PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones to Edmonton

Argocister
11-23-2013, 10:36 AM
So .....
Arash Madani has on twitter that Chris Jones will be taking the HC position in Edmonton.

Even though the defence wasn't in synch by the end of the season, (let's face it, most of the team wasn't peaking) I would actually prefer to keep him. But life continues ....... ( sigh)

ArgoGabe22
11-23-2013, 10:50 AM
I hope this doesn't mean Tim Burke becomes DC. His job as DC wasn't bad but he looked so lost in Winnipeg.

ArgoRavi
11-23-2013, 10:53 AM
I hope this doesn't mean Tim Burke becomes DC. His job as DC wasn't bad but he looked so lost in Winnipeg.

Burke is probably someone, like Rich Stubler and George Cortez, who is more effective as an assistant coach than as a head coach. Burke may not take a job for another year though as he still getting paid by the Bombers for at least the next year or two.

If Jones does leave Toronto, I suspect that Mike O'Shea will become the defensive coordinator.

Will
11-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Mike O'Shea as defensive co-ordinator? I don't know, it's not like special teams have been great the last couple of years. A bit leery of giving him a promotion.

matchuk
11-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Mike O'Shea as defensive co-ordinator? I don't know, it's not like special teams have been great the last couple of years. A bit leery of giving him a promotion.

i agree, not sure he would be a good fit...

i would love to see jordan younger come back, as our defensive coordinator

ArgoGabe22
11-23-2013, 11:35 AM

I think JY would have to have a smaller role like DB coach before becoming the DC

Will
11-23-2013, 11:36 AM

I wouldn't bring JY back as a defensive co-ordinator right away. Let him coach the DB's for a few years like Steinauer did.

matchuk
11-23-2013, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't bring JY back as a defensive co-ordinator right away. Let him coach the DB's for a few years like Steinauer did.

oh yeah, i definitely agree with that...just dont feel good about o'shea as dc...

Cordo
11-23-2013, 12:13 PM
His defense wasn't in sync all season. Still, Jones was DC when we won the Grey Cup so he can't be that bad. Wish him well in Edmonton.

Argo57
11-23-2013, 12:36 PM
A year ago this news might have concerned me, after this seasons recruiting and defensive performance not so much, time for a change.
O'Shea may in fact be more suited as a DC than special teams coach, like the idea regarding Younger as DB's coach.
I'm sure the Argonauts will come up with a more than suitable replacement.

Skinny G
11-23-2013, 12:45 PM
If we're staying mainly within... I personally think O'Shea may not be a bad choice to move up to DC. Would've been nice to still have Steinhauer around to promote up. As for a DB coach, Younger or maybe even Pee Wee Smith? Another guy that they may want to consider as a defensive assistant may be Eiben as well. If O'Shea did end up becoming the DC here, I wouldn't mind them reaching out to Marcello Simmons to be our STC again. I believe he's coaching at St. Mary's at the moment.

gilthethrill
11-23-2013, 01:06 PM
All I can think about is Hamilton having possession of the ball for something like 24 minutes in the 2nd half last Sunday.

paulwoods13
11-23-2013, 02:47 PM
I will shed no tears if Jones leaves. He did a sub-par job as both a coach and a recruiter this season, IMO. I would be fine with O'Shea moving up to DC. He knows defence and now has four years of coaching experience. I don't think you can judge his readiness for a promotion based on special teams play this season. He had a lot of rookies and we don't know how aggressive he was asked to be with them. I believe we already have a secondary coach so there is no job open for Younger at the moment. If O'Shea moves up, would Prefontaine be hired as ST coach? I could see it happening.

AngeloV
11-23-2013, 03:04 PM

I would have no problems with Burke as a DC. Offence has been the problem in Winnipeg ever since Buck Pierce started getting hurt on a weekly basis.

I disagree. Their kick coverage teams were quite good this year.

ArgoRavi
11-23-2013, 03:24 PM
The Argo kick coverage teams, I believe, were the best in the league. The return game hasn't been quite as good over the last three years as it was in 2010 but I believe that it is far from being the worst in the league.

