PDA

View Full Version : 2013: Grey Cup

T-Bone
11-18-2013, 07:56 AM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/ham.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/ssk.png

101st Grey Cup
Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 6:00pm EDT.
Mosaic Stadium. Regina, SK.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508) - RDS (http://www.rds.ca/football/lcf) - NBC Sports (http://cfl.ca/page/us-broadcast-schedule)
Video Webcast: Mobile TV (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Team Radio: HAM: CHML 900 (http://www.900chml.com/Sports/TicatsNation.aspx)/Y108 ROCKS (http://www.y108.ca/) - SSK: CKRM 620 (http://www.620ckrm.com/)
Audio Webcast: HAM: Here (http://player.900chml.com/) - SSK: Here (http://www.620ckrm.com/listenlive.php)
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM (http://www.siriusxm.ca/sports-schedules/cfl/)

Depth Charts: HAM: Here (http://www.ticats.ca/page/2013-depth-charts-game-notes-stats) - SSK: Here (http://www.riderville.com/depthchart/list/team/4)

Will
11-18-2013, 09:05 AM
No choice but to cheer for Hamilton.

1argoholic
11-18-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm with argofan87. This will be a first for me but as I've mentioned over and over, too few nice Rider fans these days. Obnoxious, Rude, Racist, hopped up on Pil Swill Rider fans piss me off.

Will
11-18-2013, 09:57 AM
This is the third consecutive year that the host team will play in the Grey Cup. Remember when there were always questions as to why it was so difficult for the host team to advance to the game?

1argoholic
11-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Honestly the Riders have to be a heavy fave playing in a total Green and White stadium. Hamilton will have to play the best game of the year. Only chance is to shut the crowd up and early. Hey they might be so burnt out and done by the time the game hits. Rider fans will all be partying all week. They don't do anything in moderation. It's difficult to party hard for the typical four days of Grey Cup. haha.

ArgoRavi
11-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Just think of how insufferable Dwight Anderson will be if the Riders win. If that isn't enough to get you to cheer for Hamilton, I don't know what is.

1argoholic
11-18-2013, 02:56 PM
The Rider Nation thing will be even worse next year.

294life
11-18-2013, 05:23 PM
I remember having folk from Hamilton sitting next to us actually cheering for the Argos in last year's GC game.I guess southern Ontario is finally embracing the concept western teams once did but not anymore.

Ticats have put together an 1800 dollar package for return plane trip from hammy plus ticket. I doubt there will be many takers.

gilthethrill
11-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Still not over the EF. I will watch the Grey Cup but it will be subdued at my house. I will never bring myself to cheer for Hamilton.

ArgoRavi
11-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Still not over the EF. I will watch the Grey Cup but it will be subdued at my house. I will never bring myself to cheer for Hamilton.

I am feeling rather unenthusiastic about this Grey Cup myself. I don't even feel like watching any of the old ones that are airing this week. I am sure that I will get somewhat excited by Sunday but I am still ticked off about the EF for a variety of reasons.

matchuk
11-20-2013, 09:34 PM
im still going to be glued to my tv starting at noon...im pissed we arent in it, and of course they way we didnt make it, but im still a cfl fan, and love the grey cup

ArgoGabe22
11-21-2013, 01:56 PM
im still going to be glued to my tv starting at noon...im pissed we arent in it, and of course they way we didnt make it, but im still a cfl fan, and love the grey cup

Can't miss those Brian Williams specials. I missed all of last years being at the game so hopefully they'll have a few good ones this year.

