PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Post season:Where do we go from here??

Argo57
11-17-2013, 09:09 PM
This Argo post season raises many questions:
Will the ownership/stadium situation finally be answered?
Will there be management and or coaching staff changes?
Player personnel changes?

Al&Kat
11-17-2013, 11:01 PM
of course the RedBlacks expansion will mean personnel changes on all 8 current teams, for starters.
count on only Khalif Mitchell returning on the D-line as a starter in 2014.
My guess is that by the time Grey Cup 2014 arrives we will know nothing more about the stadium situation than we know today, 12 months of Nada coming there.
it is very likely IMO that once the two new head coaches are in place in Winnipeg and Edmonton that they will poach several assistants from other teams including the Argos.

ArgoRavi
11-18-2013, 12:41 AM
of course the RedBlacks expansion will mean personnel changes on all 8 current teams, for starters.
count on only Khalif Mitchell returning on the D-line as a starter in 2014.
My guess is that by the time Grey Cup 2014 arrives we will know nothing more about the stadium situation than we know today, 12 months of Nada coming there.
it is very likely IMO that once the two new head coaches are in place in Winnipeg and Edmonton that they will poach several assistants from other teams including the Argos.

Khalif will be a free agent and it is assumed that he will head to the NFL. However, that is the same assumption that was made a couple of years ago and, while he received a generous contract offer south of the border, he ended up re-signing with B.C. because that felt more like home to him. While I don't anticipate him being back in Toronto next year, with Khalif, you just never know.

The biggest question marks for the Argos in 2014 will be on defence. We will have to see if Chris Jones returns as defensive coordinator and then go from there. At this point, I just don't know if the problems this year were with the personnel, the schemes or both but there were clearly some problems that were never resolved and reared their ugly head in the East Final.

AaronInToronto
11-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I agree that #1 priority will be to plug some holes on Defence. Not going to count Mitchell in myself. Argos could give a guy like Horsley another shot, vbut he's gott aget his head in the game and off Twitter. The side distraction of his verbal blathering I believe was a bit of a factor in him not making the team. the worst part of this offseason is that you neve know where to start plugging holes, until you know what you've lost to Ottawa. Stay tuned Argio faithful - it's going to be a hell of an offseason.

1argoholic
11-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Could be just as much movement on D as there was last year. What does that do for us? This starting from scratch bs sucks.

paulwoods13
11-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Could be just as much movement on D as there was last year. What does that do for us? This starting from scratch bs sucks.

Could be? Or should be? Who do we have on our current D who is certifiably a keeper? The young non-imports: Laing, Gabriel and Tonye-Tonye (only one of whom is currently a starter), plus Watkins and Ball. Mitchell would be worth keeping but will probably leave (and he wasn't as much of a force this season as some other DTs in the league). Maybin, Thorpe and Thomas are worth another look. Black should be kept but I hope he loses his starting spot to Gabriel. Most of the others are good guys who might be able to excel in a different scheme, or if they learn the scheme better, but if most of them are replaced I don't see a lot of tears being shed. We had, I believe, two members of the 2012 Grey Cup defence playing yesterday (Watkins and Ball). Would have had three if McCune hadn't got hurt. I would not be at all surprised if we have only four or five of this year's D starting at this time next season.

ArgoGabe22
11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=paulwoods13;40829Mitchell would be worth keeping but will probably leave (and he wasn't as much of a force this season as some other DTs in the league).[/QUOTE]

Mitchell think this was his best year in football "Thanks 2 the <s>@</s>TorontoArgos (https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos) I found a way to put up My Best Season in Football thus Far. Only growing from here. God is Alive ppl." I hope he's back but you never know.

ArgoGabe22
11-18-2013, 04:11 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Argos&amp;src=hash">#Argos</a> free agents to watch this offseason include WR Dontrelle Inman, LB Marcus Ball and CB Patrick Watkins.</p>&mdash; Matthew Scianitti (@TSNScianitti) <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/statuses/402529604063088640">November 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

matchuk
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
.......and 3 guys we need to re-sign asap

ArgoRavi
11-18-2013, 05:16 PM
.......and 3 guys we need to re-sign asap

The easiest to re-sign should be Watkins as he is too old to go back to the NFL. Ball is much better suited to the Canadian game but that may not stop him from taking a look south of the border. Inman is the one we are most likely to lose to the NFL.

