PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Maybin

ArgoRavi
10-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Those who follow the NFL more closely will know more about Aaron Maybin than I do but he was a guest of the Argos for tonight's game and may be on the verge of signing with the team. He is a linebacker who was a first round pick of the Buffalo Bills back in 2009 so I guess that he is familiar with playing at SkyDome anyway.

http://metronews.ca/sports/834559/argos-have-maybin-at-game-as-their-guest/

doubleblue
10-25-2013, 09:45 AM
So that was the guy that Barker was shepherding around on the side lines. I was thinking he might be a new player because of that.

jerrym
10-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Here are Maybin's NFL stats. What jumps out is that he had 6 sacks in 13 games, something the Argos need more of (or at least pressures), in 2011. Furthermore, he is only 25.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MaybAa99.htm

Argo57
10-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Sign him and get him in, need a boost up front on the D Line.
Front 4 performance is the biggest deficiency from last years Championship team.

gilthethrill
10-26-2013, 10:10 AM
TSN hints that Maybin may dress against Montreal on Friday. If he he shows well he has 2 weeks of preparation for the EF. My question is this, would Jones employ him as a strict situational pass rusher or use him in a similar capacity as Ricky Foley. Maybin also played LB in the NFL, so I assume he has cover skills as well.

paulwoods13
10-26-2013, 11:42 AM
If by similar to Foley you mean dropping him into coverage at times, that's what all of our DEs have been doing this year, and even our DTs (except for Khalif) at times. I would think Maybin, as a former LB who can also edge-rush, could be a decent fit and quite possibly an upgrade over what has been a pedestrian group (apart from Horton, who is having a decent season but is not even close to a true DE). One thing's for sure, IMO -- he either plays against Montreal or not at all. You can't insert a guy into the EF who has never played in the CFL before. I wonder if the Argos have a handshake agreement to release him after the season so he can pursue NFL opportunities next year.

Argo
10-26-2013, 12:09 PM
I wonder if the Argos have a handshake agreement to release him after the season so he can pursue NFL opportunities next year.

If he plays, and plays well, and there is such an agreement, I guess we have another example of the CFL-as-feeder-league, complete with plug-and-play and constant player turnover. Chalk it up to (Barker et al.) making the best of a bad situation?

ArgoRavi
10-26-2013, 12:43 PM
If he plays, and plays well, and there is such an agreement, I guess we have another example of the CFL-as-feeder-league, complete with plug-and-play and constant player turnover. Chalk it up to (Barker et al.) making the best of a bad situation?

Does any pro sports league not have this? It is impossible to keep up with all of the player movement in the NHL and MLB, for example.

Wobbler
10-26-2013, 01:00 PM
There are a lot of "ifs" in this line of reasoning. Maybin was in the NFL for five years with three different teams and has been given a lot of opportunities. I suspect that our delay in signing him is because of health/conditioning issues (as implied by Zicarelli's article) and that he's not in a particularly strong bargaining position. He would need to perform brilliantly for us in order to get meaningful attention, and that would be fine by me!

1argoholic
10-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Personally I'm sick of the crazy player movement. No doubt I'm very old school and I'm sick about much of today's have everything NOW society. Cars have become like socks and you have to replace your car every year.Technology being foced down peoples throats with every second tv commercial is insane. Players come and go so fast you can barely keep up as a fan. The list goes on. Too bad we couldn't just develop a team and keep it going for years. We've seen the last of the Edmonton Eskimos domintate type run that coined helped coin the phrase City Of Champions. That will never ever happen again with the way players jump around, get ditched etc. I realize that I'm in the minority as most people have been caught up in the lifes too fast lane. Hell I'm going the other way.

My hope having said all that is that we find a guy perhaps like this Maybin who sticks around.

argonaut11xx
10-26-2013, 03:34 PM
The Maybin situation probably has the same "handshake" agreement as Armstead had with GM Barker.

That said, i agree with the Old Fart's comments above...low tech rocks...do children even "go out and play" anymore?...