ArgoRavi
11-23-2013, 11:09 AM
I am starting to get over my funk over last Sunday's EF and am beginning to get increasingly excited about tomorrow's game. Of course, it would be better if the Argos were in it, but, in many ways, the league could not have asked for a better GC matchup.

matchuk
11-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Can't miss those Brian Williams specials. I missed all of last years being at the game so hopefully they'll have a few good ones this year.

yeah, i feel like i didnt see anything on tv last year because of the game...i was downtown friday, saturday, sunday, then for the game

Deerkeeper
11-23-2013, 01:10 PM
We all need to cheer up. Sure we are disappointed that the Argos are not there, but it is about the game and the league. Beside, Hamilton is not that bad, are they? We're all saying we need two strong teams in southern Ontario and what better way than to have the last two Grey Cup Champions in our back yards. Thanks to Rogers schedule, I made it to more games in Guelph this year (5) than Rogers Playpen (3) so I'm pulling for Hamilton. So why doesn't everybody take a deep breath, hold your nose and bellow out "OskeeWeeWee" at full volume. That will make you feel better.
:D

ArgoRavi
11-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I just wanted to give kudos to CBC as they have had excellent coverage of Grey Cup week this week despite the fact that they no longer cover the games.

LLB997
11-23-2013, 07:03 PM
As an Argos fan, cheering for the Ticats is not an option. Go Sask

Ron
11-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Ticats have put together an 1800 dollar package for return plane trip from hammy plus ticket. I doubt there will be many takers.

Ended up being $1400 and they sold out.

Ron
11-23-2013, 11:37 PM
So why doesn't everybody take a deep breath, hold your nose and bellow out "OskeeWeeWee" at full volume. That will make you feel better.

Good thing you mentioned the "hold you nose" part. Your IQ will fall out if you do not hold your nose yelling that.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 02:24 AM
I wonder if Ricky Foley will stand up on the Rider bench on Sunday and shout, "This is my town!" as he did a year ago.

Will
11-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Good thing you mentioned the "hold you nose" part. Your IQ will fall out if you do not hold your nose yelling that.

I may be hoping for a Tiger-Cat victory tonight, but uttering that cheer is where I draw the line!

1argoholic
11-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Go Cats Go! I have friends who are Cats fans. Just can't cheer for Sask although Hamilton will be in tough. If Hamilton starts strong they could shut the Big Green Incestfest up.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Hamilton reminds me of the '04 and '12 Argos. They are playing their best football at the right time of the season. The Riders played well in the fourth quarter against B.C. two weeks ago but were outplayed otherwise. They did play their best game in a couple of months last week in Calgary but I don't expect the Ticats to self-destruct like the Stamps did. I say that Hamilton wins 30-21 with Taylor Field falling silent once the final whistle blows.

Will
11-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I wonder how many Tiger-Cat fans cheered for the Argos last year? Although, this year is much more a product of Hamilton's opponnet.

OV Argo
11-24-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm hoping for a close game, but IMO the Riders are better or totally out-class the Ticats in every position group on the field (outside of maybe QB where vet Burris may be considered the better pure passing QB).

Kent Austin undefeated as a CFL HC in the play-offs though - he may work some more magic; and the connections between the 2 teams (eg. Austin, Cortez, Fantuz) that link to that 89 that all-time GC classic (87 game was still better though IMO) are quite interesting.

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not one to go all gaga over movie stars, but I loved that Martin Short, Tom Hanks interview.

ArgoGabe22
11-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Ti Cats win 33-17

LLB997
11-24-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm not one to go all gaga over movie stars, but I loved that Martin Short, Tom Hanks interview. agreed, could care less about Hollywood, but Short is a great supporter of God`s Game. Props to Marty.

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Both teams look a bit tight to start off.

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Can you feel this one starting to slip away from Hamilton already.

Argo57
11-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Can you feel this one starting to slip away from Hamilton already.

Yes for sure, Hamilton better wake up or this could get ugly, Burris looks shaky so far!!!

Argo57
11-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Where was this Henry last week???!!!!

QBall
11-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Hamilton is done. 2 and out after winning the challenge. Riders 101 champions.

bigzee19
11-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Man this is the real Hamilton team we should have played.......Kinda sucks that the cup game sucks this year though....

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 08:04 PM
The last thing I wanted to see was a blowout. And it's not even half time.

bigzee19
11-24-2013, 08:06 PM
The last thing I wanted to see was a blowout. And it's not even half time.

So True....

Stevoman
11-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Well no disrespect to the Ti-Cats as they did deserve the Eastern Final victory but I do think the Argos would've been putting up a better fight!

gilthethrill
11-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Where was this Henry last week???!!!!

