PDA

View Full Version : America's Cup -- International Sailing

Midnight Blue
09-26-2013, 05:10 AM
Been busy lately, but there's been some amazing sail racing going on, and you might really like it, whether you're into sailing or not. I won't give away the winner, but here are the last three races, and you can find the previous ones in the links. Just don't watch the press conferences (other, separate links) till you've seen all the races, else you'll find out the winners. Cheers!

Races 17 & 18 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_q1Tfb7maQ&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4jyS1DaVhX_4sSOARbcOObnqywOkRzYl

Race 19 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHdmviq1kyg&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4jyS1DaVhX_4sSOARbcOObnqywOkRzYl

Will
09-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Not a fan of them using catamarans for this race.

Midnight Blue
09-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Not a fan of them using catamarans for this race.

I must admit, when I first heard about the races, and then saw the cats, my thoughts were "Oh man, why mess with tradition?". After watching most of the series though, I was pleasantly surprised. Some of the later races, really were amazing, IMO.

Cheers !

1argoholic
09-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Rich guys in fancy boats isn't my cup of overly expensive tea but that was one hell of a choke. Saw this on the news the other day. It would be great to see one tip over at high speeds though.

Midnight Blue
09-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Rich guys in fancy boats isn't my cup of overly expensive tea but that was one hell of a choke. Saw this on the news the other day. It would be great to see one tip over at high speeds though.

Well the owners are certaily rich (sailboats, even wee ones, are bloody expensive), and I'm sure the afterguard (skippers, tacticians) have done well for themselves to get this far, in terms of international racing success and fame, but I doubt the regular crew members are all rich. Kinda like some sports leagues (CFL?), I would imagine.

I got into sailing years ago, and put my name out at a few local clubs, in case they needed extra crew.

The racing was quite fun (mostly Sunday afternoon with a hang-over stuff). Getting every ounce of speed out of a boat (especially in light winds), can be quite a fun challenge.

Ka' Pla !

Midnight Blue
09-29-2013, 11:14 PM
As for "choke", I wouldn't call it that at all. Team USA improved on some of their earlier sloppiness, and the engineers on shore got the boat faster, as the series wore on. Team New Zealand got done in by a faster boat.

My congratulations go out to both teams, for a superb regatta !

Ka' Pla !

7dj83r8f78t4alf8