Argo57
11-18-2013, 07:59 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Argos&amp;src=hash">#Argos</a> free agents to watch this offseason include WR Dontrelle Inman, LB Marcus Ball and CB Patrick Watkins.</p>&mdash; Matthew Scianitti (@TSNScianitti) <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/statuses/402529604063088640">November 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Argonauts have to find a way to keep Ball, I suspect Watkins may not return, hopefully management and coaching staff have learned from this season and improve their recruiting efforts particularly when it comes to defensive linemen!

Cordo
11-18-2013, 08:07 PM
What about Kackert, I'm unsure of his contract situation but with his inability to stay healthy this year, do they look for another back? or just add depth there?

OV Argo
11-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Mitchell think this was his best year in football "Thanks 2 the <s>@</s>TorontoArgos (https://twitter.com/TorontoArgos) I found a way to put up My Best Season in Football thus Far. Only growing from here. God is Alive ppl." I hope he's back but you never know.

Nice for Khalif to think so, but sorry bud - not even close to your big season with BC, where he was a dominant DT.

Like to see Mitchell back, along with Ball, Watkins; Gabriel emerges as a top-notch safety perhaps, Cleon Laing continues to improve and he & Mitchell form a good duo at DT; after that ... huge improvements needed IMO - find a play-making OLB to go with Ball; maybe McCune is back, but maybe the Argos could trade for Henoc Muamba (him and a top draft pick for Zack Collaros - the Bombers are desperate for a young stud at QB), and 3 DBs needed to step-in and make plays - maybe all new guys there. And DE a big priority - like to see both Maybin (picks up the CFL game) and David Lee (still has good potential IMO) back, but audition a whole whack of new DEs to find some play-makers - and not just imports; either draft the best DE available or try to pry one of the under-used NI DEs from other CFL teams (some very good prospects there IMO - Capiciotti, Gascon-Nadon or D'Aguilar - IF Ottawa doesn't scoop one or two of them).

Rich
11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Consider also the fact the Argos are carrying the highest-salaried player in the league, and that perhaps the impact of that salary on the cap means we lose guys because we are unable to pay them what they're worth.

ArgoRavi
11-18-2013, 10:07 PM
What about Kackert, I'm unsure of his contract situation but with his inability to stay healthy this year, do they look for another back? or just add depth there?

He is under contract for a while longer yet. They should always be looking to upgrade at every position and there is no question that Kackert has to prove next year that he can stay healthy.

doubleblue
11-18-2013, 10:56 PM
#1 priority on defense is signing Ball and maybe Mitchell, who I thought tailed off a bit towards the end of the season. I'm ok with bringing Watkins back if his head is here. But maybe he retires. I think Gabriel is ready to start at safety with Black probably being exposed in the draft. Lawrence is ok at one corner and should get better. DE needs a stud pass rusher, and I'm not so sure its Maybin. Laing and Tonya will keep getting playing time, but the rest of the imports should have a lot of competition brought in as there is room for improvement. Maybe Greenwood finally shows up and claims the MLB position. The offense doesn't need a lot of changes just keep everyone healthy.

Argocister
11-19-2013, 11:11 PM
............ maybe the Argos could trade for Henoc Muamba (him and a top draft pick for Zack Collaros - the Bombers are desperate for a young stud at QB), ..............try to pry one of the under-used NI DEs from other CFL teams (some very good prospects there IMO - Capiciotti, Gascon-Nadon or D'Aguilar - IF Ottawa doesn't scoop one or two of them).

With Callaros being a FA in Feb., would a team trade for him? ...... Well maybe Winnipeg, but normally not ,...right?

Gascon-Nadon or D'Aguilar would be great gains , ..... Plesius too, ..... But being NIs, I don't see either Calgary or the Ticats making trades for them.

Wobbler
11-19-2013, 11:55 PM
I don't see any reason to make dramatic changes for 2014.

