PDA

View Full Version : Jim Barker to Winnipeg?

doubleblue
10-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Saw mention in a Toronto Sun article this morning that there was a possibility of Jim Barker being offered the GM/Vice President position with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Generally when there's smoke there's fire. It might be a tempting job for him to have complete control of a team. He is a great talent finder, as he proved in Calgary and now here. I have never gotten the impression that he is very tight with Rudge or Braley. If this ever happens, where does that leave Milanovich. Would he be ready for the combined GM/HC Coach job, or might he be heading to the NFL like Trestman.

Mulder
10-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Saw mention in a Toronto Sun article this morning that there was a possibility of Jim Barker being offered the GM/Vice President position with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Generally when there's smoke there's fire. It might be a tempting job for him to have complete control of a team. He is a great talent finder, as he proved in Calgary and now here. I have never gotten the impression that he is very tight with Rudge or Braley. If this ever happens, where does that leave Milanovich. Would he be ready for the combined GM/HC Coach job, or might he be heading to the NFL like Trestman.

Jones is already recruiting his talent and part time GM no?

AngeloV
10-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Jones is already recruiting his talent and part time GM no?

If Jones was promoted to GM, then Milo goes from being his boss to his employee. That can be a bad situation. I would hope that if Barker were to leave, they would give Milo the GM title.

ArgoRavi
10-23-2013, 03:51 PM
If Jones was promoted to GM, then Milo goes from being his boss to his employee. That can be a bad situation. I would hope that if Barker were to leave, they would give Milo the GM title.

Does it matter that Jones and Milo are best friends? Perhaps titles would be less important to them as long as they can continue working together. Regarding the Barker rumour, it may be more wishful thinking out of the Winnipeg media than anything else. Barker was up for the GM job there when they hired Joe Mack a few years back and that was quite obviously the wrong move in hindsight.

argos1873
10-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Does it matter that Jones and Milo are best friends? Perhaps titles would be less important to them as long as they can continue working together.

I was thinking the same thing. If the relationship is solid, it wouldn't matter. In fact depending on how the organization is run, a promotion of Jones may somewhat depend on an endorsement from Milo.

Rich
10-23-2013, 06:49 PM
It might be a tempting job for him to have complete control of a team.

How does Barker NOT have complete control of the Argos football operations? How much more control could he possibly have?

Midnight Blue
10-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Besides, we have a Dynasty to deliver, and perpetuate.

Ka' Pla !

doubleblue
10-23-2013, 08:56 PM
How does Barker NOT have complete control of the Argos football operations? How much more control could he possibly have? I have no idea you tell me.

gilthethrill
10-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Wasn't there a rumour around the same time last year that the Argos were not going to renew Barker's contract? Barker to Winnipeg? Rubbish I say, rubbish! Winnipeg's BOG wouldnt know a good football man if he slapped him in the face..repeatedly.

OV Argo
10-23-2013, 10:19 PM
I'd much rather see Miller and Walters get a real shot to control the Bombers fortunes for awhile = 2 veteran Canadian football guys = rare in today's CFL. Bombers BOG ? - are they that clueless really? - i guess so if they hired the likes of Mack, Burke, Crowton, but there's always next year in football - the most what have you done for me lately of sports; they did get to the GC just a couple of seasons back = not such a huge accomplishment in the 8 team, same old look CFL.

Bombers had a bad season but maybe they ain't that bad IMO - they just lack a solid QB for the most part - and they might be able to acquire one of the young guns who have got to play and impressed some this year - maybe one of Collaros, Mitchell, LeFevour, Tate OR find a good new QB of their own - not out of the question. Their defence put up the 2 most dominant performances of the season IMO and maybe they can retain a lot of the talent there to help form a solid team.

larz-7
10-23-2013, 10:51 PM
cant see Barker taking the job next year in bomber land.we just had a little bit of a scandal in winnipeg at the city level .one of the people involved was as of today on the board of the bombers.he stepped down off the board today.until they straighten out the mess and the bog that runs the bombers who would want the job.

argotom
10-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I do think the Bombers have to do something drastic with the football operation side. With a beautiful new stadium and a horrid record, they must hire proven and experienced staff so someone like Barker going there may not be as far fetched. Especially since Jim was the runner up in Winnipeg before the Argos hired him.

Rich
10-24-2013, 03:28 AM
I have no idea you tell me.

