PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Holmes

gilthethrill
08-27-2013, 12:14 PM
According to the Minnesota Vikings official website, Holmes, an Argo draft pick who plays on the offensive line, has been released.

ArgoGabe22
08-27-2013, 12:57 PM
He has been released and picked up by the Vikings for a few times. I wonder is this is the final cut. He and his agent will probably shop around until the NFL season starts like Reinders did.

doubleblue
08-28-2013, 04:12 AM
If Holmes does run out of NFL options and decides to come to Toronto it will make for more decisions for the December draft. The Argos will have a tough time deciding who to protect. They may decide to let him keep exploring the NFL for he rest of this year and then try and sign him in the off season. That way he wouldn't be available for the draft. I just don't see him coming in and starting on the OLine unless there is a rash of injuries. He could probably replace Andrew Jones on the roster, but would then have to be exposed or protected in December.

OV Argo
08-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Better to have Holmes show-up sooner rather than later - in order to assess his ability and fit with the team & offence; very nice resume and all, but he might not grade out better than any of the current Argo back-ups even; IF - he does show and is very good, he could be protected as a young O-Line stud for the future - to go along with other top younger Argo O-linemen who it might be nice to hang-on to and not let Ottawa get their paws on: really impressed with King at OT (ROY candidate i would think), Eppelle and Reinders are young still but need to develop quick; Van Zeyl is not that old really and has lots of starting experience now (both at G and OT). And there is still Sewell who might show up and be a stud, plus next draft to get a top notch O-Linemen (hang to early picks please) - and have a nice blend of experience and youth for next year and the future.

paulwoods13
08-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Somewhat off-topic but this got me thinking about which six to eight non-imports we will protect in the first NI round (six if we don't lose a QB in the first import round, eight if we do). As of now, I would guess we will protect Van Zeyl, Durie, Laing, Gabriel, Tonye-Tonye and Keeping as our first six, Eppele as one of the next two and either Watt or Black as the eighth. That would expose a bunch of o-linemen plus Robinson, Johnson and Feoli-Gudino on offence, and three LBs on defence (among others). In total we will lose two NIs and one import. Let's assume the import is Collaros -- which NIs will we lose? I would bet we'll lose either Eppele or Reinders (but not both because we'll protect the other guy after the first goes), and a linebacker.

doubleblue
08-29-2013, 04:45 PM
I like what I have seen of Tonye-Tonye, but he is not a starter, yet. I would protect Eppele instead and Reinders as well over Gabriel. O-Linemen that big and talented are just to hard to find. The more I think about it, Sewell may have been encouraged or at least not discouraged, about going back to University for another year. Ottawa can't draft him from there. I thought Collaros was a FA at the end of this season making him risky for Ottawa to draft.

Wobbler
08-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Holmes suffered an ankle injury in camp and his current health status is unclear (to me). I'd be surprised if an NFL team picked him up at this point, but he might also be physically unable to even make our PR for the time being.

AngeloV
08-30-2013, 03:00 PM
I like what I have seen of Tonye-Tonye, but he is not a starter, yet. I would protect Eppele instead and Reinders as well over Gabriel. O-Linemen that big and talented are just to hard to find. The more I think about it, Sewell may have been encouraged or at least not discouraged, about going back to University for another year. Ottawa can't draft him from there. I thought Collaros was a FA at the end of this season making him risky for Ottawa to draft.

There is no way Gabriel does not get protected. He will be the Argos starting safety for the next 10 years. Eppelle is in what, his 4th season now? He still hasn't been able to prove himself as a starter. If they don't lose Matt Black, I seriously see him being moved to field corner. I always thought that was the right position for him due to his speed, but lack of size.

paulwoods13
08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
There is no way Gabriel does not get protected. He will be the Argos starting safety for the next 10 years. Eppelle is in what, his 4th season now? He still hasn't been able to prove himself as a starter. If they don't lose Matt Black, I seriously see him being moved to field corner. I always thought that was the right position for him due to his speed, but lack of size.

I agree with all this, especially on Gabriel. Would hate to lose Eppele but he has yet to seize the job that's been offered to him repeatedly. I still have faith that he will eventually "get it" but that's based more on his body shape, his attitude -- and a fair degree of pure hope on my part.

OV Argo
08-30-2013, 05:54 PM

Pretty bold prediction on Gabriel - who has shown a bit so far anyways, but 10 year starter ... - i hope you are right ... but you never know with football team `thinkers`(too bad the Argos didn`t see Paul Bennett as a long-time starter after he WAS outstanding as an Argo rookie (full time starter in D-backfield + punt returner) and had a long all-star like CFL career).

Sizing up very good players and showing them lots of respect can mean they will be committed to your team for a long time.

doubleblue
08-30-2013, 08:16 PM
There is no way Gabriel does not get protected. He will be the Argos starting safety for the next 10 years. Eppelle is in what, his 4th season now? He still hasn't been able to prove himself as a starter. If they don't lose Matt Black, I seriously see him being moved to field corner. I always thought that was the right position for him due to his speed, but lack of size. Yah these young 1st year players are going to make for some difficult brain storming by the Argos. The play of Laing and Gabriel changes what one would have projected at the start of the year. But I still think Ottawa will try and pick the best, at least four, Offensive Linemen available as a number one priority from the Canadian 1st round. I think the Argos are ok with Eppele at LG but have a veteran in Wayne Smith who needs to play some to keep sharp and maybe keep him happy as well. I don't think Ottawa will pick a QB from Toronto, (maybe try and sign Collaros as a FA), so they are going to get a good player and it will probably be one of Eppele, Watt, Black, Reinders or Gabriel depending on who's available from the Argos and the rest of the League. Somehow I just can't see the Argos protecting only two O-Linemen. They are too hard to find. But I have been wrong before, or so I've been told. lol

paulwoods13
08-31-2013, 09:12 AM
I just can't see the Argos protecting only two O-Linemen. They are too hard to find. But I have been wrong before, or so I've been told. lol

Keep in mind that after you lose your first NI in the draft, you can then protect six more NIs. So the Argos will probably lose no more than one experienced o-lineman. For instance, if they were to protect VZ and Keeping, and Ottawa then drafted Eppele, the Argos could then protect Reinders and other o-linemen among their next six.

doubleblue
08-31-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm looking forward to TSN's mock draft. Last night they did Saskatchewan. Lapo should have a pretty good idea how the Canadians in the league are rated seeing he was a party to doing that up to this year. Makes me think he is not a candidate for Ottawa Coaching positions or he wouldn't be doing this. But maybe it doesn't make any difference as all teams will have similar lists. IMO looking at the Canadians of each team, Calgary has by far the most starter potential players on their roster. Other teams you pick four and then it becomes a gamble.

doubleblue
08-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Some wow's from the NFL cuts. OG Danny Watkins (BC) let go by Philadelphia and C/OG Philip Blake (Montreal) cut by Denver. Never thought either one of those two high draft picks would ever been available. But they still may get picked up by other teams.

Wobbler
08-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Have a look at the "NFL Cuts" thread (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?2210-NFL-Cuts); Gabe has assembled a list and added some good commentary.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8