We won't re-sign all of our FAs (as always), a few guys will retire or be let go due to age (as always), and new recruits/draftees/acquisitions will win jobs (as always). We were a good but not great team in 2013; playing a bad half in the EF didn't change that. Tweaking our defensive philosophy will be important, and I'm sure that the D personnel will be aggressively scrutinized. But a massive turnover? I doubt it. Two or three significant upgrades, plus the aforementioned tweaks, would make a big difference to the unit's performance. There is a good chance that we'll be starting seven NI's on offense next year, making the defensive roster more flexible than usual.

Losing via collapse is terrible, but it has been a couple of days now. The team needs to improve, but we're starting from a pretty good place.

OV Argo
11-20-2013, 12:06 AM
With Callaros being a FA in Feb., would a team trade for him? ...... Well maybe Winnipeg, but normally not ,...right?

Gascon-Nadon or D'Aguilar would be great gains , ..... Plesius too, ..... But being NIs, I don't see either Calgary or the Ticats making trades for them.

Ottawa might draft one or two of Gascon-Nadon, D'Aguliar or Capiciotti - but maybe view them more as back-up depth guys (and depending on what other DEs they may draft (they already drafted DE Connor Williams last draft, they could get a vet like Willis), and considering a lot of CFL thinkers don't view NIs playing DE much); Argos - in big-need of DEs (and depending if they actually think much of any of those guys - doubtful maybe?) - could then offer say Eppele and one of Bryant or Barnes (tell Ottawa not to bother drafting any of them) - in a 2 for one deal - Ottawa gets 2 players they might be able to use: Ottawa gets a couple of guys with CFL starting experience and Argos get a very good young NI prospect in a big area of need in giving up some spare parts ?

Ottawa should be able to draft some possible very good NI talent IMO - the DEs mentioned, Plesius & Labbe or Pottinger at MLB, a DB like Matt Black, or receivers like DesLauriers, Rory Kohlrty, Anthony Parker, Bradwell or Charbonneau-Campeau = players who are viewed as spare parts now by the CFL teams that have them, but who might be very good CFL starters given the opportunity.

argolio
11-20-2013, 12:57 AM
With Callaros being a FA in Feb., would a team trade for him? ...... Well maybe Winnipeg, but normally not ,...right?If I were another team, I'd only make that trade on the condition I could sign him.

ArgoRavi
11-20-2013, 01:01 AM
The precedent for trading Collaros early would be the Mike Reilly situation from last off-season when the Lions dealt him to the Esks a few weeks before the free agent deadline. Does anyone remember what B.C. got in return though?

Wobbler
11-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Exactly, Ravi. If we trade Collaros there won't be a big return.

(BC swapped 2013 second round picks [going from 14th to 11th overall] and acquired Edmonton's 2014 second rounder)

Argocister
11-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Ottawa might draft one or two of Gascon-Nadon, D'Aguliar or Capiciotti - but maybe view them more as back-up depth guys (and depending on what other DEs they may draft (they already drafted DE Connor Williams last draft, they could get a vet like Willis), and considering a lot of CFL thinkers don't view NIs playing DE much); Argos - in big-need of DEs (and depending if they actually think much of any of those guys - doubtful maybe?) - could then offer say Eppele and one of Bryant or Barnes (tell Ottawa not to bother drafting any of them) - in a 2 for one deal - Ottawa gets 2 players they might be able to use: Ottawa gets a couple of guys with CFL starting experience and Argos get a very good young NI prospect in a big area of need in giving up some spare parts ?

Ottawa should be able to draft some possible very good NI talent IMO - the DEs mentioned, Plesius & Labbe or Pottinger at MLB, a DB like Matt Black, or receivers like DesLauriers, Rory Kohlrty, Anthony Parker, Bradwell or Charbonneau-Campeau = players who are viewed as spare parts now by the CFL teams that have them, but who might be very good CFL starters given the opportunity.

Mmmmm.... I like that idea of offering 2 for 1 to Ottawa and they could pick the guy we wanted from another team ..... Good GM thinking there OV. Which Dline player do you want that won't be protected? Are these guys in demand in our league?

paulwoods13
11-20-2013, 08:32 AM
There is a good chance that we'll be starting seven NI's on offense next year, making the defensive roster more flexible than usual.

