PDA

View Full Version : Rob ford vs hulk hogan

Rocket
08-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Just wondering who people are picking for the arm wrestle fight tmrw? My pick is hulk hogan!

Argo57
08-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Rob Ford has been saying his prayers and eating his vitamins!!!

Midnight Blue
08-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Being a Conservative, I'm voting for Mayor Rob Ford. Of course, he may have to kick Hulk Hogan in the nuts under the table during the match, to even out the odds.

Ka' Pla !

Will
08-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Hulk Hogan will get some sort of creative control over his character and insist that he go over in the arm wrestling match.

Rocket
08-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Rob Ford has been saying his prayers and eating his vitamins!!!

Yeah but it sounds like he is smoking a lot of crack to!

Will
08-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Yeah but it sounds like he is smoking a lot of crack to!

If the allegations are indeed true he would have fit in with plenty of people in the WWF locker room in the 1980's.

Rocket
08-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Hulk Hogan will get some sort of creative control over his character and insist that he go over in the arm wrestling match.

The hulkster always gets creative control brother!

Will
08-22-2013, 10:23 PM

World Championship Wrestling is aware of this, which is why they no longer exist.

Rocket
08-22-2013, 10:29 PM
World Championship Wrestling is aware of this, which is why they no longer exist.

Yeah well tell that to tna brother!

Will
08-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Yeah well tell that to tna brother!

I heard that promotion had some positive momentum going for it until Hogan got involved.

Midnight Blue
08-22-2013, 10:32 PM

Hence the suggested under-table kick, to the lower-mid-upper-lower body area !

James Bond would have subtly grabbed the roast-carving double-edged fork, and stuck Hogan quietly, under the table, but as much as I like Rob Ford, he has not yet reached 007 potential.

Though he'd be GREAT in a 007 parody/comedy, after he retires from his political career !

Ka' Pla !

Rocket
08-22-2013, 10:33 PM
This match is kinda reminding me of wrestlemania 2 with hulk hogan against King Kong bundy!

Rocket
08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
I heard that promotion had some positive momentum going for it until Hogan got involved.

The hulkster is always a draw remember the 93,000 at the Pontiac silver dome or skydome with 68,000 or exhibition with 66,000! But yeah you might be right with hogan not always doing the job what is good for the business!

Will
08-22-2013, 10:37 PM
This match is kinda reminding me of wrestlemania 2 with hulk hogan against King Kong bundy!

I kind of enjoyed that match even though the rest of that card was pretty bad (aside from the Bulldogs/Dream Team).

Rocket
08-22-2013, 10:45 PM
I kind of enjoyed that match even though the rest of that card was pretty bad (aside from the Bulldogs/Dream Team).

What about the battle of royal nfl players vs wwf or mr.t vs roddy piper

Midnight Blue
08-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Helluva game between BC and Montreal, wot?

Mayor Ford (0047) takes out a Russian spy-camera (no doubt from the soviet era), at Toronto City Hall:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b1d_1366150119

Will
08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
What about the battle of royal nfl players vs wwf or mr.t vs roddy piper

Mr. T and Roddy Piper in a boxing match was a mess. The crowd in Uniondale got a pretty bad card in their four matches. Randy Savage against George Steele are you kidding me? Also, the double countout in the Orndorff/Muraco match was a pretty poor booking decision in my opinion.

The battle royale in Chicago with the NFL players wasn't bad, but not enough to make up for a lacklustre card.

Rocket
08-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Mr. T and Roddy Piper in a boxing match was a mess. The crowd in Uniondale got a pretty bad card in their four matches. Randy Savage against George Steele are you kidding me? Also, the double countout in the Orndorff/Muraco match was a pretty poor booking decision in my opinion.

The battle royale in Chicago with the NFL players wasn't bad, but not enough to make up for a lacklustre card.

True enough that mania was probealy one of the weakest ones they had! Personal favorite wrestlemania would be in order 6,17,10,4,3

LLB997
08-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Ford cannot get anything right. The media asked him today about arm wrestling Hogan and Ford says " This is going to be great, I loved hulk Hogan growing up , ooooohhh yeahhhhhhh" . Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't oooooh yeahhhh, the macho mans catch phrase?

Rocket
08-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Ford cannot get anything right. The media asked him today about arm wrestling Hogan and Ford says " This is going to be great, I loved hulk Hogan growing up , ooooohhh yeahhhhhhh" . Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't oooooh yeahhhh, the macho mans catch phrase?

Lol yeah mayor ford can't get anything right these days!

Midnight Blue
08-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Actually, I was into Wrestling when I was younger. But then I had a wee puff of the good stuff, and I thought: this isn't quite real. Full disclosure: I never exhaled. Nevertheless, I'd love to check out some wrestling in the future, when hung-over. Is it ever on TV?

Will
08-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Actually, I was into Wrestling when I was younger. But then I had a wee puff of the good stuff, and I thought: this isn't quite real. Full disclosure: I never exhaled. Nevertheless, I'd love to check out some wrestling in the future, when hung-over. Is it ever on TV?