Would be awesome to see a core group of players to build on, but do we as fan's have that kind of patients these days?...

gilthethrill
10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I was of the thinking Maybin's NFL career maybe over due to his salary, he could easily be replaced by a cheaper player. I could see him with the Argos next season.

cflsteve
10-27-2013, 01:36 PM
I was of the thinking Maybin's NFL career maybe over due to his salary, he could easily be replaced by a cheaper player. I could see him with the Argos next season.

Yup much different situation than Armstead. Maybin has exhausted his NFL options pretty much or he would not be here. Probably doubtful that he would receive any real NFL interest next season and would probably have to string together 2 great seasons in Toronto for an NFL team to show interest again since he would still only be 27.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Yup much different situation than Armstead. Maybin has exhausted his NFL options pretty much or he would not be here. Probably doubtful that he would receive any real NFL interest next season and would probably have to string together 2 great seasons in Toronto for an NFL team to show interest again since he would still only be 27.

I agree with you and gilthethrill. Maybin has been available for several months with no takers in the NFL. He hasn't played a meaningful down in a year. Even if he plays outstanding ball for three games up here, I doubt that will change his NFL status much. His situation is much different than Armstead's.

paulwoods13
10-27-2013, 04:20 PM
It may be true that he has few if any NFL options at the moment, but does he himself believe that? I doubt it, which is why I think he might have made a deal to get out of an Argo contract after the season.

1argoholic
10-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Argos transactions state that Maybin and two others were released Oct 27th. Then on the roster page it has them signing. Nice work on the site!!!

Wobbler
10-27-2013, 06:16 PM
We officially signed Maybin today (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=435191), along with kicker Quinn Sharp.

Austin English was released from the PR, which may be evidence of the position Maybin will play.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2013, 08:13 PM
We officially signed Maybin today (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=435191), along with kicker Quinn Sharp.

Austin English was released from the PR, which may be evidence of the position Maybin will play.

I was never impressed with English and thought that he played terribly on Thanksgiving Monday. Hopefully we will get an idea of what Maybin can offer on Friday night.

Argo57
10-27-2013, 08:45 PM
I was never impressed with English and thought that he played terribly on Thanksgiving Monday. Hopefully we will get an idea of what Maybin can offer on Friday night.

Certainly can't be any less effective than English turned out to be, should be interesting to see him in action Friday!!!

argos1873
10-27-2013, 08:50 PM

I guess Sharp goes on the PR for insurance against a Waters injury. But what's with another import kicker? There was a time when import kickers were almost unheard of and the non-imports did just fine. Is there a shortage of Canadian kickers recently? I believe that the kicker position is important enough to have the best player available regardless of the ratio hit, but what happened to all the NI kickers?

Wobbler
10-27-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't think anyone was impressed with English. We considered several other potential replacements for Flemons this year (Lyle, Geathers, Marah, Horsley, Nduka, Brown, Leak, Fritz, and Hendricks in addition to English), and it's a bit unsettling that English was apparently better than all of them. The bar seems pretty low for Maybin!

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Maybin is the youngest 1st round NFL pick to sign with a CFL club in a long time. He is a bust NFL wise but hopefully he`ll be more suited to the CFL and if successful, maybe he`ll realize that this is where he belongs.

At this rate they should`ve just kept Flemons but with him being a vet, I`m guessing his salary would be an issue.

flafson
10-28-2013, 01:02 AM
So what is his position? Everywhere i read it says lineman but his size suggests linebacker or safety.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2013, 01:09 AM
I guess Sharp goes on the PR for insurance against a Waters injury. But what's with another import kicker? There was a time when import kickers were almost unheard of and the non-imports did just fine. Is there a shortage of Canadian kickers recently? I believe that the kicker position is important enough to have the best player available regardless of the ratio hit, but what happened to all the NI kickers?

There seem to be more decent non-import kickers around now than there has been in a while. Edmonton has two young ones in Hugh O'Neill and Grant Shaw while Hamilton has had three on their roster this year including former Montreal first round pick Brodie McKnight (is he still there?). Calgary has two excellent Canadian kickers too. Justin Palardy wasn't bad in Winnipeg but seems to be out of a job now. I am not sure why the Argos specificially brought Sharp in but I guess that they must think that he has a strong leg. From what I saw on Wikipedia, he has punted and done kickoffs but I don't think that he has been a FG kicker. I imagine that Prefontaine could be pulled off of the 9-game injured list in a pinch if necessary.