I really doubt we'll go with five NIs on the o-line, which would be the only way to get to seven NIs on offence. I can see starting four, but even that is a stretch based on our current personnel. I doubt Sewell will be ready to start next season, especially after he missed almost the entire 2013 season for McMaster. We have four starting-calibre NI linemen without him, and we may lose one of them (Eppele) to Ottawa.

gilthethrill
11-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Exactly, Ravi. If we trade Collaros there won't be a big return.

(BC swapped 2013 second round picks [going from 14th to 11th overall] and acquired Edmonton's 2014 second rounder)

I can't recall where I heard this but speculation is Collaros to Winnipeg, the teams switch 1st round picks and the Argos get a defensive starter in return.

Argo57
11-20-2013, 07:24 PM
I can't recall where I heard this but speculation is Collaros to Winnipeg, the teams switch 1st round picks and the Argos get a defensive starter in return.

Where do I sign up for that one, considering he seems to be leaving anyway.

OV Argo
11-20-2013, 07:25 PM
I really doubt we'll go with five NIs on the o-line, which would be the only way to get to seven NIs on offence. I can see starting four, but even that is a stretch based on our current personnel. I doubt Sewell will be ready to start next season, especially after he missed almost the entire 2013 season for McMaster. We have four starting-calibre NI linemen without him, and we may lose one of them (Eppele) to Ottawa.

The "only way" ? - really - who told you that?

paulwoods13
11-21-2013, 07:33 AM
The "only way" ? - really - who told you that?

I told myself that, OV. Because we have better import receivers and running backs than non-import receivers and running backs. There's no way we play Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino over any of our import receivers, and there's no way we play Johnson or Woodson over any of our import RBs. Feel free to disagree but I doubt there is anyone else on this forum who would advocate starting those guys over our existing imports at the same positions, and I feel confident the "good ole boys" coaching the team will feel the same way.

Cordo
11-23-2013, 11:45 AM
There is also the possibility that the Argos don't trade Collaros at all because the guy is a free agent. What if he doesn't want to go to the Peg? If it comes down to Ottawa or Winnipeg, which franchise would you choose?

Wobbler
11-23-2013, 11:59 AM
"A good chance" reflects significant optimism on my part, I admit, and I had forgotten about Sewell's injury. But for the first time in years we'll at least be in a position to realistically *think* about five NIs on the OL (and trade/draft to firm up the prospect) if the extra flexibility would be useful on D.

paulwoods13
11-23-2013, 02:54 PM
There is also the possibility that the Argos don't trade Collaros at all because the guy is a free agent. What if he doesn't want to go to the Peg? If it comes down to Ottawa or Winnipeg, which franchise would you choose?

I'd probably choose Winnipeg, based on the fact that they have some decent personnel and a large, established fan base. I hope and expect Ottawa to be a successful franchise this time around, but that is far less certain than the fact that Winnipeg will draw 30,000 rabid fans game after game if they contend, and 25,000 if they don't.

paulwoods13
11-23-2013, 02:56 PM
"A good chance" reflects significant optimism on my part, I admit, and I had forgotten about Sewell's injury. But for the first time in years we'll at least be in a position to realistically *think* about five NIs on the OL (and trade/draft to firm up the prospect) if the extra flexibility would be useful on D.

If we don't lose a starter to Ottawa, we could think about it. But I still expect we will go with one import OT (likely King) next season. that still gives us greater roster flex than we had for most of this season when we started two imports on the o-line.

ArgoRavi
11-23-2013, 03:31 PM
I'd probably choose Winnipeg, based on the fact that they have some decent personnel and a large, established fan base. I hope and expect Ottawa to be a successful franchise this time around, but that is far less certain than the fact that Winnipeg will draw 30,000 rabid fans game after game if they contend, and 25,000 if they don't.

Furthermore, I would much rather see Collaros out of our division than in it.

OV Argo
11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
I told myself that, OV. Because we have better import receivers and running backs than non-import receivers and running backs. There's no way we play Bradwell or Feoli-Gudino over any of our import receivers, and there's no way we play Johnson or Woodson over any of our import RBs. Feel free to disagree but I doubt there is anyone else on this forum who would advocate starting those guys over our existing imports at the same positions, and I feel confident the "good ole boys" coaching the team will feel the same way.

