PDA

View Full Version : New crazy rule for me at Roger Center

ArgoRedneck
08-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Here's a new one that pissed me off. 9 of us get dropped off at lower main ticket area and wanted to use the washroom (BAD), hit the Jays store, and get food from a vendor only located on the 100 level. All our tickets were on the 200 level. When we got inside the door and presented are tickets we were told we could not go in on the 100 level and to go up the stairs outside and enter on the 200 level and then go back down to the 100 level. It only took 5 extra min but what a pain in the ass and makes no sense.

ArgoGabe22
08-24-2013, 11:20 AM
It's not new to me. I once wanted to go to team store and when I returned to the 200 level the doors were locked and security wasn't very happy to open the door. I did the same thing last night as the small vendors did not carry any of the retro merchandise (which was disappointing btw), luckily one of the doors was left open.

Rocket
08-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Rogers centre security is the worse! Can't stand any of them who work for Rogers.

Argo57
08-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Same thing for me, almost seems once you are on the 200 level you are trapped, for some reason they won't let you use the ramps between levels, we were told to use the elevators then we got the interrogation when we returned to the 200 level total bunch of ***holes at that place!!!

shayman
08-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Do they still ban flagpoles? There was a Stamps fan waving a flag on a pole up by us last night. If that's now OK I'd sure like to see more Argo flags.

ArgoGabe22
08-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Do they still ban flagpoles? There was a Stamps fan waving a flag on a pole up by us last night. If that's now OK I'd sure like to see more Argo flags.

I've seen a few Argos flags last night. One in my section and one down below in the 100's.

flafson
08-24-2013, 05:14 PM
You could use the elevator, i used one last week and i could pretty much go anywhere with it.

ArgoRedneck
08-24-2013, 05:24 PM
You could use the elevator, i used one last week and i could pretty much go anywhere with it.

Thanks for the tip. But why not just go in on the 100 level right where at the time the closest washroom was then to Quaker Steak and then to the jays shop then up the elevator to our seats? Its like having a walkout basement and wanting a beer from the bar in the basement but instead of going in through the basement entrance you have to go in the front door then down the stairs to get one.

flafson
08-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I don't know but they tend to be guarding the stairs while the nice lady at the elevator will take you to any floor you want.

tennyis
08-25-2013, 01:14 PM
I brought $500 cash to the game to buy a new jersey for myself, and son as well as some retro stuff. We live a few hours away and there is NO argos merch available here.

We had 200 level tickets and where told we couldn't go down to the 100 level at all. The only place to buy merchandise didn't have what we where looking for. I took all my money home... $500 in loss sales.

Deerkeeper
08-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I brought $500 cash to the game to buy a new jersey for myself, and son as well as some retro stuff. We live a few hours away and there is NO argos merch available here.

We had 200 level tickets and where told we couldn't go down to the 100 level at all. The only place to buy merchandise didn't have what we where looking for. I took all my money home... $500 in loss sales.Did you contact the Argos directly about your problems?

ArgoFan1
08-25-2013, 07:15 PM
There have been restrictions in place between the two levels from day one. Otherwise, people will just go up and sit wherever they like, or vice-versa. I have had to go from one to the other a few times and just try my luck at getting a passer-by to open the door for me. I wanted one of the retro tee shirts but did not want the hassle of getting down to the 100 level in during the game and decided to wait until the end of the game, however, there was nothing left when I got there.

Argo57
08-25-2013, 07:31 PM
At the very least for Fridays game they should have had a good selection of "retro" merchandise at the smaller kiosks.

ArgoRedneck
08-25-2013, 07:41 PM
There have been restrictions in place between the two levels from day one. Otherwise, people will just go up and sit wherever they like, or vice-versa. I have had to go from one to the other a few times and just try my luck at getting a passer-by to open the door for me. I wanted one of the retro tee shirts but did not want the hassle of getting down to the 100 level in during the game and decided to wait until the end of the game, however, there was nothing left when I got there.

I have always gone from 200 to 100 no problem and back up no problem. Take the elevator or tell them your kids are on the 100 level. Never been stopped or asked. They can't stop you. People can sit anywhere they want at any time no matter what level as long as they are not in someones seat????? 100 end zone can move to 100 gold. 200 silver can move to 200 gold or plat. Point was why was I told I had to go in at the 200 level then take stairs back down? I guess because its been like that from day one I will accept it and not worry about it.

