PDA

View Full Version : At the two-thirds mark, the Argos are in great shape

Wobbler
09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I still can't quite believe how much success we've had recently. Despite the loss of key personnel and a brutal schedule, we've played really well. The long road string, which plays havoc with the practice schedule, came while we were trying to adapt our offense to a new and inexperienced starting QB... but we've persevered.

Reasons for optimism:

- None of our remaining opponents have winning records
- We are clearly getting better over time, which no other team can currently claim (...maybe Edmonton)
- We've beaten every team in the league and should be confident regardless of who our GC opponent is
- Collaros has been productive even without Owens as a receiver
- The league's best QB will likely return soon
- Our non-import content is quite good; we can field players purely on merit
- Team psychology seems excellent. We have bounced back well from adversity and the players seem to genuinely like each other. Guys we were nervous about, like Khalif, have been model citizens

Reasons for pessimism:

- I've jinxed us by declaring that we'll be in the GC game

bluto
09-23-2013, 01:01 PM
I still can't quite believe how much success we've had recently. Despite the loss of key personnel and a brutal schedule, we've played really well. The long road string, which plays havoc with the practice schedule, came while we were trying to adapt our offense to a new and inexperienced starting QB... but we've persevered.

Reasons for optimism:

- None of our remaining opponents have winning records
- We are clearly getting better over time, which no other team can currently claim (...maybe Edmonton)
- We've beaten every team in the league and should be confident regardless of who our GC opponent is
- Collaros has been productive even without Owens as a receiver
- The league's best QB will likely return soon
- Our non-import content is quite good; we can field players purely on merit
- Team psychology seems excellent. We have bounced back well from adversity and the players seem to genuinely like each other. Guys we were nervous about, like Khalif, have been model citizens

Reasons for pessimism:

- I've jinxed us by declaring that we'll be in the GC game

LOL! i was reading your post thinking "Duuuuude! Shut uppppp!" We're Argonaut fans... we know that fickle fate will be waiting around the corner to abuse us in some cruel and unusal way the second we start feeling good about our chances again!

AaronInToronto
09-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Only concern I have is the level of hunger in those teams with non-winning records. They are all threats. 2 more wins guarantees us a home playoff game. 3 more guarantees us to host the eastern final, but we need to beat Hamilton in 1 of 2 to ensure that.

flafson
09-23-2013, 02:04 PM
We are great and all but to be honest, our last 3 games could have gone against us so i wouldn't count my eggs just yet.

AngeloV
09-23-2013, 02:22 PM
We are great and all but to be honest, our last 3 games could have gone against us so i wouldn't count my eggs just yet.

Winning those types of games is what separates championship teams from pretenders. Saskatchewan was running all over everyone early on, but don't seem to have what it takes to win a close, hard fought game. Well, those are the types of games you need to do well in come playoff time.

flafson
09-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Last season showed us that what is most important is finishing the season on a high note, so you might win all the big games and still not get anywhere.

Will
09-23-2013, 03:02 PM

That is true but I would also consider the context. Three games on the road with one being in a stadium (Molson) which has been a horrific place for the Argos to play throughout much of the last decade plus and two games on the road against the 1 and 2 teams in the west.

1argoholic
09-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Last week we tossed in a few nice wrinkles on O which impressed me. The team as a whole is improving from the top to bottom. Nice to see the growth.

Argo57
09-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Khalif Mitchell seems to be stepping it up as well, starting to show flashes of dominance.

ArgoRavi
09-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Khalif Mitchell seems to be stepping it up as well, starting to show flashes of dominance.

The entire defensive line seems to be playing better in recent weeks. David Lee and Kiante Tripp have stepped up. I wonder when we will see Cleyon Laing back in the lineup.

paulwoods13
09-23-2013, 08:56 PM
The entire defensive line seems to be playing better in recent weeks. David Lee and Kiante Tripp have stepped up. I wonder when we will see Cleyon Laing back in the lineup.

Hopefully soon. As well as they are playing as a group, we really need him back. He was playing really well before he got hurt.

Wobbler
09-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Is Laing injured? I had assumed that he was "injured".

Wobbler
09-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Tripp is apparently having knee issues, so Laing might "recover" this week.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8