PDA

View Full Version : Eiben, Argos about to cut ties.

R.J
02-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Looks like this could be the end. http://www.lfpress.com/sports/football/2012/02/14/19379221.html#.TzrRt-yo7S0.twitter

Obviously just speculation at this point.
CFL_News CFL News fan
Look for keen #BCLions interest in Kevin Eiben. #CFL

ArgoGabe22
02-14-2012, 05:23 PM
The article doesn't really say much. Pretty much any not resigned by now may not be back.

ArgoFan1
02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
N-n-n-n-n-n-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o !!!!!

gilthethrill
02-14-2012, 06:10 PM
N-n-n-n-n-n-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o !!!!!

I agree...Eiben is not exactly a speedy lb, but he plays smart. Great tackler, makes plays, still young & keeps in great shape.

Will
02-14-2012, 07:16 PM
The article doesn't really say much. Pretty much any not resigned by now may not be back.

True, but the article does point out that the Argos and Eiben aren't really close to any sort of agreement.

1argoholic
02-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Sad thing about our league is that when you have solid players who played great for years you end up not being able to afford them. So you go and get some younger cheaper guy. SUCKS!!! To think of a guy being done at 32 makes me laugh.

gilthethrill
02-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Sad thing about our league is that when you have solid players who played great for years you end up not being able to afford them. So you go and get some younger cheaper guy. SUCKS!!! To think of a guy being done at 32 makes me laugh.

I don't think anyone is saying Eiben is done. I am thinking the Argos feel he does not fit the speedy agressive defence the team is going to employ this season.

OV Argo
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Eiben is done. I am thinking the Argos feel he does not fit the speedy agressive defence the team is going to employ this season.

There's all sorts of "speedy, agressive" players out there - and what a dopey, cliched football platitude; solid, smart play-making football players are another matter; i highly doubt the Argo defence is going to be any better this year minus Eiben and Shell - let's see them replaced by guys who are amognst league leaders in tackles and some other defensive categories. Maybe both of those guys commanded too big buck$ contracts to fit in the SMS for the team however; I wonder if there has been a serious offer to re-do Eiben's contract to keep him an Argo - my guess it would have been quite do-able with a small pay-cut, but maybe not. Funny that the BC D - the best in the league last year - found they had room to take Shell on their roster; but hey - maybe they're aiming for a slower, not so agressive D.

$M$ concerns and moves are one matter; lack of respect for solid veteran football players who have given their all for your team is another matter; but again - let's see the replacements do much better; Eiben is an all-time great Argo D player IMO - and yes Argoholic - agreed - it SUck$ to think this move is based on getting younger & cheaper for the sake of it; be a different story if Eiben was some broken-down old guy who was clearly not able to play much good ball anymore.

AngeloV
02-14-2012, 09:16 PM

Look around. It's happening in every league now.

ArgoRavi
02-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Look around. It's happening in every league now.

Exactly. It is the nature of the business. By football standards, 32 is old. Does anyone recall the old Eskimo dynasty? As good as they were, by the '83 season, too many of those players were on the wrong side of 30 and it started to show on the field. Eiben has been a great contributor to the Argos for the last 11 seasons and he will be an all-time Argo but, unfortunately, the time comes in every player's career where they have to retire or move on and this could be one of those times for Eiben. The Argos have to consider how players will fit their defence and they have to keep the SMS in mind while also building for beyond this season. It can be difficult to fit a 32 year-old linebacker into all of that.

ArgoRavi
02-14-2012, 10:47 PM
i highly doubt the Argo defence is going to be any better this year minus Eiben and Shell - let's see them replaced by guys who are amognst league leaders in tackles and some other defensive categories.

If we don't have league leaders in tackles this season, that might mean that the defence isn't on the field as much which would be fine with me.

gilthethrill
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
If we don't have league leaders in tackles this season, that might mean that the defence isn't on the field as much which would be fine with me.

It is not a good sign when your two top tacklers (Shell & Pile) are in the defensive backfield. I want the 2012 defense to be in a position to make the tackle prior to the first down marker, not after.

Area 51
02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
It is not a good sign when your two top tacklers (Shell & Pile) are in the defensive backfield. I want the 2012 defense to be in a position to make the tackle prior to the first down marker, not after.

Exactly. This is a good indication of how the Argo LBs struggled last year - - that's where the leading tackles need to come from. I'd rather see the secondary making INTs.