At one point last week in the 1st half Burris was 6-11 for 93 yards but we let them off the hook.

gilthethrill
11-24-2013, 08:27 PM
This is making me feel a bit better after the EF.....loved Henry being a spectator on that errant snap!!!! Go chase after the ball, don't just stand there....

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 08:28 PM
I was all excited about the big CTV announcment thinking they had seen the light and were going to start broadcasting CFL games. Instead, we get another brainless reality show. Tonight is turning out real well.

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 08:30 PM
At one point last week in the 1st half Burris was 6-11 for 93 yards but we let them off the hook.Yes, but Sask is not about to let him off so easily.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Well no disrespect to the Ti-Cats as they did deserve the Eastern Final victory but I do think the Argos would've been putting up a better fight!

This would have been a classic with the Argos in it. At worst, Ray and Durant would have gone toe-to-toe.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 08:44 PM
This is making me feel a bit better after the EF.....loved Henry being a spectator on that errant snap!!!! Go chase after the ball, don't just stand there....

Honestly, this is making me feel worse. I keep asking myself how we lost to these guys. Furthermore, as a CFL fan, I wanted to see a classic game and not a blowout at the half. The Argos would have provided a classic game. From what I am seeing of the Ticats so far, I am convinced that this team was the third best in the east this year. The Als, with their defence alone, would be giving the Riders all that they could handle if they were in this game.

QBall
11-24-2013, 08:46 PM
I can't believe we lost to these guys!

OV Argo
11-24-2013, 09:07 PM
I can't believe we lost to these guys!

The Riders have a very tough and vet D - the Argos do not; the Riders have a clue about a ground game and diversity on offence - the Argos do not.

I feared a total blow-out in this one due to a total mismatch on paper; hope the Ticats can comeback and make a game out of it 2nd half. BUT -when you face an offence with a big strong O-line and a dangerous RB and an inclination to run plenty, and you counter with a few 200 pound type linebackers and no real stud run-stopper there = good luck; and when you are an all-pass offence with pretty well zero run game and you face a very experienced and talented D-line with top notch pass rushers and some talented DBs = good luck again.

Kent still have some magic left? The Argos losing to these guys looks very bad. Regardless - i believe this Rider team would have easily handled any East representative this year - outside of the Als winning with huge play making on D or special teams.

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Fifteen points is not insurmountable. It's not over yet.

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Now it's over. Sheets for MVP.

Argo57
11-24-2013, 09:49 PM
The Riders have a very tough and vet D - the Argos do not; the Riders have a clue about a ground game and diversity on offence - the Argos do not.

I feared a total blow-out in this one due to a total mismatch on paper; hope the Ticats can comeback and make a game out of it 2nd half. BUT -when you face an offence with a big strong O-line and a dangerous RB and an inclination to run plenty, and you counter with a few 200 pound type linebackers and no real stud run-stopper there = good luck; and when you are an all-pass offence with pretty well zero run game and you face a very experienced and talented D-line with top notch pass rushers and some talented DBs = good luck again.

Kent still have some magic left? The Argos losing to these guys looks very bad. Regardless - i believe this Rider team would have easily handled any East representative this year - outside of the Als winning with huge play making on D or special teams.

Well said OV!!!

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Well, no Grey Cup parade in Hamilton this week. I wonder if they will have a Ballard Cup parade instead.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Something else that Hamilton lacked was Canadian depth. Their Canadian depth has been lacking for the last few years and reared its head when starting safety Courtney Stephen was unable to play today. Neil King may be a good prospect but he isn't ready for primetime yet. However, with the Ticats only able to start seven Canadians, they had no options but to start King.

I don't agree that the Riders would have beaten the Argos or Als easily but Hamilton matched up with them less well than Toronto or Montreal would. Oddly and unfortunately, the Ticats matched up well with the Argos. Montreal outplayed Hamilton during most of their games this year but the Ticats seemed to find a way to win those games.

