PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Watkins = suspended list?

Gill The Thrill
10-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Anyone know the situation why Watkins is on the 1 game suspension list, Was it a league or team decision? TSN was very vague but it sounded like it was a private decision made by the organization as they did not mention an infraction that would incur the wrath of the league.

Irregardless, Watkins will not be at corner in the Argos secondary and that can be a huge hole for Burris to take advantage of...with the Argos getting Ray back, it should be a good one.

ArgoRavi
10-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Anyone know the situation why Watkins is on the 1 game suspension list, Was it a league or team decision? TSN was very vague but it sounded like it was a private decision made by the organization as they did not mention an infraction that would incur the wrath of the league.

Irregardless, Watkins will not be at corner in the Argos secondary and that can be a huge hole for Burris to take advantage of...with the Argos getting Ray back, it should be a good one.

Milanovich said that Watkins is not in trouble and that it is just a personal issue that he is taking care of.

argotom
10-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Milanovich said that Watkins is not in trouble and that it is just a personal issue that he is taking care of. I don't know what to think of this guy. First it was the no show in camp and now this. This guy appears to have all kinds of baggage.

ArgoGabe22
10-14-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't know what to think of this guy. First it was the no show in camp and now this. This guy appears to have all kinds of baggage.

Kind of harsh don't you think? Without knowing what happened I don't think it's fair to call it "baggage". I bet the two are related. Just because Adrian Peterson decides to play during a personal matter doesn't make it the norm.

AngeloV
10-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Kind of harsh don't you think? Without knowing what happened I don't think it's fair to call it "baggage". I bet the two are related. Just because Adrian Peterson decides to play during a personal matter doesn't make it the norm.

No Gabe you are wrong. He should make it his #1 priority to make sure everyone on this forum is happy.

1argoholic
10-14-2013, 10:39 PM
It's the not knowing what the hell is going on with Watkins that has me upset. If it's an urgent family matter that's one thing but this is twice now. We're not sure what the hell is going on and this has an effect. The D looked lost out there today.

AngeloV
10-14-2013, 11:23 PM
It's the not knowing what the hell is going on with Watkins that has me upset. If it's an urgent family matter that's one thing but this is twice now. We're not sure what the hell is going on and this has an effect. The D looked lost out there today.

Could be that it's nobody's business. Just because he is a public figure, it doesn't mean his personal business should be made public. If I had to miss work for personal reasons, and I told my bosses about them, I would trust that they wouldn't tell my co-workers anything more than simply, it is for personal reasons. I think pro athletes deserve the same courtesy.

paulwoods13
10-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Could be that it's nobody's business. Just because he is a public figure, it doesn't mean his personal business should be made public. If I had to miss work for personal reasons, and I told my bosses about them, I would trust that they wouldn't tell my co-workers anything more than simply, it is for personal reasons. I think pro athletes deserve the same courtesy.

I agree completely.

matchuk
10-15-2013, 01:46 PM
i dont care what his personal issues are, however, i think the argos should be looking at someone else to take over his spot on a regular basis if/when he decides not to show up...missing training camp plus this game has me concerned that he might be MIA at some point in time, i hope not, but the argos need to be ready

1argoholic
10-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Watkins seems to have life pretty good when it comes to the Argos. Anytime he needs a training camp or a few games off, he gets it. They need to find his replacement.

argotom
10-15-2013, 10:31 PM
No question we have no info into the locker room, however now with the Watkins situation all of a sudden it appears there is a crack.

gilthethrill
10-19-2013, 01:51 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting John Helton at the CFL HOF induction dinner in 2009, when Pinball, Flutie, Pringle & Bonk were inducted. I was there with my then very pregnant wife. Mr Helton told me (yes, you listen to him when he talks), that family comes first. I simply believe that the Argonaut organization realizes this in the case of Patrick Watkins, who simply appears to be doing just that...putting his family first.