As for why we see more import kickers, you need look no further than the expanded rosters of recent years for your answer. Roster size has grown from 34 players back in the 1980s to the 42 of today and that includes an additional six imports if I am not mistaken.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2013, 01:13 AM
So what is his position? Everywhere i read it says lineman but his size suggests linebacker or safety.

There seems to be an assumption that the Argos will look at him as a defensive end. I think that he was mostly a linebacker in the NFL but I am not sure. He had a few sacks with the Jets in 2011.

paulwoods13
10-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Hamilton has had three on their roster this year including former Montreal first round pick Brodie McKnight (is he still there?).

As for why we see more import kickers, you need look no further than the expanded rosters of recent years for your answer. Roster size has grown from 34 players back in the 1980s to the 42 of today and that includes an additional six imports if I am not mistaken.

McKnight was released by Hamilton. I have to assume the Argos felt neither he nor Palardy offered as much as Sharp. You are correct -- with 19 imports including three designated as non-starters, it is no big deal for teams to carry an import kicker these days. But no one is likely to repeat the Argos' "feat" of dressing two import kickers (Medlock and Johnson) for a few games in 2008.

doubleblue
10-28-2013, 02:41 PM
I guess Sharp goes on the PR for insurance against a Waters injury. But what's with another import kicker? There was a time when import kickers were almost unheard of and the non-imports did just fine. Is there a shortage of Canadian kickers recently? I believe that the kicker position is important enough to have the best player available regardless of the ratio hit, but what happened to all the NI kickers? I was just thinking of the kickers the other day, how we are not seeing the likes of Ilesic, Chomyc, Sweet, Obaldiston and Cutler to name some off the top of my head in the league now. The kid in Calgary looks good now and of course the old timer in BC, but no other Canadian kicker seems to stand out. I think there are about three Canadians in the NFL that in the old days would probably have played their career in the CFL. Maybe that is part of the reason and just not enough Canadian depth at the kick position.

doubleblue
10-28-2013, 02:46 PM
There seems to be an assumption that the Argos will look at him as a defensive end. I think that he was mostly a linebacker in the NFL but I am not sure. He had a few sacks with the Jets in 2011. I think that would be the thinking. Put him at Rush End and see if he can get to the QB's a few times or hurry them. Most of the good Rush Ends that have gone the other way, end up as Linebackers down South. 6'04 240 with speed and quickness he could have success up here with the extra space.

Argo
10-28-2013, 07:58 PM
I think that would be the thinking. Put him at Rush End and see if he can get to the QB's a few times or hurry them. Most of the good Rush Ends that have gone the other way, end up as Linebackers down South. 6'04 240 with speed and quickness he could have success up here with the extra space.

I don't like that train of thought, whereas I do like the sound of 6'04" and 240 lbs. playing linebacker. Really, can the Argos' brain trust not locate and sign a genuine, high-quality DE ?

Argo
10-28-2013, 08:09 PM
There seem to be more decent non-import kickers around now than there has been in a while. Edmonton has two young ones in Hugh O'Neill and Grant Shaw

...neither of whom can be relied upon to successfully kick field goals, alas.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I was just thinking of the kickers the other day, how we are not seeing the likes of Ilesic, Chomyc, Sweet, Obaldiston and Cutler to name some off the top of my head in the league now. The kid in Calgary looks good now and of course the old timer in BC, but no other Canadian kicker seems to stand out. I think there are about three Canadians in the NFL that in the old days would probably have played their career in the CFL. Maybe that is part of the reason and just not enough Canadian depth at the kick position.

It would be interesting to compare FG percentages today to twenty, thirty and forty years ago. I think that you would actually find that FG percentages today are much higher. Dave Cutler is considered to be an all-time great but I don't think that his career FG percentage is much more than 60%. Ilesic was an outstanding punter but his FG kicking left much to be desired. Much more is expected out of kickers today than was the case many years ago IMO.

