PDA

View Full Version : Should Argos trade Collaros?

tennyis
08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
He's going to be gone at the end fo the year... and teams like the Al's or Bombers could really use a QB right now... Would hate to see him go to a divsional team but he's going next year to one of them (or Ottawa) as a starter anyways.

Mulder
08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Keep him until the trade deadline at least. Which is Wednesday October 9th.

dmont
08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
He's going to be a free agent at the end of the year, which doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be gone. If he is likely to bolt for the highest bidder (CFL or NFL) then he's not very valuable in a trade anyways. If you think about it, his pending free agency helps us out a lot. It makes him less attractive to Ottawa in the draft, and we can use him as a backup for now to keep Trevor Harris under Ottawa's radar. The reality is, as long as other teams are in bad shape at QB (Winnipeg, Montreal), then it's in the best interests of a young QB to try it out there as a starter rather than back up a Ricky Ray for (hopefully!) many years to come. McPherson seems to be the exception to that rule, but probably only because it seemed like Calvillo was going to retire at the end of every season for the past three or four years.

ArgoGabe22
08-19-2013, 02:40 PM
No. The best we can get it is probably a low draft pick and who knows, we may need him if anything happens to Ray.

Argo57
08-19-2013, 02:53 PM
No way, keep him for the rest of this season, good insurance policy.

Will
08-19-2013, 03:01 PM
I agree he is a good insurance policy right now should anything else (G-D forbid) happen to Ricky. Plus, having him do what he did on 3rd and 2 yesterday was pretty neat.

tennyis
08-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I think a team like Winnipeg would give up a lot to get him and mold him into a starter. Sign him to a contract extension in the offseason. He has already said publicly he wants to be the guy in Ottawa next year.

I like the idea of keeping him, but he's going to walk away for nothing and learn all about our offense in the mean time.

Ricky looks like his knee is going to be OK now.

argos1873
08-19-2013, 05:14 PM
He has already said publicly he wants to be the guy in Ottawa next year.

When did he publicly say this? Seems like an odd thing to say publicly.

Will
08-19-2013, 05:19 PM
After the win against British Columbia he said something to the effect that "I know Ottawa is watching..." but other than that I haven't heard him say anything openly on the subject.

tennyis
08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Before the Lions game, something along the lines of he knew they would be watching and looking for a starter so he wanted to put on a show.

argos1873
08-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Unless it was very off the cuff, it seems a rather unprofessional thing to say IMHO.

ArgoRavi
08-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Unless it was very off the cuff, it seems a rather unprofessional thing to say IMHO.

It seemed to me that Collaros was just joking around given all of the media hype about how Ottawa was watching. I really don't think his comments were a big deal. IIRC, he said something like, "Je m'appelle Zach" and said that was the only French that he knew in reference to going to Ottawa.

tennyis
08-19-2013, 06:05 PM

I thought the same thing...

and also this:
"
Collaros even got into the act after Toronto’s 38-12 win over the Lions when asked about the possibility of going to Ottawa next season.
“Je m’appelle Zach. I can say that,” said the native of Steubenville, Ohio, who didn’t study a lot of French in high school. “Comme ca, comme ca? I can say that, right?”"

ArgoGabe22
08-19-2013, 06:07 PM
I thought the same thing...

and also this:
"
Collaros even got into the act after Toronto’s 38-12 win over the Lions when asked about the possibility of going to Ottawa next season.
“Je m’appelle Zach. I can say that,” said the native of Steubenville, Ohio, who didn’t study a lot of French in high school. “Comme ca, comme ca? I can say that, right?”"

And to add he only said that because the media were all over him on the Ottawa draft. It wasn't like he was saying it to get Ottawa to notice, the media were just hammering him questions on Ottawa and someone asked "How's your French?"

tennyis
08-19-2013, 06:10 PM
TSN interviewed him before the game and he made more comments then regarding it, saything that he knew they would be watching so he wanted to play really well and put on a show. Anyone have a DVR of it still?

Either way it's not a huge deal but it shows the kid wants to be a starter and it's not going to happen in TO unless Ray's knee completely gives out and he misses the rest of the year.. To assume he would sign here as a backup for the next few years instead of moving on to say Ottawa, Winnipeg or Montreal seems a bit silly at this point. Which is why I brought up the question...

If I am the GM of the BB I gotta be trying to make a move for a QB and try and put my stamp on the team... So lets play GM if they called up and offered a 1st round draft pick for Collaros... would you take it?

argos1873
08-19-2013, 06:48 PM
I guess we can agree that ZC's comments were off the cuff, and hold no real weight.

As for the 1st rounder for ZC, no, I would not take that, at this point in time.

tennyis
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
I think they hold a bit of weight in showing that he has no interest in backing up Ricky Ray for the next 3-5 years... He could have said "I'm focused on this game, not the Ottawa franchise" for example.

ArgoRavi
08-19-2013, 09:42 PM
I think they hold a bit of weight in showing that he has no interest in backing up Ricky Ray for the next 3-5 years... He could have said "I'm focused on this game, not the Ottawa franchise" for example.