Sure - and i basically agree; however - i disagree with your pre-determined thinking that discounts NI talent possibilities; for example - let's say Kackert continues to suffer from injury problems and can't be counted on, AND the Argos were able to add a NI RB like Walter (seen him play? = basically outstanding with the Stamps), or Messam = huge power back with a great CFL season under his belt - that could mean the Argos could possibly go with a very good NI starting tailback; OR - Feoli-Gudino (not any real playing time at receiver yet), or a top rookie draft pick, have an outstanding TC, and that makes the Argos think one of their import receivers is expendable (Chiles for example could fetch a very good starting D player where the Argos need help in trade return) ???

You may think these things are impossible and that's fine, but perhaps IMO reveals a typical CFL ("good ole boys" - you mentioned it) attitude. However - the Argos could quite possibly have something like 7 or 8 NIs on offence alone: maybe 5 on the O-Line if Holmes and Sewell or Van Zeyl pan out as 2 OTs + a NI RB (gasp !!!!), and maybe even 3 NIs in the starting receiver 5 pack (Durie, Watt and somebody else steps up), Impossible is fine for you i guess, but perhaps i am a bit more open-minded here, plus have a lot more faith in Canadian talent available in the CFL.

paulwoods13
11-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Again, we have four NI o-linemen capable of starting at the moment, IMO. Jones, Koch and Smith are backups who can fill a useful role, not starters. (Maybe that's good ole boy thinking but it is my opinion.) There is a very good possibility, IMO, that we will lose Eppele in the draft. Sewell, IMO, will not be ready to step straight into a starting role as a rookie after missing almost the entire 2013 season. So I don't believe we will be able to start five NIs on the o-line.

As for the other possibilities you mention, I would like to add Walter but I'm basing my prediction solely on who we have now, not who we might or might not be able to sign. IMO Feoli-Gudino could still become a decent spot receiver but I don't see him developing into someone good enough to replace any of our top five import receivers. So yes, given what we have now and how I project their development, I am very comfortable suggesting there is no way we will start seven NIs on offence next season. I may or may not be right but it's an opinion I am comfortable defending.

Argo
11-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Sure - and i basically agree; however - i disagree with your pre-determined thinking that discounts NI talent possibilities; for example - let's say Kackert continues to suffer from injury problems and can't be counted on, AND the Argos were able to add a NI RB like Walter (seen him play? = basically outstanding with the Stamps), or Messam = huge power back with a great CFL season under his belt - that could mean the Argos could possibly go with a very good NI starting tailback; OR - Feoli-Gudino (not any real playing time at receiver yet), or a top rookie draft pick, have an outstanding TC, and that makes the Argos think one of their import receivers is expendable (Chiles for example could fetch a very good starting D player where the Argos need help in trade return) ???

You may think these things are impossible and that's fine, but perhaps IMO reveals a typical CFL ("good ole boys" - you mentioned it) attitude. However - the Argos could quite possibly have something like 7 or 8 NIs on offence alone: maybe 5 on the O-Line if Holmes and Sewell or Van Zeyl pan out as 2 OTs + a NI RB (gasp !!!!), and maybe even 3 NIs in the starting receiver 5 pack (Durie, Watt and somebody else steps up), Impossible is fine for you i guess, but perhaps i am a bit more open-minded here, plus have a lot more faith in Canadian talent available in the CFL.

Chiles is the Argos best pure (shade in any semantics you like) receiver: he needs to remain an Argonaut.

ArgoRavi
11-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Chiles is the Argos best pure (shade in any semantics you like) receiver: he needs to remain an Argonaut.

I agree. Chiles has gotten some heat on here over the play that went awry in the fourth quarter last week but I would have started him over Bryant without hesitation - and I do like Romby Bryant - as he has had an excellent rookie season. It is hard to believe that there is a CIS receiver or a rookie Canadian out of the NCAA who would be ready to play at the level Chiles can at this point.

Argo57
11-23-2013, 11:17 PM

I didn't see anything from Feoli-Gudino this season to indicate he will have much if any impact for the Argonauts.