Can't really be surprised if the Argos decide not to bring Eiben back. The writing was on the wall when he was benched early last season.

gilthethrill
02-15-2012, 09:10 AM
There's all sorts of "speedy, agressive" players out there - and what a dopey, cliched football platitude; solid, smart play-making football players are another matter; i highly doubt the Argo defence is going to be any better this year minus Eiben and Shell - let's see them replaced by guys who are amognst league leaders in tackles and some other defensive categories. Maybe both of those guys commanded too big buck$ contracts to fit in the SMS for the team however; I wonder if there has been a serious offer to re-do Eiben's contract to keep him an Argo - my guess it would have been quite do-able with a small pay-cut, but maybe not. Funny that the BC D - the best in the league last year - found they had room to take Shell on their roster; but hey - maybe they're aiming for a slower, not so agressive D.

$M$ concerns and moves are one matter; lack of respect for solid veteran football players who have given their all for your team is another matter; but again - let's see the replacements do much better; Eiben is an all-time great Argo D player IMO - and yes Argoholic - agreed - it SUck$ to think this move is based on getting younger & cheaper for the sake of it; be a different story if Eiben was some broken-down old guy who was clearly not able to play much good ball anymore.

Gee OV, it was just my opinion..no need to resort to calling me dopey :)

Area 51
02-15-2012, 09:36 AM
i highly doubt the Argo defence is going to be any better this year minus Eiben and Shell.

I "highly doubt" the Argo defence will be as pathetic as it was in 2011 minus Eiben, Shell, Parker, Pile, etc. In fact, I'm certain they won't be. Last in the league in 18 of 25 defensive categories? Wow, it's embarassing just to type that.

You're saying the Argo defence isn't going to be any better than last year, I'm saying they most definitely will be. You think the defence will finish last in 19 or more of the 25 defensive categories? No way.

How about a friendly wager between you and I - - loser leaves the forum. Are you confident in your take, or was it just blustering on your part?

argonaut11xx
02-15-2012, 09:50 AM
like it or not...he is a 32 year old guy...has injury issue's...is on the down side of career...was never fast....

but because he is a fan favorite, poeple will look at him with rose coloured glasses...

i like the idea of freeing up some cash, and getting younger on defence (our defence sucked last year)...

eiben was a pretty good Argonaut...but its the right time to move forward for the sake of a BETTER team....

Mulder
02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
You're saying the Argo defence isn't going to be any better than last year, I'm saying they most definitely will be. You think the defence will finish last in 19 or more of the 25 defensive categories? No way.

How about a friendly wager between you and I - - loser leaves the forum. Are you confident in your take, or was it just blustering on your part?

I'll take this bet. My only addition to the bet is the Argo's have to be within +/- 20 seconds of last years average time of possession, which was 26:22. Our offence stunk, which was why our defence stunk.

Ron
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
One forgets that Eiben once was that nobody who came in and replaced a veteran that nobody cares about today. It's the circle of life.

Area 51
02-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I'll take this bet. My only addition to the bet is the Argo's have to be within +/- 20 seconds of last years average time of possession, which was 26:22. Our offence stunk, which was why our defence stunk.

What does time of possession have to do with anything? Remember when Younger came on here posting about how great the 2010 defence was and most everyone else parroted his opinion - - guess what the time of possession was in 2010. Any idea? Exactly 29 seconds more than it was in 2011. FYI, that would be 26:51 for 2010.

Do you really think 29 seconds makes a world of difference between a "great" defence and a pathetic embarassment? Really?

Blaming the defensive ineptitude on the offence is an easy excuse without much thought behind it. I could just as easily point to the defence as the reason for the offensive struggles. If the defence had forced more two-and-outs the offence could have gotten back on the field more often. If the defence hadn't surrendered so many points the offence could have focused more on the run and built up that all important "time of possession" stat. If the defence had forced more turnovers the offence would have had much better field position to socre.

Don't kid yourself - - the defence was every bit as terrible as the offence was in 2011. Coaches, schemes and players were lousy on both side of the ball.

bluto
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
i hope when free agency shakes loose, we'll still have room enough to bring Eibs home.

he has been an all-timer both on and off the field for us.

if this is so long, i can't do anything but wish the guy well.

Mulder
02-15-2012, 11:23 AM
What does time of possession have to do with anything? Remember when Younger came on here posting about how great the 2010 defence was and most everyone else parroted his opinion - - guess what the time of possession was in 2010. Any idea? Exactly 29 seconds more than it was in 2011. FYI, that would be 26:51 for 2010.