ArgoFan1
08-25-2013, 10:41 PM
I was giving my story without knowledge of the elevator. I have seen the elevator but never even thought about using it.
I can't see Rogers allowing people to move about freely. After all, that is why you pay different rates for different areas. Much easier to roam around when the seats are not filled, obviously.

argofandave
08-26-2013, 12:47 AM
I've had season tickets on the 200 level since 1995 and for the first few years I would go down to the 100 level before each game just to check out every souvenir booth then go back to the 200 level without any problems. Then one time, security stopped me and I told him that I've been doing this for years without any problems. He thought that I was trying to sneak into a 100 level seat and I just told him that the view is better on the 200 level so why would I pay for a 200 level seat and try to sit in the 100 level. We argued for a bit and he actually got a police officer involved in the situation. Security finally let me into the 100 level if I gave him my driver's licence so he could be sure that I would go back to the 200 level.

flafson
08-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Yea, i also don't understand that part, 200 level is better than 100 level, so why would they prevent people going there? I'd understand the other way around though...

ArgoRedneck
08-26-2013, 08:02 AM
All good points. That's why I was pissed and confused. Makes no sense. It was even worse for me and another one because they scanned two of our tickets, then would not let us in told to go in at 200 level. Then get to 200 level and they see our tickets were already scanned. They tried to stop me but told them I was a season ticket holder and they scanned it at the 100 level and then would not let me in. Just kept walking like I owned the place and they just looked at me and did nothing.

Will
08-26-2013, 09:20 AM
They are supposed to let you go to the 100 level to the 200 level to go to the Budweiser Patio that is in the old spot occupied by Windows Restaurant. A friend schooled one of the Rogers Centre security guys on that. The kid working the ramp had no idea. Apparently they are also supposed to let you go from level to level for the purpose of purchasing food or visiting the store. It is likely (like my friend's situation) that this Rogers kid had no knowledge of the policies.

T-Bone
08-26-2013, 10:33 AM
People can sit anywhere they want at any time no matter what level as long as they are not in someones seat????? 100 end zone can move to 100 gold. 200 silver can move to 200 gold or plat.
I don't know what gave you that impression but you can not sit wherever you feel like.

They are supposed to let you go to the 100 level to the 200 level to go to the Budweiser Patio that is in the old spot occupied by Windows Restaurant. A friend schooled one of the Rogers Centre security guys on that. The kid working the ramp had no idea. Apparently they are also supposed to let you go from level to level for the purpose of purchasing food or visiting the store. It is likely (like my friend's situation) that this Rogers kid had no knowledge of the policies.
Correct. This is a new rule this year with the opening of the Budweiser Patio. Anyone can go from the 100 level or the 500 level to the 200 level patio. It appears they removed the Rogers Centre A-Z link on the Jays website but using Google I was able to find the 2011 version of the book (http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/ballpark/a_z_guide.jsp). This was the official rule:

Ramps
There are eight ramps located throughout Rogers Centre that
allow for access to and from entrance and exit ways, and the
100, 200 and 500 levels. Access to different levels can be limited
based on seat location as printed on guests’ tickets.

The Rogers Centre guards are undertrained and many of them seem to have aditude problems. I'm sure turnover in those positions is quite high. In the case that argofan87 is mentioning our friend went from the 100 level to the 200 level. When the guard told him he couldn't go to the 200 level with a 100 level ticket our friend told him to call his supervisor. He said he didn't have a radio to call his supervisor so our friend said he would wait for him to go and get him physically then. The guard then pulled out his handbook which I assume has the above rule but our friend pointed to the amendment to the rule in brackets below at which point the guard was deflated and had no further argument. I highly recommend people just be polite and ask for guards supervisors if they don't let you go to where it is you want to go. It's a bit of a pain but in the end it's the only way these guards will learn.

BATKINSON001
08-26-2013, 11:46 AM
I am getting tired of their crap. all year long the ramps have been closed for argos games. all they have to do is block the ramps to the 300-500 levels and keep the 100-200 ones open, but they wont do that as it would make too much sense.