ArgoZ
10-20-2013, 11:45 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting John Helton at the CFL HOF induction dinner in 2009, when Pinball, Flutie, Pringle & Bonk were inducted. I was there with my then very pregnant wife. Mr Helton told me (yes, you listen to him when he talks), that family comes first. I simply believe that the Argonaut organization realizes this in the case of Patrick Watkins, who simply appears to be doing just that...putting his family first.

No one should disagree with this... Here is the hard truth though when it comes to business. Having an understanding employer is great. There eventually comes a time when your "problems", no matter how sincere they are, start negatively affecting the profitability of the business. When this happens, it will be time to part ways. If what you do affects other employees ability to be successful and thus make a living for their families, you will be the odd man out no matter how terrible your problems are.

ArgoGabe22
10-20-2013, 01:22 PM
No one should disagree with this... Here is the hard truth though when it comes to business. Having an understanding employer is great. There eventually comes a time when your "problems", no matter how sincere they are, start negatively affecting the profitability of the business. When this happens, it will be time to part ways. If what you do affects other employees ability to be successful and thus make a living for their families, you will be the odd man out no matter how terrible your problems are.

So when Anthony Calvillo took a leave of absence not once but twice due to cancer, the Als should have released him? Some businesses like Wal Mart would no doubt part ways but a football team is like a family and I think the whole team would support Patrick and understand the situation. I can't believe we're even talking about this (I mean the thread as a whole). He missed one game, Thorpe filled in. End of story.

ArgoZ
10-20-2013, 01:29 PM
No one said Watkins should be released, as no one suggested Calvillo either. Watkins missed this years training camp also. If Calvillo were to keep missing subsequent time with the team, then yes they need to replace him in due time. A business can't succeed otherwise. Football I would say is far more less forgiving than a company like Walmart. Bad comparison, as pro sports can be as cut throat as they get.

matchuk
10-20-2013, 08:22 PM
So when Anthony Calvillo took a leave of absence not once but twice due to cancer, the Als should have released him? Some businesses like Wal Mart would no doubt part ways but a football team is like a family and I think the whole team would support Patrick and understand the situation. I can't believe we're even talking about this (I mean the thread as a whole). He missed one game, Thorpe filled in. End of story.

i dont believe anyone here said watkins should be released...i know that i said the argos need to find a good replacement for if/when watkins doesnt play...who knows when he might leave and not come back...the team needs to be prepared for that...

Wobbler
10-20-2013, 08:37 PM
A) It's totally reasonable to be concerned when a key player goes on the suspended list twice in one season and we have no idea when it might happen again

B) Neiko Thorpe did a good job in Watkins' absence, so we probably don't need to worry too much

paulwoods13
10-20-2013, 09:32 PM
A) It's totally reasonable to be concerned when a key player goes on the suspended list twice in one season and we have no idea when it might happen again

B) Neiko Thorpe did a good job in Watkins' absence, so we probably don't need to worry too much

We also have no idea IF it will ever happen again. Saying "when" implies it is to be expected, which I don't think is the case.

I will reserve judgment on Thorpe. It's possible he could be an adequate replacement for a proven performer like Watkins, but he has played one game and it was a loss in which our secondary looked vulnerable.

Wobbler
10-20-2013, 09:56 PM
We also have no idea IF it will ever happen again. Saying "when" implies it is to be expected, which I don't think is the case.
...and "might" implies that it is merely a possibility. Let's not quibble.

I will reserve judgment on Thorpe. It's possible he could be an adequate replacement for a proven performer like Watkins, but he has played one game and it was a loss in which our secondary looked vulnerable.
I was giving the benefit of the doubt in both instances and trying to put this topic to rest. Hint.

paulwoods13
10-21-2013, 08:16 AM
I was giving the benefit of the doubt in both instances and trying to put this topic to rest. Hint.

I'm certainly happy to put the topic of Watkins' absence to rest. I don't have any issue with anyone discussing the capabilities of new players like Thorpe, though, and in this case that topic happened to pop up in this thread.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8