View Full Version : OUA football scores week 1

AngeloV
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Western 50 Toronto 14
Windsor 78 Waterloo 11
Guelph 21 Laurier 7
Queen's 52 York 1
McMaster 51 Ottawa 24

4 disgustingly huge blowouts and 1 semi-close game. Unfortunately for many that want to see more CIS players playing prominent roles in the CFL, scores like this don't help. IMO, these types of games do little to battle test players for a move to the next level. And even more unfortunate, these types of games are becoming the norm rather than the exception.

I also did a tally of the margin of victories in the 103 CIS games (not including Bishop's forfeits for using an ineligible player) from last year. 43 of 103 games were decided by 24 or more points, while only 28 were decided by under 10 (there were 29 decided by over 30). That's not competitve enough no matter how you slice it.

We all marvel at the talents of many players coming through the Laval program, but playing against such inferior competition makes it a lot more difficult to compete in a pro camp. IMHO, this is the reason we rarely see 1st year players making any sort of contribution right away. It takes them plenty of time to get their talents up to the game speed needed to compete with pros.

I know at least one member on this forum will be all over my opinion on this subject, but Sorry...that is how I feel.

gilthethrill
08-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Sad, I thought CIS started on Labour Day weekend. Not much competition in Week 1 for sure. I agree with your "CIS Thinking" about lack of competition making it difficult to make it in progress camps. Lots of stats are just being padded which to me is misleading.

Will
08-26-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't really follow CIS as much as I should, but not too happy with the way the Gee Gees have fallen from grace over the past few years. They were always a competitive team in the OUA when I attended U. Ottawa from 2005 to 2009 as Josh Sacobie gave way to Brad Sinopoli. But from what I understand the team hasn't been able to replace Sinopoli effectively and also the program isn't being as well supported as it once was. I hope that the program gets back on it's feet soon and doesn't get stuck mired with York and U of T.

ArgoGabe22
08-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I guess it's hard for top recruits to be recruited by the weaker teams. Maybe it's time for schools to provide more funding but then that will create another problem while trying to fix one.

ArgoRavi
08-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Western 50 Toronto 14
Windsor 78 Waterloo 11
Guelph 21 Laurier 7
Queen's 52 York 1
McMaster 51 Ottawa 24

4 disgustingly huge blowouts and 1 semi-close game. Unfortunately for many that want to see more CIS players playing prominent roles in the CFL, scores like this don't help. IMO, these types of games do little to battle test players for a move to the next level. And even more unfortunate, these types of games are becoming the norm rather than the exception.

I also did a tally of the margin of victories in the 103 CIS games (not including Bishop's forfeits for using an ineligible player) from last year. 43 of 103 games were decided by 24 or more points, while only 28 were decided by under 10 (there were 29 decided by over 30). That's not competitve enough no matter how you slice it.

We all marvel at the talents of many players coming through the Laval program, but playing against such inferior competition makes it a lot more difficult to compete in a pro camp. IMHO, this is the reason we rarely see 1st year players making any sort of contribution right away. It takes them plenty of time to get their talents up to the game speed needed to compete with pros.

I know at least one member on this forum will be all over my opinion on this subject, but Sorry...that is how I feel.

Well said, AV! Also, what you have said goes for CIS coaches too. It is one thing to scheme against the York offence or defence and another to do it against the Calgary Stampeders.

shayman
08-26-2013, 09:02 PM
I wonder if it's time for Tier I and Tier II and some sort of promotion/relegation scheme.

I vaguely remember the OUA trying this for one season in about 1978. Western/Laurier/Windsor/Toronto were the top tier, Waterloo/Guelph/Mac/York the 2nd tier. You played twice against each team in your tier, and one crossover game. Funny to look back on it now and see Toronto in the top tier and Mac in the bottom. Waterloo went 4-2 in the lower tier and 0-1 against Laurier, and wound up playing Laurier in the playoffs, and ALMOST winning. That was almost fantastic.

294life
08-26-2013, 10:50 PM
I wonder if it's time for Tier I and Tier II and some sort of promotion/relegation scheme.

I vaguely remember the OUA trying this for one season in about 1978. Western/Laurier/Windsor/Toronto were the top tier, Waterloo/Guelph/Mac/York the 2nd tier. You played twice against each team in your tier, and one crossover game. Funny to look back on it now and see Toronto in the top tier and Mac in the bottom. Waterloo went 4-2 in the lower tier and 0-1 against Laurier, and wound up playing Laurier in the playoffs, and ALMOST winning. That was almost fantastic.

Sounds like the best idea to me. They could do the same in Quebec with Laval-Mtl-Sherbrooke in tier I and Bishop-Concordia-McGill in tier II. Those tier II are fun to watch because the teams are so evenly matched

Argocister
08-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't really follow CIS as much as I should, but not too happy with the way the Gee Gees have fallen from grace over the past few years. They were always a competitive team in the OUA when I attended U. Ottawa from 2005 to 2009 as Josh Sacobie gave way to Brad Sinopoli. But from what I understand the team hasn't been able to replace Sinopoli effectively and also the program isn't being as well supported as it once was. I hope that the program gets back on it's feet soon and doesn't get stuck mired with York and U of T.

The Gee-Gees went through the last 3-4 years with coaching changes.... Partially due to $ ..... Partially due to Carleton hiring some of Ottawas coaches ($ again) . U of Ottawa has a new program now that is planning on putting major monies into a few key sports, which includes football ( woohoo) Hopefully Baressi , their new coach, can right the program. It is true, the money will attract better recruits and coaches. Some of the smaller schools can draw as well, but not on a regular basis.

Sounds like the best idea to me. They could do the same in Quebec with Laval-Mtl-Sherbrooke in tier I and Bishop-Concordia-McGill in tier II. Those tier II are fun to watch because the teams are so evenly matched

Actually in the Q this year, they are basically tiering the schedule. The top three teams play each other twice and the other teams once. Similarly, McGill,Concordia and Bishops play each other twice and the top three teams once. I believe they are planning to do this next year.... And it will be based on the previous years standings. Of course they do play the AUS teams as well.

Ontario should do the same. It should be a " floating tier" schedule based on the previous years standings. Because of the 11 teams in the OUA , each team misses out on playing 2 different teams . So,Carleton, who is new to the league this year.... basically a rookie team with a handful of transfers and junior players.....gets to play the top 3 teams from last year ....Mac, Western, and Guelph. Can only expect some good reps for the depth on Mac, the purple ponies, and the gryphons.

Mulder
08-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Picked up my tickets for the CU Ravens home opener. Looking at the seats that were available online, their new field/stadium is almost sold out!

294life
08-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Funny they should have games labor day monday. Compensates the lack of an argo-ticat matchup.

Will
08-29-2013, 02:11 PM
I got to assume that there was a specific reason (Carleton's re-entry?) for the season to start last weekend. Students haven't returned to school yet.

AngeloV
08-29-2013, 09:35 PM
I got to assume that there was a specific reason (Carleton's re-entry?) for the season to start last weekend. Students haven't returned to school yet.

Yes..odd number of teams means there is a bye every week.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8