O'Shea as defensive co-ordinator with Prefontaine becoming special teams co-ordinator makes a lot of sense. This is assuming that Jones does move to Edmonton and I have also read that they still have final interviews to do next week.

BTW, Ed Hervey has said that the potential coaching staff that a head coach candidate proposes would be the key as to whether that individual gets the job or not. If Jones does leave for Edmonton, does he try to take the likes of O'Shea, Marcus Brady and Steve McAdoo with him?

ArgoGabe22
11-23-2013, 03:37 PM
BTW, Ed Hervey has said that the potential coaching staff that a head coach candidate proposes would be the key as to whether that individual gets the job or not. If Jones does leave for Edmonton, does he try to take the likes of O'Shea, Marcus Brady and Steve McAdoo with him?

Would Brady leave to have the same job? McAddo said no to a lateral move to Montreal before so I assume he'll stay. O'Shea is the most likely to leave if he doesn't get the DC job here but in EDM.

argotom
11-23-2013, 03:44 PM
After the disaster and the horrid performance by his defense in the East Final and the overall inept yearly performance, I hope Jones gets the Esks job. Good riddance.

Argo57
11-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Would Brady leave to have the same job? McAddo said no to a lateral move to Montreal before so I assume he'll stay. O'Shea is the most likely to leave if he doesn't get the DC job here but in EDM.

Brady and Milanovich seem close, can't see him leaving for similar post in Edmonton, same for O Line coach.
Some change regarding the coaching staff could be a blessing in disguise!!

AngeloV
11-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Good riddance.

Are you stealing your material from Andrew Harris?

Argo57
11-23-2013, 04:40 PM
I will shed no tears if Jones leaves. He did a sub-par job as both a coach and a recruiter this season, IMO. I would be fine with O'Shea moving up to DC. He knows defence and now has four years of coaching experience. I don't think you can judge his readiness for a promotion based on special teams play this season. He had a lot of rookies and we don't know how aggressive he was asked to be with them. I believe we already have a secondary coach so there is no job open for Younger at the moment. If O'Shea moves up, would Prefontaine be hired as ST coach? I could see it happening.

I would assume any new coordinator will bring in their own positional coaches anyway.

Argo
11-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Amen. You're preaching to the choir on this point.

Argo
11-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Burke is probably someone, like Rich Stubler and George Cortez, who is more effective as an assistant coach than as a head coach. Burke may not take a job for another year though as he still getting paid by the Bombers for at least the next year or two.

If Jones does leave Toronto, I suspect that Mike O'Shea will become the defensive coordinator.

Sounds like not too bad a plan, Ravi. It's too bad the timing on Jones' move is off by a year... Orlondo could have been our defensive coordinator.

Argo
11-23-2013, 05:32 PM
After the disaster and the horrid performance by his defense in the East Final and the overall inept yearly performance, I hope Jones gets the Esks job. Good riddance.

The prospect of Jones moving on is not troubling in the least, IMO.

ArgoRavi
11-23-2013, 06:39 PM

The carrot that Jones could dangle is an assistant head coach position. The one assistant I would least like to see leave Toronto is McAdoo who may be as good of an o-line coach as there is. Let's also not forget that some pending free agents such as Ball and McCune could follow Jones just as Evan McCollough followed Steinauer to Hamilton last off-season.

argotom
11-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Sounds like not too bad a plan, Ravi. It's too bad the timing on Jones' move is off by a year... Orlondo could have been our defensive coordinator. I would think Mike would be the obvious choice, with his years of playing.

hugoagogo
11-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Nothing confirmed yet from Eskimo land. Terry Jones was the first to suggest Chris Jones was gonna be the pick. Arash jumped onto the story knowing that Terry Jones' relationship with Hervey is good, so there was probably merit in the speculation. Having a story like this break could certainly scare away other candidates if in fact Ed still hasn't made up his mind. Despite this, many are feeling it's a solid rumour.