Cordo
11-24-2013, 01:45 PM

I'd argue for Ottawa. Winnipeg seems very unstable to me, fanbase & new stadium aside. The Blue Bombers in a completely brain dead move, are moving to the West division next year. The East is a lot more of an easier division to compete in than the West. Competing with Sask, Calgary & B.C for a shot at a playoff spot, to say nothing of Edmonton who could realistically improve is daunting. Especially considering the fact that the Blue Bombers were last in the East this year.

argolio
11-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I didn't see anything from Feoli-Gudino this season to indicate he will have much if any impact for the Argonauts.I'm not sure what he is yet. Injuries limited him in 2012 so 2013 was more or less his rookie year. This will be a big off-season and training camp for him to show whether or not he's more than just another guy.

OV Argo
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM

I really like Chiles for his big play-ability, but he is hardly the best "pure" receiver on the Argos and not even close to IMO; don't forget he was a college ball QB, and would still be learning receiver and the CFL game - he's gets by on speed, athleticism rather that receiver finesse; when he learns to run routes better and develops ultra sure hands and some circus catch ability to go with his athleticism, he might become a very good "pure receiver".

Argo
11-24-2013, 11:15 PM
I really like Chiles for his big play-ability, but he is hardly the best "pure" receiver on the Argos and not even close to IMO; don't forget he was a college ball QB, and would still be learning receiver and the CFL game - he's gets by on speed, athleticism rather that receiver finesse; when he learns to run routes better and develops ultra sure hands and some circus catch ability to go with his athleticism, he might become a very good "pure receiver".

I haven't heard any criticism of Chiles' route running ability (have I missed this?). He seems to catch 'most anything thrown into his general vicinity, receptions being only as circus-like as required. QB experience could be seen as a plus - after the fact of course.
But even though you object to my designation, you likely agree with my conclusion. Speed and athleticism - as you noted - a 6'2", 215 lb. frame, and a demonstrated ability to catch TD passes mean that Chiles needs to remain an Argonaut.

gilthethrill
11-25-2013, 02:59 PM
One player I would like to see added in the offseason is soon to be FA Chevon Walker of Hamilton. He has fallen out favour there, but I feel he could replace Owen as the primary kick returner & could help out on certain packages on offence. He has speed to burn.

doubleblue
11-25-2013, 05:33 PM
I agree. Chiles has gotten some heat on here over the play that went awry in the fourth quarter last week but I would have started him over Bryant without hesitation - and I do like Romby Bryant - as he has had an excellent rookie season. It is hard to believe that there is a CIS receiver or a rookie Canadian out of the NCAA who would be ready to play at the level Chiles can at this point. I would have still wanted Childs in the line up against Hamilton in the EF, but I would have like to have seen Bryant in for Barnes. I was surprised at that move because I thought Barnes seemed to have lost some confidence from the coaching staff, and the fact he didn't see the ball in the EF kind of shows that. Bryant IMO would have came up with a big play, much like Geroy Simon last night, and could well have made the difference in a win.

Argo
11-25-2013, 07:26 PM
I would have still wanted Childs in the line up against Hamilton in the EF, but I would have like to have seen Bryant in for Barnes. I was surprised at that move because I thought Barnes seemed to have lost some confidence from the coaching staff, and the fact he didn't see the ball in the EF kind of shows that. Bryant IMO would have came up with a big play, much like Geroy Simon last night, and could well have made the difference in a win.

That's just what I thought as well. A missed opportunity, IMO.

Cordo
11-25-2013, 07:55 PM
One player I would like to see added in the offseason is soon to be FA Chevon Walker of Hamilton. He has fallen out favour there, but I feel he could replace Owen as the primary kick returner & could help out on certain packages on offence. He has speed to burn.

Well I can't speak on the player but bringing in someone else to return kicks wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Chad didn't look anywhere near the threat that he was the previous season when trying to return kicks. When also taking his injury troubles into account this year, getting hit less every game & focusing on being a receiver would probably be better for him & the team.

paulwoods13
11-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Good idea.

ArgoGabe22
11-26-2013, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Dee Webb back in the fold, who was benched for the GC. Only problem I have is how many helmet to helmet hits will he bring with him?

Double Dare
11-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Chad didn't look anywhere near the threat that he was the previous season when trying to return kicks. When also taking his injury troubles into account this year, getting hit less every game & focusing on being a receiver would probably be better for him & the team.