ArgoGabe22
08-26-2013, 12:39 PM
You can keep the 100s from going up to 200s easily. Firstly security at the door can ask for your ticket and secondly the ushers at seats usually ask to see tickets as well. A pain yes but it only takes 2 sec to show your ticket. I will force my way down to the shop if I have to, they can't tell you no especially when the gear wasn't available in the smaller kiosks. If so then I will then go down to the next ramp and so on.

shayman
08-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Not that this is really the ideal solution, but you can get to the big store from outside near gate 5 before or after the game. (I think. You used to be able to, but pre-game they would close the outside access close to kickoff time.)

ArgoRedneck
08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't know what gave you that impression but you can not sit wherever you feel like.

Correct. This is a new rule this year with the opening of the Budweiser Patio. Anyone can go from the 100 level or the 500 level to the 200 level patio. It appears they removed the Rogers Centre A-Z link on the Jays website but using Google I was able to find the 2011 version of the book (http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/ballpark/a_z_guide.jsp). This was the official rule:

The Rogers Centre guards are undertrained and many of them seem to have aditude problems. I'm sure turnover in those positions is quite high. In the case that argofan87 is mentioning our friend went from the 100 level to the 200 level. When the guard told him he couldn't go to the 200 level with a 100 level ticket our friend told him to call his supervisor. He said he didn't have a radio to call his supervisor so our friend said he would wait for him to go and get him physically then. The guard then pulled out his handbook which I assume has the above rule but our friend pointed to the amendment to the rule in brackets below at which point the guard was deflated and had no further argument. I highly recommend people just be polite and ask for guards supervisors if they don't let you go to where it is you want to go. It's a bit of a pain but in the end it's the only way these guards will learn.

Not a impression fact. I have Plat seats and see it all the time. Sometimes my friends from silver come over and we find an area with 6 seats, no issues. Sometimes I go to thier area and sit. If I bring my young daughter and her friends we sit in area close by ours but with a little more room for them to cheer like 6 year old girls do. As long as a seat is not purchased you can sit in it. 9000 empty seats a game and most are good. If you were talking about the ladies washroom, yeah I guess some of those seats are out.

T-Bone
08-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Not a impression fact. I have Plat seats and see it all the time. Sometimes my friends from silver come over and we find an area with 6 seats, no issues. Sometimes I go to thier area and sit. If I bring my young daughter and her friends we sit in area close by ours but with a little more room for them to cheer like 6 year old girls do. As long as a seat is not purchased you can sit in it. 9000 empty seats a game and most are good. If you were talking about the ladies washroom, yeah I guess some of those seats are out.
I meant from an official stand point since we were talking about rules here. Officially it's up to the ushers to enforce seating but practically you are correct, you can pretty much sit anywhere. I'm sure many people buy cheaper tickets and move.

Will
08-26-2013, 04:28 PM
For the Edmonton game I sat in 121 for a quarter and then I moved to 117 for the rest of the game and nobody said "boo." I've also sat in 112 or 113 for a quarter visiting friends and nobody has said "boo." I always look like I know what I'm doing or I wait until the ushers head down to the bottom of the section as they do during the half.

shayman
08-26-2013, 05:38 PM
If you're routinely moving to a more expensive seat, then you're cheating the Argos out of money. Are you OK with that?

ArgoRedneck
08-26-2013, 05:55 PM
If you're routinely moving to a more expensive seat, then you're cheating the Argos out of money. Are you OK with that?

Yes. I could stay home and watch on TV. You must think then that they cheat themselves and ST holders when they put tickets on Travel Zoo ect....Or give out free ones for a survey reply. We can pick up our ST's at the 1st game and save them money on courier delivery.

Side note: Other then field tickets I am at the top price range. I have no issue if people want to go to a game and see good empty seats and move into them.

Argo57
08-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Nobody who pays for tickets and actually shows the interest to show up at the stadium is cheating the team out of anything, whether you shift seats or not.

shayman
08-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Let's try this. Call up the Argos - or any other business - and say, "You have a $100 product. I'll give you $20 for it." If they say it's OK, then by all means, pay $20 for a $100 product. Both parties agree. It's on sale! No problem!

But if you just up and move to a better seat, you're doing it WITHOUT the consent of the vendor.

And that's not OK.

I realize there is a long tradition of moving to a better seat in sports. Doesn't make it right.

Argo57
08-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Let's try this. Call up the Argos - or any other business - and say, "You have a $100 product. I'll give you $20 for it." If they say it's OK, then by all means, pay $20 for a $100 product. Both parties agree. It's on sale! No problem!