Lots of speculation that among other people Jason Maas could be somebody coming along with Chris Jones to be OC in Edmonton. Now, I really like Maas and believe the guy has massive football smarts. He was expected to move to coaching in Edmonton, but ET and Maas didn't mesh. Like I said, I like the way Maas sees the game, but I personally feel that it might be early to make him an OC. Marcus Brady only had 3 years as a positional coach before becoming OC. Maas has two, so not that different. But Brady can lean on Milanovich. Maas wouldn't have that luxury in Edmonton.

So, honest question for you Argo fans. Do you thing Jason Maas is ready to make that leap? Or is he better served to stay in TO and continue to learn from Scott?

doubleblue
11-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Wow all these rumours of Argo Coaches leaving the ship. I guess if they can improve their positions and increase the paycheck you can't blame them. Jones to Edmonton, taking Mass with him and O'Shea being courted by Winnipeg. Makes me wonder if Milanovich is getting feelers from down South, maybe a OC job with Trestman or a Head Coaching position at Div I school. Jobs that would pay more money and could be a stepping stone to a NFL HC job. I'm starting to scare myself thinking like that. Jim Barker back as HC and GM anyone. Lets hope Chris Jones is the only defection and we won't miss a beat next year.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 01:55 AM
Wow all these rumours of Argo Coaches leaving the ship. I guess if they can improve their positions and increase the paycheck you can't blame them. Jones to Edmonton, taking Mass with him and O'Shea being courted by Winnipeg. Makes me wonder if Milanovich is getting feelers from down South, maybe a OC job with Trestman or a Head Coaching position at Div I school. Jobs that would pay more money and could be a stepping stone to a NFL HC job. I'm starting to scare myself thinking like that. Jim Barker back as HC and GM anyone. Lets hope Chris Jones is the only defection and we won't miss a beat next year.

Milanovich said earlier this week that, while you can never say anything for certain, he is very happy with his job in Toronto.

Will
11-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I thought Brady's connection was to Milanovich and not Jones? I agree that the only carrot that Jones would be able to dangle is an assistant head coach position. In addition, isn't McAdoo from Barker's staff of 2010-2011? Not necessarily a "Jones guy" either.

Stevoman
11-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I was as disappointed in the second half's performance as anyone but am not willing to say "good riddance" to anyone. It would set us back to lose Chris Jones and so I hope he is around for another season. By and large, coaching has not been a problem the last 2 years and am willing to give them all another chance. Should they choose to go, then we move on.

Argo57
11-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I was as disappointed in the second half's performance as anyone but am not willing to say "good riddance" to anyone. It would set us back to lose Chris Jones and so I hope he is around for another season. By and large, coaching has not been a problem the last 2 years and am willing to give them all another chance. Should they choose to go, then we move on.

Coaching has not been an issue since Milanovich has arrived with the exception of this years defensive schemes and obvious lack of talent, whether the schemes or players (or both) were the issue it falls entirely on Chris Jones as he was responsible for both.

ArgoGabe22
11-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Offence had good rythem, pretty much being the same offence as last years with the exception of Chiles and Norwood replacing the injured Kackert. Defence on the other hand had no consistency and I would think Jones was a reason for that. The player turnover ratio was mind boggling. We must have had 30 different guys start a game.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I thought Brady's connection was to Milanovich and not Jones? I agree that the only carrot that Jones would be able to dangle is an assistant head coach position. In addition, isn't McAdoo from Barker's staff of 2010-2011? Not necessarily a "Jones guy" either.

McAdoo was on the same 2006 Montreal coaching staff with Milanovich and Jones and Brady was one of the QBs on that team so they are all connected from there. Anyway, Dave Naylor just said that it is iffy if Jones will get the control that he has currently in Toronto in Edmonton so that could end up being a deal-breaker if Hervey isn't willing to accommodate Jones. Gary Lawless from the Winnipeg Free Press says that Kyle Walters will be the GM in Winnipeg (not sure about that choice) with Mike O'Shea and Khari Jones as the top head coaching candidates.