OV Argo
10-28-2013, 10:36 PM
I was just thinking of the kickers the other day, how we are not seeing the likes of Ilesic, Chomyc, Sweet, Obaldiston and Cutler to name some off the top of my head in the league now. The kid in Calgary looks good now and of course the old timer in BC, but no other Canadian kicker seems to stand out. I think there are about three Canadians in the NFL that in the old days would probably have played their career in the CFL. Maybe that is part of the reason and just not enough Canadian depth at the kick position.

I disagree - big-time; a few years back seemed to be a time of weak kicking game in the CFL, but not anymore IMO; that "kid in Calgary" is one of the most accurate FG kickers in all of football, and their punter Maver is outstanding; and all sorts of good to pretty decent punters and place kickers in the league now - Shaw has a real strong leg; Whyte is pretty decent as a dual kicker for the Als; Milo, Renaud; Duck Dynasty, Lauther have played as younguns; McKnight still around somewhere?; and upcoming in the draft - Mac's place kicker Crapigna seems like a good one, and Laval's dual kicker Bede has a booming leg (that i think will draw NFL interest). Give some of these young guys some time and i think you will see some real solid careers.

OV Argo
10-28-2013, 10:55 PM
There seems to be an assumption that the Argos will look at him as a defensive end. I think that he was mostly a linebacker in the NFL but I am not sure. He had a few sacks with the Jets in 2011.

6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles ! - in limited playing time with the Jets then; he is a DE by trade i believe, but the NFL sometimes converts smaller DEs to rush linebackers.

Worth giving this Maybin guy a look in the final game IMO; but if he & that other ex-NFLer who played last game at DT (and looked solid IMO) are the starters in the play-offs - not sure that speaks well to talent evaluation from TC on in for an Argo D-Line that had huge replacement needs coming in this year - 2 raw to the CFL game guys as your starters in the biggest game(s) = smacks of NFL air-lift desperation that was common to a lot of $hitty Argo and CFL teams in the past; still think David Lee has potential at DE (did not play last game - why ???). Horton - not a true DE but plays in Jones' system - has made plays this season; him and Lee at DE, with Mitchell and Laing at DT might be able to get it done in the big play-off games ?

Nob
10-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Just a quick thought on the import kicker - is he around for a "look see" in case the Argos don't protect Waters in the dispersal draft and Ottawa takes him?

Argo57
10-29-2013, 01:10 AM
6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles ! - in limited playing time with the Jets then; he is a DE by trade i believe, but the NFL sometimes converts smaller DEs to rush linebackers.

Worth giving this Maybin guy a look in the final game IMO; but if he & that other ex-NFLer who played last game at DT (and looked solid IMO) are the starters in the play-offs - not sure that speaks well to talent evaluation from TC on in for an Argo D-Line that had huge replacement needs coming in this year - 2 raw to the CFL game guys as your starters in the biggest game(s) = smacks of NFL air-lift desperation that was common to a lot of $hitty Argo and CFL teams in the past; still think David Lee has potential at DE (did not play last game - why ???). Horton - not a true DE but plays in Jones' system - has made plays this season; him and Lee at DE, with Mitchell and Laing at DT might be able to get it done in the big play-off games ?

Actually, although I am very interested to see what Maybin can do on Friday I find the fact that the defending champs are auditioning D-Lineman this late in the season quite concerning.
Last season the Argos had an established group that started to dominate and gel at the right time, this year I see none of that.
Depending on what unfolds in the next few weeks failure to adequately address this part of the D this past off season could bite us in the ass!!
Hopefully not but we'll see!!

ArgoRavi
10-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Actually, although I am very interested to see what Maybin can do on Friday I find the fact that the defending champs are auditioning D-Lineman this late in the season quite concerning.
Last season the Argos had an established group that started to dominate and gel at the right time, this year I see none of that.
Depending on what unfolds in the next few weeks failure to adequately address this part of the D this past off season could bite us in the ass!!
Hopefully not but we'll see!!

