's glad that he gets to play the position he believes he is better at--DE as opposed to LB which is how the Argos often used him last year.

Well he finished last season with 3 sacks and 35 tackles. He's on pace for 6 sacks and 33 tackles this year. Honestly, How does that show that he's a better DL? To be honest, I haven't really noticed Foley much this season. I don't remember his other sack, but he had 1 in garbage time against the Argos when Collaros was closing out the game. He had a great Grey Cup, but personally I got tired of hearing him complain about his role last year. Other than the new uniforms, are things really greener for him these days?Agreed. Despite the GC game, I believe Foley was on a downside of his career last year and this year there is nothing I have seen to change my mind.

Will
08-12-2013, 05:35 PM
I was concerned in the pre-season about our secondary because of the departures of Carroll, McCullough, Horne and Younger. Remember that Pat Watkins was dealing with those personal issues and we weren't even sure about what his status was. The secondary had me very worried for the first three weeks of the season, but improvements over the last few games would convince me to go from concerned about the turnover to cautiously optimistic about the replacements. I wasn't concerned with any of the losses on the d-line or on offense.

Argo57
08-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Has anyone actually seen any confirmation that Kuale has in fact been released?????
I haven't.

Wobbler
08-12-2013, 10:54 PM
The league is slow to update Sunday/Monday transactions, but Zurkowsky knows what he is talking about (http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/sports/football/montreal-alouettes/Zurkowsky+Devine+gets+some+time/8775643/story.html).

Argo57
08-12-2013, 11:13 PM
The league is slow to update Sunday/Monday transactions, but Zurkowsky knows what he is talking about (http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/sports/football/montreal-alouettes/Zurkowsky+Devine+gets+some+time/8775643/story.html).

Thanks Wobbler!!

Wobbler
10-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Now that the season is all but over, I wanted to update this.

- EJ Kuale, signed by MTL: 4T, 1STT. Released after 6 games, then signed by SSK (4T, 1STT). Basically a depth guy for them.
- K Huntley, signed by CGY: Started 4 games, 2T. Has been injured for most of the season (currently on the 9G list) and made no meaningful impact.
- R Foley, signed by SSK: Starting DE, 43T, 8 sacks. Has done quite well in Saskatchewan (tied for 8th in the league in sack total).
- B Isaac, signed by HAM: 22T, 1 INT, 5 sacks. Has appeared in 10 games (starting 7 of them) and generally been OK.
- E McCollough, signed by HAM: Starting DB, 43T (5th on team). Has done quite well in Hamilton despite some injury problems.

So... Foley had a pretty good year and plays a position where we've been weak. On the other hand, it would have been expensive to re-sign him. I'd call that a wash.

Isaac has been fairly good but I'm not sure that we've missed him. Meh.

McCollough has been missed, and letting him go was a mistake in retrospect. Barker should be ashamed (heh).

paulwoods13
10-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Now that the season is all but over, I wanted to update this.

- EJ Kuale, signed by MTL: 4T, 1STT. Released after 6 games, then signed by SSK (4T, 1STT). Basically a depth guy for them.
- K Huntley, signed by CGY: Started 4 games, 2T. Has been injured for most of the season (currently on the 9G list) and made no meaningful impact.
- R Foley, signed by SSK: Starting DE, 43T, 8 sacks. Has done quite well in Saskatchewan (tied for 8th in the league in sack total).
- B Isaac, signed by HAM: 22T, 1 INT, 5 sacks. Has appeared in 10 games (starting 7 of them) and generally been OK.
- E McCollough, signed by HAM: Starting DB, 43T (5th on team). Has done quite well in Hamilton despite some injury problems.

So... Foley had a pretty good year and plays a position where we've been weak. On the other hand, it would have been expensive to re-sign him. I'd call that a wash.

Isaac has been fairly good but I'm not sure that we've missed him. Meh.

McCollough has been missed, and letting him go was a mistake in retrospect. Barker should be ashamed (heh).

Good analysis. We don't know what McCollough got from Hamilton but I bet it was more than we are paying a lot of our defensive players.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8