PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Ray

OV Argo
08-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Frickin' amazing QBing display going on lately ... incredible completion precentage - accurate, saavy/smart - lots of short dink & dunk stuff but can throw the deep ball with the best of them = yikes - one of the best CFL QBs of all time IMO - glad we have him (thanks Tillspin) !

:love:

Wobbler
08-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Well said, OV. I agree.

294life
08-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Reilly put on a show too. Defence will have to play better. Can't expect Ray to carry his team every night.

OV Argo
08-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Reilly put on a show too. Defence will have to play better. Can't expect Ray to carry his team every night.

Yeah - Reilly is a very impressive young QB IMO - might have a long and very good CFL career.

500 passing yards ? - not a good sign on your D - need wayyyyy more in pass rush/D-line play-making (not near enough experience and talent IMO - minus Foley, Huntley, Armstead and Flemons - not even close now) and more coverage / play-making from the D-backfield - Watkins is a good one and Lawrence impressive as a young guy, but not good enough overall - missing a solid guy like McCullough and Matt Black, though somewhat impressive as a first year starter, needs to do way more at safety - picks and big hits. Argo D is a work in progress and hopefully Jones pulls them together as the season wears on (Chris Schultz's comment on the TSN pre-game show that this D could be better than last year's was laughable - just not enough experience or play-makers). Not going to be able to beat the Riders or Stumps in a big game with this D IMO - even with Ray playing the way he is.

larz-7
08-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah - Reilly is a very impressive young QB IMO - might have a long and very good CFL career.

500 passing yards ? - not a good sign on your D - need wayyyyy more in pass rush/D-line play-making (not near enough experience and talent IMO - minus Foley, Huntley, Armstead and Flemons - not even close now) and more coverage / play-making from the D-backfield - Watkins is a good one and Lawrence impressive as a young guy, but not good enough overall - missing a solid guy like McCullough and Matt Black, though somewhat impressive as a first year starter, needs to do way more at safety - picks and big hits. Argo D is a work in progress and hopefully Jones pulls them together as the season wears on (Chris Schultz's comment on the TSN pre-game show that this D could be better than last year's was laughable - just not enough experience or play-makers). Not going to be able to beat the Riders or Stumps in a big game with this D IMO - even with Ray playing the way he is.

last year we had some issues on D as well and they pulled it together when needed. yes we need work but don't think we are far off..of the five guys you mentioned on our D that are gone McCullough is missed the most. love the other guys but .

KCargosfan
08-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Ray has been freaking $$ this season. We should probably rework his contract to sign him through 2018.

Where does he rank among the all-time CFL QBs (according to posters on here)?

Stevoman
08-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Good game but yes, I too thought the D played inconsistently. They were very strong in the 3rd but average for the rest. Lawrence seemed overconfident and didn't wrap up enough tackles. He missed an easy pick as well. Horton had some miscues also. They have been tighter in the previous 3 wins and so while this was a regression, it might be a good thing for them to help keep them from being cocky. They are not there yet but do have potential. Good thing they won't see Nik Lewis next week although I do wish him a good recovery.

matchuk
08-19-2013, 12:07 AM
so, what qb are we protecting for the ottawa expansion now?

ArgoRavi
08-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Frickin' amazing QBing display going on lately ... incredible completion precentage - accurate, saavy/smart - lots of short dink & dunk stuff but can throw the deep ball with the best of them = yikes - one of the best CFL QBs of all time IMO - glad we have him (thanks Tillspin) !

:love:

It just goes to show how the Esks wasted Ray during his final few years in Edmonton. They never protected him properly and could never find the right offensive co-ordinator to work with him either. He is now in the perfect system with the right coaches in Toronto. This offence is the best and most exciting that we have seen in Toronto since 1996-97.

ArgoRavi
08-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Good game but yes, I too thought the D played inconsistently. They were very strong in the 3rd but average for the rest. Lawrence seemed overconfident and didn't wrap up enough tackles. He missed an easy pick as well. Horton had some miscues also. They have been tighter in the previous 3 wins and so while this was a regression, it might be a good thing for them to help keep them from being cocky. They are not there yet but do have potential. Good thing they won't see Nik Lewis next week although I do wish him a good recovery.

That same thought crossed my mind as well after tonight's game. Hopefully they are closer to getting the personnel settled on this defence. Apparently, the Argos have released Janzen Jackson even though he was listed as a starter on tonight's depth chart. He was replaced by Josh Gatlin for tonight's game. I would love to see the Argos finally settle on the five starters in the defensive backfield and stick with them the rest of the way, barring injury. The other spots that still don't seem settled to me are the defensive ends. They are solid in the middle with Laing and Mitchell and Washington didn't seem out of place there tonight either but who will be the answers at the end positions?