1argoholic
11-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Everything was geared for Regina and their Grey Cup love in. Very few fans from other teams like normal Grey Cups. Mark Cohon is Green and White with his nose all Brown. Sickening display from TSN covering everything about Sask with very limited stories about Hamilton. At one point Randorf said "oh there's some fans from Ottawa, I mean Ontario" when they showed Hamilton fans. WTF! This will do no good for the overall good of our league. Sask has been pumped up way too much by the league and they just won their forth friggin cup. I bet the pre game last year didn't pump Toronto and Ontario. Rider fans will be a real pain in the arse next year.

Worst possible finish to a season and one of the worst Grey Cups I've witnessed in my 51 years.

OV Argo
11-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Something else that Hamilton lacked was Canadian depth. Their Canadian depth has been lacking for the last few years and reared its head when starting safety Courtney Stephen was unable to play today. Neil King may be a good prospect but he isn't ready for primetime yet. However, with the Ticats only able to start seven Canadians, they had no options but to start King.

I don't agree that the Riders would have beaten the Argos or Als easily but Hamilton matched up with them less well than Toronto or Montreal would. Oddly and unfortunately, the Ticats matched up well with the Argos. Montreal outplayed Hamilton during most of their games this year but the Ticats seemed to find a way to win those games.

Neil King is the least of the Ticat problems - he made a number of tackles today and was not at fault in pass-coverage or run-support - a very good future CFL safety (he & Stephen both) and King had some starting experience this season going in; OTOH - the Ticats DID have some other options with NIs - like playing a big run-stuffing MLB when facing a very good run game rather than playing the lightweight import LBs Kenty favored (Plesius - CIS star LB and a huge LB; or C-O Prime - another huge MLB and tackling machine in US college ball) - however Kenty would have no faith in these guys due to their birth certificates; Kent-boy could have also went to a vet 2x CFL 1000 yd, receiver like Stala over his boys (his college boy alma matter fave Tasker - glaring CFL inexperience for a big game, or hands of stone Grant - dropped a couple at least today), but again, imports favored there.

Nice try with the cliched lack of "NI talent" or depth excuse card play Ravi - but that IMO is totally laughable and the Ticats have better overall NI talent than the Argos IMO.

The Ticats were totally over-matched in this game - in every single position group; the reason they were representing the East in this game was because the rest of the East this year was gawd-awful in various departments and Kent and his crew found a way in the East play-offs.

OTOH - the Riders are a veteran talented crew and built to go to this GC - with lots of key acquisitions : Foley, Anderson, Chick back from the NFL, Geroy Simon, and dominant D & O lines.

Tau Ceti
11-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Not exactly a classic game in terms of suspense but a thoroughly comprehensive victory. Congratulations to Saskatchewan, their franchise, and fans. At best, Regina is going to average a Grey Cup every ten years; the odds of this team winning in front of home fans rises to 50% about once in every 50 years so it's fair to call this is a historic result. And I really don't get the anti-Rider sentiment on this forum. It's petty and envious.

i believe this Rider team would have easily handled any East representative this year

Agreed. If anything I think the massive run game combined with competent air attack from Sask. shows how deficient our pass only offensive was last week.

LLB997
11-24-2013, 11:21 PM
haha,, 1999 suck it pussycats

Wobbler
11-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Nice try with the cliched [lack of NI depth] excuse card play Ravi - but that IMO is totally laughable and the Ticats have better overall NI talent than the Argos IMO.
I'm not familiar with Hamilton's NI backups. Would you mind elaborating on how they compare to ours? They must be dramatically superior if Ravi's comment was laughable!

argos1873
11-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Everything was geared for Regina and their Grey Cup love in. Very few fans from other teams like normal Grey Cups. Mark Cohon is Green and White with his nose all Brown. Sickening display from TSN covering everything about Sask with very limited stories about Hamilton. At one point Randorf said "oh there's some fans from Ottawa, I mean Ontario" when they showed Hamilton fans. WTF! This will do no good for the overall good of our league. Sask has been pumped up way too much by the league and they just won their forth friggin cup. I bet the pre game last year didn't pump Toronto and Ontario. Rider fans will be a real pain in the arse next year.

Worst possible finish to a season and one of the worst Grey Cups I've witnessed in my 51 years.

