PDA

View Full Version : CFL gets better ratings than MLS on ESPN???

argolio
09-24-2013, 09:43 PM
That's what this thread says:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/cfl-already-outdrawing-mls-on-espn.453253659/

Argo57
09-24-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm not a soccer fan or expert by any means but when I first saw TFC play it looked like NCAA level soccer!

1argoholic
09-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Except NCAA is better.

LLB997
09-25-2013, 05:37 AM
No surprise here. When I first moved to New York , MSG2 used to pick up the America One feed of the TSN Friday night game. The feed of a feed picture quality literally looked like someone smeared Vaseline all over my tv screen. Anyhow, the ratings at that time were a very impressive 60 thousand in the NY market alone. And the quality of the TV package has improved so much since 08.

Will
09-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Americans like their football. I don't understand why anyone is surprised by this except if they are looking to use it to take a shot at MLS.

argolio
09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Americans like their football. I don't understand why anyone is surprised by this except if they are looking to use it to take a shot at MLS.it should be a surprise to at least some people for the simple reason that there are exactly zero U.S.-based teams in the CFL. Definitely surprised me.

ArgoRavi
09-25-2013, 08:55 PM
it should be a surprise to at least some people for the simple reason that there are exactly zero U.S.-based teams in the CFL. Definitely surprised me.

It would probably surprise a lot of Torontonians who see the MLS as being major-league while the CFL isn't.

Tau Ceti
09-25-2013, 11:14 PM
These comments on the MLS are silly and ultimately wrong. I've just Googled up most of the rankings for the summer from the same blog source and there's weeks where 300K to 400K were watching MLS (although it definitely drops lower as well). The CFL consistently got +200K viewers for it's five weeks with 350,000 in its first and best week. The CFL numbers seem strong enough to merit renewal. We should be happy about that rather than wishing the worst for soccer.

gilthethrill
09-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Interesting thread argolio...good research.

AngeloV
09-26-2013, 02:00 PM
These comments on the MLS are silly and ultimately wrong. I've just Googled up most of the rankings for the summer from the same blog source and there's weeks where 300K to 400K were watching MLS (although it definitely drops lower as well). The CFL consistently got +200K viewers for it's five weeks with 350,000 in its first and best week. The CFL numbers seem strong enough to merit renewal. We should be happy about that rather than wishing the worst for soccer.

Can you please point out to me who on this thread was "wishing the worst for soccer"? Or are you reading minds now?

Tau Ceti
09-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Can you please point out to me who on this thread was "wishing the worst for soccer"? Or are you reading minds now?

The very title of the thread is a put down to MLS.

AngeloV
09-26-2013, 03:16 PM
The very title of the thread is a put down to MLS.

You're kidding right? Looks more like an endorsement of the CFL to me. Imagine that..someone posting something positive about the CFL on a CFL fan forum.

:rolleyes:

T-Bone
09-26-2013, 03:30 PM
That's what this thread says:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/cfl-already-outdrawing-mls-on-espn.453253659/

You're kidding right? Looks more like an endorsement of the CFL to me. Imagine that..someone posting something positive about the CFL on a CFL fan forum.

:rolleyes:
Looks more like a question to me and a post with findings that the original poster didn't even bother to confirm himself.

Will
09-26-2013, 03:46 PM
MLS ratings were as high as 346 000 in late August according to the site that the thread that Argolio posted used. It is true that the CFL whenever shown during the same week as MLS had the higher ratings at least for the few weeks that I could find.

AngeloV
09-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Looks more like a question to me and a post with findings that the original poster didn't even bother to confirm himself.

That's fine. I still fail to see where anyone posted anything even resembling "wishing the worst for soccer" which is the reason I challenged that post. Maybe you can point this out, because I sure am missing what that poster saw.

Will
09-26-2013, 04:25 PM
The question I'd ask is why the MLS specifically is being singled out for comparison although that is more a question for cutechemist42 on IGN rather than Argolio.

Will
09-26-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm not necessarily dwelling on the fact that the CFL was compared to ratings for another sport altogether, but why the original thread on IGN singled out MLS. I don't think it's a question were going to have answered either.

AngeloV
09-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Look, I just was asking who on this thread was "wishing the worst for soccer", and how the poster came to that conclusion. I still have yet to receive a logical answer to it.