Do you really think 29 seconds makes a world of difference between a "great" defence and a pathetic embarassment? Really?

Blaming the defensive ineptitude on the offence is an easy excuse without much thought behind it. I could just as easily point to the defence as the reason for the offensive struggles. If the defence had forced more two-and-outs the offence could have gotten back on the field more often. If the defence hadn't surrendered so many points the offence could have focused more on the run and built up that all important "time of possession" stat. If the defence had forced more turnovers the offence would have had much better field position to socre.

Don't kid yourself - - the defence was every bit as terrible as the offence was in 2011. Coaches, schemes and players were lousy on both side of the ball.

I'm sorry. Where are you getting 26:51 for 2010?

http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/2010_stats/League_Statistics.pdf#page=6

27:54.

Nice Try though

Area 51
02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
One forgets that Eiben once was that nobody who came in and replaced a veteran that nobody cares about today. It's the circle of life.

I can't figure out why that's such a difficult concept for people to grasp. It's the only way to improve - - replace the weak links with stronger ones.

Then again, I'm sure there's still some people delusional enough to think Mike Bishop could still be the starting QB and Mike O'Shea could still be the starting MLB.

I'm sorry. Where are you getting 26:51 for 2010?

http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/2010_stats/League_Statistics.pdf#page=6

27:54.

Nice Try though

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/pdf/en/stats/2010/League_Statistics111627.pdf

I'm sorry - - you were saying?

Mulder
02-15-2012, 11:32 AM

So 2 different resources are saying 2 different things. And your being an ass about it?

Congrats, Mr Negotron

1argoholic
02-15-2012, 11:40 AM
My problem is a lack of faith in Barker. If Wally Buono was leading our team I'd have faith that he'd find talent to replace anyone on our team.

Mulder
02-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Of course, you could simply look at the dates posted in the footer of the PDF's to find out which is newer.

Yours - Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Mine - Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Area 51
02-15-2012, 11:43 AM
So 2 different resources are saying 2 different things. And your being an ass about it?

Congrats, Mr Negotron

You're forgetting who it was that tried to highlight the signifigance that a few seconds in time of possession would make. Doesn't matter which stats you want to go by - - is there really a difference between 1:03 or :29?

Maybe if you're holding your breath, but not if you're playing football.

1argoholic
02-15-2012, 11:51 AM
If we keep Huntley and Wroton after last year then I will officially say that Barker has no clue. Hell If your going to finally start your major rebuild then go balls to the wall. Perhaps we could make it into the 2014 or 2015 Grey Cup.

Mulder
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
You're forgetting who it was that tried to highlight the signifigance that a few seconds in time of possession would make. Doesn't matter which stats you want to go by - - is there really a difference between 1:03 or :29?

Maybe if you're holding your breath, but not if you're playing football.

1:03? Where did you learn Math?

Last time I checked the difference between 27:54 and 26:22 is 1:32.

Area 51
02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
1:03? Where did you learn Math?

Last time I checked the difference between 27:54 and 26:22 is 1:32.

1:03 + :29 = 1:32

Maybe you should look for a Math forum instead of trying to post in a football forum quibbling over the difference between 29sec and 1min 32sec.

Mulder
02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
1:03 + :29 = 1:32

Maybe you should look for a Math forum instead of trying to post in a football forum quibbling over the difference between 29sec and 1min 32sec.

Actually your previous post you were arguring that the difference between the 2 numbers where 29 sec and 1:03. When infact, the differences are 29seconds and 1:32. Quit trying to justify your mistake.

Area 51
02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
If we keep Huntley and Wroton after last year then I will officially say that Barker has no clue.

I was kinda hoping Wroten would get busted again for possession during the off season and solve the problem. Definitely agree both him and Huntley need to be upgraded. I've been saying the same thing since last season.

Mulder
02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I was kinda hoping Wroten would get busted again for possession during the off season and solve the problem. Definitely agree both him and Huntley need to be upgraded. I've been saying the same thing since last season.

Better keep the negativity train rolling!

ArgoRavi
02-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I hope that both Huntley and Wroten are brought back for training camp but their jobs should certainly be on the line. I wouldn't hand either of them anything but I wouldn't count either out to have great seasons in 2012 either.

bluto
02-15-2012, 04:14 PM

walking a fine line with section 2 of the C.O.C. there. :shhhh:

I hope that both Huntley and Wroten are brought back for training camp but their jobs should certainly be on the line. I wouldn't hand either of them anything but I wouldn't count either out to have great seasons in 2012 either.

that'd be the way to go. i'm sure there'll be new blood in Erindale to push them.