Are you talking conspiracy theories like some said about Toronto last year? The game is played on the field, not in the front offices, give your rhetoric a break. It is what it is.

ArgoRavi
11-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Neil King is the least of the Ticat problems - he made a number of tackles today and was not at fault in pass-coverage or run-support - a very good future CFL safety (he & Stephen both) and King had some starting experience this season going in; OTOH - the Ticats DID have some other options with NIs - like playing a big run-stuffing MLB when facing a very good run game rather than playing the lightweight import LBs Kenty favored (Plesius - CIS star LB and a huge LB; or C-O Prime - another huge MLB and tackling machine in US college ball) - however Kenty would have no faith in these guys due to their birth certificates; Kent-boy could have also went to a vet 2x CFL 1000 yd, receiver like Stala over his boys (his college boy alma matter fave Tasker - glaring CFL inexperience for a big game, or hands of stone Grant - dropped a couple at least today), but again, imports favored there.

Nice try with the cliched lack of "NI talent" or depth excuse card play Ravi - but that IMO is totally laughable and the Ticats have better overall NI talent than the Argos IMO.

Maybe you are right that the Ticats' braintrust doesn't know how to use Hamilton's non-import talent properly, OV, or maybe they just aren't up to snuff but the Ticats along with the Blue Bombers are two teams that have consistently had problems fielding more than seven non-import starters for some time now. Most (all?) other teams seem to be better able to do this, including the Argos, so I would say there is a problem somewhere with the Ticats in either their non-import talent or their utilization of such.

ArgoRavi
11-25-2013, 12:10 AM
I asked on Twitter when was it that the Roughriders went from "everyone's second favourite team" to the most hated team in the league. I think that the turning point may have been the '04 manure incident but different people gave me different answers including the '97 Grey Cup and the '07 Grey Cup. One individual said that this has happened since the explosion of the Internet with Roughriders fans being particularly ubiquitous.

Regardless, Roughriders fans have to be feeling on top of the world tonight and their team was full value for their win on Sunday night. Normally, signing other teams' free agents isn't the route to success in the CFL but Brendan Taman identified the gaps in his team after least season and went about filling them. The best off-season move that he made though was bringing in George Cortez as his offensive co-ordinator. I can't wait to see what next year will bring.

By the way, welcome to the Ottawa RedBlacks who are now full-fledged members of the Canadian Football League and finally able to sign players as of ten minutes ago.

VANRIDERFAN
11-25-2013, 12:41 AM
I asked on Twitter when was it that the Roughriders went from "everyone's second favourite team" to the most hated team in the league. I think that the turning point may have been the '04 manure incident but different people gave me different answers including the '97 Grey Cup and the '07 Grey Cup. One individual said that this has happened since the explosion of the Internet with Roughriders fans being particularly ubiquitous.

Regardless, Roughriders fans have to be feeling on top of the world tonight and their team was full value for their win on Sunday night. Normally, signing other teams' free agents isn't the route to success in the CFL but Brendan Taman identified the gaps in his team after least season and went about filling them. The best off-season move that he made though was bringing in George Cortez as his offensive co-ordinator. I can't wait to see what next year will bring.

By the way, welcome to the Ottawa RedBlacks who are now full-fledged members of the Canadian Football League and finally able to sign players as of ten minutes ago.

When we stopped being the lovable losers. Winning breeds envy, which leads to hatred. I used to hate the EE but now I just pity them.

Wobbler
11-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Winning breeds envy, which leads to hatred.
In this case I think it is fanbase envy, not team-success envy. Living in Vancouver (#3 most livable city in the world according to the 2013 EUI rankings) and being a committed Riders fan (with their associated CFL fan base) puts you in a nice category. Enjoy!

Ron
11-25-2013, 02:57 AM
Well ... it was far better to watch the Cats get killed than to watch the Argos get killed. And yes the Argos team we saw the last 6 games would have got destroyed by this Rider team on this day.

You get your butts kicked on GC day ... it's always remembered. You lost in a division final? Pretty much forgotten.

Ron
11-25-2013, 02:59 AM
Winning breeds envy, which leads to hatred. That is the path to the dark side.

