PDA

View Full Version : Argos to announce signing of Jason Barnes soon

R.J
02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
as per Dave Naylor's twitter feed.
TSNDaveNaylor David William Naylor
Multiple sources say Toronto Argonauts are about to land receiver Jason Barnes. Had 50 catches and 7 TD's last season in Edmonton.

Naylor story on tsn.ca
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=387814

1argoholic
02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
If this is true we'll go into the season with Barnes and Mann both who have played with Ricky. Barnes is a tough guy and he and Mann are buddies. Remember the story of Barnes getting badly injured in Hamilton while paying with the Esks. Mann showed up at the hospital daily to help and push his friend. This could be very good.

Argonauter
02-14-2012, 03:46 PM
I just heard it. It should be announced soon.

marcwagz
02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
thats good, I guess he's our replacement for copeland and Ray is used to passing to him

Skinny G
02-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Great signing. With this and if they also sign Mann, gives Ray two receivers he is used to. With those two, and Durie and Boyd... I wonder who the other 2 receivers should be. If it were me, I'd let Owens focus on returns and be a 6th receiver. I would like to see Boldin, Ballard, or Tranks out there... along with a Canadian... F-G, Watt, Bradwell...

Argonauter
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-snag-wr-jason-barnes

argotom
02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Another good hiring, now all we need is Fantuz on the other side and that would be an awesome triangle.

Will
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Barnes has improved each year that he has been in the CFL. I certainly hope that this is the year where he can break 1,000 yards receiving.

gilthethrill
02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
I hope he does not end up being another Jimmy Oliver.

Another good hiring, now all we need is Fantuz on the other side and that would be an awesome triangle.

I hope Fantuz does not end up in Hamilton. As for Edmonton, I don't see Fantuz being enamored about Jyles being the starter there.

argofandave
02-14-2012, 08:08 PM
If this is true we'll go into the season with Barnes and Mann both who have played with Ricky. Barnes is a tough guy and he and Mann are buddies. Remember the story of Barnes getting badly injured in Hamilton while paying with the Esks. Mann showed up at the hospital daily to help and push his friend. This could be very good.

I think that was Jason Tucker that was injured in Hamilton not Jason Barnes.

ArgoGabe22
02-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Barnes did get injured inn Hamilton as well as Tucker. Tucker had the neck injury and I believe Barnes had his spleen removed. Strange how two Eskimo recievers got injured at Never Wynn. Dirty team I say! lol

OV Argo
02-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Barnes has improved each year that he has been in the CFL. I certainly hope that this is the year where he can break 1,000 yards receiving.

Yeah - Barnes really impressed / made strides last season; before that i was not overly impressed though; still - the Argos need receiver help and this is maybe a real nice addition; maybe not a sure-fire #1 or 2 type CFL receiver though, but he could pan out that way; and I hope the Argos are not pencilling-in Barnes and Mann as top 2 or 3 receivers just because they've played with Ray before; real, tough competition in TC is a must and not CFL pencilled-in thinking.

Wobbler
02-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I think this is a pretty big deal. No one player will "fix" our receiving corps, but this is a good start. Barnes caught a lot of balls despite being the #2 slotback. I was amused to see Eskimos fans posting that import receivers are easy to replace; I think having Ray at QB flattered their receiving corps, and I look forward to seeing this effect reproduced in Toronto.

ArgoRavi
02-14-2012, 10:53 PM

With Barnes' addition, it is less likely IMO that the Argos will throw 200k at Fantuz.

RoRoYoBoat
02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
And that's a good thing. You got to balance your resources.

KCargosfan
02-14-2012, 11:18 PM
and I hope the Argos are not pencilling-in Barnes and Mann as top 2 or 3 receivers just because they've played with Ray before; real, tough competition in TC is a must and not CFL pencilled-in thinking.

Somehow I'm guessing you'll be disappointed.

Area 51
02-14-2012, 11:35 PM
With Barnes' addition, it is less likely IMO that the Argos will throw 200k at Fantuz.

Good point. As much as I'd like to see Fantuz come to Toronto I don't think it's likely to happen now with Barnes being signed. This gives Toronto two good receivers to build around - - Barnes and Durie. Still need to find someone to be the go-to guy though. Maybe Mann steps up? Maybe one of the unproven guys like Bolden or Ballard?

bluto
02-15-2012, 03:18 PM
from this video on the OS i can make the following prediction: if we can arrange to play against Saskatchewan 18 times, Jason Barnes will get OVER 9000 yards receiving!

http://argonauts.ca/video/index/id/63119

argotom
02-15-2012, 05:45 PM

In a normal year maybe, but this being the GC year and which has already assured Mr. Braley of mega profits, I think the Argos may therefore ignore the cap by trying to buy the cup.

ArgoRavi
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Some Tillman spin for yeah.

Tillman recruited Koch but did not recruit Barnes. He always thinks that his recruits are better than anyone else's.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8