PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Sun : Parker not long for Argos

R.J
02-15-2012, 11:40 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/14/parker-not-long-for-argos
On a day when ex-Argos defensive back Lin-J Shell officially signed with the B.C. Lions, the unofficial word is that Byron Parker will soon follow.

And it may unfold by as early as Wednesday when the noon free-agent door swings open.

Parker was basically brought to the CFL by Rich Stubler, who will oversee B.C.’s defence this season.

The defending Grey Cup champs need players in the defensive secondary and Parker certainly fits the bill.

Parker set a CFL record late last season in a win over Winnipeg by returning his ninth interception for a touchdown.

Parker is one of several players on defence the Argos are likely to lose in free agency.

Defensive linemen Alex Buzbee and Ben Ishola are free agents, at least they were as of Tuesday, as are linebackers Jason Pottinger and Kevin Eiben. Willie Pile, who can line up at linebacker or at safety, is also a free agent.

In the Hammer, fullback Agustin Barrenechea, receiver Matt Carter, offensive lineman Jason Jimenez, defensive lineman Matt Kirk and defensive back Jason Shivers are free agents.

Punter/kicker Justin Medlock is also a free agent, but the Ticats have been in contact with Medlock, who is trying to iron out some NFL auditions this week.

There is a chance something may break early Wednesday, but if nothing does then it behooves the Ticats to pursue free agency.

It’s why Burke Dales (Calgary) has been mentioned as Hammer-bound.

1argoholic
02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Funny how guys can be seen as washed up or too expensive for TO but Wally just keeps grabbing these guys and making it all work. Some guys just know how to manage a football club and some don't.

bluto
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Funny how guys can be seen as washed up or too expensive for TO but Wally just keeps grabbing these guys and making it all work. Some guys just know how to manage a football club and some don't.

nobody said they're washed up.

but i'll give you four hundred thousand reasons why Barker et al are restructuring...

1argoholic
02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
So all of the excitement of getting Ray now comes crashing down as we're set to lose a whack of guys who can still play because of Barkers bad juggling act. So he has obviously been over paying plenty of guys thus the need to lose most of them and bring in less expensive rookies from free agent camps in the states. That's what I read into it all.

bluto
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
i suppose we'll wait and see.

if Parker, like Lin-J, is bound for Leo-Land, that still means that Pottinger, Pile, Eiben, Buzbee and Ishola have to be seen to.

we found Parkers, Youngers, Steinauers, Piles and their like before... we'll do it again.

byronparker28
02-15-2012, 01:05 PM
i suppose we'll wait and see.

if Parker, like Lin-J, is bound for Leo-Land, that still means that Pottinger, Pile, Eiben, Buzbee and Ishola have to be seen to.

we found Parkers, Youngers, Steinauers, Piles and their like before... we'll do it again.

I couldn't agree with you more.....Do you remember when I first got here in 2005 with NO football experience and I was the one chosen to take the place of a HOF'er? I bet NO one, including myself thought that things would turn out the way they have in my career. I'm sure that the team is doing everything in its power to sign the right guys. I just hope you guys give the new players as much love that you gave me over the course of my career. I know JY is gonna be the leader of the group and know that he will do everything in his power to make sure that the ship is on the right path. There is a guy named Marcus Ball but we call him Squigg back at home......He's a BALLER and I truly believe he has a very BRIGHT FUTURE. Take care of him and enjoy him. I love you guys and thank you so much for all of the love you've given me. Area 51, thank you as well, because as much as I'm sure many take your post to be insensitive, I actually enjoy your points because they are legit. You've definitely made me a better player. I love you all and I'll see you all very soon.

Parker+Pile+Younger+Crawford=400k

bluto
02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Love right back at you 28. Never regretted paying for my tickets when i saw you play. All the best.

R.J
02-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Right back at you BP, still hoping to see you in an Argos uni. My Argos include BP28 and Tristan Jackson as the corners.

bluto
02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Parker+Pile+Younger+Crawford=400k

like i said in another thread about why we needed to do this sort of changeover... i'll give you four hundred thousand reasons.

R.J
02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
like i said in another thread about why we needed to do this sort of changeover... i'll give you four hundred thousand reasons.Time to restructure Ray's contract lol.

