PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rest next week?

Wobbler
10-26-2013, 03:36 PM
We already know that Ray won't be playing. One could make a case for him getting a few series to avoid rust, since we have the bye week as well, but after his recent injury I think this was the right call.

But who else should we sit?

Kackert is the easiest decision, I'd say. He has been hurt recently, we have good backups, and we need him for the playoffs.

Ordinarily I would suggest resting Owens too, but he has 979 receiving yards. I'd let him get to 1000 before shutting him down. Ditto for Durie, who is even closer to his first 1000 yard season (986 yards); we've *got* to let him hit that milestone.

On defense, most of the guys probably need to play but I would rest McCune and give Pottinger the start. Gabriel should be our starting safety, but Black probably needs to dress.

Thoughts?

paulwoods13
10-26-2013, 04:07 PM
I'd sit all four guys on offence. There's too much at stake to risk an injury for the sake of 21 and 14 yards, respectively. On defence, McCune and Mitchell.

Wobbler
10-26-2013, 04:16 PM
I assume that both Owens and Durie have 1000 yard bonuses in their contracts. I don't know the players' personalities, but it wouldn't be worth annoying either one for the sake of sparing them a few hits unless they agreed. (And obviously Owens wouldn't be returning any kicks)

ArgoRavi
10-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I would play both Owens and Durie until they got their 1000 receiving yards. I would sit both Kackert and Ray and probably McCune and Ball as well. If Watkins is still banged up, sit him too. Montreal will likely be sitting a number of their players now as they are stuck in third place.

QBall
10-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Ray, Kackert, Ownes, Inman, Ball and Watkins sit out. Play Collaros for the first half and let Harris play the second half.

paulwoods13
10-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I want to see Collaros for one quarter, Harris for two and Gale in the fourth. Great chance to get the fourth-stringer some PT, just like last year's season ender.

Wobbler
10-27-2013, 01:07 AM
I want to see Collaros for one quarter, Harris for two and Gale in the fourth. Great chance to get the fourth-stringer some PT, just like last year's season ender.
Agreed. I expected this to be a meaningful game for Montreal, but instead we have an opportunity to evaluate QBs. Let's do it.

Nob
10-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Put Collaros in for the 4th quarter - that's where he has been the best.......jk. Jk.

Might be a good time to see what the practice squad players can do, and whether or not they should be invited back next year.

Argo57
10-27-2013, 02:42 AM
Owens, Durie, Ray, Kackert, McCune, Ball, Watkins and Inman all rest, see what the young guys can do.
This game will be the battle of the backups.

ArgoZ
10-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Put Collaros in for the 4th quarter - that's where he has been the best.......jk. Jk.

Might be a good time to see what the practice squad players can do, and whether or not they should be invited back next year.

:D Gotta save the 4th for Zack, the team would get a kick out of that. This game means absolutely nothing to the teams. As far as bonuses go, you have to let your guys get the extra cash. Any player is not going to be happy that they got stiffed a few yards short, even if it's for the better of the team. If the team is that concerned, then you give the bonus and sit him.

paulwoods13
10-27-2013, 12:31 PM
If there are yardage bonuses (an assumption on our part -- if I managed the team I would prefer to give out team-performance bonuses), then declare them achieved and sit the guy. Can you imagine how stupid everyone would feel if Durie were dressed for the sake of 14 yards, and then blew out a knee? It is just not worth it. For the same reason I was not in favour of Owens playing the season finale last year -- at least they took him out once he broke the record and forgot about the "quest" for 4,000 yards.

As for the defence, apart from McCune and Mitchell who are pretty entrenched in their roles, I would not sit anyone. The secondary especially needs to start coming together as a unit -- dress the five guys you project to start in the EF and get them familiar with what they are supposed to be doing on every play. A few of them (especially Morley) have looked confused of late. For that reason I would also dress the LBs who often drop into coverage (Ball and Colclough).

cflsteve
10-27-2013, 01:21 PM
I would play both Owens and Durie until they got their 1000 receiving yards. I would sit both Kackert and Ray and probably McCune and Ball as well. If Watkins is still banged up, sit him too. Montreal will likely be sitting a number of their players now as they are stuck in third place.