Will
11-27-2013, 10:18 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Argos&amp;src=hash">#Argos</a> need a new D.C. Reports say Chris Jones will be intro&#39;d as new Eskimos&#39; coach today. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23CFL&amp;src=hash">#CFL</a></p>&mdash; Don Landry (@CFLLandry) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFLLandry/statuses/405716418986901504">November 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

doubleblue
11-27-2013, 11:52 AM
It is official Chris Jones new HC of the Eskimoes. Now we will have to wait for all the other shoes to drop. Rumours are turning into facts.

flafson
11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
That sucks, i'm worried about losing Ball and Mccune first and then i'm worried about who's bringing players from the US. Ever since we had Jones the Argos did a really good job in that department.

bigzee19
11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Well this sucks.

We will see a turnover on the D once again. One player that I think we overlook and could see go with Chris is McCune. We have to do everything possible to keep him here. In my opinion. He is smart a force and a play maker that this D is going to need next year.

Good Luck Chris. all the best......See you in the Grey Cup!!

1argoholic
11-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Edmonton has a horrible track record as of late and i think this hire won't help. I can't see Jones as a Head Coach.

Well so it starts.

AngeloV
11-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Well this sucks.

We will see a turnover on the D once again. One player that I think we overlook and could see go with Chris is McCune. We have to do everything possible to keep him here. In my opinion. He is smart a force and a play maker that this D is going to need next year.

Good Luck Chris. all the best......See you in the Grey Cup!!

Nice post.

After having some time to let the sting of the EF to go away, I have to say, I think Jones has taken a bit of an unjust beating on here. Even I blamed his defence for the loss to the Cats. I still stand by the thought that the defence was to blame, but not necessarily Jones. Just goes to show the nature of forums and knee jerk reactions from their members. There are so many complaints about the turnover from last years D to this years. A closer look will say that he had no control over JY and Ahmad Carroll retiring. No control over Armond Armstead going to the NFL. No control over Rickey Foley leaving for Regina for bigger $$ (by the way, I can't wait to see how much they exceeded the SMS by). People here had been complaining about the diminishing performances of Flemons and Huntley for a long time. They were replaced and then the same people that complained it was time to get rid of them, complain that they did get rid of them.

Then I read comments like "good riddance", and I can't help but shake my head. To the best of my knowledge, he didn't sleep with a girlfriend /wife of any of the members here. Why all the hatred towards a man that in 2 years here, was a very big reason that the team won a Grey Cup. I'll take those results any day.

Will
11-27-2013, 03:19 PM
I think some are blaming him for not having adequately replaced these players. It's not an easy task I know, but not everyone thinks that way.

bluto
11-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Jones was dealt a shit hand this season and did his best with it. i think that overall, the 2013 Argo defence will be remembered as not-good-enough and while Jones was the man at its helm, i can't fault him for the late retirement of his captain, the hissy-fit retirement of a key contributor, the personal issues then injuries of another... there were personnel issues that just didn't allow this side to bed-in.

nobody can argue that Jones isn't a winner. 12 seasons. 12 playoffs. 6 finals. 3 Grey Cups.

good luck Chris, don't pick our roster too clean... focus on your old pal Huff's roster instead.

ArgoRavi
11-27-2013, 03:56 PM
I am sad to see Jones go as he has contributed much to the Argos over the last two years. As has been mentioned, you can't blame him for the likes of Younger and Carroll retiring, Armstead heading south, Foley heading for the big dollars of Saskatchewan, McCollough heading for Hamilton, and Pacino Horne willingly heading for obscurity. He tried to find the right pieces and mould them into another championship-calibre defence but, unfortunately, ran out of time.

I am not sure whether he will be a good fit with Ed Hervey in Edmonton but the best of luck to him. Chances are looking good that another one of the co-ordinators, Mike O'Shea, will become the head coach in Winnipeg. We should take these moves as confirmation of the strength of the organization that the Argos have built.

Nob
11-27-2013, 05:02 PM
I like Ball and McCune, but to me Watkins is the one that is irreplaceable

The one thing that happened over the last 2 years that frustrated me was that the Argos were near the bottom of the league in sacks. Maybe it was personnel. Maybe it was scheme.

The one thing about Winnipeg's defence under Burke was that they got to the QB.

Players come, and players go. The roster is pretty deep with talent if some of these guys follow Jones. Morley is a good player. He or Horton could fill Ball's spot if he leaves. Pottinger for McCune? I get it that these are not the same as the starters that ended this season, and the Cup season, but all is not doom and gloom.........unless Watkins leaves........lol.

