PDA

View Full Version : Labour Day Weekend Blues

gilthethrill
09-01-2013, 07:44 AM
It just doesn't seem like Labour Day Weekend without the Argos & Ti-Cats clashing with each other...although it was nice to see Hamilton lose Friday night.

ArgoZ
09-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Ya this is BS. For years there was no problem, but two years now with no game? I always said Argos should get the season opener, there has been some beauties, and Cats Labour Day. I guess when we get a new stadium, sigh,,,

ArgoRavi
09-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Ya this is BS. For years there was no problem, but two years now with no game? I always said Argos should get the season opener, there has been some beauties, and Cats Labour Day. I guess when we get a new stadium, sigh,,,

If there was ever a year for the Argos to host the Labour Day game, this was it but, unfortunately, Rogers and MLB did not cooperate. Surely, such a game would have drawn 30k plus at least in Toronto.

ArgoGabe22
09-01-2013, 04:13 PM
If there was ever a year for the Argos to host the Labour Day game, this was it but, unfortunately, Rogers and MLB did not cooperate. Surely, such a game would have drawn 30k plus at least in Toronto.

Anyone else get the feeling they did this on purpose to throw the Argos off? Baseball is played on evry day of the week, they easily could have scheduled their series a day or two earlier or a road game somewhere else.

Deerkeeper
09-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Yes, it will be a quiet Labour Day with no Labour Day Classic, but I am already looking forward to the Thanksgiving Day Classic in Guelph which could be a first place showdown. I'll be there.

1argoholic
09-01-2013, 06:08 PM
The CFL really blows it when it comes to this clash. Come hell or high water it should always be TO and Ham on Labour Day. Oh and Rogers can go and do you know what to themselves. It is a let down. Tuesday night after Labour Day. What a farce.

Argo57
09-01-2013, 06:47 PM
The CFL really blows it when it comes to this clash. Come hell or high water it should always be TO and Ham on Labour Day. Oh and Rogers can go and do you know what to themselves. It is a let down. Tuesday night after Labour Day. What a farce.

The only positive about any of this is it may expedite the Argonauts efforts to finally get their own stadium and control their own destiny!!

tc23
09-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Jays don't play tomorrow (Labour day) and Rogers is full of Crap that they couldn't flip it to football in 24 hours, they chose not to :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Cordo
09-01-2013, 09:05 PM
The only positive about any of this is it may expedite the Argonauts efforts to finally get their own stadium and control their own destiny!!

You need cash or backing from the government to build a stadium. The Argos don't have either right now.

Argo57
09-01-2013, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Cordo;36068]You need cash or backing from the government to build a stadium. The Argos don't have either right now.[/QUOTE

Exactly my point!!
They will be out of Skydome within 5 years so maybe they should sit and do nothing, or maybe they get off their asses and use some of Senator Braleys connections to start things happening, one way they survive and prosper, the other way they disappear!!

AngeloV
09-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Jays don't play tomorrow (Labour day) and Rogers is full of Crap that they couldn't flip it to football in 24 hours, they chose not to :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

100% agreed with this. They want the Argos out as soon as possible, but don't want the bad press of being the ones that kicked them out. So they make life miserable for their fans, in order to get them out.

gilthethrill
09-02-2013, 07:10 AM
100% agreed with this. They want the Argos out as soon as possible, but don't want the bad press of being the ones that kicked them out. So they make life miserable for their fans, in order to get them out.

What would have happened if the Jays/Royals game went 20 innings?

jerrym
09-02-2013, 08:00 AM
I too am suffering withdrawal symptoms from my lack of a Labour Day Argo fix. Just another sign that Rogers is doing everything it can to get rid of the Argos as tenants. Hope we get back to the Argo-Ticat Labour Day classics soon.

flafson
09-02-2013, 10:06 AM

That's a good point.

1argoholic
09-02-2013, 01:11 PM
We'll have the last laugh as we're playing in our beautiful new football only stadium which is full of crazy Argo fans having a blast. Rogers will have it's losers playing on very expensive turf that's a pain in the butt to keep and maintain. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Rogers Centre still won't hold a candle to the new ball parks in the states. Karma will be a ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodome.

We will have a new stadium because it is our only option other than fold.

tc23
09-02-2013, 02:31 PM

How many blue jays game have gone 20 innings this year ??

What if the sky fell !!

Cordo
09-02-2013, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=Cordo;36068]You need cash or backing from the government to build a stadium. The Argos don't have either right now.[/QUOTE

Exactly my point!!
They will be out of Skydome within 5 years so maybe they should sit and do nothing, or maybe they get off their asses and use some of Senator Braleys connections to start things happening, one way they survive and prosper, the other way they disappear!!

What deal is there to be made now? BMO has already been built, the Ticats got the Pan-Am stadium. Braley obviously has some cash as he owns two sports teams but he doesn't have the kind of cash to do that & build a stadium. I want the Argos out of the dome & in their own home like everyone else but there doesn't seem to be a push anywhere for it. The city is hypocritical because they spent for baseball, for soccer so MLSE which is a company with the money to BUILD THEIR OWN STADIUM can have a team but the Argos get shafted....

Argo57
09-02-2013, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Argo57;36069]

What deal is there to be made now? BMO has already been built, the Ticats got the Pan-Am stadium. Braley obviously has some cash as he owns two sports teams but he doesn't have the kind of cash to do that & build a stadium. I want the Argos out of the dome & in their own home like everyone else but there doesn't seem to be a push anywhere for it. The city is hypocritical because they spent for baseball, for soccer so MLSE which is a company with the money to BUILD THEIR OWN STADIUM can have a team but the Argos get shafted....

