View Full Version : The Don is Back!

jerrym
10-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Don Mathews, the former Argo head coach, is back - this time to mentor the Als' coaches and players. Good to see he is healthy enough to do this.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Montreal/ID/2411547969/

D-Gap-Willie
10-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Really good news. I am shocked , since I was convinced that the next news of the Don would be his sad obituary. Age and illness must have mellowed him a great deal, if he is truly mentoring.

1argoholic
10-13-2013, 06:36 PM
After meeting him at Argo practice before it didn't take long to dislike the man. He was a prick.

D-Gap-Willie
10-14-2013, 05:10 AM
After meeting him at Argo practice before it didn't take long to dislike the man. He was a prick.
On behalf of the penises (sp?) of the world, I vociferously object to your demeaning comparison.

ArgoZ
10-14-2013, 12:12 PM

There is an aura of arrogance one experiences when meeting Don. The same can be said, maybe more so for Doug Flutie and many laud him. Combined, they were probably the most unfriendly Coach/QB pairing. However, they won us two cups and I loved them for it, despite their personalities.

Gill The Thrill
10-14-2013, 12:26 PM
You need thick skin to be a coach in any pro sport, as your decisions are open to criticism, so I think being a prick comes with the territory of the job. If you're too much Mr. Nice guy, then you won't be around too long because the players will not respect you because they know they can get away with stuff...kind of like unruly school children who need the heavy hand to keep a disciplined attitude...they'll like you but they won't respect you. So that question of, is it better to be liked, or respected and feared comes into play. Sometimes, many times, you can't be both liked and respected...I'd always take respected if I have to choose one over the other, and most successful coaches do prefer to be respected, or even feared as opposed to being liked.

1argoholic
10-14-2013, 02:39 PM
In those days I hit plenty of practices and The Don was a Richard. No need to be that way to fans. Flutie was no sweetheart either. Most coaches and players were always great.

doubleblue
10-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Looks like "The Don" is having the same affect on the Als as he did on his return to the Argos a few years back.

matthew
10-14-2013, 09:43 PM
heard him interviewed at halftime on cjad. sounds like he is feeling better and enjoying working with als.

Midnight Blue
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Let's not dump on former Coaches. If you tried to interview me at work, I'd be a prick too.

Especially if I was setting up a long sniper shot.

(Just kidding.)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8