Yes, the WWE (formerly WWF) has TV shows on Monday Night (RAW) and Friday Night (Smackdown), but depending on your age the product has changed completely and totally.

Midnight Blue
08-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Yes, the WWE (formerly WWF) has TV shows on Monday Night (RAW) and Friday Night (Smackdown), but depending on your age the product has changed completely and totally.

Cool. Thanks.

...but depending on your age the product has changed completely and totally.

Are you talking about smoke, or Wrestling? (Just kidding.)

Being closer to Fifty than to Forty, I remember The Sheik, and the sleeper hold. Do they still allow that?

Ka' Pla !

Will
08-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Sleeper hold or variations of that maneuver are still around, but even moves like the DDT that were considered devastating in the 1980's aren't finishing moves anymore.

When did you stop watching wrestling? If it was before 1984 and you have paid no attention since you wouldn't recognize it.

Midnight Blue
08-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Sleeper hold or variations of that maneuver are still around, but even moves like the DDT that were considered devastating in the 1980's aren't finishing moves anymore.

When did you stop watching wrestling? If it was before 1984 and you have paid no attention since you wouldn't recognize it.

Yeah, probably before '74, or soon afterwards. I'll look forward to catching it on TV.

What about the 'gatchi' lift, and slam into the corner post? Has wrestling become politically correct?

Cheers !

Will
08-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Never heard of a 'gatchi' lift.

Has wrestling become politically correct? Lately it has become what people have termed more "PG," but from 1996 until about oh let's say 2003 it was anything by PC.

Midnight Blue
08-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Never heard of a 'gatchi' lift.

Has wrestling become politically correct? Lately it has become what people have termed more "PG," but from 1996 until about oh let's say 2003 it was anything by PC.

I remember wrestlers being lifted by their 'shorts' from the rear (with another hand going lower, for leverage) and being flipped over backwards into the corner post. Or maybe I imagined it. But thanks for all of the insights!

Much appreciated !

Ka' Pla !

Will
08-22-2013, 11:50 PM
I should also add that since the discussion is about Hulk Hogan that he is one of the personalities who has transcended both eras. Vince McMahon used him as the primary character to help propel the WWF into a national promotion in the mid-1980's. But, once the product started getting edgier in 1996 the WCW used "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan as one of the primary characters there. However, there were real-life backstage politics that Hogan was involved in that contributed to the demise of WCW in 2001.

Midnight Blue
08-23-2013, 12:01 AM
I should also add that since the discussion is about Hulk Hogan that he is one of the personalities who has transcended both eras. Vince McMahon used him as the primary character to help propel the WWF into a national promotion in the mid-1980's. But, once the product started getting edgier in 1996 the WCW used "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan as one of the primary characters there. However, there were real-life backstage politics that Hogan was involved in that contributed to the demise of WCW in 2001.

Cool. Thanks again for all of the info !

Ka' Pla !

Midnight Blue
08-23-2013, 12:07 AM
BTW, thanks to the Administrators/Moderators for finding a way to extend the 'New Posts' section to cover the last day's posts. Before it was just the last 4-5 posts. This was mentioned and attempted before, and thanks for finding a way. Much appreciated. Oh and I promise to behave. If I can.

Ka' Pla !

Will
08-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Hulk Hogan nevertheless probably remains a very popular figure in Toronto. I know Ron was at Wrestlemania 18 where he fought The Rock. Hogan was supposed to be the heel (bad guy) in that match, but ended up being cheered by the Toronto crowd who likely hadn't seen him locally since the early 1990's. The ovation he got in Montreal the next night is pretty well known in wrestling circles as well.

Rocket
08-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Hulk Hogan nevertheless probably remains a very popular figure in Toronto. I know Ron was at Wrestlemania 18 where he fought The Rock. Hogan was supposed to be the heel (bad guy) in that match, but ended up being cheered by the Toronto crowd who likely hadn't seen him locally since the early 1990's. The ovation he got in Montreal the next night is pretty well known in wrestling circles as well.

Don't forget about wrestlemania 6 vs the ultimate warrior,and the big event at exhibition stadium against Paul ordorff. Hulkamaina will live forever in toronto!

Will
08-23-2013, 12:22 AM
That crowd in 1990 had plenty of support for The Ultimate Warrior as well. In 1986 the Big Event was indeed a big event drawing 64,000 people to Exhibition Stadium on a cold August evening. I've read somewhere that this is what gave Vince McMahon the idea to start putting Wrestlemania in larger arenas.

Midnight Blue
08-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Found this on the after-choices, after the Mayor Ford video; the old KGB, would never tolerate this behavior, from their combat-divers...

And as always, the "Full-Screen" option shows it best.

Bloody Russians...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=430_1229968615

(http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=430_1229968615)

Rocket
08-23-2013, 12:28 AM
That crowd in 1990 had plenty of support for The Ultimate Warrior as well. In 1986 the Big Event was indeed a big event drawing 64,000 people to Exhibition Stadium on a cold August evening. I've read somewhere that this is what gave Vince McMahon the idea to start putting Wrestlemania in larger arenas.

