PDA

View Full Version : If we could re-do the 2010 draft...

Wobbler
09-07-2013, 02:51 PM
...who should the Argos have picked in the first round? (Assuming that we had made the trades with SSK and BC and ended up with the #2 and #3 picks)

With the benefit of hindsight, I would have chosen Rob Maver and Cory Watson instead of Eppele and Greenwood. Who would you have chosen?

ArgoGabe22
09-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I would have went with Gore instead of Watson. If we drafted Maver as a punter we would then still need a CDN kicker. Maver started as a P/K but struggled with the kicking aspect. I maybe would have went with Brian Bulcke as a CDN defensive lineman.

Wobbler
09-07-2013, 10:47 PM
I like Gore (and considered picking him), but I think Watson is a better receiver; his numbers dipped last year when Winnipeg imploded, but he has been effective this year despite implosion 2.0.

OV Argo
09-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Watson & Gore maybe a toss-up - both very good receivers but different skill sets - Gore faster but Watson has the better hands and is a big, tough target - IMO Watson is better.

Maver didn't struggle that bad as a rookie FG kicker, but he has been supplanted by the best FG kicker in all of football in Paredes; Maver is a fine punter and might have become a very good dual kicker.

Bulcke is very solid but not sure he is better than Laing is now as a rookie.

Hindsight is nice - woulda been nice to hang on to both picks and get Watson & Maver ?

ArgoRavi
09-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Nobody wishes that we had drafted Shomari Williams instead? He was the consensus top overall pick at the time as I recall.

Argocister
09-07-2013, 11:54 PM

Hindsight is nice - woulda been nice to hang on to both picks and get Watson & Maver ?

This I could live with.

AngeloV
09-08-2013, 12:43 AM
, but he has been supplanted by the best FG kicker in all of football in Paredes;

OV, you've mentioned this before, but I think we need to see more before Paredes can be anointed the best kicker in all of football. He just hasn't tried enough long FG's to stake claim to that honour. Blair Walsh of Minnesota was 10-10 om 50+ fg's last year and had an overall percentage of 92.1%. Unless Paredes starts kicking 50+ FG's on a regular basis, IMO, he can't be considered the best kicker in all of football. He's having a great season, no doubt, but I want to see more than 10 games before I'm prepared to give him that honor.
I would say Sebastian Janikowski is the best kicker in all of football, myself. Didn't miss a kick under 50 yards last season and was 6-9 from 50+. And routinely kicks the ball over 70 yards on his kickoffs.

OV Argo
09-08-2013, 01:31 AM
OV, you've mentioned this before, but I think we need to see more before Paredes can be anointed the best kicker in all of football. He just hasn't tried enough long FG's to stake claim to that honour. Blair Walsh of Minnesota was 10-10 om 50+ fg's last year and had an overall percentage of 92.1%. Unless Paredes starts kicking 50+ FG's on a regular basis, IMO, he can't be considered the best kicker in all of football. He's having a great season, no doubt, but I want to see more than 10 games before I'm prepared to give him that honor.
I would say Sebastian Janikowski is the best kicker in all of football, myself. Didn't miss a kick under 50 yards last season and was 6-9 from 50+. And routinely kicks the ball over 70 yards on his kickoffs.

Yep - agreed - Paredes needs to prove more in terms of making some big 50+ yard FGs, but I still go with overall accuracy in terms of best FG kicker - Paredes is money and has the most accurate leg in the game IMO - his all-time pro FG % suggests this - including play-offs (which aren't counted in overall stats for some reason it seems) = off the charts superb - the guy rarely misses and is easily IMO better than most place kickers in the super-heroes NFL - and good thing they seem ignorant of his skills - so he should stay in the CFL.
Not to mention that the hash marks are way wider in the CFL kicking game vs, the NFL where FG attempts are at often at a much easier angle.

OV Argo
09-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Nobody wishes that we had drafted Shomari Williams instead? He was the consensus top overall pick at the time as I recall.

Williams rates a "draft bust" tag i guess - sure has a lot of haters over at Riderfans.; he at least showed some ability IMO when they first tired him at DE + was pretty decent on STs for them; total flop when they tried him at MLB; and has done little for the Ticats this year (very little playing time at DE though); i have a feeling though he is easily as good or better a DE than what the Argos have seen lately = zip-o, and if the Ticats are ready to give up on him (injured now i think?) - then wouldn't mind the Argos at least giving him a look.

AngeloV
09-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Not to mention that the hash marks are way wider in the CFL kicking game vs, the NFL where FG attempts are at often at a much easier angle.

I agree with that, but the hash marks are just as wide in the NCAA, and Janikowski was great there. There are pros and cons to kicking in both leagues though. NFL kickers don't get the benefit of using a tee, either.

I love that you bring up the hash marks thing though. I've always thought the NFL would be a much better game if they adopted wider hash marks and gave a true wide side of the field. They keep looking at ways to make it a safer game down there. IMO, this is the most obvious solution. It would put less importance on size of players, and more on quickness.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8