OV Argo
11-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Congrats and good luck to C. Jones (he'll need it working with a clown like Mr. Ed in Edmonton).

As far as raiding current Argo players - the Esks, IMO, have a lot of talent on D and at linebacker they have Sherritt (best D player in the league 2 seasons ago till injury problems), Munoz, vet TJ Hill (maybe expendable?) and Rene Curran (highly rated by some for his play replacing Sherritt last season); he might want to take some current Argos with him - Marcus Ball and Pat Watkins are the 2 best Argo defenders IMO - but not sure many of the current Argo D could make the Esks squad. And if Jones agrees with some experts who think that Sherritt is too "under-sized" or maybe injury prone to play linebacker in the CFL - please - trade him to the Argos; a play-making defensive stud like Sherritt is rarely seen in the CFL anymore; and throw in Justin Capicotti (viewed as a back-up by Mavis) in the deal too please Chris.

paulwoods13
11-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Count me among those who does consider Jones seriously culpable for the ills of our defence this year. Sure, he did not control the departure of (most of) those who left. But my understanding is that he was either primarily or solely responsible for recruiting on defence. Virtually every new defensive player who came to camp did not last long. That's on the recruiter. Even if he didn't expect Horne and Younger to suddenly retire/quit, his job was to find guys who could replace them in a head-to-head competition. That's what is required of recruiters.

His defensive schemes, unconventional but effective in 2012, became positively loopy at times this year. I never again want to see Cleyon Laing dropping back into pass coverage.

His hiring by the Eskimos solves a problem for Milanovich, who would have had to evaluate his best friend's performance and IMO would have had to find it wanting.

Argo
11-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Seems to be a touch of "buyer's remorse" occurring on this forum now that Jones is history. After coming to terms with a generally disappointing year on defence and the loss in the Eastern Final, I wouldn't have minded seeing Jones get one more kick at the can here, though his leaving town is alright too. There was going to be a great deal of change in the Argonauts Defence in either case. Let's see what the new DC can do.

Hopefully, our current best linebackers and cornerback are still in the mix at training camp.

Gill The Thrill
11-27-2013, 07:02 PM
I really hope he takes Junior Robinson with him....his play at DB reminded me of Tad Kornegay, or Wayne Shaw...guys who would always get their names and numbers on TV because they were chasing receivers to the end zone after getting beat. He was brutal in the Eastern Final and brutal for most of the year...emblematic of the talent that Jones brought in to replace the departed players. Someone else mentioned Morley...this guy was brutal in the Eastern Final. He had some OK games but he was nothing much...he took stupid penalties last Sunday and his focus on the field was a frickin joke between plays during TV timeouts. Instead of focusing on Hamilton's possible scheme, this goof was too busy dancing to the music over the PA...and taking the attention to detail away from other Argonaut players...please go with Jones and good riddance...Horton was OK, but obviously no McCune. The only new guy I was fully satisfied with in the Secondary was Jermain Gabriel at Safety. He had a good rookie year, and had a big INT in the East Final...well done.

ArgosCowboy
11-27-2013, 07:15 PM
I like Ball and McCune, but to me Watkins is the one that is irreplaceable

The one thing that happened over the last 2 years that frustrated me was that the Argos were near the bottom of the league in sacks. Maybe it was personnel. Maybe it was scheme.

The one thing about Winnipeg's defence under Burke was that they got to the QB.

Players come, and players go. The roster is pretty deep with talent if some of these guys follow Jones. Morley is a good player. He or Horton could fill Ball's spot if he leaves. Pottinger for McCune? I get it that these are not the same as the starters that ended this season, and the Cup season, but all is not doom and gloom.........unless Watkins leaves........lol.

I agree with you 100% on Watkins, although Ball is a very close second IMO. Lack of pressure and sacks killed us all year and let's be honest, this lead to hanging our secondary out to dry far too often this year. Burke has to be the main target of Coach Milanovich right now and I for one would love to see greater emphasis on pressure.