But if you just up and move to a better seat, you're doing it WITHOUT the consent of the vendor.

And that's not OK.

I realize there is a long tradition of moving to a better seat in sports. Doesn't make it right.

Personally I sometimes do move to the top row in my section to sit alone with my family and I get your sentiment but I bet if you ask the team to choose between a "customer" that pays for a ticket and sometimes moves to a seat that is otherwise empty or simply not buying a ticket and staying home to watch the game I wonder which option they would prefer.

ArgoRedneck
08-26-2013, 10:11 PM

And that's not OK.

Friday there was 10 of us, sitting in 3 different areas. We decided to go to the standing area in the end zone my tickets were $101 x 2. Do they owe me money. Before the game could I trade them in for standing room and recieve a credit. Thats as silly as what you are saying.

You can't have it both ways.

And remember, only use the internet at work for bussiness and not personal or your robbing the company. Come on man are you for real.

shayman
08-26-2013, 10:40 PM
I am for real, thanks for asking, and this is an ethical dilemma that has been bugging me for years. Why is it OK to pay $20 but unilaterally decide to take a $100 product? Can you do that in a store? Can you go in to Loblaws and pay for ground beef but take home steak? Should Loblaws be happy you came to the store instead of staying at home? Does Air Canada let you move up to a business class seat just because it's empty? Of course not. Different products, different price points, you choose the one you like, you pay the agreed price.

So why is it different with tickets?

argolio
08-26-2013, 11:35 PM
ISo why is it different with tickets?Technically it's not, so it comes down to Air Canada strictly enforcing their seating policy while the Dome doesn't.

ArgoRedneck
08-27-2013, 07:06 AM
I am for real, thanks for asking, and this is an ethical dilemma that has been bugging me for years. Why is it OK to pay $20 but unilaterally decide to take a $100 product? Can you do that in a store? Can you go in to Loblaws and pay for ground beef but take home steak? Should Loblaws be happy you came to the store instead of staying at home? Does Air Canada let you move up to a business class seat just because it's empty? Of course not. Different products, different price points, you choose the one you like, you pay the agreed price.

Do I get a down grade credit when I sit in cheaper seats????? If I buy a product and its bad or I don't like it I can get a refund at Loblaws. If its a bad game can I get my money back? Thanks for the points, I will be calling the Argos for some money. Although I owe them from that time a friend with a silver ticket came and sat with me. I bet they laugh when I try and give them the money.

Like you said, why is it different with tickets?

T-Bone
08-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Do I get a down grade credit when I sit in cheaper seats????? If I buy a product and its bad or I don't like it I can get a refund at Loblaws. If its a bad game can I get my money back? Thanks for the points, I will be calling the Argos for some money. Although I owe them from that time a friend with a silver ticket came and sat with me. I bet they laugh when I try and give them the money.

Like you said, why is it different with tickets?

An ethical dilemma this is not and there really is nothing to debate here, the rules are clear. If people chooses to break the rules that is their choice. Personally I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as there are real ethical dilemmas in the world that are far more important.

shayman
08-27-2013, 09:23 AM
OK, hear me out, one last time, I promise, then I'll shut up and we can go back to talking about the real ethical dilemmas in the world that are far more important, such as "Should we send troops to Syria" or "How legit were the retro jerseys?" :-)

• You make a deal with the team. For $20, everyone agrees you can sit in seat X and watch the game. That's what you're paying for. The right to watch a game from a specific spot.
• You did not pay $100 to sit in seat Y
• If the team agrees, you can move to seat Y or buy a Y ticket for less than $100 (on sale, perhaps.) If the team agrees. Both parties have to agree.
• If you move to seat Y without the team agreeing, you are taking something without paying for it.
• In kindergarten we all learned that taking something without paying for it is wrong.
• Somehow - the part I don't get - it's different when we're talking about tickets.
• If your friend held the door open for you and let you in without paying, you would I hope agree that that's wrong, to pay $0
• What would happen if everybody did it? If everybody bought a $20 ticket knowing they could move to a $100 seat? (My wife says: "Well, it would look better on TV", and she does have a point.)