You will be hard-pressed to find any QB who wants to be a backup for the next 3 to 5 years. I don't think that can be held against Collaros.

hugoagogo
08-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Keep him:
1. For insurance this year. Despite the brilliant play from Ricky, I honestly don't believe he's at 100%
2. There is a good possibility that QB's from Calgary or Saskatchewan could be picked by Ottawa. Especially if Collaros gets no real playing time for the rest of the season and the others show well in future games. Also, there is a potential dark horse in Montreal with former Heisman winner Troy Smith. If he gets some playing time and Calvillo comes back, there's another for Ottawa to consider.
3. If he is plucked by Ottawa, Argos get to protect two additional Canadians from the expansion draft. That might be a better option than trading him right now for an unknown.

argotom
08-19-2013, 10:57 PM
There appears no doubt either Collaros or Harris will be gone after this year. So the team might as well make a deal and try to get the best for Zach.

Ron
08-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Meh. I doubt the Bombers have any great interest in him. (me thinks he's seen here with double blue glasses)

As for not signing to be a backup here? You really think he's be starter in Ottawa? You really think Ottawa will start out with basically an unproven rookie?

I see Ottawa doing this. Drafting or signing Kevin Glenn to start. Then have as a backup they'll draft one of Willey, Reilly or Nichols. So by the time Zach is even free Ottawa will have their QB's.

argolio
08-20-2013, 02:04 AM
Trade one of the more proven backup QBs in the league when you don't have to? Why??

Midnight Blue
08-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Trade one of the more proven backup QBs in the league when you don't have to? Why??

You make a great point, Argolio.

I suppose the counter to it would be is that we'll probably lose him in the draft,

but that is not certain.

You make a great point.

Ka' Pla !

Midnight Blue
08-20-2013, 02:54 AM
Let's not forget, that a team needs two quality QBs, in a season, in case one gets injured.

Let's not scare ourselves silly.

If Ottawa takes Collaros, we will still be ok, with Ray and Harris.

Allow not panic, to guide your future.

Ka' Pla !

ArgoRavi
08-20-2013, 03:06 AM
There appears no doubt either Collaros or Harris will be gone after this year. So the team might as well make a deal and try to get the best for Zach.

What the focus should be on right now is winning the Grey Cup this year and keeping Collaros gives us depth at that all-important QB position. Let's worry about Ottawa after the season (and, yes, I am guilty of posting about potentially losing Chris Jones next year but let's worry about that after this season).

paulwoods13
08-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Keep him:
1. For insurance this year. Despite the brilliant play from Ricky, I honestly don't believe he's at 100%
2. There is a good possibility that QB's from Calgary or Saskatchewan could be picked by Ottawa. Especially if Collaros gets no real playing time for the rest of the season and the others show well in future games. Also, there is a potential dark horse in Montreal with former Heisman winner Troy Smith. If he gets some playing time and Calvillo comes back, there's another for Ottawa to consider.
3. If he is plucked by Ottawa, Argos get to protect two additional Canadians from the expansion draft. That might be a better option than trading him right now for an unknown.

I agree with everything here. I think Ottawa is going to draft Drew Tate. If they also end up with Collaros and we get to keep two additional NIs, that's OK with me. I like Collaros's potential, but I want RR to be our QB for at least the next five years.

Mulder
08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
I agree with everything here. I think Ottawa is going to draft Drew Tate. If they also end up with Collaros and we get to keep two additional NIs, that's OK with me. I like Collaros's potential, but I want RR to be our QB for at least the next five years.

I disagree on Drew Tate. I don't think there is a huge possibility on them picking a QB from a team or teams that arguably have the best NI talent. I think they'll take 1 QB. This is also because I also have a hard time seeing all 3 current QB's remaining on the stamps next season. One will walk or be released.

It's also less likely that Calvillo gets protected, this is only because I can't see Ottawa picking him in any circumstance, even if he was picked, he'd likely retire anyways

paulwoods13
08-20-2013, 11:01 AM
I disagree on Drew Tate. I don't think there is a huge possibility on them picking a QB from a team or teams that arguably have the best NI talent. I think they'll take 1 QB.

That's a good point -- they might be better off going after the best NIs and then focus on a QB. Picking just one is a possibility.

I also have a hard time seeing all 3 current QB's remaining on the stamps next season. One will walk or be released.

I would be very surprised if that happened. I don't think any serious contender would risk surrendering depth at QB, which is also why I think there's no way we trade Collaros or even Harris.

It's also less likely that Calvillo gets protected, this is only because I can't see Ottawa picking him in any circumstance, even if he was picked, he'd likely retire anyways

I agree 100%. There's no way a 41-year-old quarterback is getting drafted.

tennyis
08-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Burris is also a FA at the end of the year... I could see him in Ottawa. He would give them the best chance to win out of any of the options.

Even if Ottawa does not draft collaros, which I dont think they will he could still sign with them as a FA, or Montreal, or Winnipeg. Any of those teams gives him a better chance to be a starter.

paulwoods13
08-20-2013, 11:14 AM
As long as Ricky Ray wants to keep playing, Collaros is very likely to go elsewhere next year. We'll just have to live with that, and it's one of the reasons we have two other prospects with the team this year. Collaros might develop into a superstar; RR already is one and he's got many more years of football in him.