KCargosfan
08-19-2013, 12:57 AM
so, what qb are we protecting for the ottawa expansion now?

This is sarcasm, correct?

AngeloV
08-19-2013, 02:21 AM
(Chris Schultz's comment on the TSN pre-game show that this D could be better than last year's was laughable - just not enough experience or play-makers). .

I'm pretty sure that he didn't mean at this moment. I was at the game, but PVR'd and it and it sounded to me like he meant by the end of the year it could be better than last year's was.

But to stay fully on the topic, I agree with you that Ray is unbelievable. His reads are so quick. There was a total idiot sitting in front of me complaining late in the game about a two yard completion he threw to Owens, but he was shut up pretty quickly when he hit Chiles deep on the next play. Some people are just never happy.

paulwoods13
08-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Ray has been freaking $$ this season. We should probably rework his contract to sign him through 2018.

Where does he rank among the all-time CFL QBs (according to posters on here)?

He has potential to go down in history as the best, period. If he plays another five years, I don't see why he won't be at least in the top three to five all-time.

We are incredibly fortunate to have the combination of a superb offensive mastermind in Milanovich and a quarterback who understands everything he is doing and throws probably the most catchable passes ever.

I've been saying since preseason that if RR stays healthy he will win the MOP this year. That seems even more likely after his past three games -- he has been absolutely unreal.

matchuk
08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
This is sarcasm, correct?

yes, of course

OV Argo
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
He has potential to go down in history as the best, period. If he plays another five years, I don't see why he won't be at least in the top three to five all-time.

We are incredibly fortunate to have the combination of a superb offensive mastermind in Milanovich and a quarterback who understands everything he is doing and throws probably the most catchable passes ever.

I've been saying since preseason that if RR stays healthy he will win the MOP this year. That seems even more likely after his past three games -- he has been absolutely unreal.

Best all-time you mean? - could be i guess, but IMO he just doesn't have the total QB skill set package that Jackson, Flutie or Moon had (mostly in the mobility / great running & scrambling abiity but also gun for an arm department); still, IMO again - he is already close to top 5 all-time; the big 3 i mentioned are sort of untouchables to me in a 1A category, but there are a few very good ones on a 1B list - Ray would be up there with Dunigan, Brock, Clements, (maybe Lancaster, but not over-rated Calvillo) - going by guys i got to see play - in the before my time category Sam The Rifle had amazing/awesome passing stats.

ArgoGabe22
08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Ray would be up there with Dunigan, Brock, Clements, (maybe Lancaster, but not over-rated Calvillo) - going by guys i got to see play - in the before my time category Sam The Rifle had amazing/awesome passing stats.

I'll be waiting for Angelo's reply. If anyone thinks Clements is overrated it's him lol

OV Argo
08-19-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that he didn't mean at this moment. I was at the game, but PVR'd and it and it sounded to me like he meant by the end of the year it could be better than last year's was.

But to stay fully on the topic, I agree with you that Ray is unbelievable. His reads are so quick. There was a total idiot sitting in front of me complaining late in the game about a two yard completion he threw to Owens, but he was shut up pretty quickly when he hit Chiles deep on the next play. Some people are just never happy.

Basically zero hope, IMO, that this year's D can be better than last year's; barring some great trade or some awesome new singings at DE or D-backfield maybe. Jones might like to think he can just plug & play with any talent he decides are good enough to fit his system, but IMO he's fooling himself if he thinks he can easily replace the talent & experience of Foley, Armstead, Huntley, Flemons, McCullough, Younger, Carroll. The D could still be very good though.

OV Argo
08-19-2013, 10:25 PM
That same thought crossed my mind as well after tonight's game. Hopefully they are closer to getting the personnel settled on this defence. Apparently, the Argos have released Janzen Jackson even though he was listed as a starter on tonight's depth chart. He was replaced by Josh Gatlin for tonight's game. I would love to see the Argos finally settle on the five starters in the defensive backfield and stick with them the rest of the way, barring injury. The other spots that still don't seem settled to me are the defensive ends. They are solid in the middle with Laing and Mitchell and Washington didn't seem out of place there tonight either but who will be the answers at the end positions?

DE is a big need IMO; maybe Lee can come back and put it together - flashed skills last year but not so much this season; English looks to have a good motor but is raw/green to the CFL; like to see Reid get a shot and can't figure out why he hasn't been give at least some reps this year - can play both DE & DT.

Sign Vega if possible (?); or maybe a trade is possible for a DE on another CFL team who is down the depth chart there but maybe very good if given a chance (like to see them try for Cappiciottii from the Esks).

7dj83r8f78t4alf8