ArgosCowboy
11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
I really hope he takes Junior Robinson with him....his play at DB reminded me of Tad Kornegay, or Wayne Shaw...guys who would always get their names and numbers on TV because they were chasing receivers to the end zone after getting beat. He was brutal in the Eastern Final and brutal for most of the year...emblematic of the talent that Jones brought in to replace the departed players. Someone else mentioned Morley...this guy was brutal in the Eastern Final. He had some OK games but he was nothing much...he took stupid penalties last Sunday and his focus on the field was a frickin joke between plays during TV timeouts. Instead of focusing on Hamilton's possible scheme, this goof was too busy dancing to the music over the PA...and taking the attention to detail away from other Argonaut players...please go with Jones and good riddance...Horton was OK, but obviously no McCune. The only new guy I was fully satisfied with in the Secondary was Jermain Gabriel at Safety. He had a good rookie year, and had a big INT in the East Final...well done.

You're absolutely on point with how Jamie Robinson played, especially in the EF. He clearly was picked on as the weak link, however I put some of that on the coaching staff. Robinson stood out to me in camp and practices early in the year. Then he got moved around, eventually playing almost every position in the secondary. I think he can certainly play but needs to developed.

Argo57
11-27-2013, 07:32 PM
The Argonaut defence looked lost for most of the year and the main reason we didn't get the chance to repeat.
I am of the belief that most of the defections from last seasons championship defence can be traced back to Jones, perhaps he rubbed many guys the wrong way with his personality (Foley-Horne) and released loyal veterans like Huntley and Flemons without having remotely adequate replacements waiting (which falls on back to Jones), what we saw was a revolving door of mediocrity and confusion which showed itself all season.
Thanks for your contributions Chris but time for a fresh start for all involved, onward and upward for the Argonauts!!!!

jerrym
11-27-2013, 10:31 PM
While I have not always liked everything Jones did on defence and especially disliked the constant rotation of personnel, I agree with Bluto that some of this year's problems came so late that it would have been difficult to find good replacement personnel.

argolio
11-28-2013, 12:15 AM
You're absolutely on point with how Jamie Robinson played, especially in the EF. He clearly was picked on as the weak link, however I put some of that on the coaching staff. Robinson stood out to me in camp and practices early in the year. Then he got moved around, eventually playing almost every position in the secondary. I think he can certainly play but needs to developed.I agree. He got moved around way too much this year.

1argoholic
11-28-2013, 07:28 AM
I just think that Jones is so full of himself that he feels he can ditch players for whatever reason because he feels he can just find new guys to plug in and do well. Well that didn't happen as the D looked like a flock of sheep roaming the hills. haha. They did lock lost.
I'd love to see a pressure D. I remember 96 and 97 when we were sacking machines and it was a blast to watch.

Rich
11-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I am of the belief that most of the defections from last seasons championship defence can be traced back to Jones, perhaps he rubbed many guys the wrong way with his personality (Foley-Horne)

I believe this too. For all we know, Jones may have been the reason McCulloch and Younger wanted to get the hell out of there. We do know that Foley was unhappy with what Jones asked of him, and its entirely possible that others balked at Jones' "my-way-or-the-highway" approach. I think Jones was emboldened by his Assistant GM title, and Barker should learn that giving such a title to a coordinator is a big mistake because it muddies up the chain of command.

ArgoRavi
11-28-2013, 01:23 PM
I believe this too. For all we know, Jones may have been the reason McCulloch and Younger wanted to get the hell out of there. We do know that Foley was unhappy with what Jones asked of him, and its entirely possible that others balked at Jones' "my-way-or-the-highway" approach. I think Jones was emboldened by his Assistant GM title, and Barker should learn that giving such a title to a coordinator is a big mistake because it muddies up the chain of command.

Has Foley ever met a coach that he has been happy with? I am not sure that he has. From the limited reports we received in training camp, Horne was upset with his salary and had a freak out so I don't think that had anything to do with Jones either.