Will
08-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Burris is also a FA at the end of the year... I could see him in Ottawa. He would give them the best chance to win out of any of the options.

Even if Ottawa does not draft collaros, which I dont think they will he could still sign with them as a FA, or Montreal, or Winnipeg. Any of those teams gives him a better chance to be a starter.

You think the Tiger-Cats are going to let Burris walk?

argolio
08-20-2013, 04:16 PM
You think the Tiger-Cats are going to let Burris walk?You think Ottawa would draft a QB who will be 39 next year?

bluto
08-20-2013, 07:52 PM
the Argos are competing for the Grey Cup. no way do we trade our insurance policy at QB.

it's a pity that we likely won't be able to retain ZC's services next season... but his progression and upside merit a shot at a #1 spot... and with RR playing at the ungodly level that he is, the job just isn't available in Toronto.

we've invested 2 years of tutelage into Harris as well, so hopefully we can bring him back.

OV Argo
08-20-2013, 10:19 PM
the Argos are competing for the Grey Cup. no way do we trade our insurance policy at QB.

it's a pity that we likely won't be able to retain ZC's services next season... but his progression and upside merit a shot at a #1 spot... and with RR playing at the ungodly level that he is, the job just isn't available in Toronto.

we've invested 2 years of tutelage into Harris as well, so hopefully we can bring him back.

The reason to trade Collaros would be because he is not likely to fit in the Argos future plans - given Ray as the starter for a few more years anyways, AND Collaros wanting a chance to start somewhere else so he`s bound to flee anywaysÉ

I would not be opposed to trading Collaros, IF the Argos are getting help they need to better chances of going to and winning the GC this year (back to back would sure be nice), plus some future help maybe ... Collaros to the Bombers for the Argos pick of one or maybe 2 of their top defensive players (area of Argo need now IMO), plus a first or 2nd round draft pick thrown in. Not sure the Bombers would go for this (Argo fans may rate Collaros higher than some CFL thinkers), but they might bite on such terms.

The new Ottawa team would be smart to go with a good young gun CFL QB - guys who have already shown something - like Collaros or Tate or Mitchell (i think the Stamps protect him), or maybe Lefevour (i think this guy has some real CFL ability); and forget about an aging, mediocre Glenn or an ancient Calvilo; abd the Argos might be quite fine with Harris as their future QB, though i really hope they can hang on to Collaros somehow.

AngeloV
08-20-2013, 10:31 PM

Count me in the group that feels Collaros will not be back next season, but I believe Josh Portis will pass Harris on the depth chart.

bluto
08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
The reason to trade Collaros would be because he is not likely to fit in the Argos future plans - given Ray as the starter for a few more years anyways, AND Collaros wanting a chance to start somewhere else so he`s bound to flee anywaysÉ

I would not be opposed to trading Collaros, IF the Argos are getting help they need to better chances of going to and winning the GC this year (back to back would sure be nice), plus some future help maybe ... Collaros to the Bombers for the Argos pick of one or maybe 2 of their top defensive players (area of Argo need now IMO), plus a first or 2nd round draft pick thrown in. Not sure the Bombers would go for this (Argo fans may rate Collaros higher than some CFL thinkers), but they might bite on such terms.

The new Ottawa team would be smart to go with a good young gun CFL QB - guys who have already shown something - like Collaros or Tate or Mitchell (i think the Stamps protect him), or maybe Lefevour (i think this guy has some real CFL ability); and forget about an aging, mediocre Glenn or an ancient Calvilo; abd the Argos might be quite fine with Harris as their future QB, though i really hope they can hang on to Collaros somehow.

i don't know what other teams' management thinks about ZC, but the fan opinions have been almost universally positive regarding his current level as well as his upside. you'd reckon a team like Winnipeg, Ottawa (or Montreal, who likely won't have AC next season) would have to see him as an upgrade.

the thing is, he isn't valuable as a trade commodity simply owing to his contract status. any GM who deals for him now runs the very real risk of losing him on Feb 15. you'd have to be crazy to give up good football assets for that when you could just wait until the 15th... or better yet, go for a drink with his agent and tamper the hell out of him.

Count me in the group that feels Collaros will not be back next season, but I believe Josh Portis will pass Harris on the depth chart.

you've piqued my curiosity, Ang... what are you seeing/feeling here that makes you lean that way?

AngeloV
08-21-2013, 02:08 PM
you've piqued my curiosity, Ang... what are you seeing/feeling here that makes you lean that way?

He easily hs the strongest arm on the team, and also has very good mobility. He was a somewhat late addition to camp (as was Collaros last year). Add in the fact that I don't think Harris is anything special, and I think he will pass him on the depth chart next year.

argolio
08-22-2013, 12:41 AM
I agree that Portis eventually passing Harris is a good possibility, and I wonder if Mitchell Gale might do the same next year. I only went to camp once this year but he didn't look out of place.

tennyis
08-25-2013, 01:08 PM
well he's not going anywhere now lol.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8