Usually, when people post things, they have some idea of what their own words meant.

Argonauter
10-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Thats not good news. What article was this?

ArgoRavi
10-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I'd much rather see Miller and Walters get a real shot to control the Bombers fortunes for awhile = 2 veteran Canadian football guys = rare in today's CFL. Bombers BOG ? - are they that clueless really? - i guess so if they hired the likes of Mack, Burke, Crowton, but there's always next year in football - the most what have you done for me lately of sports; they did get to the GC just a couple of seasons back = not such a huge accomplishment in the 8 team, same old look CFL.

What has Miller accomplished as an executive in Canadian football so far? I am not saying that he should not be the CEO or whatever they call it in Winnipeg but he has no track record. Walters seemed to be in over his head as a special teams coach so he doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in a higher position although maybe he would be a better GM. Still, that is a risky hire IMO and I am not sure that the Bombers want to assume that level of risk at this point.

Yes, the Bombers got to the Grey Cup two years ago but that was as a result of a strong start to the season (7-1) and Montreal and Hamilton pretty much falling apart as the season progressed that year. In fact, after their 7-1 start that year, the Bombers had the worst record in the league for the rest of the 2010 season. This has not been a good team for quite a long time and they require a major overhaul IMO.

paulwoods13
10-24-2013, 12:44 PM
I'd much rather see Miller and Walters get a real shot to control the Bombers fortunes for awhile = 2 veteran Canadian football guys = rare in today's CFL. Bombers BOG ? - are they that clueless really?

OV, are you suggesting that choosing Barker as GM over those two guys would be evidence of cluelessness? If so, I really have to disagree. I'm not saying those two might not be worth taking a chance on, but to be called clueless if they were to choose a Cup-winning, experienced GM over them seems a tad harsh. Not that I believe Barker will go there.

OV Argo
10-24-2013, 06:52 PM
OV, are you suggesting that choosing Barker as GM over those two guys would be evidence of cluelessness? If so, I really have to disagree. I'm not saying those two might not be worth taking a chance on, but to be called clueless if they were to choose a Cup-winning, experienced GM over them seems a tad harsh. Not that I believe Barker will go there.

??? huh ? - i was saying whoever from Bomberland that hired the likes of Mack and Crowton - guys with next to zip-o experience in Canadian football - was clueless; and not that hiring Jim Barker - CFL experienced and helped the Argos to a GC last year would be a bad move at all.

And BTW Ravi - Wade Miller and Kyle Walters grew up in Canadian football - played the game watched, coached, etc. +, played in the CFL for years = very experienced Canadian football people; but maybe you'd rather see the likes of Mack or Bart Andrus or Dan Hawkins or Mavis Reed & Mr. Ed constantly handed the keys to running CFL teams and Canadian football people never given real shots to be in charge?

ArgoRavi
10-24-2013, 07:17 PM
And BTW Ravi - Wade Miller and Kyle Walters grew up in Canadian football - played the game watched, coached, etc. +, played in the CFL for years = very experienced Canadian football people; but maybe you'd rather see the likes of Mack or Bart Andrus or Dan Hawkins or Mavis Reed & Mr. Ed constantly handed the keys to running CFL teams and Canadian football people never given real shots to be in charge?

Did I say that, OV? Miller has no track record running a football organization and Walters was not a good special teams coach so both of these individuals as long-term solutions would be quite risky IMO. Walters was also Mack's assistant and may be more part of the problem than part of the solution but, again, that is only my opinion.

paulwoods13
10-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Ravi's well aware of their Cdn football pedigree, but growing up in Cdn football does not automatically make someone a legit candidate for GM or coach in this league. Nor does growing up in the U.S. game. For every Andrus and Hawkins there are a few Trestmans and Milanovichs. We don't know whether or not someone will succeed until they are in the role. No one knew in advance how well Trestman would do, or how poorly Andrus would do. And no one knows now how well Miller/Walters will do, if they end up staying with the Bombers. Certainly there is no guarantee they will succeed, even if they can somehow overcome the ole boys network blah blah blah.

Argonauter
10-25-2013, 11:11 AM
I'd still like to see this article in question that talks about this rumour.

bluto
10-25-2013, 11:57 AM
I'd still like to see this article in question that talks about this rumour.

it was a Kirk Penton piece in the Winnipeg Sun. mostly came off as wishful thinking...

7dj83r8f78t4alf8