I remember hogan wrestling at the gardens a couple of times I went to see him. One was against the earthquake and the other against sgt slaughter.and I think he wrestled ddp one time at the acc.

Will
08-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Yeah, Maple Leaf Gardens used to have cards every three weeks I think in the WWF's peak in the 1980's. Jack Tunney, the local promoter, used to be part of Jim Crockett's network, but for some reason that quality of talent that Crockett would send to work the MLG shows had diminished in the early 1980's for reasons that escape me. Therefore, the Tunney's made the decision to exclusively promote WWF talent. This was in the summer of 1984 I believe. Hogan wouldn't be here every card obviously, but the box office got a big boost whenever he showed up. Tunney was the on-screen president of the WWF from 1986 to 1995 I believe before the WWF phased him and MLG out of the picture. Toronto is one of the WWE's prime markets, but with the way the WWE schedule works now you get one card a year in Toronto.

EDIT: The reason Jim Crockett Promotions wouldn't send top-flight talent to work MLG house shows was the beginning of the national expansion of the WWF.

Rocket
08-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah, Maple Leaf Gardens used to have cards every three weeks I think in the WWF's peak in the 1980's. Jack Tunney, the local promoter, used to be part of Jim Crockett's network, but for some reason that quality of talent that Crockett would send to work the MLG shows had diminished in the early 1980's for reasons that escape me. Therefore, the Tunney's made the decision to exclusively promote WWF talent. This was in the summer of 1984 I believe. Hogan wouldn't be here every card obviously, but the box office got a big boost whenever he showed up. Tunney was the on-screen president of the WWF from 1986 to 1995 I believe before the WWF phased him and MLG out of the picture. Toronto is one of the WWE's prime markets.

Yeah right next with Chicago,new York city are probealy the most popular places for the wwf. Everytime they had a ppv or a big tv show it would sell out. Surprised that the wwf doesn't come up here more often to do there shows!

Will
08-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah right next with Chicago,new York city are probealy the most popular places for the wwf. Everytime they had a ppv or a big tv show it would sell out. Surprised that the wwf doesn't come up here more often to do there shows!

It is just the way the WWE works nowadays. Back in the 1980's there were sometimes as many as three cards going on one day! On weekends from what I understand some wrestlers would work two cards in one day (a matinee and a evening show), also the WWF's market has expanded. They are a global promotion now who will also take the time to visit each region of the United States. Add to that the fact they aren't doing as many cards anymore that means that prime markets don't get visited as often as they used to, but also remember that back in the 1980's your TV wasn't as big as it is now. I mean RAW and Smackdown are still there to get you to go to that houseshow or buy that PPV, but in the 1980's the house show was where things were really at where you got to see the superstar vs. superstar instead of Jake Roberts versus Salvatore Bellomo, which is what you got on TV.

Midnight Blue
08-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Gotta love those DEEP Russian voices at the end of the splash ice video. Being of Ukrainian ancestry, and learning to speak Ukrainian and English simultanoeusly as I grew up, I can still do the DEEP accent. Four years of German in High School didn't hurt either...

"Nice to meet you ... how about a light?"

--Arnold Schwartzenegger, from one of his movies.

He them proceeds to take out the bad guys, with a flame-thrower....

Ka' Pla !

Rocket
08-23-2013, 12:52 AM
It is just the way the WWE works nowadays. Back in the 1980's there were sometimes as many as three cards going on one day! On weekends from what I understand some wrestlers would work two cards in one day (a matinee and a evening show), also the WWF's market has expanded. They are a global promotion now who will also take the time to visit each region of the United States. Add to that the fact they aren't doing as many cards anymore that means that prime markets don't get visited as often as they used to, but also remember that back in the 1980's your TV wasn't as big as it is now. I mean RAW and Smackdown are still there to get you to go to that houseshow or buy that PPV, but in the 1980's the house show was where things were really at where you got to see the superstar vs. superstar instead of Jake Roberts versus Salvatore Bellomo, which is what you got on TV.

Do you remember when the Argo players came out with the wrestlers at exhibition stadium for a match. I think it was somewhere in 95-97 era Shawn micheals was fighting mankind!

Will
08-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Do you remember when the Argo players came out with the wrestlers at exhibition stadium for a match. I think it was somewhere in 95-97 era Shawn micheals was fighting mankind!

Yeah I do. It was pretty early in my wrestling interest though. I think Ahmed Johnson and Faarooq were involved with that.

Will
08-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Rob Ford won apparently.

Rocket
08-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Rob Ford won apparently.

Yeah the bulk beat the hulk!

294life
08-23-2013, 07:09 PM
'The sun was in my eyes' says the hulk. Hate when that happens indoors

argos1873
08-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Congrats Rob Ford. Just like pro wrestling, I'm sure it was all real. :)

Rocket
08-24-2013, 01:46 AM
It seems like hulk hogan has no luck in toronto first losing to ultimate warrior then the rock and now rob ford!

AngeloV
08-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Well, I'm sure the result didn't matter. The most important thing is they probably went in back somewhere and did a line together after the tapes stopped rolling.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8