PDA

View Full Version : NFL to CFL Players.

Valdal
11-19-2013, 03:34 PM
First off Hello. I am new to these boards and some what new to the CFL. I have been following the Argos for some years now, but have not seen as many games as i want to.

So with the recent Signing of Aaron Maybin a former 1st round 10th overall draft pick in 2009. I am wondering if there are any Toronto Argonaughts that are former NFL players like him? Are there any in the league?

Maybin had some hype coming out of his draft year, but was mis managed and has a attitude issue. He seems like a perfect player for the CFL once he gets a full training camp and 18 games.

Will
11-19-2013, 05:16 PM
First off welcome to the board.

There are a number of players in the CFL who have NFL experience. Aaron Maybin was a first round draft pick and some of them will come up to the league if they prove to be a bust in the NFL. There are also some such as Ricky Ray who have had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

ArgoGabe22
11-19-2013, 05:29 PM
You'll always get guys bouncing around training camp rosters and practice rosters, probably too many to count but I assume you're looking for more big name guys.

Troy Smith - 3rd round
Jerious Norwood - 3rd round
Ricardo Colclough - 2nd round
Chad Owens - 6th round
Marcus Thomas - 4th round
Mike Sims Walker - 3rd round

Fumblitis
11-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Basically most of the American players that come here are players that went undrafted in the NFL, never even got a look from the NFL, or went in the later rounds of their draft year. Now there are probably more reasons but the one of the biggest reasons is they are simply undersized as typical NFL players so they come to Canada. The speed, tempo and field size require a smaller faster player.

Valdal
11-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks Boys.

I am just curious Aaron Maybin had some hype.. And from the game i saw him play looks very undersized for the NFL.

Any NFL Player that was Drafted who moved to the CFL i am interested in.. I don't know why just something about the Speed of the CFL game translates to some being successful from the NFL and some not..

Any other former 1st or 2nd round picks that are playing in the CFL right now.Was the Tim Tebow rumor true?

Ballstothewall
11-20-2013, 01:16 AM
Thanks Boys.

I am just curious Aaron Maybin had some hype.. And from the game i saw him play looks very undersized for the NFL.

Any NFL Player that was Drafted who moved to the CFL i am interested in.. I don't know why just something about the Speed of the CFL game translates to some being successful from the NFL and some not..

Any other former 1st or 2nd round picks that are playing in the CFL right now.Was the Tim Tebow rumor true?

Size has a lot to do with it. The CFL requires a different type of player at certain positions, most of your 24lb NFL LB could not play in the CFL, due to the fact that LB are forced to cover more of the pass in the CFL. There are also a lot of former NFL players that are now in the CFL because of the union contract in the NFL, that stipulated that 3rd and 4th year player must make 750,000, or so. It's cheaper for NFL teams to go get a Rookie or second year player, then to pay a 3 down back with 4 years in the league 750,000, so they come North if they got the skill

1argoholic
11-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Just listen to any game covered by Rod Black. He has a love in with exNFLers and likes to tell CFL fans during every break in play. Personally he pisses me off. I could care less if a guy had NFL experience just as long as he can handle our great game north of the border. Some big names in the past couldn't. Vince Feragamo sucked for Montreal and he was a big name NFLer back in the day. I'll take an undrafted NFLer with all the talent in the world who just doesn't fit the NFL mold any day.

Neely2005
11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Well this is the reverse but you still might find it interesting:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/20/the-greatest-cfl-to-nfl-players

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Microgalleries/2013/11/20/21281321.html

argolio
11-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Just listen to any game covered by Rod Black. He has a love in with exNFLers and likes to tell CFL fans during every break in play.I was watching a bit of the EF replay, and Black called Luke Tasker son of NFL hall-of-famer Steve Tasker. One minor problem -- he isn't in the HOF.

ArgoGabe22
11-21-2013, 01:54 PM
I was watching a bit of the EF replay, and Black called Luke Tasker son of NFL hall-of-famer Steve Tasker. One minor problem -- he isn't in the HOF.

And not even close. If there was a Special Teams HOF then Tasker would be in for sure.

argos1873
11-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Just listen to any game covered by Rod Black. He has a love in with exNFLers and likes to tell CFL fans during every break in play. Personally he pisses me off. I could care less if a guy had NFL experience just as long as he can handle our great game north of the border. Some big names in the past couldn't. Vince Feragamo sucked for Montreal and he was a big name NFLer back in the day. I'll take an undrafted NFLer with all the talent in the world who just doesn't fit the NFL mold any day.

I don't mind that he or any other play-by-play man, mentions a players background, and if that background includes the NFL so be it. To purposely ignore it would be like saying no one should mention that Josh Bartel played Aussie rules football. But you're right, Rod Black mentions it way too often, even repeatedly, that its embarrassing. But then, Rod is no stranger to embarassment.

argos1873
11-21-2013, 09:30 PM
And not even close. If there was a Special Teams HOF then Tasker would be in for sure.

Exactly, good player with a big heart, but no HOF'er.

ArgoRavi
11-23-2013, 11:06 AM
I don't mind that he or any other play-by-play man, mentions a players background, and if that background includes the NFL so be it. To purposely ignore it would be like saying no one should mention that Josh Bartel played Aussie rules football. But you're right, Rod Black mentions it way too often, even repeatedly, that its embarrassing. But then, Rod is no stranger to embarassment.

Bartel is an Aussie?! I can't believe that Rod hasn't mentioned that before. ;)

argos1873
11-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Bartel is an Aussie?! I can't believe that Rod hasn't mentioned that before. ;)

LOL, how else do you think I knew that? But it proves my point that its ok to mention it once or twice, but not every single time. I actually wouldn't have known that unless I went through every transaction of every team, and scoured the rosters of every team. Sure some people have the time or interest to do that, but I don't. And I bet many other people don't. Some NFL analysts will mention that a player had played in the CFL, occasionally. I like to know the background of players. But Rod Black, well, I don't know what else to say.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8