PDA

View Full Version : Argos call in show?

LLB997
08-17-2013, 12:25 AM
I have a question for some of the longtime Argos fans here. Have the Argos ever had a Radio call in show or post game call in segment? like the Ticats do on am900. I actually get am900 clear as a bell here in New York for some reason and am a bit envious that they have a good 1/2 of the post game dedicated to fans calling in. wish 1050 had it for us.

ArgoRavi
08-17-2013, 02:51 AM
I have a question for some of the longtime Argos fans here. Have the Argos ever had a Radio call in show or post game call in segment? like the Ticats do on am900. I actually get am900 clear as a bell here in New York for some reason and am a bit envious that they have a good 1/2 of the post game dedicated to fans calling in. wish 1050 had it for us.

The Fifth Quarter is legendary in Hamilton and Ottawa used to have a great call-in post-game show after Riders games on CFRA (I don't know if that tradition continued with the Renegades or not). I honestly couldn't tell you whether the Argos have ever had anything similar or not. I grew up in northeastern Ontario and my radio would strain to pick up CFRB at night. I can remember some shows during the week and on Sunday evenings in the mid 1980s hosted by Suneel Joshi where Argos fans would call in. One call I have never forgotten happened on the Sunday night following the Argos blowing that 26 point lead against Hamilton in the two-game total point series for the 1986 East Final. A woman called in and said that she had bought Grey Cup tickets for her husband as a gift (maybe for his birthday) as they were sure that the Argos would be in the big game after winning by 14 points the week before. For some reason, I have never forgotten that although it might have been because I was so depressed that evening. Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent but that is about all I can remember for Argos fans calling in somewhere but it wasn't a post-game show like what Hamilton has.

ArgoZ
08-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Back when the Argos were on the Fan590, there was usually a lengthy post game show hosted by Mike Hogan with calls. I used to listen to the show all the way home from the game to Niagara, it was great.

argotom
08-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Yes there was one on Fan590 and also AM640 when they had the play by play. Nothing in recent memory while with Team 1050.

ArgoGabe22
08-17-2013, 11:25 AM
When I get to the car after an Argos games (45 min after the game) 1050 just plays a show from ESPN radio and that annoys me. It's not like anything great is on after an Argos game that they have to always cut off Hogan and Tatti at the top of the hour.

Now I'm not so sure if I would even want to listen to fans call in. Hamilton fans make me laugh and I assume Argo fans would be similar.

Will
08-17-2013, 11:27 AM
I think I may have heard TSN 1050 take a few calls post-game on occasion, but certainly not the norm.

Rocket
08-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Yes there was one on Fan590 and also AM640 when they had the play by play. Nothing in recent memory while with Team 1050.

Yes I remember that as well.Maybe we could tell tsn1050 to request them to carry on a show like that. Especially after a Argo home game when most fans are commuting home,it's always nice to listen to a talk show like that.

AngeloV
08-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Honestly, I like the post game the way it is. I'm not a fan of call in shows at all. I'd rather hear the players from the locker room any day.

Rocket
08-18-2013, 01:10 AM
Honestly, I like the post game the way it is. I'm not a fan of call in shows at all. I'd rather hear the players from the locker room any day.

Well I think they would be able to do it both ways. I know it's very hard to hear cfl or Argo talk on the radio these days,it would be nice to have a longer post game show. Especially after a game when you could reach out to most of the Argos fans

Argocister
08-18-2013, 02:44 PM

I'm with you on this one, I prefer the analysis and player/coach interviews .

Well I think they would be able to do it both ways. I know it's very hard to hear cfl or Argo talk on the radio these days,it would be nice to have a longer post game show. Especially after a game when you could reach out to most of the Argos fans

I agree!......Longer post game .... Till I get home .... 60-90 minutes thanx!
:)

LLB997
08-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I like the players, but I can only listen to so much "give 110 percent" talk. And even Hogan is a bit much with the "What did you know about Canada/CFL?" when he interviews the American players. I think opening the lines to fans could be so much more entertaining.

