View Full Version : 102nd Grey Cup

matchuk
11-19-2013, 03:18 PM
i had forgotten it was in BC, but seeing it on the screen the other day at the Argos game, i'm wondering why they are going back to BC?

i know cities bid on the game, but Winnipeg has a brand new stadium....why couldn't they get it? i understand Hamilton and Ottawa wouldn't work because of the new stadium (it would be hard to configure/set up before even playing a single game in there)....i think 2 grey cup games in 4 years is a little nuts

Mulder
11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
i had forgotten it was in BC, but seeing it on the screen the other day at the Argos game, i'm wondering why they are going back to BC?

i know cities bid on the game, but Winnipeg has a brand new stadium....why couldn't they get it? i understand Hamilton and Ottawa wouldn't work because of the new stadium (it would be hard to configure/set up before even playing a single game in there)....i think 2 grey cup games in 4 years is a little nuts

Winnipeg withdrew their bid because the convention centre is scheduled to undergo renovations. Montreal didn't want to host because they were not sure how the roof would hold up.

Tau Ceti
11-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Rumour has it the league wants to reward Braley for all he's done taking over the Lions and Argos. Thus he's gotten 3 of 4 Grey Cups.

Mulder
11-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Rumour has it the league wants to reward Braley for all he's done taking over the Lions and Argos. Thus he's gotten 3 of 4 Grey Cups.

You've been reading too much of The Star, and listening too much of The Fan 590.

Tau Ceti
11-19-2013, 04:51 PM
You've been reading too much of The Star, and listening too much of The Fan 590.

Not at all! My rumours come from posters on this board.

Mulder
11-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Not at all! My rumours come from posters on this board.

Yeah, forums are good for rumours.. Wasn't I supposed to ban you?

Tau Ceti
11-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Yeah, forums are good for rumours.. Wasn't I supposed to ban you?

I was hoping that ban threat was just a product of post-loss disgruntlement. I was well into my cups at that point and I blame any offensive comments on that. :peekaboo:

AaronInToronto
11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Ha! Decision was made on the following: Game was awarded 1.5 years ago. Winnipeg's new stadiumm wasn't finished. Ditto for Hamilton, Ottawa, Edmonton (refresh) and Calgary (refresh). SK and GTA were out due to previous seasons. Montreal has venue issues. That left BC.

I expect somethhing along the lines of the following for subsequent years:

2014 - Vancouver
2015 - Ottawa
2016 - Winnipeg
2017 - Hamilton
2018 - Edmonton
2019 - Montreal
2020 - Calgary
2021 - Toronto
2022 - Atlantic Canada (Moncton/Halifax)
2023 - Sask

Mulder
11-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Ha! Decision was made on the following: Game was awarded 1.5 years ago. Winnipeg's new stadiumm wasn't finished. Ditto for Hamilton, Ottawa, Edmonton (refresh) and Calgary (refresh). SK and GTA were out due to previous seasons. Montreal has venue issues. That left BC.

I expect somethhing along the lines of the following for subsequent years:

2014 - Vancouver
2015 - Ottawa
2016 - Winnipeg
2017 - Hamilton
2018 - Edmonton
2019 - Montreal
2020 - Calgary
2021 - Toronto
2022 - Atlantic Canada (Moncton/Halifax)
2023 - Sask

Ottawa wants to host in 2017 for Canada 150.
Montreal won't beable to host until they know whats going on with Big O's roof. (It could be complete by your estimation)
Hamilton has an "Agreement" to host 2 grey cups in 7 years.
Calgary probably won't host again until after they look at building a new stadium/renovating.

Logically, the next few years will look like this.
2014 - Vancouver
2015 - Winnipeg
2016 - Hamilton
2017 - Ottawa
2018 - Edmonton
2019 + Crap shoot.

Argo57
11-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Ottawa wants to host in 2017 for Canada 150.
Montreal won't beable to host until they know whats going on with Big O's roof. (It could be complete by your estimation)
Hamilton has an "Agreement" to host 2 grey cups in 7 years.
Calgary probably won't host again until after they look at building a new stadium/renovating.

Logically, the next few years will look like this.
2014 - Vancouver
2015 - Winnipeg
2016 - Hamilton
2017 - Ottawa
2018 - Edmonton
2019 + Crap shoot.

Gee
2 Grey cups coming to the Hammer in the next 7 years, what a showcase!!!

argolio
11-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Saskatchewan could get 2018 assuming their new stadium is ready.

1argoholic
11-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Sask shouldn't get the cup again until they build more hotels in that tiny assed little city. Way too many Grey Cup regulars bailed on Grey Cup this year because of how it was run. First time there I was stuck out of town. Last time we lucked out and stayed right downtown. This year I wasn't going to pay top dollar to some crap pit hotel way out of town.

Vancouver gets next year because other places just weren't ready. It'll be Ottawa after Vancouver. I'm in Vancouver hands down next year. Very strange sitting at home on Grey Cup Sunday. I baked a friggin cake today. hahaha. No booze at all in me since last weeks Argo loss.

Go Cats Go!!!!!! Screw The Big Green Incestfest.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Sask shouldn't get the cup again until they build more hotels in that tiny assed little city. Way too many Grey Cup regulars bailed on Grey Cup this year because of how it was run. First time there I was stuck out of town. Last time we lucked out and stayed right downtown. This year I wasn't going to pay top dollar to some crap pit hotel way out of town.

Vancouver gets next year because other places just weren't ready. It'll be Ottawa after Vancouver. I'm in Vancouver hands down next year. Very strange sitting at home on Grey Cup Sunday. I baked a friggin cake today. hahaha. No booze at all in me since last weeks Argo loss.

Go Cats Go!!!!!! Screw The Big Green Incestfest.

I think that Mulder is pretty close with his forecast - i.e., Vancouver, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa should get the next four in that order.

AaronInToronto
11-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Mulder is likely closer. Our first 4 are pretty much the same, but he's probably spot on with the 150th celebration efforts. I've heard rumours around the league that givben new stadiums, they are going to try to get on a more regular rotation of the Grey Cup. That means every 9-10 years for most teams.

matchuk
11-25-2013, 11:05 AM
That means every 9-10 years for most teams.

basically meaning toronto....every other city has had a new stadium/upgrades/expansion in the last few or next few years but us...i dont think calagry has had much but i had heard some rumblings of stadium upgrades

VANRIDERFAN
11-25-2013, 11:22 AM
basically meaning toronto....every other city has had a new stadium/upgrades/expansion in the last few or next few years but us...i dont think calagry has had much but i had heard some rumblings of stadium upgrades
I was talking to the Stampeder VP at the fan forum on Friday. Expect a major announcement in the new year regarding either an upgrade to McMahon or something more substantial involving both the Stampeders and Flames.

Mulder
11-25-2013, 11:23 AM
I was talking to the Stampeder VP at the fan forum on Friday. Expect a major announcement in the new year regarding either an upgrade to McMahon or something more substantial involving both the Stampeders and Flames.

I was just going to post this here. :)

7dj83r8f78t4alf8