PDA

View Full Version : 1.069 Million watch Argos on TSN

argotom
09-16-2013, 07:19 PM
I just heard on our local TSN radio when Mike Hogan on the Argos Monday show, just announced the unbelievable ratings for the game.
Being the third highest watched TV program for all of Saturday.
Winning the Toronto market as well.
This is not the first time, now if we can only translate this towards the stands.
There is no reason with our team being successful that we should not be getting 30k+ crowd at the crap dome.

ArgoGabe22
09-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Suprisingly this was a late night game as well (maybe that's a good thing?). I myself decided to take a halftime nap and woke up with 1 second left in the 4th.

argotom
09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
On top of which it was a fantastic game in the second half.

Argo57
09-16-2013, 08:53 PM
There still is a lot of "casual" Argonaut-CFL fans out there, hopefully a more intimate stadium and more lively game atmosphere will gradually draw them out to games.

AngeloV
09-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Hogan tweeted that it had a 1.6 share (in 25-54 age demo) which was actually the #3 rated show in Toronto at the time, behind SNL and CTV late news. But still, great numbers.

Tau Ceti
09-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Do these viewership numbers get published in any organized form or does it just leak out in dribs and drabs?

Wobbler
09-16-2013, 10:42 PM
How is the TSN deal structured? Do teams with greater drawing power get a bigger slice, or is it split evenly?

Ron
09-17-2013, 12:42 AM
How is the TSN deal structured? Do teams with greater drawing power get a bigger slice, or is it split evenly?

evenly .....

LLB997
09-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Great numbers. CFL is also drawing quite well in the states as well. 350 thou when on espn2 and just under 100 thou consistently in NBCsn. I have had a few people down here approach me the day i wore my Argo's T shirt in the city. Good times for the league.

mint83
09-17-2013, 01:03 AM
News you will not get from the Toronto Star or FAN 590

jerrym
09-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Great news! The Argos should try to put the numbers and scenes from this exciting game into their marketing program.

Qman
09-17-2013, 01:39 AM
100% agree with you. TV numbers are more meaningful than attendance in gauging interest level. The in-stadium experience drives attendance numbers, and is not as correlated with interest level as TV numbers. You can still be a big fan, and not go to the games. The CFL should publish TV numbers as the focus instead of attendance.

This has been said a thousand times ... Even a 20k stadium, intimate atmosphere, on-top of the action, packed in together, scarcity in tickets and demand. Then grow the stadium out to 22 ... 26k ... 30k as long it doesn't affect atmosphere.

We laugh at the MLS teams only drawing 17k. But take for example portland's MLS stadium. Only holds 17-18k, but the compact, on top the action in-stadium atmosphere makes it feel like 70k.

Ballstothewall
09-17-2013, 08:02 AM
News you will not get from the Toronto Star or FAN 590

How right you are

argotom
09-17-2013, 09:24 AM
100% agree with you. TV numbers are more meaningful than attendance in gauging interest level. The in-stadium experience drives attendance numbers, and is not as correlated with interest level as TV numbers. You can still be a big fan, and not go to the games. The CFL should publish TV numbers as the focus instead of attendance.

This has been said a thousand times ... Even a 20k stadium, intimate atmosphere, on-top of the action, packed in together, scarcity in tickets and demand. Then grow the stadium out to 22 ... 26k ... 30k as long it doesn't affect atmosphere.

We laugh at the MLS teams only drawing 17k. But take for example portland's MLS stadium. Only holds 17-18k, but the compact, on top the action in-stadium atmosphere makes it feel like 70k.Do not compare the crappy MLS to our CFL in any way. That league is hemorrhaging big time with everyone losing big money while only a handful are breaking even or making some. Our model of 35k is bang on.

AngeloV
09-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Do not compare the crappy MLS to our CFL in any way. That league is hemorrhaging big time with everyone losing big money while only a handful are breaking even or making some. Our model of 35k is bang on.

Far be it from me to defend teh MLS, but wasn't the same said about the CFL in the 90's? The league was very close to folding you know.

35,000 seats and your asking for trouble. 25,000 is the way to go. A tougher ticket is very important in order to establish a demand.

I'm also getting tired of the Argos get poor dates in the Dome excuse. In the glory days of the 70's and early 80's, the league played exclusively on Tuesday and Wednesday nights up until Labour day. Seems to me the Argos had some pretty great crowds back then.

Argo
09-17-2013, 02:14 PM
TSN is doing well by the CFL, and vice versa.

By far the biggest problem for the Argos is the lack of their own stadium and therefore the ability to control their own fate. In the right venue CFL football can be hugely entertaining

Ballstothewall
09-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Do not compare the crappy MLS to our CFL in any way. That league is hemorrhaging big time with everyone losing big money while only a handful are breaking even or making some. Our model of 35k is bang on.

The new economics of the league, including the new TV deal, means most CFL teams, make money on 22,000 paid.

argotom
09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Far be it from me to defend teh MLS, but wasn't the same said about the CFL in the 90's? The league was very close to folding you know.

35,000 seats and your asking for trouble. 25,000 is the way to go. A tougher ticket is very important in order to establish a demand.

