PDA

View Full Version : Non-CFL Argos 2013

Wobbler
09-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Last year we had several promising draftees to watch in the NCAA and NFL, and the good news is that several of those players are now on our roster. The less-good news is that we have a smaller crop of new and returning prospects to keep an eye on.

- Cory Greenwood (Detroit Lions, injured reserve): The Lions have kept him on their roster while he rehabs a significant injury. That, combined with the fact that he'll be highly motivated to be on an active NFL roster for at least three more games and thus earn his pension mean that we won't see him for a while (if ever).

- Luke Willson (Seattle Seahawks, active roster): He's the #2 TE on their depth chart and has recorded five receptions through three games. Seattle is kicking ass and taking names this year, and they seem to like Willson. We shouldn't hold our breath.

- Natey Adjei (Buffalo Bulls [NCAA]): He has "participated" in 2/3 games, but has recorded no stats. This is not encouraging for a senior on a poor team.

- Matt Sewell (McMaster Marauders [CIS]): It's hard to know how well an OL is playing without watching the games, but Mac is 2-3. The OUA site claims that he has only played in one game this season, but I don't know whether that's reliable...

Argocister
09-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Sewell has been injured. I'm not sure how much longer he will be out.

Wobbler
09-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Ah, thanks.

Wobbler
10-18-2013, 12:15 AM
- Matt Sewell still hasn't played since McMaster's season opener, but this article implies (http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4159268-mac-ramps-up-to-face-the-lowly-ravens/) that he is close and could be available for the playoffs (Oct 26th) if Mac takes care of business this weekend.

- Natey Adjei hasn't even "participated" in a game since Sept 7.

Argocister
10-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Like Willson played well for the Seahawks for the most part ..... He won't be up here anytime soon.

ArgoRavi
10-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Like Willson played well for the Seahawks for the most part ..... He won't be up here anytime soon.

Willson did not have a very productive senior season, much like Adjei (although he hasn't been productive at all in university). Hopefully Adjei will just be a late-bloomer, somewhat similar to Willson except he will do his blooming with the Argos.

OV Argo
10-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Willson did not have a very productive senior season, much like Adjei (although he hasn't been productive at all in university). Hopefully Adjei will just be a late-bloomer, somewhat similar to Willson except he will do his blooming with the Argos.

I don't see Adjei anywhere on the stats sheet for U Buffalo this season; injured maybe?

Will
10-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't see Adjei anywhere on the stats sheet for U Buffalo this season; injured maybe?

Wobbler's post above states that Adjei hasn't "participated" in a game since September 7th.

doubleblue
10-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Wobbler's post above states that Adjei hasn't "participated" in a game since September 7th. Where he was drafted and the fact that Adjei is not seeing much playing time as a Senior would indicate he will be a depth player at best. But, who knows, he could turn out to be a good special teams player down the road. There are players that are not quite starter material who can make the roster for Kick and Punt Teams.

Wobbler
10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
For the first couple of games he was listed as a participant but recorded no stats. Since Sept 7 he has been on the "DID NOT PARTICIPATE" list for every game. Buffalo doesn't publish its IR, but I haven't come across any reports of an injury.

OV Argo
10-24-2013, 07:13 PM
For the first couple of games he was listed as a participant but recorded no stats. Since Sept 7 he has been on the "DID NOT PARTICIPATE" list for every game. Buffalo doesn't publish its IR, but I haven't come across any reports of an injury.

So, he (unless injured) can't even make the roster of a hardly a powerhouse NCAA team, even as a 3rd stringer ? - not a very good sign IMO.

Heard he was very "athletic" - which a lot of football "scouts" become so enamored with - wow that 40 time or jump #; problem is - these type of projects - who have proven very little in actual football competition - do not that often pan out as very good pro players; and IMO it is usually a big waste of an early to mid round pick to draft these type guys when you CAN be drafting accomplished football players instead - guys who have proven they can play the game with impressive stats or playing time or championships at the lower levels of ball (and backed by some good Combine type test #s as well hopefully); save the projects for last round of the draft or just wait and sign the guy for a try-out as a free agent.

I guess we shall see how Adjei pans out for the Argos or in the CFL; maybe he was a great diamond in rough type pick and comes on like gangbusters to start at receiver for the Argos down the road.

Wobbler
10-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Have you seen any recent prospects you want for the Argos, OV? Adjei has had an awful year, of course, but there are many possibilities.