Even last year, the Argos did bring Adriano Belli back for the final two regular season games. Their secondary did not get settled entirely either until the last two or three games but there didn't seem to be as much turnover in general last year on defence as has been the case this season. I agree that things are a bit too unsettled for my liking at this point.

Argo57
10-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Even last year, the Argos did bring Adriano Belli back for the final two regular season games. Their secondary did not get settled entirely either until the last two or three games but there didn't seem to be as much turnover in general last year on defence as has been the case this season. I agree that things are a bit too unsettled for my liking at this point.

Very true Ravi, at least with Belli they knew what they were getting.

paulwoods13
10-29-2013, 03:10 PM
I don't think there's any question that the Argos' recruiting on defence this year left a lot to be desired. It's been evident from the start of the season, and some of us have said it more than once. Most of the new guys who came to camp have been found wanting.

Argo57
10-29-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't think there's any question that the Argos' recruiting on defence this year left a lot to be desired. It's been evident from the start of the season, and some of us have said it more than once. Most of the new guys who came to camp have been found wanting.

Hopefully they have learned their lesson and upgrade their recruiting efforts this coming off season!

argolio
10-29-2013, 09:21 PM
I don't think there's any question that the Argos' recruiting on defence this year left a lot to be desired. It's been evident from the start of the season, and some of us have said it more than once. Most of the new guys who came to camp have been found wanting.Considering we lost two guys (Younger and Horne) in camp who were expected to be key contributors, I think we've done fairly well. We're last in the league in yards allowed, but we're in the middle of the pack in points allowed, and we're doing a good job forcing turnovers.

bluto
10-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Considering we lost two guys (Younger and Horne) in camp who were expected to be key contributors, I think we've done fairly well. We're last in the league in yards allowed, but we're in the middle of the pack in points allowed, and we're doing a good job forcing turnovers.

was just about to say the same thing, argolio.

when you add to that all of Watkins' injuriy/personal issue woes and that Jalil Carter seems to have had a sophomore slump after a promising beginning in last years run-in to the GC, i find it difficult to blame our recruiters.

ArgoRavi
10-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Considering we lost two guys (Younger and Horne) in camp who were expected to be key contributors, I think we've done fairly well. We're last in the league in yards allowed, but we're in the middle of the pack in points allowed, and we're doing a good job forcing turnovers.

The Argos also have the best red zone defence in the league.

argos1873
10-30-2013, 12:19 AM

That would explain the yards against vs points against statistics.

jerrym
10-30-2013, 01:44 AM
Although its operation is somewhat different, our defence seems to run on the same basic principle as Rich Stubler's Argo's defensive system from 2003 to 2008 that won us a Grey Cup in 2004 - give up yardage but prevent the long one and tighten up in the red zone.

D-Gap-Willie
10-31-2013, 04:17 AM

No question that we lost Younger and Harris, and that Watkins and Carter have had some challenges this year, but all those problems are in the back 5 - the comments about questionable recruiting and last minutes tryouts relate to the front 7, and more specifically the front 4, where there seems to be little, if any, week to week improvement. No run defence - no pass rush.

Looking for potential starters in the last game or two of the season, smacks of desperation, and yes our d-line is a that bad. Not a good situation !

If you must do it, at least also try a little of McCune at rush DE and Maybin at MLB. I really don't believe Maybin is anywhere near 240 - he looks more like 225/230 at the most.

mchesher03
10-31-2013, 01:27 PM
maybe it was buried earlier but with all the talk of the d-line, imagine them without Khalif Mitchell! scary prospect indeed, he's played quite well this year.

bluto
10-31-2013, 01:46 PM
somewhere... Area51's head is ready to explode because he can't sound off on our D-Line's talent level and mode of deployment...

doubleblue
10-31-2013, 02:43 PM
maybe it was buried earlier but with all the talk of the d-line, imagine them without Khalif Mitchell! scary prospect indeed, he's played quite well this year. The Argos have appeared to have a rather porous d-line this year against the run. I thought the addition of the new DT Thomas helped quite a bit last game against Winnipeg. We will have to see if he can bring it consistently. I remember a another former NFL "star" a couple of years ago, Claude Wroten, who looked pretty good in his first game and then kind of ran out of steam.

argolio
10-31-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't think our d-line has been porous. Our rush defense is 7th, but when you look at the numbers we're only 23 yards per game behind #1 (Montreal), but 33 yards ahead of #8 (Edmonton). We're also tied for 3rd in the league in yards given up per rush.