ArgoGabe22
08-18-2013, 05:11 PM
I like the players, but I can only listen to so much "give 110 percent" talk. And even Hogan is a bit much with the "What did you know about Canada/CFL?" when he interviews the American players. I think opening the lines to fans could be so much more entertaining.

You should hear Frank Zicarelli. After WPG Milanovich addresses the injuries of Ray and Kackert and then he asks about the injuries right after. The Sun sends him to WPG to ask a question already asked? Frank also sounds like he has no clue what went on with the game, actually sounds like he doesn't know anything about football period.

Fans would make it entertaining but I think it will be similar to HAM and SSK call ins. First caller in and already wants a new QB with a whole new coaching staff. Or the guy who congratulates the team for 5 min and then the next guy calls in to only say "Great Game!

LLB997
08-18-2013, 05:58 PM
You should hear Frank Zicarelli. After WPG Milanovich addresses the injuries of Ray and Kackert and then he asks about the injuries right after. The Sun sends him to WPG to ask a question already asked? Frank also sounds like he has no clue what went on with the game, actually sounds like he doesn't know anything about football period.

Fans would make it entertaining but I think it will be similar to HAM and SSK call ins. First caller in and already wants a new QB with a whole new coaching staff. Or the guy who congratulates the team for 5 min and then the next guy calls in to only say "Great Game! ya, I hear ya. but that's the charm of the whole thing. I remember after the Labour day classic driving back home some guy who sounded like he came right off the boat from Sicily was freaking out for about 2 minutes. I think the only word I understood was "Stala". The host had no clue what he was trying to say and it was entertaining as hell. I don't expect most fans to be as well versed on the x's and o's of the game like a lot of the guys on here are but moreso just showing a passion and honest emotion as opposed to Tatti running down stats while he has one eye on the clock ( no offence Jim)

Gill The Thrill
08-19-2013, 01:57 AM
ya, I hear ya. but that's the charm of the whole thing. I remember after the Labour day classic driving back home some guy who sounded like he came right off the boat from Sicily was freaking out for about 2 minutes. I think the only word I understood was "Stala". The host had no clue what he was trying to say and it was entertaining as hell. I don't expect most fans to be as well versed on the x's and o's of the game like a lot of the guys on here are but moreso just showing a passion and honest emotion as opposed to Tatti running down stats while he has one eye on the clock ( no offence Jim)

I was just thinking the same thing myself...and the only reason that I can come up with as to why they don't have one is for the unfortunate reason that they don't get enough calls when they ask callers to call in. They have had some on occasion but it's never an individual program like the 5th Quarter hosted by Ted Michaels on CHML 900...I enjoy it, but you get some real hoots calling after they've polished up a 2-4 during the game, and that can be a laugh...that being said, it does say that the public, diehards and casual fans really care. The Argos have a strong following of what I would call 30,000-50,000 die-hards with half of those attending games regularly...but they do need that general casual sports fan support which has seemed to escape them in the last 20 years by following other Toronto teams, sports, or unfortunately other football leagues. I hope the number of die-hards is greater, but if it is, then why would they not have a post-game call in show, like 590 has with Baseball. I wish it was not the situation and that the phone lines would be lit with the demand for call-ins as with the Leafs and Jays post-game, but I believe I'm being realistic.

As for that famous fan who called the 5th Quarter in Hamilton that you're referring to...I believe that would be Antonio from Stoney Creek. He still has fans asking about where he is as he has not called Ted Michaels this season. I believe he was even invited to attend a Ticat game at a suite by CHML last season because of how passionate he was during his calls...That's the type of stuff that fans love to hear because it shows that the team is important and in the mainstream. Although it can get tiring to hear callers have the same gripe, it does bring to light how popular a sports team is in the day-to-day lives of the fans of that city. Unfortunately, the Argos have not had that long-term consistent significance in this city for almost 30 years. Again, I'm just the messenger and I wish that was not the case, but it seems as though it is.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8