I'm also getting tired of the Argos get poor dates in the Dome excuse. In the glory days of the 70's and early 80's, the league played exclusively on Tuesday and Wednesday nights up until Labour day. Seems to me the Argos had some pretty great crowds back then.Let's look at the west, where CFL is by and large is thriving big time. Two new stadiums coming on line, Winnipeg with the gem at 33,500 and Regina will have 35,000+ in 2017. Here in the East we have Hamilton at 24,000 and Ottawa close to 23,000. So I guess location, location and location is the key.

Cordo
09-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm also getting tired of the Argos get poor dates in the Dome excuse. In the glory days of the 70's and early 80's, the league played exclusively on Tuesday and Wednesday nights up until Labour day. Seems to me the Argos had some pretty great crowds back then.

I disagree. It definitely has an effect on attendance when you play on Monday-Wednesday versus the weekend. It's a problem that even goes beyond the Argos. If you look at the Blue Jays they don't seem to draw that well early in the week & then get the bigger crowds for the weekend games. Even the Western CFL teams always play on the weekends.

AngeloV
09-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I disagree. It definitely has an effect on attendance when you play on Monday-Wednesday versus the weekend. It's a problem that even goes beyond the Argos. If you look at the Blue Jays they don't seem to draw that well early in the week & then get the bigger crowds for the weekend games. Even the Western CFL teams always play on the weekends.

That's fine, but how do you then explain the huge summer crowds in the 70's and early 80's when the entire league played exclusively on Tuesday and Wednesday nights until Labour day? It's obvious to me that the CFL lost the non die hard fans in the 80's when NFL salaries started to rise at a pace that the CFL could not compete with. That is when the casual fan started to (foolishly) look at the CFL as minor league--at least in Southern Ontario.

Will
09-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but didn't the CFL have enough popularity in Toronto at that time so that they could schedule games on those dates? Also, if we are assuming that the majority of fans live in the suburbs then Saturday, Sunday > Monday, Tuesday.

AngeloV
09-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah, but didn't the CFL have enough popularity in Toronto at that time so that they could schedule games on those dates? Also, if we are assuming that the majority of fans live in the suburbs then Saturday, Sunday > Monday, Tuesday.

I don't disagree that weekend games are more disirable. I just don't believe that Weeknight games is a good excuse for small crowds. Your point about more people living int he burbs, is well taken though.

argos1873
09-18-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't disagree that weekend games are more disirable. I just don't believe that Weeknight games is a good excuse for small crowds. Your point about more people living int he burbs, is well taken though.

I was actually thinking about Tuesday games, the other day and how everyone, including myself rips Rogers for that. But then I thought about how the Argos have always played some Tuesday night games in the summer since as far back as I can remember. While sure Rogers deserves a good ripping, people actually used to show up on Tuesday night games back when. Is that Rogers fault that few show up for games now? No its because its a different city now, people live further out, and its harder to get into downtown then it was EVEN 10 years ago. For a team that has only 9 regular season home dates, you need to maximize the dates that people can easily show up. That's why most home dates need to be on weekend afternoons. Just because it worked in the 70s doesn't mean it should work now, and that's why it sucks that the Argos are under Roger's thumb, and need to have a stadium where they can get most of the dates they now NEED.

BTW I believe a 30,000 seat stadium is the sweet spot in this town. The Argos have hit 30 a few times recently, and have more often hit 25,000. That's without a tough ticket to get. I think you sell out every game at 30,000 with a competitive team, and sell at least 25,000 in a decent intimate stadium every time, regardless of the date or competitiveness. Either way you're making money.

Tau Ceti
09-18-2013, 10:08 PM
There are some people who work weekends. In the hospitality industry Mon to Wed are often days off. So I don't think one strategically placed Tuesday game in a season is unreasonable. My first ever game was the Tues match-up against the Lions this year. What I don't understand is the Tues after Labour Day. I literally cannot think of a worse date to schedule a match.

argotom
09-18-2013, 10:44 PM
I agree a new 30,000 seat stadium with the same blueprint as the Winnipeg stadium is ideal.

BayArgonaut
09-26-2013, 04:36 PM
I agree a new 30,000 seat stadium with the same blueprint as the Winnipeg stadium is ideal.

Braley and Rudge have each mentioned that a 27-29k stadium is ideal; i dont see why we couldnt go with a 34k seat stadium. if you can boost the aestetics and environment in a new facility that cater solely to the event you`re watching(Football in this case), people will come back. Especially the casual fan who watches on tv, it will sell itself when they are lured `be a part of it`. The SkyDome is a Toronto icon, but it`s not exactly favourable for gridiron football.

jerrym
09-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Braley and Rudge have each mentioned that a 27-29k stadium is ideal; i dont see why we couldnt go with a 34k seat stadium. if you can boost the aestetics and environment in a new facility that cater solely to the event you`re watching(Football in this case), people will come back. Especially the casual fan who watches on tv, it will sell itself when they are lured `be a part of it`. The SkyDome is a Toronto icon, but it`s not exactly favourable for gridiron football.

Welcome on board the good ship ArgoFan!

BayArgonaut
09-26-2013, 11:53 PM
thank you my friend, feels good to be here

7dj83r8f78t4alf8