It's the pass defense numbers that hurt us, but we are 5th in completion percentage allowed and tied for 3rd in interceptions, so it's not all doom and gloom. Though I'm sure we'd all like to see a few more sacks and pressures

D-Gap-Willie
11-01-2013, 02:28 AM
I don't think our d-line has been porous. Our rush defense is 7th, but when you look at the numbers we're only 23 yards per game behind #1 (Montreal), but 33 yards ahead of #8 (Edmonton). We're also tied for 3rd in the league in yards given up per rush.

It's the pass defense numbers that hurt us, but we are 5th in completion percentage allowed and tied for 3rd in interceptions, so it's not all doom and gloom. Though I'm sure we'd all like to see a few more sacks and pressures

We can look for some solace in the stats, or dream of more sacks and pressures, but the only real comfort is in winning games. How many games have we won this year because of our defense ? How far will the number 8 defense in the league ( 414 yards per game) carry us in this post season ? These are the real questions.

Will
11-01-2013, 01:56 PM
We can look for some solace in the stats, or dream of more sacks and pressures, but the only real comfort is in winning games. How many games have we won this year because of our defense ? How far will the number 8 defense in the league ( 414 yards per game) carry us in this post season ? These are the real questions.

Out of our 11 wins? The wins over Winnipeg, BC and Montreal in July and early August weren't necessarily won by our defense, but the D played well in both. They played well in the second half of games during the four-game winning streak.

doubleblue
11-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Getting back to Aaron Maybin. He looks like he can become a useful player. Has speed and quickness. If he could add about 10-15 lbs of muscle he might be more effective at RE. But if they couldn't get him to do that in four years in the NFL maybe he is what he is. Looks to be about 220 instead of the listed 237. Maybe he would be more effective playing OLB where he can use his speed to pursue ball carriers, drop in coverage and come off the edge on a QB blitz.

ArgoZ
11-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Getting back to Aaron Maybin. He looks like he can become a useful player. Has speed and quickness. If he could add about 10-15 lbs of muscle he might be more effective at RE. But if they couldn't get him to do that in four years in the NFL maybe he is what he is. Looks to be about 220 instead of the listed 237. Maybe he would be more effective playing OLB where he can use his speed to pursue ball carriers, drop in coverage and come off the edge on a QB blitz.

It all depends on what kind of system the teams wants to use. He definitely fits our drop back DE strategy. No way can he be a successful DE in the NFL with that build.

ArgoGabe22
11-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Maybin brought some pressure to Smith. Never got the sack but seemed to be Smith's face more than any of the other DEs. He looked pretty quick at times. Remember Paige-Moss and Geathers also looked good vs Hamilton last year and both of them didn't make it past camp.

flafson
11-02-2013, 10:31 AM
He looks more like a linebacker IMO.

Argo57
11-02-2013, 06:53 PM
It all depends on what kind of system the teams wants to use. He definitely fits our drop back DE strategy. No way can he be a successful DE in the NFL with that build.

He should start taking the same protein powder that McCune uses and he will be fine.

Argo
11-04-2013, 10:40 PM
If he isn't the next James "Quick" Parker, I'd much rather see Maybin playing (and perhaps excelling at) linebacker (very likely where he and his physique belong) and a genuine DE signed (somehow).

ArgoGabe22
11-05-2013, 09:29 AM
If he isn't the next James "Quick" Parker, I'd much rather see Maybin playing (and perhaps excelling at) linebacker (very likely where he and his physique belong) and a genuine DE signed (somehow).

That's the thing with Jones' defence, he doesn't really have a true DE ex. Horton taking snaps at DE late in the game. I expect Maybin to be a DE for at least until the end of the season.

paulwoods13
11-05-2013, 10:05 AM
That's the thing with Jones' defence, he doesn't really have a true DE ex. Horton taking snaps at DE late in the game. I expect Maybin to be a DE for at least until the end of the season.