Argocister
10-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Sewell is back on the Oline for Mac just in time to win their quarter final yesterday. .....just as an aside Cupido would be a good addition but he does play in the NLL.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4177758-oua-marauder-rushing-attack-grounds-the-gee-gees/

OV Argo
10-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Sewell is back on the Oline for Mac just in time to win their quarter final yesterday. .....just as an aside Cupido would be a good addition but he does play in the NLL.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4177758-oua-marauder-rushing-attack-grounds-the-gee-gees/

Interesting - I watched some of that Mac/GGs game and was looking for Sewell but did not see him and figured he was still out. IF he does show up for the Argos next TC - be interesting to see if he could win a roster spot or even maybe start at OT - him and Holmes = potential for 2 NI starters at OT perhaps - but i really liked Jerell King at OT this season and hope he will be back.

Cupido is a good athlete and a play-making DB - not CFL drafted last year - Argos should try and sign him for a look but he might be content playing pro lacrosse instead ?

Adjei going to come to TC and beat out the likes of Watt, Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino for a job? - with Durie a fixture and those others, Argos probably quite set at NI receiver and should not be looking there next draft - but predicting CFL draft "thinking" is a lost cause.

Wobbler
10-28-2013, 12:52 AM
I "think" that our organization's "thinkers" have drafted quite well recently and that we have a good group of non-imports. We seem well-positioned to draft the BPA with the ninth pick.

paulwoods13
10-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Sewell was dominant on Saturday, according to the Hamilton Spectator. He supposedly pushed his side of the Ott d-line back five or more yards a few times, opening some huge holes. The Marauders ran and passed with more success than at any time this season. If the Mac-Western game is on TV next Saturday, Sewell wears No. 59 and plays LT.

OV Argo
10-28-2013, 11:18 PM
I "think" that our organization's "thinkers" have drafted quite well recently and that we have a good group of non-imports. We seem well-positioned to draft the BPA with the ninth pick.

Yeah - pretty decent drafting success for the Argos lately - nice change from the oft pathetic ways of the past.

The upcoming CFL draft - not sure it is going to be rated even close to a real strong crop - both in terms of NCAA guys available * and top CIS stars; always some good picks to be had though; good scouting is key.

* - ex Western star rookie RB - Tyler Varga - is now in his 2nd season as a top notch NCAA RB with Yale; and Simon Fraser receiver - Lamar Durant from BC (formerly on a Div. I roster - UNLV (?)) - had a just outstanding receiving season in 2012 in US college ball - big, fast target who i bet will draw NFL interest. Not sure when either of these guys will be CFL draft eligible though - but 2 very big-time blue chip CFL draft prospects IMO. Love to see the Argos be able to draft AND sign, either of these guys down the road.

Nob
10-29-2013, 12:56 AM
I had the pleasure of coaching against Varga when he played for the Cambridge Lions in the OVFL. You could tell even then that he was going to be something special, and a terrifically nice kid too.

Another kid I coached was Jacob Ruby. He's a 6'8" OT with the University of Richmond Spiders. I believe he's been a starter there for a couple of seasons. He played TE for us. Again, another terrific kid with potential.

Can't wait to see both of them turn pro, along with many, many other fine young men that I coached for and against. Lots of great talent in Ontario. The bar has come a long way.

doubleblue
10-29-2013, 04:00 AM
Yeah - pretty decent drafting success for the Argos lately - nice change from the oft pathetic ways of the past.

The upcoming CFL draft - not sure it is going to be rated even close to a real strong crop - both in terms of NCAA guys available * and top CIS stars; always some good picks to be had though; good scouting is key.

* - ex Western star rookie RB - Tyler Varga - is now in his 2nd season as a top notch NCAA RB with Yale; and Simon Fraser receiver - Lamar Durant from BC (formerly on a Div. I roster - UNLV (?)) - had a just outstanding receiving season in 2012 in US college ball - big, fast target who i bet will draw NFL interest. Not sure when either of these guys will be CFL draft eligible though - but 2 very big-time blue chip CFL draft prospects IMO. Love to see the Argos be able to draft AND sign, either of these guys down the road. Thanks for the update. I always wondered what happened to that Varga kid. Had a great rookie year and then disappeared.

gilthethrill
10-29-2013, 09:42 PM

* - ex Western star rookie RB - Tyler Varga - is now in his 2nd season as a top notch NCAA RB with Yale; and Simon Fraser receiver - Lamar Durant from BC (formerly on a Div. I roster - UNLV (?)) - had a just outstanding receiving season in 2012 in US college ball - big, fast target who i bet will draw NFL interest. Not sure when either of these guys will be CFL draft eligible though - but 2 very big-time blue chip CFL draft prospects IMO. Love to see the Argos be able to draft AND sign, either of these guys down the road. OV, if I am not mistaken, Varga has stated he has zero interest in playing pro ball, but intends on becoming a medical practitioner instead. I don't look for any CFL team to risk a draft pick for him.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8