Fixed ...........

Mulder
11-25-2013, 08:16 AM

I was very annoyed at pre-game and announcers, They made it sound as if winning a Grey Cup at home never happens ever in the CFL.

I would also agree the explosion of the Internet is the catalyst for lots of it. Rider fans voting for a 52-0 labour day match vs 3 other great labour day games last season? Yeah.
Every online pole should have a pre-poll to get the real results. What's your favorite team?
Oh yeah. And starting an Esks Suck chat at Spirit of Edmonton? That's totally not in the spirit of the CFL

IMO, Fans of the other 8 CFL teams have the ability to be more impartial and I would argue that Rider Fans are only really passionate about the Roughriders.

When we stopped being the lovable losers. Winning breeds envy, which leads to hatred. I used to hate the EE but now I just pity them.

No offense, this seems to be the excuse Rider Fans give. And it's totally not the case. Or else most of the CFL would hate the Als, BC, and Calgary. All which have been successful and winning the last 5 years.

paulwoods13
11-25-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm just amazed that more wasn't said on the broadcast or in the written reports I've seen so far about what the hell was wrong with Burris. That one unexpected snap where he stood there and pointed to his centre quizzically instead of chasing after the ball told me he should have been pulled immediately from the game -- it was like he was dealing with the after-effects of a concussion or something. Yet the broadcasters basically just moved on, and the early report from Drew Edwards in the Spec simply called it a mixup on the o-line and didn't even mention Burris's bizarre reaction.

Mulder
11-25-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm just amazed that more wasn't said on the broadcast or in the written reports I've seen so far about what the hell was wrong with Burris. That one unexpected snap where he stood there and pointed to his centre quizzically instead of chasing after the ball told me he should have been pulled immediately from the game -- it was like he was dealing with the after-effects of a concussion or something. Yet the broadcasters basically just moved on, and the early report from Drew Edwards in the Spec simply called it a mixup on the o-line and didn't even mention Burris's bizarre reaction.

It was mentioned on the broadcast that he may have thought the ball wasn't whistled in.

paulwoods13
11-25-2013, 08:37 AM
It was mentioned on the broadcast that he may have thought the ball wasn't whistled in.

I didn't hear that, but even if that really was what he thought, do you just stand there when the ball is loose and everyone else is chasing it? It was a massive brain cramp.

Mulder
11-25-2013, 08:45 AM
I didn't hear that, but even if that really was what he thought, do you just stand there when the ball is loose and everyone else is chasing it? It was a massive brain cramp.

If the Riders scored it probably would have been mentioned more. But Hamilton got the ball back.

You could tell how the way the game was going to go early on when Durant got drilled and fumbled the ball into Sheets hands.

IMO, The Riders are going to be in trouble next season if/when he goes to the NFL. He easily won them 7-8 games, including west final and Grey Cup.

VANRIDERFAN
11-25-2013, 09:00 AM
No offense, this seems to be the excuse Rider Fans give. And it's totally not the case. Or else most of the CFL would hate the Als, BC, and Calgary. All which have been successful and winning the last 5 years.

Have to respectfully disagree Mulder.
Small market, years and years of losing badly. Free space on the bingo card. I know the Argos had years of futility, but it is not the same. Toronto is hogtown, the big smoke, the place where ALL the decisions (good and bad) for the country were being made. Saskatchewan was the plucky little guy who tried hard but rarely could make the grade. The perpetual Rudy.
Now that Saskatchewan has a bit of swagger, the people who liked the plucky little guy doesn't like him when he starts to hit his stride. And with the internet, the Sask diaspora and that the Roughriders are the only pro team in the province there is the explosion of Rider Nation.

But in the end I won't try to sway you from your opinion. Just giving you an alternative view. Which is sorely lacking in many internet forums (including Riderfans.com) where the echo chambers trump all.

Have a great off-season and lets hope that your stadium situation is sorted out for the benefit of the Argos and the CFL.

VANRIDERFAN
11-25-2013, 09:04 AM
If the Riders scored it probably would have been mentioned more. But Hamilton got the ball back.