Why is it that everytime MLS is mentioned in a thread over here, the MLS fans need to make more out of it than it is?

Mulder
09-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Look, I just was asking who on this thread was "wishing the worst for soccer", and how the poster came to that conclusion. I still have yet to receive a logical answer to it.

Why is it that everytime MLS is mentioned in a thread over here, the MLS fans need to make more out of it than it is?

T-Bone, when did you get ahold of AngeloV's account? Questioning intent and asking for clarification is instigating.

Tau Ceti
09-26-2013, 05:20 PM

I'm not an MLS fan. I've been to one game live and never watched on television. Not that that should matter.

I just find it odd on this forum how many people seem to have inferiority/superiority issues with regards to the MLS. Why does beating that league constitute validation for the CFL? I could just as easily point to the same blog and announce: "CFL loses out big time to NASCAR in the United States." Would I really be proving anything?

LLB997
09-26-2013, 06:06 PM
These comments on the MLS are silly and ultimately wrong. I've just Googled up most of the rankings for the summer from the same blog source and there's weeks where 300K to 400K were watching MLS (although it definitely drops lower as well). The CFL consistently got +200K viewers for it's five weeks with 350,000 in its first and best week. The CFL numbers seem strong enough to merit renewal. We should be happy about that rather than wishing the worst for soccer. I already posted a thread earlier in the summer citing the SOB blog and the CFL has been pretty consistent in its ratings wins over the MLS. Aside from that, for as much as we like to take the high road and question why we are making MLS comparisons , the reality is that this discussion's line was drawn in the sand years ago in Toronto and seeing as this is a Toronto based forum makes sense. Tau, I think the point of this is not to look at it from a week to week comparison, but just the fact that the CFL is back on the deuce after years and already winning head to head matchups with America's national soccer league especially considering there is no American based CFL team is very telling and impressive from a CFL point of view. Remember, the league is making a concerted effort to raise its profile in the Usa as a recruiting tool and these results should be looked at that way.............................If the Bundesliga or Serie A started showing games in Canada and they all of a sudden were beating the CFL in ratings wars , you better believe the shrinky dink Canadian media and Soccer fans would jump all over that in a second. Nothing wrong with tooting out own horns over this.

argolio
09-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Looks more like a question to me and a post with findings that the original poster didn't even bother to confirm himself.Try looking beyond yourself.

I'm also not writing a book. If anyone wants to dig deeper (as apparently some have), that's up to them.

I could just as easily point to the same blog and announce: "CFL loses out big time to NASCAR in the United States." Would I really be proving anything?The difference is that I think most people would expect NASCAR ratings to blow out CFL ratings in the U.S.

AngeloV
09-26-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm not an MLS fan. I've been to one game live and never watched on television. Not that that should matter.

I just find it odd on this forum how many people seem to have inferiority/superiority issues with regards to the MLS. Why does beating that league constitute validation for the CFL? I could just as easily point to the same blog and announce: "CFL loses out big time to NASCAR in the United States." Would I really be proving anything?

No, but you have to admit, it is impressive for a league that doesn't get any mainstream coverage in the US can occasionally get better ratings head to head than a league that does. MLS gets some mention on ESPN and FOX as far as hi-lights and scheduling do. CFL does not. For that reason alone, your comparison with Nascar/CFL is not valid as Nascar gets national sports attention all the time in the US..Even more so than Hockey and tennis.

Tau Ceti
09-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Guys, I chose Nascar simply to illustrate my point that choosing MLS appears weird to a newbie. Why not pick women's tennis? Or poker? Whatever -- pick what you want. I simply don't understand why defeating the MLS in ratings should be the metric CFL fans set for success. I actually agree that, in and of themselves, the CFL numbers are impressive. I mentioned in my first post that they merit renewal on ESPN. The MLS numbers matter only insofar as all the other sports programs matter to the rankings table.

LLB997
09-27-2013, 02:14 AM
CFL, MLS = both team sports, both play out of similar sized stadiums , 3 teams play out of same city (although not in us), both outside the "Big 4" team sports. tennis , poker etc. fits none of that criteria.

T-Bone
09-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Try looking beyond yourself.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/2/28742/1183071-wtf.jpg

7dj83r8f78t4alf8