Skinny G
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I still am hoping and praying that you're back here next year BP! I'm hoping there is some sort of "home town" discount available so we're able to keep you around. I don't want to see all our vets leave... especially a true Double Blue player like you. I still remember how pissed I was when you got traded to Edm. Here's to you #28! Hope you're back there anchoring that corner for us in the 100th Grey Cup!

Skinny G
02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Latest tidbit of info on BP....as per Arash Madani

<s>@</s>ArashMadani (http://twitter.com/#%21/ArashMadani) Update on the Byron Parker situation. Former <s>#</s>Argos (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Argos) corner now has multiple offers. In East and West. The dream continues. <s>#</s>CFL (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23CFL)

No word on whether an Argo offer is on the table....

ArgoRavi
02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
I would find it hard to believe that Hamilton wouldn't be interested in Parker and I am guessing that Montreal would have an interest in addition to B.C. If he leaves Toronto, I hope that he ends up in the west.

Midnight Blue
02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
There are certain instincts, within one's soul,

That suggest an envelopement, with one's fans.

Thank You. Toronto Argonauts.

Bloody Hell ! Love it !

Will
02-16-2012, 08:40 AM
If this is indeed the end, then I'd like to wish Byron all the best! I was wondering who was going to replace a great CB in Adrion Smith after the 2005 season and my question was answered by Labour Day that season when Byron almost single handily turned a 12-6 Argo lead after 3 quarters into a 40-6 romp with two pick six. The only regret is that he has not been able to lift the Grey Cup.

Skinny G
02-16-2012, 09:43 AM
As per Dave Naylor from later last night.... looks like BP is gone... Stubler is getting some of his boys... really sad to see this happen...

<s>@</s>TSNDaveNaylor (http://twitter.com/#%21/TSNDaveNaylor)Just spoke to Byron Parker. He hasn't yet signed deal with BC Lions but said "That's where I'm going to be ... I'm really excited." <s>#</s>cfl (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23cfl)

1argoholic
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
This is the real crappy part of sport. Hopefully we find the next superstar to play for us. BC will be very tough to beat again. If they actually win some of their first five games look out. haha.

argonaut11xx
02-17-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.cfl.ca/article/ball-hawk-byron-lands-in-bc

#28 is a lion

ArgoGabe22
02-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I heard from someone who talked with management (supposedly) and said Barker didn't even give Byron an offer. If thats the case I am very dissapointed there wasn't even an attempt to resign last years best player on offence, INT for TDs lol

ArgoRavi
02-17-2012, 03:31 PM
I heard from someone who talked with management (supposedly) and said Barker didn't even give Byron an offer. If thats the case I am very dissapointed there wasn't even an attempt to resign last years best player on offence, INT for TDs lol

Barker said that he would not offer a vet a contract at all if the only alternative was an insulting offer. Obviously, he didn't feel that he could offer Parker the kind of money that he was looking for so it was time to move on for both parties. Parker seemed to know this last October because he said goodbye to all of the fans prior to the final two or three games of the season.

argolio
02-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Sad to see Byron go, and I wish him well in B.C.

Because of his emotional speech after the 2010 playoff win in Hamilton, I'll never trash him.

Area 51
02-17-2012, 05:07 PM

To not even get an offer is a pretty telling indictment. I'm looking forward to seeing how things unfold in BC for Parker, Shell, Stubler and the gang.

1argoholic
02-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I could never slap a guy in the face like that. Byron was always first class!!!! Karma will bite Barker in the ass as Byron will pick one and take it to house against us. At least I get to cheer for him in every game other than the ones against our houses teams, Toronto and Calgary.

ArgoRavi
02-17-2012, 08:46 PM
I could never slap a guy in the face like that. Byron was always first class!!!! Karma will bite Barker in the ass as Byron will pick one and take it to house against us. At least I get to cheer for him in every game other than the ones against our houses teams, Toronto and Calgary.

Barker would say that it would be more insulting to Parker to give him a low-ball offer. Barker was the one who brought Parker back to Toronto from Edmonton in the first place so I doubt that these two have hard feelings towards one another. This is the way the business goes.

R.J
02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey Ravi, don't you think it's about time you add Barnes to your signature ?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8