T-Bone
08-27-2013, 10:15 AM
OK, hear me out, one last time, I promise, then I'll shut up and we can go back to talking about the real ethical dilemmas in the world that are far more important, such as "Should we send troops to Syria" or "How legit were the retro jerseys?" :-)

• You make a deal with the team. For $20, everyone agrees you can sit in seat X and watch the game. That's what you're paying for. The right to watch a game from a specific spot.
• You did not pay $100 to sit in seat Y
• If the team agrees, you can move to seat Y or buy a Y ticket for less than $100 (on sale, perhaps.) If the team agrees. Both parties have to agree.
• If you move to seat Y without the team agreeing, you are taking something without paying for it.
• In kindergarten we all learned that taking something without paying for it is wrong.
• Somehow - the part I don't get - it's different when we're talking about tickets.
• If your friend held the door open for you and let you in without paying, you would I hope agree that that's wrong, to pay $0
• What would happen if everybody did it? If everybody bought a $20 ticket knowing they could move to a $100 seat? (My wife says: "Well, it would look better on TV", and she does have a point.)
I'm not disputing anything you have said regarding the rules. I would say downloading movies falls in to this category as well. What I don't agree with is that this is an ethical dilemma because we all know the rules therefore there really is nothing to debate. It's like someone jaywalking across the street, getting hit by a car and saying it's a tragedy. It sucks but I wouldn't say it's a tragedy as the rule is in place to prevent exactly that. Why someone chooses to break the rules is a separate topic.

ArgoRedneck
08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Shayman I know you are done with this, but you can't pick and choose what rules/policies you want to follow. Unless you follow ever rule/policy/law who are you to judge. If someone wants to sit in an empty seat its not a big deal. You are making it out like one is a thief.

In that same kindergarten class did they not also teach the basics of common sense?

I sure hope you never have a beer at a fan organized "tailgate" at an Argo game or in the Hammer. Not only are you breaking the law but you are taking money away from the local establishments. Its the same as the beef you have with a guy grabbing an open seat.

ArgoGabe22
08-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Am I the only one who agrees with Shayman? I don't want to get involved in a debate here but I want to let you know that I agree with everything you've pointed. The only movement that is fair IMO is when your row is empty and you spread yourselves out which isn't really a move.

T-Bone
08-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Am I the only one who agrees with Shayman? I don't want to get involved in a debate here but I want to let you know that I agree with everything you've pointed. The only movement that is fair IMO is when your row is empty and you spread yourselves out which isn't really a move.
It's not a debate, that's the point I've been trying to get across. If you don't sit in your assigned seat you're breaking the rules plain and simple. That is certainly not an ethical dilemma, it's a fact. You feel breaking those rules is wrong and you're entitled to that opinion just as shayman is. It is neither your job nor mine though to enforce those rules, that job belongs to Rogers Centre ushers and security. If they aren't doing their job well enough, it's up to the Argos to sort that out. Personally I sit in my seat the majority of the time but last game I had friends that got tickets through the fan survey. They moved to my section in the end zone so we could all sit together and I moved from the front row of my section to the back row of my section so we were all technically breaking the rules. If the stadium was full, people wouldn't have the opportunity to move around as much as they do now, so my point is the focus on enforcement of the rule is a lower priority in my opinion than many other issues.

Ron
08-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Going to sit in an empty seat and being allowed to stay there is the same thing as driving 105 kph on the highway and not getting a ticket from the cop you just passed.

Midnight Blue
08-28-2013, 01:12 AM
I suspect that people "pay what they can", when it comes to buying a ticket or tickets.

The ticket cost is only a part of the expense, obviously. Transportation, parking, food/beer.

And if one wants to party (drink) before and after the game, a taxi fare adds to it.

I have no problem with people buying the ticket(s) they can afford, and then "upgrading" at half-time if better seats are available.

Cheers !

flafson
08-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Tickets seem to be only half the cost to be honest.

tennyis
08-28-2013, 10:44 AM
I got bronze level seats and could see the game better then the home opener when I bought gold level seats... I will not be buying gold seats again thats for sure given the cost difference for a family of 5.

I didn't tell the Argos about what happened, never really thought of it to be honest. I'll just keep my money and pick up some Giants gear for the upcoming NFL season :)

flafson
08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
I got bronze level seats and could see the game better then the home opener when I bought gold level seats... I will not be buying gold seats again thats for sure given the cost difference for a family of 5.

I didn't tell the Argos about what happened, never really thought of it to be honest. I'll just keep my money and pick up some Giants gear for the upcoming NFL season :)

What happened?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8