You are correct -- defensive end as we all understand the position has pretty well disappeared from this defence. Horton takes snaps at DE all game, not just at the end. But often he lines up at DE, then drops into coverage. I've even seen 300-pound Cleyon Laing dropping into coverage from the end position.

Argo
11-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh, the humanity!

Please, Barkey, go out and sign an Eric England clone!

AngeloV
11-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Oh, the humanity!

Please, Barkey, go out and sign an Eric England clone!

Damn..was he a good player!!!

OV Argo
11-05-2013, 09:31 PM
You are correct -- defensive end as we all understand the position has pretty well disappeared from this defence. Horton takes snaps at DE all game, not just at the end. But often he lines up at DE, then drops into coverage. I've even seen 300-pound Cleyon Laing dropping into coverage from the end position.

Jones seems to like to play games to try to disguise things and confuse the offence - D-Line dropping into coverage, OLBs and DBs blitzing at different times; problem is - it is not working that well this year; just not enough pass rush pressure. The traditional 4-3 is not being used much, but maybe it should be a bit more - let the 4 D-linemen come up field on pass rush, supplemented at times by a blitzer (why is McCune - who was a good pass rusher on the Stamps D at times, not getting sent that much?); they can get away with playing a 215 lb. Horton (former college ball safety who got converted to LB and is now playing some DE in the CFL) because they know CFL teams just will not counter with a steady dose of run game at smaller front 7 defenders, but if you have some small, fast guys up close to the line, make sure they are getting at the passer; and i don't get big D-linemen dropping into coverage - fine for an athletic, quick DE (like a Foley, or maybe Maybin), but what do you expect a Cleon Laing to do back 15 yards in coverage? - let the D-line play like they are suited/trained for, and less games or odd schemes might work better?

Anyhow - Jones and the Argos D came thru in the crunch last year; not near the talent or experience there this year, but maybe they put together 2 smart & tough games at the right time; DBs need to do a good job too - no receivers running clear & free, plus some knockdowns and INTs. It's all about stopping the pass in the East especially - the Pussycats or the Als just will not commit to a run game consistently; might be a different story if the get to the GC and have to face the Stumps or Riders - who will at times run the ball lots - but the Argos shut down Cornish last year in IMO one of the keys to help win the GC.

Argo
11-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Damn..was he a good player!!!

Yes, he truly was.
IMHO he was released a year too soon (at least? ... we'll never know).

ArgoRavi
11-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Yes, he truly was.
IMHO he was released a year too soon (at least? ... we'll never know).

England was released at the end of the '06 season and he was still playing well but I think that there was concern even at that point that the Argo defence was getting a little long in the tooth. It was telling that no other team picked up England. That defence, with a little tweaking after the '06 season, was as good as ever in '07 before falling apart completely the following year as age seemed to catch up to a lot of players in '08.

Argo
11-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Jones seems to like to play games...

This post-season, I'm not as concerned about defending the run as about getting torched by top-notch receivers whose QB has too much time to deliver the football.

Argo
11-06-2013, 12:03 AM
England was released at the end of the '06 season and he was still playing well but I think that there was concern even at that point that the Argo defence was getting a little long in the tooth. It was telling that no other team picked up England. That defence, with a little tweaking after the '06 season, was as good as ever in '07 before falling apart completely the following year as age seemed to catch up to a lot of players in '08.

Yes, that's how I remember it too, but the most salient point in my mind is that EE was indeed still playing well. That is, if I had been the HC / GM, I would not have cut EE at that time.
I also recall being surprised that he was not added by another team.

Wobbler
11-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Maybin is mentioned in "Collision Low Crossers", a new book by Nicholas Dawidoff. ND was deeply "embedded" in the Jets' camp in 2011, and his observations may help to explain why Maybin didn't thrive with the Jets.

The NPR item describing the book (http://www.npr.org/2013/11/23/246920836/an-inside-look-that-strips-the-face-paint-off-the-nfl) offers a few details.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8