You could tell how the way the game was going to go early on when Durant got drilled and fumbled the ball into Sheets hands.

IMO, The Riders are going to be in trouble next season if/when he goes to the NFL. He easily won them 7-8 games, including west final and Grey Cup.

It would be a great loss if Sheets were to try the NFL. But he is 29 and there are a new crop of young, cheap NCAA running backs to feed the mill. Also I don't think his running style fits the NFL, bouncing to the outside is great but he will run out of room down south.

Mulder
11-25-2013, 09:08 AM
It would be a great loss if Sheets were to try the NFL. But he is 29 and there are a new crop of young, cheap NCAA running backs to feed the mill. Also I don't think his running style fits the NFL, bouncing to the outside is great but he will run out of room down south.

Yeah, but even still I think he will give NFL a shot. And won't be back until after Labour Day

Will
11-25-2013, 09:42 AM
A friend of the family from Vancouver was in Toronto on business and came over to our house yesterday to watch the game. He is a Lion season ticket holder and he says that he thinks the problem isn't necessarily with the fans who live in Regina themselves, but it is with the diaspora. I still contend it is the fans that seemingly came out of the woodwork after the 2007 Grey Cup that caused this massive shift from "second favorite team" to "most hated." If you look at attendance at Taylor Field pre-2007 it was still pretty good, but a little more fluctuating and hardly at the 100% rate it is at now. Looking at Rider fans every now and then it also annoys me to see threads talking about every other team's attendance problems. Every CFL team (except the Eskies) have had some sort of attendance problems at one point or the other. I have a tweet I think succinctly describes the feelings of many, but I am waiting for permission of author to post it here.

VANRIDERFAN
11-25-2013, 09:48 AM
A friend of the family from Vancouver was in Toronto on business and came over to our house yesterday to watch the game. He is a Lion season ticket holder and he says that he thinks the problem isn't necessarily with the fans who live in Regina themselves, but it is with the diaspora. I still contend it is the fans that seemingly came out of the woodwork after the 2007 Grey Cup that caused this massive shift from "second favorite team" to "most hated." If you look at attendance at Taylor Field pre-2007 it was still pretty good, but a little more fluctuating and hardly at the 100% rate it is at now. Looking at Rider fans every now and then it also annoys me to see threads talking about every other team's attendance problems. Every CFL team (except the Eskies) have had some sort of attendance problems at one point or the other. I have a tweet I think succinctly describes the feelings of many, but I am waiting for permission of author to post it here.

Have to agree with you regarding SK fans decrying other teams attendance problems. Most if not all of the Rider fans who beak are fairly young and only know the good times. Older fans who know of the 12,000 people who showed up during the 80's and 90's realize that team support ebb and flow.

1argoholic
11-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Your bang on with that VanRiderFan. The younger Rider fans seem to be the ones who are all hopped on on Pil swill and run their yaps bigtime. I've heard plenty of crap from not so young fans as well. In 95 we Argoholics were treated like gold in Regina up until game time when two guys in their 50's yelled the N word a few times which was the first crap we heard directed at players. In 97 it all went south with Rider bandwagon jumpers treating us like crap in Edmonton. When the Riders start falling down the standings again as each team goes through it we'll see if folks make the long drives that many do.

Will
11-25-2013, 11:04 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Thrilled for the real rider fans I know. The ones who remember al ford and Jeff fairholm and Joe Adams and telethons to save their team.</p>&mdash; Cameron HayGlass (@chayglass) <a href="https://twitter.com/chayglass/statuses/404777555791585280">November 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think this tweet above properly summarizes the feelings of many. I do not think knowing who Al Ford, Jeff Fairholm or Joe Adams is a pre-requisite for being a "real" fan, but the sentiments about the telethon are well taken.

jerrym
11-25-2013, 08:16 PM
After reading all these e-mails, I guess I may be the only guy left for whom Saskatchewan is their second favourite team. With the Argos out, I was able to enjoy the game thoroughly. The biggest difference I saw with the Riders was their complete professional focus on getting the job done, something not always present in earlier attempts to win the Grey Cup.

argolio
11-26-2013, 01:45 AM
The turning point, if there was one, was when Durant fumbled and the Riders still gained 20 yards. The exclamation point as when they converted a 2nd and 19 with a draw play.

