PDA

View Full Version : Most spectacular season by an Argonaut player

Will
02-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I would go with Greer's 1983 season because the 2,003 yards was in 16 games, and 2,000 yards by a receiver is a very rare feat.

argonaut11xx
02-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Terry Greer was nothing short of amazing...but what Holloway did in 1982 was like watching MAGIC...if not for the rain in the second half of the 1982 Grey Cup, (Jim Germany won that game for Edmonton)..Holloway would have had back to back Grey Cups....

Greer would be my second choice, and Flutie my third

paulwoods13
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Greer for sure. Holloway's fantastic 1982 season was magical because it revived a dormant franchise, has been surpassed statistically by Flutie, Allen and even Kerwin Bell. Nothing can top 2,003 yards receiving in 16 games, IMO, not to mention how many 100- and 200-yard games Greer had that year even against a lot of double coverage.

Surprised to see James Curry on the list. Twenty-two sacks is an impressive number but I certainly don't recall him being a truly dominant force that year. Bruce Clark was a way more ferocious pass rusher in 1980 but had the misfortune of playing before sacks were recorded as an official stat. I'm just about positive Clark had six in a single home game I attended that year against B.C. Maybe argonaut87 or whoever it is that has access to the Star's archives could find the coverage of that game to confirm or refute my memory.

Will
02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Greer for sure. Holloway's fantastic 1982 season was magical because it revived a dormant franchise, has been surpassed statistically by Flutie, Allen and even Kerwin Bell. Nothing can top 2,003 yards receiving in 16 games, IMO, not to mention how many 100- and 200-yard games Greer had that year even against a lot of double coverage.

Surprised to see James Curry on the list. Twenty-two sacks is an impressive number but I certainly don't recall him being a truly dominant force that year. Bruce Clark was a way more ferocious pass rusher in 1980 but had the misfortune of playing before sacks were recorded as an official stat. I'm just about positive Clark had six in a single home game I attended that year against B.C. Maybe argonaut87 or whoever it is that has access to the Star's archives could find the coverage of that game to confirm or refute my memory.

I felt a little pressure to put a defensive player on there. It's the 13 GP that really caught my eye with Curry's 1984 season.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer sure I get access to the Star archives through my library card. I can still see articles from the Star on the Argos through a database, however I can't seem to access anything on Bruce Clark's time as an Argonaut or much material from earlier than the 1980's.

ArgoGabe22
02-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Don't forget Dave Mann 1960 season. Over 1000 yards receiving, 13 tds, 217 yards rushing + 1 td, 91 points from kicking, 43.9 yard punt average and 29.3 kick return average. Hands down the most versatile player and that's why he gets my vote.

1argoholic
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I couldn't pick. I did love watching many of those. Mookie was pretty great as was Greer. Too difficult to vote on just one.

argonaut11xx
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Greer was AWESOME...but Holloway was throwing him the ball (when he wasnt hurt)....

So..Condredge even gets kudo's on a vote for Greer......

Will
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Greer was AWESOME...but Holloway was throwing him the ball (when he wasnt hurt)....

So..Condredge even gets kudo's on a vote for Greer......

In 1985, Greer caught 78 passes for 1,323 yards and that was the season where Condredge was hurt for most of the year and the back-ups weren't nearly as good as Joe Barnes was. As good a connection as Holloway-Greer was, I don't think that Terry entirely needed Condredge to succeed. Also, the fact that #7 was injured or O'Billovich opted to go with Barnes is exactly was hurts Holloway in this poll. He was either splitting time with Barnes, Watts or was injured for most of his Argo tenure aside from 1982.

backer@oldclarke
02-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I voted in the other catagory; Bill Symons in 1968 had a great season, rushed the ball for 1107 yards (6.7 yds. per carry) 44 pass receptions and scored 11 touchdowns. Symons was the first Argo to rush for 1000 yards in a season and in 1969 followed up with 904 yards rushing. Back then it was a 14 game season in the East.

R.J
02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Actually harder than I thought to chose one, but I ended up going with Pinball, he was a yards eating machine, and did it for multiple seasons.

gilthethrill
02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
How about Robert Drummonds great season where he would have rushed for 1,000 & received for 1,000? But he sat out the last 2 games of the season due to injury....either 96 or 97 season.

Will
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
How about Robert Drummond great season where he would have rushed for 1,000 & received for 1,000? But he sat out the last 2 games of the season due to injury....either 96 or 97 season.

It was the 1997 season where Drummond was on pace for 1,000/1,000. I know he missed a 46-3 win over BC at the Dome, but Pinball filled in admirably.

gilthethrill
02-10-2012, 05:00 PM
It was the 1997 season where Drummond was on pace for 1,000/1,000. I know he missed a 46-3 win over BC at the Dome, but Pinball filled in admirably.

Thanks agrofan87!! Good memory for a guy who was only 10 at the time....

Will
02-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks agrofan87!! Good memory for a guy who was only 10 at the time....

It's more looking up the stuff on the Toronto Star archives rather than memory. Only made it to the east final in '97.

gilthethrill
02-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Yes, I too was in attendance...

Nob
02-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey folks. I'm new here, and unfortunately I am a transplanted southwestern Ontario boy stuck out here in Vancouver. However, you can take the boy out of Ontario, but you can't take the Argonauts out of the boy.

