PDA

View Full Version : Vanier 2013

Argocister
11-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Congrats to Laval for breaking the odd year curse, and winning the 2013 Vanier.
It was a good game, interesting right to the end. Maybe we can pick up some Oline or RB from the R&O.
With Calgarys team being so young ( only a couple of graduating players) they will be top contenders over the next 3 years. The experience they have gained from being in this game at the PEPS will only make them stronger.

One sad note..... TSN seems to be just as bad as rogers .... Not a word or discussion of the CIS game this week or today. I hate how the media plays or manages what we should be watching. ... Hate being a puppet.

Shouldn't we have a CIS section in the forums rather than putting the info with the " other" sports groups? ( just a comment from an avid CIS football fan :))

Deerkeeper
11-24-2013, 07:51 AM
TSN did report on the game during Sportsdesk, but they just tacked on the end more as a filler. Not much of an effort at all.

Will
11-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't follow CIS that closely, but weren't they planning on doing something that would attempt to break Laval's dominance? Something about them playing all these over-aged players?

Argocister
11-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Laval doesn't play overage players. Their players are generally 22-24 as i) most will play a couple years of CEGEP, ii) They have very deep roster choices.
They still have to follow the rules put in about 4-5 years ago , which is play 5 years of football within 8 years after grade 11. ( the high schools in the Q only go to grade 11 ) Outside of the Q the ruling is 5 in 7
In Ontario, the kids are heading straight to university at age 17-18 ..... so ideally if you wanted the stronger team, for football purposes, they would sit for the first few years then play on the team.
Calgarys play though in the Vanier definitely showed that you can still challenge with the younger team..... just in the trenches the age will make a difference. Give Calgarys team a couple years.... looks like they will be together that long.

ArgoGabe22
11-24-2013, 11:42 AM
I believe Laval had a couple of 25-26 year olds on last years roster. I was shocked to hear that.

Argocister
11-24-2013, 12:25 PM
I believe Laval had a couple of 25-26 year olds on last years roster. I was shocked to hear that.

that may have been a couple of years ago. When the 5 in 7/8 rule came in they had to grandfather some players. That basically took out most of those last year. It was one of the reasons behind a couple of teams having ineligible players last year.
Now saying that, there can be some 25 yr olds as the Q uses the school calendar rather than the regular Jan-Dec calendar. So if your birthday is in the fall, you start school a year later than those whose birthday is in the Jan-Aug. So those students are able to play at this time. The CIS is looking at changing it to an age of 24 being max, but those students then would only have 6 years to finish their 5 years of playing. ..... bit discriminatory .... this rule is not in place yet, but the Q is not in favour. I dont' blame them.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Something has to be done to bring some parity to CIS football. It is hard to get into it when there are only a few teams that really have any legitimate chance at making it to the Vanier every year and Laval wins it more often than not.

gilthethrill
11-24-2013, 02:56 PM
TSN did report on the game during Sportsdesk, but they just tacked on the end more as a filler. Not much of an effort at all.

I had to watch the game on CBC French station. I don't understand why the Championship game got little or no coverage...I have to ask, who were the TV crew on SportsNet 360? I did not think they employed anyone with a Canadian Football background.

gilthethrill
11-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Western had a qb a few years ago, I forget his name, but he was 29. Not sure about his unique circumstance.

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 03:15 PM
I had to watch the game on CBC French station. I don't understand why the Championship game got little or no coverage...I have to ask, who were the TV crew on SportsNet 360? I did not think they employed anyone with a Canadian Football background.

I believe that Mike Morreale was the colour commentator. Justin Dunk, who is a contributor to cfl.ca, also worked on the telecast if I am not mistaken.

OV Argo
11-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Something has to be done to bring some parity to CIS football. It is hard to get into it when there are only a few teams that really have any legitimate chance at making it to the Vanier every year and Laval wins it more often than not.

I guess your against powerhouse dynasty type teams? - did you bemoan the Esks dominating the CFL with 5 straight GC wins back in the day?

Love to see parity in any sport, but some teams are powerhouses for a reason = Laval are the CIS team that other programs should aspire to; and sure they have some sugar-daddy $ adavantages (that are very limited affect in Canadian college ball IMO) but that goes on in sports often (MLB with no salary cap - does the top $pending team win every single season?). And a young Calgary team had the lead in the 2nd half = could easily have won - but couldn't stop Laval's powerful ground game (imagine that - a Canadian football team dominating with a ground game - LOL)>

NO national TV coverage ( i watched the video on SRC and listened to English radio - and i don't get Sportsnet 360 even thouhg i have more than a basic Rogers package) of this game is an embarassment IMO = continues to demonstrate overall lack of respect for Canadian football in it's own country.

Congrats Laval - what a football program; and congrats to the Dinos to for making for a very entertaining game; some of the recent Vanier game have beat the GC in terms of competitive and diverse look football games - just IMO.

ArgoGabe22
11-24-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't have 360 either but I watched it on the regular Sportsnets

ArgoRavi
11-24-2013, 05:23 PM
I guess your against powerhouse dynasty type teams? - did you bemoan the Esks dominating the CFL with 5 straight GC wins back in the day?

Laval has been dominant for over a decade though and routs are not fun to watch - although at least Calgary did give them a game yesterday. Edmonton had some good challengers in their day but Laval just skates through their conference year after year without much of a challenge most years. Let's just see a little parity. I am not asking for much but just a bit more than we currently see in the CIS.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8