KCargosfan
02-15-2012, 05:49 PM
If we keep Huntley and Wroton after last year then I will officially say that Barker has no clue. Hell If your going to finally start your major rebuild then go balls to the wall. Perhaps we could make it into the 2014 or 2015 Grey Cup.

Is trading for Ricky Ray part of having "no clue"?

OV Argo
02-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I didn't mean that you came-up with or invented the "fast & agressive" cliche Gill; sorry if you took it that i was calling you dopey - (which i wasn't; and i like your posts and football knowledge)

gilthethrill
02-15-2012, 06:26 PM
I didn't mean that you came-up with or invented the "fast & agressive" cliche Gill; sorry if you took it that i was calling you dopey - (which i wasn't; and i like your posts and football knowledge)

No worries OV!! Thanks! :)

1argoholic
02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I think getting Ricky Ray could turn out to be a huge mistake especially When Bell was looking so good last year. haha. Gotta have some fun.
Ray was a good deal except now we may be seeing issues with not doing anything to upgrade last off season. Now we have to lose a bunch of solid guys and start from scratch in almost every area.

Midnight Blue
02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
I really hate the SMS (Salary Management System), also know as Salary Caps.

I suppose it's probably not as bad in the CFL as in other leagues,

but, just as you're about to build a great team, you are stymied, by financial considerations.

Fuckin' Sucks.

In my opinion.

It has fucked hockey (which I no longer watch),

and it has kept the level of Football in the CFL,

to a degree, that is way, WAY, less competitive,

than it should be.

IMO.

It is like a Whore, who only gives you enough, to keep you

coming back.

This is why I'll watch on TV at home, with ICE COLD BEERS,

at less than one dollar a beer.

Much as I love the Argos.

Ka 'Pla !

Anyway, thank you all, for allowing me the opportunity for a rant. I feel better now.

We love CFL Football, and while I realize that caps are necessary to allow the League

to survive, I still think, they suck.

Perhaps the caps can be adjusted, based on brilliance and profound play. Or something.

I just want real Football.

Long Live Canadian Football !

R.J
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
That was most unexpected Midnight, you're always the most laid back person here. Personally I'm actually a fan of the SMS/Salary cap, only problem is stupid decisions made by GM's in all leagues.

Midnight Blue
02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
That was most unexpected Midnight, you're always the most laid back person here. Personally I'm actually a fan of the SMS/Salary cap, only problem is stupid decisions made by GM's in all leagues.

Thank you. Expect the unexpected. Though in reality, I'm probably just the most laid around here, not the most laid back. Cheers!

I understand the reasons for the SMS, but I don't have to like them.

Cheers !

KCargosfan
02-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you. Expect the unexpected. Though in reality, I'm probably just the most laid around here, not the most laid back. Cheers!

Care to share some tips for those of us struggling, haha.

Midnight Blue
02-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Care to share some tips for those of us struggling, haha.

Ok, fine.

Firstly, one must master the English Language.

Then, one must make something of it.

For example:

Slinky, savagely sophisticated

Elegantly, and absolutely smokin'

With a lingering sultriness

That doesn't leave you,

In the morning....

Mind you, I do not claim perpetual brilliance; I'm just a Hoser, who occasionally meets really Cool Chicks.

50% of my brilliance, is inspired by the Woman. I simply have the other 50%, which I put into words.

For example :

In the courtyard

Of the Queen, breathes a Fire

Still, serene.

She discovers, it is Hers

It is magic

It endures.

The way a Man thinks about Women,

Has an effect on how Women think about him.

Dreamy drizzle,

Drown her sigh

Splash of Bubbly

Down her thigh,

Diamond Pearlets

Drip her chest,

Wine is fine,

But 'pagne is best.

Midnight

1argoholic
02-15-2012, 09:58 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!!! I love it!!

Area 51
02-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Nice, Eiben! Forget about the Lions and get back to the Argos.

ArgoRavi
02-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Nice, Eiben! Forget about the Lions and get back to the Argos.

I wouldn't rule this out. At 32, Eiben may have to come to terms with a lower salary and less time on defence. It would appear that the Lions may be thinking similarly to the Argos about him. I have heard that the Ticats have an interest but will they offer Eiben anything more than what the Argos are offering in regards to salary and playing time? It may take a while for him to explore all of his options before he signs anywhere.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8