I love this question. A lot of great memories here. I loved Terry Terrific! But what Holloway did in 82 made him my all-time favourite Argo, ever. he brought that team from gawd-awful to fun to watch again. Of course the run-and-shoot system was great to watch, but Holloway made it work.

But then again, without Greer......??? Let's not forget the other backs and receivers that made the run and shoot work - Minter, Pearson, Tolbert, Newman.......wow......why can't we get a receiving corps like that again?

I guess we will see how it works this year - we have the star QB, but no receivers.........

ArgoRavi
02-10-2012, 07:31 PM
This was a tough decision but I ultimately had to go with Greer and his 2003 yards which was an incredible feat in a 16 game season. Flutie's outstanding 1997 season is my second choice with Holloway's magical 1982 season a close third.

OV Argo
02-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Lots of very fine choices - especially on the offensive side - great receiving seasons by the likes of Greer, DK Smith and Mookie Mitchell; Holloway and Flutie at QB; Pinball as the multi-purpose threat with all those combined yards might get my vote. I like some of the other great seasons also brought up in this thread - Symons had a great year at RB; and that Dave Mann all-around season - wow - what a diverse talent! And Dick Shatto was my first Argo hero - great RB who had big production as both a ball carrier & receiver (1602 yards from scrimmage in 1960 - in a 14 game sched. !!!)

On the defensive side - not a lot of readily available stats as a lot of the numbers like tackles, sacks, forced & recovered fumbles were not kept way back - I'll bet guys like Marv Luster or Jim Corigall had superb D stat years in their primes; Paul mentioned Bruce Clark who was a real force in his brief Argo time; Kevin Eiben had a couple of great years on D; special one year wonder for me was the rookie season by Argo MLB Sam Cjianovich (sp?) circa mid 70s - i think he had at least 6 INTs (for a MLB = off the charts) and seemed to be all over the field making tackles and plays - didn't last that long as an Argo / in the CFL - thought he was a sure-fire future superstar after that rookie season, but didn't pan out that way. And how about Paul Bennett - superb rookie season: on D with lots of play-making, plus also one of the best punt returners in the league - right up there IMO with Dave Mann and Pinball for a great, diverse play-making season.

AngeloV
02-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Holloway and Greer may be my 2 favourite players of all time, but it really is hard not to call Flutie's season the most spectacular of all time. He dominated the game like no other in all the years I've been watching football. Not only did he pass for 5500+ yards and 47 td's, he also rushed for over 500 yards and 5 more td's.

ArgoRavi
02-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Holloway and Greer may be my 2 favourite players of all time, but it really is hard not to call Flutie's season the most spectacular of all time. He dominated the game like no other in all the years I've been watching football. Not only did he pass for 5500+ yards and 47 td's, he also rushed for over 500 yards and 5 more td's.

Part of the issue with Flutie is his own greatness. Those were his usual numbers and I think that some of us, myself included, take them for granted. However, you are correct that those are phenomenal numbers. It truly is a shame that he wasn't appreciated more by Torontonians while he was an Argo.

OV Argo
02-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Part of the issue with Flutie is his own greatness. Those were his usual numbers and I think that some of us, myself included, take them for granted. However, you are correct that those are phenomenal numbers. It truly is a shame that he wasn't appreciated more by Torontonians while he was an Argo.

QB is the key star position in football; Flutie was in his prime with the Argos - and put up awesome stats, plus led the team to back to back GC wins - don't get much better than that.

Still - i think i'm more impressed by Pinball's huge yardage numbers season - rushing, receiving, punt returns, KO returns ?; or Dave Mann's all-around contributions - star receiver and star kicker - how many points did the guy score that season?; and again i say - Paul Bennett - all-star DB and league leading punt returner in one season?

ArgoZ
02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
When Flutie hit Massoti for the Argos first win, the team became unstoppable. I expected them to win every week because of one player. Highlights included 6 TD's in one game, including to OL Jeremy O'Day. The Argos assembled a great team, but without Flutie, it doesn't click. The sideline out to Massotti, the shovel to Drummond, the screen to Pinball and the hook to Mookie were staples.

Even if you forget stat's, no one dominated the league like he did those years. If the line broke down, he would just scramble for 10 or more. If the game was on the line, which didn't happen much, you just knew they were going to win. Go back to that time and remember how you felt going into every game. We had the greatest CFL player and were going to win. Flutie not winning this poll is crazy.

bluto
02-11-2012, 11:15 AM
i somehow read past Flutie in the poll and clicked Greer.

Greer's season was monster and one of the best Argo memories from my childhood... but if i was able to take my vote and move it to Flutie i would. #2 wasn't just the best QB i've ever seen in our league, he's the best player.

argolio
02-11-2012, 03:41 PM
All good choices.

I'll give the defense some love and nominate cornerback Eric Harris and his great year on a not-great Argo team in 1977, and my sentimental choice Carl Brazley who stood out on a not-great Argo team in 1985.

I was looking at some old Argo media guides, and a receiver named Al Pfeiffer had a great year in 1955. QB Nobby Wirkowski put up some pretty good numbers in the early 50's. Receiver Bobby Taylor had some fine seasons in the late 60's (68 was his best I think). And Jim Rountree had a ton of interceptions one year (1960?).

And because he later coached the Ticats, I totally discount Al Bruno's big year with the Argos!

ArgoRavi
02-11-2012, 06:46 PM
And because he later coached the Ticats, I totally discount Al Bruno's big year with the Argos!

Didn't Bruno have a TD reception for the Argos in the '52 Grey Cup?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8