Focussing more on football and not MMA would be a plus also! A lot of mental midgets are in WWF .... errrrr ... I mean MMA.

Will
11-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Well I can't speak on the player but bringing in someone else to return kicks wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Chad didn't look anywhere near the threat that he was the previous season when trying to return kicks. When also taking his injury troubles into account this year, getting hit less every game & focusing on being a receiver would probably be better for him & the team.

I felt that the block teams on punt returns and kick returns didn't help him at times either.

ArgosCowboy
11-26-2013, 11:50 AM

This would be a fantastic move! How quickly people forget how good he was last year. We need more explosiveness on returns as well as better blocking

Biggest concern this off season is still my biggest issue all season and thats the D Line You build a team from the line out and my guess is 85-90% of the line isnt back next year. Guess personnel depends on who is the D coordinator and the scheme that will be in place.

Argo
11-26-2013, 05:06 PM

I completely agree: Walker is intriguing and Owens should concentrate on his receiver role.
I haven't followed Chevon's career in any detailed way; it does seem that his career has, at best, stalled in Hamilton.
As they say, "you cannot teach speed" and this is a player that could really pay dividends in the right situation.

gilthethrill
11-26-2013, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Dee Webb back in the fold, who was benched for the GC. Only problem I have is how many helmet to helmet hits will he bring with him?

Gabe, is Webb not a safety? Would you start him over Jermaine Gabriel?

ArgoRavi
11-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I completely agree: Walker is intriguing and Owens should concentrate on his receiver role.
I haven't followed Chevon's career in any detailed way; it does seem that his career has, at best, stalled in Hamilton.
As they say, "you cannot teach speed" and this is a player that could really pay dividends in the right situation.

For Walker to be useful to the Argos as a tailback, he has to be able to block well. Can he? I love his speed as well but the primary job of the tailback in a Milanovich offence is to be an excellent blocker.

ArgoRavi
11-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Webb played corner in the East Final. I think he can play anywhere in the secondary. If he is a free agent, I suspect that Barker will take a run at Webb. I don't think that Barker wanted to trade Webb but felt that he had to to get a badly-needed receiver (at the time) in Maurice Mann.

ArgoGabe22
11-26-2013, 06:05 PM

As Ravi said, I would use him at corner. Huge upgrade over what we have. Hamilton played Courtney Stephen at S prior to GC and then put in King for the GC after CS was injured. I believe Breaux sat the Eastern Final and then took over from Webb for the GC.

Surprisingly our last two Safeties prior to this year have retired out of the blue. Pile signed a new contract and then retired which is why JY moved to S. Then of course JY retired prior to camp.

primetime21
11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
One position where the team really suffered this season was in the secondary, a team strong point since the 70's. I don't think the issue is with talent but rather with the lack of leadership. For thus reason, I would seriously explore bringing Byron Parker back as a safety. IMO, Parker has the skills to be a top safety and could achieve what Jordan Younger did.

AngeloV
11-26-2013, 07:53 PM
One position where the team really suffered this season was in the secondary, a team strong point since the 70's. I don't think the issue is with talent but rather with the lack of leadership. For thus reason, I would seriously explore bringing Byron Parker back as a safety. IMO, Parker has the skills to be a top safety and could achieve what Jordan Younger did.

Parker signed with the Als prior to this season, which would mean the Als have a club option on him. Unless he's a cap casualty in Montreal, he won't be available.

doubleblue
11-26-2013, 09:40 PM
One position where the team really suffered this season was in the secondary, a team strong point since the 70's. I don't think the issue is with talent but rather with the lack of leadership. For thus reason, I would seriously explore bringing Byron Parker back as a safety. IMO, Parker has the skills to be a top safety and could achieve what Jordan Younger did. I always thought Byron would make a great safety in his later career years, don't know why some Coach hasn't tried that. But going forward I think the safety job in Toronto will fall to Jermaine Gabriel.

Argo
11-26-2013, 11:25 PM
For Walker to be useful to the Argos as a tailback, he has to be able to block well. Can he? I love his speed as well but the primary job of the tailback in a Milanovich offence is to be an excellent blocker.

IIRC, the principal knock against Walker is that he is not a good blocker.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8