I think the big problem with Burris in this game was that the Rider crowd, as they always do, psyched him out. He just can't control his emotions there. Maybe it would have been helped if LeFevour had a couple of drives early to ease Henry into the game.

If John Chick wasn't the best defensive player in the game, then Brandon Boudreaux was. Evan McCollough may have been the worst. Diamond Ferri and Dwight Anderson easily had the least class.

They mentioned on the broadcast that the Riders had 8 new defensive starters this year. That means the '08 Stamps, '12 Argos, and '13 Riders have all won the Cup with hugely revamped defenses.

Double Dare
11-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Everything was geared for Regina and their Grey Cup love in. Very few fans from other teams like normal Grey Cups. Mark Cohon is Green and White with his nose all Brown. Sickening display from TSN covering everything about Sask with very limited stories about Hamilton. At one point Randorf said "oh there's some fans from Ottawa, I mean Ontario" when they showed Hamilton fans. WTF! This will do no good for the overall good of our league. Sask has been pumped up way too much by the league and they just won their forth friggin cup.

Exactly. 1Argoholic is one smart man.

Other team's fans were not really given a chance to show up in their scum-hole city ... but then again who would want to spend more than an hour in the dump!

Mowich
11-27-2013, 10:53 PM

I hoped you enjoyed it, matchuk though we could have hoped for a more entertaining CFL game. I was hoping that Hamilton would really make us work for the win, unfortunately Smilin' Hank had his troubles and for some reason they never really got their running game going - was hoping to see more body-leaping by old CJ.

Being of a slightly mystical bent, when the sun dawned on Grey Cup day in clear skies and the highest temps all week, I had a feeling that more was at work for this game then just the fervor of our fans and the determination of our team. (wink) There has been much talk of the turning point in the game but for me that came when our team defied tradition and entered the field en masse. I knew then that no matter the score, our guys were finally, finally going to come out on top. I'm happy for Rider Nation but my truest and deepest joy belongs to my team especially those guys who have slugged it out for so many losing years.

Argo57
11-28-2013, 12:14 AM
I hoped you enjoyed it, matchuk though we could have hoped for a more entertaining CFL game. I was hoping that Hamilton would really make us work for the win, unfortunately Smilin' Hank had his troubles and for some reason they never really got their running game going - was hoping to see more body-leaping by old CJ.

Being of a slightly mystical bent, when the sun dawned on Grey Cup day in clear skies and the highest temps all week, I had a feeling that more was at work for this game then just the fervor of our fans and the determination of our team. (wink) There has been much talk of the turning point in the game but for me that came when our team defied tradition and entered the field en masse. I knew then that no matter the score, our guys were finally, finally going to come out on top. I'm happy for Rider Nation but my truest and deepest joy belongs to my team especially those guys who have slugged it out for so many losing years.

Congrats Mowich!!
Sure makes for a much more enjoyable off season, Riders were deserving in every way!!!

AngeloV
11-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I think the big problem with Burris in this game was that the Rider crowd, as they always do, psyched him out. He just can't control his emotions there. Maybe it would have been helped if LeFevour had a couple of drives early to ease Henry into the game.

I still can't understand why LeFevour didn't go in at all. Though I'm not a fan of bringing him in on first down and then going to Burris if there is no success on first down (2nd and long is a crappy situation to have to come in on), I think they should have put him in to change the pace of the game. They needed to possess the ball more than they did, and it may have actually lit a fire under Burris when it was his turn to go back in.

I really don't think Burris will be back in the Hammer in 2014. It was as if Austin gave him the game to see where to go with the future at QB, and sadly for him, he failed.

Mowich
11-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Congrats Mowich!!
Sure makes for a much more enjoyable off season, Riders were deserving in every way!!!

Thank you so much, Argo57. Can hardly wait for next season to start. Will be very interesting to see who replaces Chris Jones now that he is the new Esks head coach - kudos to Chris on getting the job.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8