I'm sure they are exploring any and all options right now!

Bleeds Double Blue
09-02-2013, 03:36 PM
The other option would be for Hamilton to host the Labour Day classic. I seem to recall that they did that most of the time anyway. Rogers is a pain in the butt and continually shafts the Argos but the CFL did nothing to help the situation.

294life
09-02-2013, 03:54 PM
plenty of OUA football on today to make up for it. As far as I'm concerned the home opener with nearly 30,000 this year was the true labor day game.

paulwoods13
09-02-2013, 04:07 PM
The other option would be for Hamilton to host the Labour Day classic. I seem to recall that they did that most of the time anyway. Rogers is a pain in the butt and continually shafts the Argos but the CFL did nothing to help the situation.

I don't know what you mean, but you are aware that Hamilton does not have a stadium this year, right? There is no question the Argos could have played Ticats today at Guelph, but that would have meant ZERO home games for Toronto in September -- completely unacceptable from a competitive and marketing standpoint. As it is, we are on the road for the next four weeks, thanks to the limited number of dates Rogers offered (reportedly 12 dates all season in which to schedule nine home games). What exactly do you think the CFL should or could have done to help the situation?

Bleeds Double Blue
09-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Paul, I am aware that Hamilton does not have a stadium this year but they do have home games scheduled. I was not aware however that Rogers offered so few available dates. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

shayman
09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
The Guelph Gryphons had a home game on Labour Day Monday (vs Windsor) so even THAT stadium wasn't available. I'm looking forward to a future where the Ticats and Argos are each in full control of their home stadium.

Rocket
09-03-2013, 03:12 PM
The Guelph Gryphons had a home game on Labour Day Monday (vs Windsor) so even THAT stadium wasn't available. I'm looking forward to a future where the Ticats and Argos are each in full control of their home stadium.

It's just really bad how the Argos,ticats and mangement of the cfl can't get there stuff in order. How hard is it for the ticats to tell the Guelph gryphons football team that they had to have there labour day game on Monday when they organized there deal with Guelph. The gryphons draw around 500 people to there games on average the ticats are supposed to be a major league team how hard is it to ask them if they could play on the Sunday or Saturday or even they could play earlier in the day on Monday with the ticats playing later in the afternoon.
People on here got to stand up and tell these people that they got to get there things in order. Enough with all these stupid excuses standing up for these guys like Chris rudge, Cohen. The people who run these organizations have to do a better job, anytime I listened or watched anything about the cfl this week on tv in toronto people are just laughing at this league and how bush league things are.

shayman
09-03-2013, 03:31 PM
This will be the fourth Argo Labour Day Tuesday game since 1950, all against Montreal. Argos are 1-2 all time on Labour Day Tuesday. (well, since 1950; my database only goes back that far.) So this isn't exactly unprecedented.

Labour Day Tuesday games since 1950 -

1964 Tue Sep 8
Ottawa 17 BC 17
1974 Tue Sep 03
Montreal 12 Toronto 11
1977 Tue Sep 6
Toronto 20 Montreal 14
1978 Tue Sep 5
Ottawa 23 Montreal 18
1979 Tue Sep 4
Montreal 28 Toronto 25
1988 Tue Sep 6
Ottawa 11 BC 24
1989 Tue Sep 5
Ottawa 32 BC 49

shayman
09-03-2013, 03:34 PM
…must not reply….

aaargh I can't stand it.
a) Guelph had close to 4,000 fans at their game yesterday. It's a big weekend at universities everywhere. Western had 10,000 for their game. The football game is often the centrepiece of weekend orientation activities. I'm sure the Ticats asked, but they are a TENANT and cannot push the university around as if they own the place. Because the university, actually, owns the place. Guelph gets first pick of dates, end of story.

b) OK so suppose they did work it out. Rogers allegedly offered the Argos exactly one possible date in September: today. Would you prefer two Argo games in two days, or no home games in September? Because in this awkward season, those were the only choices if you wanted to preserve the LDC.

Sanity returns partly next year when the Ticats get their own place, and will fully return when we get ours. Until then, tenants can ask but cannot make demands of stadium owners.

paulwoods13
09-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Sanity returns partly next year when the Ticats get their own place, and will fully return when we get ours. Until then, tenants can ask but cannot make demands of stadium owners.

But some posters around here sure can make demands of team presidents.

Admirable restraint, Steve.

Sigh.

argos1873
09-03-2013, 08:45 PM
I would suppose if the Ti-Cats or the league, offered a wheelbarrow full of cash to the University, the University might have had a change of heart. But how much of the gate does Hamilton even get from the Guelph games, and although I haven't checked the numbers, I assume that the games in Guelph are pretty much sold out, so what's the incentive for a Labour Day game? But maybe the CFL/TSN would have wanted the game on Labour Day for the TV numbers (since they are generally higher than regular games). I'm surprised the league didn't provide the wheelbarrow. But then again maybe they did, and Guelph said no.

And btw, there's no guarantee this won't happen next year, if Rogers doesn't offer the Argos any decent dates in September again. It will never be solved until the Argos have a stadium of their own.

ArgoRavi
09-03-2013, 09:20 PM
And btw, there's no guarantee this won't happen next year, if Rogers doesn't offer the Argos any decent dates in September again. It will never be solved until the Argos have a stadium of their own.

Good point. Because of Rogers there was no Labour Day game a couple of years ago as it would have presented a huge competitive disadvantage with too few home games in the first half of the season.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8