ArgoGabe22
11-28-2013, 05:42 PM
I have a feeling Jones and Hervey may be a bad mix. I predict a another bad year for the Eskimos. To me Jones looks like a career coordinator, his HC days won't be long. Not trying to wish him bad luck or anything but defensive minded coaches haven't done so well and I don't think he'll be any different.

doubleblue
11-28-2013, 06:59 PM
I have a feeling Jones and Hervey may be a bad mix. I predict a another bad year for the Eskimos. To me Jones looks like a career coordinator, his HC days won't be long. Not trying to wish him bad luck or anything but defensive minded coaches haven't done so well and I don't think he'll be anything different. I wonder how much Chris Jones was only Hervey's pick and how much was the Edmonton President's. I don't see Hervey going off on players in public on Chris Jones team. Paul Jones who has been around the Eskimoes for years as a US scout probably had more input in selecting Chris Jones then Ed Hervey did. But if there is a conflict of interest down the road I see Chris Jones coming out on top. I see him as another Don Mathews.

Argo57
11-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Has Foley ever met a coach that he has been happy with? I am not sure that he has. From the limited reports we received in training camp, Horne was upset with his salary and had a freak out so I don't think that had anything to do with Jones either.

Possibly true Ravi but when you cut guys like Huntley, Flemons, and have absolutely no suitable replacements in waiting you get what we saw this season, that falls back on Jones.
Hit the reset button on the entire defence!!

gilthethrill
11-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Possibly true Ravi but when you cut guys like Huntley, Flemons, and have absolutely no suitable replacements in waiting you get what we saw this season, that falls back on Jones.
Hit the reset button on the entire defence!!

How much did Huntley play with Calgary? His replacement Cleyon Laing had a much better year, is younger and a Canadian. Jones had no part of Carroll retiring, Kuale wanting to go to the NFL, same goes from Armstead. I agree a lot turnover took place on defence, but I think Jones tried to fool the other team too much this year instead of allowing his players to just play defence.

Argo57
11-28-2013, 09:19 PM
How much did Huntley play with Calgary? His replacement Cleyon Laing had a much better year, is younger and a Canadian. Jones had no part of Carroll retiring, Kuale wanting to go to the NFL, same goes from Armstead. I agree a lot turnover took place on defence, but I think Jones tried to fool the other team too much this year instead of allowing his players to just play defence.

Unfortunately Jones didn't fool anyone this past season.

AngeloV
11-29-2013, 10:41 AM
I have a feeling Jones and Hervey may be a bad mix. I predict a another bad year for the Eskimos. To me Jones looks like a career coordinator, his HC days won't be long. Not trying to wish him bad luck or anything but defensive minded coaches haven't done so well and I don't think he'll be any different.

I don't know, Wally Buono (past) and Corey Chaimblin (present) have done all right. Don Matthews was also a D-coordinator bbefore he was given his first chance as a head coach, and Jones personality reminds me a lot of the Don.

ArgoGabe22
11-29-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't know, Wally Buono (past) and Corey Chaimblin (present) have done all right. Don Matthews was also a D-coordinator bbefore he was given his first chance as a head coach, and Jones personality reminds me a lot of the Don.

Good point but guys like Stubler, Burke, Greg Marshall, Richie Hall, Kavis Reed, come.to.mind.

Argo
11-29-2013, 06:21 PM
I watched Jones' introductory presser at cfl.ca and was impressed: he hit all the right notes.

ArgoGabe22
12-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Mass might be tempted, not sure if EDM is still home or is he already settled living here. Not sure if lateral moves will tempt him or McAdoo unless there is a raise in salary.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Via .<a href="https://twitter.com/SunModdejonge">@SunModdejonge</a>, on Chris Jones&#39; wishlist: Craig Dickenson, Doug Berry, Steve McAdoo, Jason Tucker, &amp; Jason Maas. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23CFL&amp;src=hash">#CFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Esks&amp;src=hash">#Esks</a></p>&mdash; CFL News (@CFL_News) <a href="https://twitter.com/CFL_News/statuses/407901229809795072">December 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ArgoRavi
12-03-2013, 11:59 AM
I believe that Maas has a home in Edmonton and would likely be a candidate to be offensive co-ordinator. I really hope that we don't lose McAdoo but Milanovich could make promote him to assistant head coach in Toronto.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8