I think we may see the Montreal starters for a half. Smith getting more live game action with his receivers as well as Sutton continuing his groove in finding holes opened up by the starting Oline. Bowling as well will need to get some more game reps with the offense as a receiver but not as a returner.

For the Argos you would have to think about resting Mitchel as well on defense. He probably will not get rotated in the playoffs. Laing has also logged a lot of snaps all season and is important being a Canadian in the Dline rotation.
Already having a bye week playing both Durie and Owens for a half would not be unreasonable. These guys are pros and getting to 1,000 yards is part of being a pro with an incentive in the contract. Now if they had to play next the next week in the semis then the decision could be different

paulwoods13
10-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Already having a bye week playing both Durie and Owens for a half would not be unreasonable. These guys are pros and getting to 1,000 yards is part of being a pro with an incentive in the contract. Now if they had to play next the next week in the semis then the decision could be different

Week off or not, there is just as much chance of being injured on a fluke play. I see no reason whatsoever to play Owens and Durie. We already know we're not playing Ray and Kackert; why risk something happening to the other two key guys on the offence? What reason is there to play them? There isn't one, other than possible (speculative) bonuses and there's no reason you can't just declare the bonuses achieved and be done with it.

cflsteve
10-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Week off or not, there is just as much chance of being injured on a fluke play. I see no reason whatsoever to play Owens and Durie. We already know we're not playing Ray and Kackert; why risk something happening to the other two key guys on the offence? What reason is there to play them? There isn't one, other than possible (speculative) bonuses and there's no reason you can't just declare the bonuses achieved and be done with it.

I certainly cant argue with you on that. Ray, Durie, and Owens have been together for 2 seasons now and even with injuries and missed games during that time taking two weeks off to rest their bodies will not affect their play in anyway.
They will still be practicing and running routes in practice and have enough game time together and mentally they are there.

Wobbler
10-28-2013, 01:08 AM
There are solid reasons why Owens and/or Durie should play, as mentioned previously. "Bonus declaration" could/should work with Owens (given the loose contract regulation in the CFL) but... for Durie? How would you convince him that milestones don't really matter, Paul?

bluto
10-28-2013, 01:19 AM
the team could sit them and just give them their bonuses... how big could they be?

ArgoRavi
10-28-2013, 01:21 AM
the team could sit them and just give them their bonuses... how big could they be?

The one thing I would say about that is that both Owens and Durie probably have a lot of pride as most pro athletes do. In Durie's case, he has never hit 1000 yards receiving so such a milestone would be quite meaningful to him, I would think. A better case could be made for sitting Owens but I am of the mind to dress Durie for sure, let him get his 1000 yards and then sit him for the rest of the game.

paulwoods13
10-28-2013, 08:41 AM
There are solid reasons why Owens and/or Durie should play, as mentioned previously. "Bonus declaration" could/should work with Owens (given the loose contract regulation in the CFL) but... for Durie? How would you convince him that milestones don't really matter, Paul?

I'd tell him the only thing that really matters is the team, and sitting is what's best for the team. I believe he could and would accept that. He'll have more chances to hit 1,000 yards before his career is over. Plus he's already over it in combined yards from scrimmage. Plus 1,000 isn't what it used to be -- in an 18-game season, you have to average just 56 yards a game to hit that figure. It's a somewhat artificial milestone.

Ron
10-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Rest Ray but play everyone else. Ray has proven to not get rusty and that cannot be said for any of the others.

Stevoman
10-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Rest Ray but play everyone else. Ray has proven to not get rusty and that cannot be said for any of the others.

I agree with this.

1argoholic
10-31-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm going to rest and enjoy an Argo win.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8